Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ultimate barbershop fragrance?

We all know Rive Gauche and there is the lesser known Helmut Lang EDC but which one is your favorite barbershop scent? Is it between those two or are there other uncompromising barbershop style fragrances? By barbershop I mean traditional American style barbershop not European/Mediterranean barbershop.

Default Re: Ultimate barbershop fragrance?

My favorite remains Rive Gauche

I still have to experience though many more scents in the style of Old Spice, Canoe etc.

Rive Gauche is the typical American barbershop style scent. Antico Caruso is European
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Rive Gauche. Azzaro PH, Italian Cypress, Z-14 Wasnt there a recent thread about this ?

Tabac Original Cologne. Look no further. It's THE perfect barbershop fragrance. High quality, extremely potent, complex, and amazingly inexpensive to boot. I love the 10 oz bottle, shaped like a bowling pin. A must for any well-rounded collection.

Another one for Rive Gauche and Azzaro Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by nersh View Post
    wasnt there a recent thread about this ?

Yes!!!

I tried CdG Dover Street Market in the store the other day, and it struck me as quite barbershoppy. I need a sample to get a better idea of it, but that was my initial impression and I thought it was great.

Brut ( in glass bottle with the medallion ) very similar to Rive gauche.

XXL by Daniel Hechter

I don't get what people mean by barbershop fragrance, The barbershop i go to has no smell at all.

I have smelled old spice original - deodorant , is that the smell you are referring to?

I get an upscale barbershop vibe from Sartorial.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

AromiErotici

Vintage Paco Rabanne ( 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post
    I don't get what people mean by barbershop fragrance, The barbershop i go to has no smell at all.

I have smelled old spice original - deodorant , is that the smell you are referring to?
    In decades past and not so much now when you went into a old style barbershop. After a cut they used to slap a fragrance on your face and also you could have a shave with a old style razor. That smell is what is referred to as a Barbershop fragrance.

It smelled just like Rive Gauche though some Barbers used different fragrances, the vibe is the same.

I will quote Pollux (from another thread on Barbershop frags):

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    It is somehow complicated. If by "Barbershop" you mean aromatic fougeres, the list includes Canoe, Pinaud's Clubman, Avon's Wild Country and YSL's Rive Gauche. I would include Brut, but this one has mint in the top notes, so it is, somehow, a different kind of scent. Still, all these share the same structure, albeit their quality differs markedly (I enjoy all of them, though). Azzaro as well as Paco Rabanne are classified as aromatic fougeres, but they do not have anything to do with the ones mentioned.

If by the term you mean "talcum powder" notes, British Sterling, Royal Copenhagen, Fragonard's Zizanie and Guerlain's Habit Rouge have marked powdery notes. Again, quality differs: if you are an old-fashioned man disliking the idea of sillage and longevity, you will find British Sterling and Zizanie to your tastes, strong top notes morphing into discrete mid and base notes without longevity; if looking for complexity, don't think it twice, Habit Rouge is the one to choose. Others of the kind mentioned as powdery which I did not have the chance of trying are Casswell Massey's Jockey Club and Prada (look at Stew's suggestion). JPG's Le Male is classified as such, but IMHO, it is two strong to be classified as classy and refined.

Now, the term could be understood as manly / conservative scents. Those coming to mind are Pierre Cardin pour Homme and Guerlain's Heritage. As per reviews made by Base Noters, Creed's Bois du Portugal and De Nicolai's New York are described as somehow analogous to the ones I either own or tried. Of course, in terms of quality, Cardin's falls short compared to Heritage.

And, finally, if looking for flowery and powdery scents, The Baron and Caron's Le Troisiemme Homme are good examples of this approach. Caron's Pour Un Homme revolves around lavender, so it can be classified as classy too.

But which one would you choose if you had to pick one? What is the ultimate American style oldschool barbershop fragrance?

Rive Gauche - Tres Bien

Truefitt & Hill's Grafton

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Truefitt & Hill's Grafton
    Wore this for the first time today. I must say it is everything good that has been said about it.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Tom Ford Italian Cypress

The aftershave! of Paco Rabanne is for me even more barbershoppy than the edt. Love that fresh smell!
    Also I might add the Edc of Tabac Original!

My personal favorite:

Antico Caruso
    Eau de Parfum
    by Profumum

The Scoop
    Inspired by the scent and atmosphere of a classic, old fashioned barbershop: white tiled floors and leather chairs; rich, creamy soaps and brisk herbal tonics; the buzz of good-natured conversation. A vibrant citrus note mingles with the subtle sweetness of almond on a warm base of wood. The result is clean, but in a comforting and luxurious way— not at all astringent or antiseptic. Antico Caruso brings to mind the good manners and relaxed pace of an earlier time, but has an ease and minimalism that keeps it wearable and modern.

Antico Caruso Notes
    Citrus, almond, sandalwood

At this point of my experience, whatever has geranium, lavander and musk.

I but sampled Invasion Barbare and won't pretend to know its nuances but damn that was one clean smell. For me, its pricepoint would have me feeling a dirty guilt so I have to say Sonoma Scent Studio's Egyptian Musk oil. Think: those times when a white starchy crisp 100% broadcloth cotton shirt is in order.

Murray and Lanman's Florida Water

Pinaud's Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by vanvog View Post
    But which one would you choose if you had to pick one? What is the ultimate American style oldschool barbershop fragrance?
    American and old styled: from my experience, Canoe, and Pinaud's Clubman, with their flaws (quality. namely). From Base Noter's comments, for I have not tried it but have it in my whishlist, Casswell Masey's Jockey Club. Maybe others with more experience than me in niche scents can guide you in a better fashion, but I think these are staples...

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post

Murray and Lanman's Florida Water

This one is somthing I should be getting sooner or later... I wonder it is a Summer scent, am I right?

Re-read OP; perhaps Azzaro pH or Paco Rabanne pH are better choices. Clubman is good too and probably actually used in many barbershops... I remember seeing it in plenty of country club locker rooms. It and 4711.

Are there no old school barbers in our midst?

Pinaud's Clubman is actually used by barbers, so it is the quintessential "barbershop" scent. High-priced niche fragrances, with all due respect, have precious little to do with any barbershop I've patronized. Lavender, talcum powder and shaving cream: these are the scents of the American barber.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Pinaud's Clubman is actually used by barbers, so it is the quintessential "barbershop" scent. High-priced niche fragrances, with all due respect, have precious little to do with any barbershop I've patronized. Lavender, talcum powder and shaving cream: these are the scents of the American barber.
    Ditto. It's impossible to top Pinaud Clubman aftershave lotion when it comes to the quintessential "barbershop scent."

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Pinaud's Clubman is actually used by barbers, so it is the quintessential "barbershop" scent. High-priced niche fragrances, with all due respect, have precious little to do with any barbershop I've patronized...
    Exactly.

Booster's Polar Ice, Lustray Spice, and any handy cheap bay rum were also commonly used in years gone by.

Patou pour Homme Prive
    Last edited by pluran; 15th March 2012 at 09:48 PM.

LOL - My barber actually does use Pinaud Clubman talcum powder on your neck after. Very old-fashioned style.

I like Fred Hayman - Touch as an excellent example of of American-style barbershop cologne.

Regards,

...NDN-01!!!

This one is somthing I should be getting sooner or later... I wonder it is a Summer scent, am I right?
    Yeah, but you'd better like cloves - a LOT. Incredibly affordable, though.

I was excited like a little kid to come post "Rive Gauche!" ....

Too late !

Antico Caruso (Profumum)

I guess the place my Dad took me when I was a kid had something along these lines - takes me back to Wellington circa early 60s.

There's also something about 1725 (Histoires de Parfums) that does it for me - lavender, powder and some herbal information going on.

Sound Scents

Agree here. My barbers over the years also have always used Clubman.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

What about Penhaligon's, it's seems to be more British though?

Sartorial, English Fern or Blenheim Bouquet -which is the most barbershopery of these?

I actually got barbershop from liz claiborne's Mambo, but i agree with the pinaud clubman.

Brut for me. Though I am fairly confident my barber actually uses Brut, so, its really not a fair comparison.

What is difference between American and European style barbershop fragrances ?
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    What is difference between American and European style barbershop fragrances ?
    I'm no expert, but the North American barbers lean towards fougere type scents or lavender/vanilla. Nearly every North American man who has been to a traditional barber has experienced Pinaud Clubman. It's inexpensive and barbers may use the talc on your neck after a haircut.

European barbershop scents seem to lean more more almond, or chypre type scents like Domencio Caraceni.

Would love some Europeans to weigh in.

Yeah, it's definitely a summer scent, but, I dunno.......not sure you really want this!!! It can be had for like $5.00 and it's errrr, ummmmm, not the best smelling thing out there.

This is what seems to be accurate. I haven't been to a barber in years, but I am damn sure that they don't have a bottle of Penhaligon's Sartorial on hand when the haircut/shave only costs $3.99.

Shalimar EDP (current)

Rive Gauche

Penhaligon's English Fern screams barbershop to me - a sharp slap of green herbs and a drydown of luxurious shaving cream.

Rive Gauche for sure, awesome stuff

This is a good article and the site is just plain tongue-in-cheek:

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/10/13...-a-barbershop/
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This is a good article and the site is just plain tongue-in-cheek:

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/10/13...-a-barbershop/

This is an excellent article!

Basenotes Member

I don't know about it being the ultimate barbershop fragrance but do try Brooks Brothers 1818. It is excellent as an everyday barbershop fragrance. Spicy, with very good longevity.
    Cheers,

-Nick

mennen skin bracer

Thierry Mugler Cologne

One day a guy goes into the barbershop and gets a haircut
    only to find he'd forgotten his wallet, the barber being an easy going guy
    say's that he can just pay the next time he's in.

The next morning the barber steps in to the alcove to find a box of doughnuts
    and a letter with ten dollars in it from the baker who was in the day before.
    During the day another gentleman comes in gets a haircut and he's in the same
    predicament. The barber say's he can just pay the next time he's in also.

Following morning same thing the barber steps into the alcove to open shop
    and finds a box with a fancy white dress shirt and on top a letter with a
    crisp new ten dollar bill left by the tailor from yesterday.

During the third day a policeman steps in, gets a haircut and damned if
    he's come in without his wallet too. So the barber now knows one good turn
    deserves another tells the cop he can just pay the next time he's in.

On the forth day the barber turns the corner towards his shop to find a whole
    que of cops lined up from the front door to around the corner!!

Might be worth mentioning: Caron's Third Man - it's on the floral side, but has that very-old-fashioned barbershop vibe. Pleasantly inexpensive too!

Rive Gauche smells exactly like...Vergulde Hand(Dutch shaving soap)!

The Baron.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    The Baron.
    Le Baron is a very good floral for men and I can smell a barbershop in it.

I still vote for Sartorial.