Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Ultimate barbershop fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post

Are there no old school barbers in our midst?
    I've been a barber for a while now. Not necessarily "old-school", but I'm a 4th generation barber with 16 barbers in my family, so I've been around it my whole life. From my experience, Pinaud Clubman is the answer. Although, the shop has many smells depending on the clientele. A lot of older guys smell like Safari and younger ones tend to bathe in AdG still.

Why So Serious?

Caswell Massey Sandalwood
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Sur la Plage

D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Another for the excellent Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    +1 for this.

Rive Gauche for me, although I like Brut
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Blog Entries

Bois du Portugal by Creed, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arhlll View Post
    Bois du Portugal by Creed, for me.
    Need the name of that barbershop, please.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Xerjoff Dhofar. Better than Invasion Barbare and Bois du Portugal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    My personal favorite:

Antico Caruso
    Eau de Parfum
    by Profumum

Antico Caruso Notes
    Citrus, almond, sandalwood
    One of the top hungarian niche internet shops has begun carrying the line, and I've just ordered a sample of it, along with Arso and Thundra. Can't wait to try them According to the reviews here and at other places, I found these three to be the most interesting ones.

Rive Gauche pour Homme & Azzaro Pour Homme

Invasion Barbare

Paco Rabanne PH
    Azzaro PH
    Rive Gauche

just went into arabian oud on Oxford street and bought Arabian Prestige authentic, this is what i'd consider a fine barbershop aromatic fougere. Top notes are lime, mint the middle note is amber and the basenote is cedar wood. Very blokey, Very english barber shop It lasts forever! sillage is amazing. If you're a fan of rive gauche but would like something with more depth for the evening but still want to have the barbershop vibe of rive gauche then i'd recommend this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Pinaud's Clubman is actually used by barbers, so it is the quintessential "barbershop" scent. High-priced niche fragrances, with all due respect, have precious little to do with any barbershop I've patronized. Lavender, talcum powder and shaving cream: these are the scents of the American barber.
    You nailed it. I'm a barber and I couldn't agree more. Pinaud Clubman is the choice of most barbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Where are people getting Azzaro PH from when connecting smells to barbershops????? I'm a barber... I've been to a ton of barbershops and I have never smelled this disgusting fragrance at any of them.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I think there is a distinct difference between the american barbershop smell and the European barbershop smell. I'd divide it up into three actually:
    1. American: pinaud clubman: smells like barbershop talc.
    2. " Southern Continental": Azzaro, paco robanne: fresh soapy and has resemblances to eau de cologne.
    3. "British French": Rive Gauche: Smells like shaving foam.
    Personally, my dad never used aftershave, didn't like it, he used to use cheap shaving foam and yellow bics when i was a kid. He was a liverpudlian docker and between working and playing football he saw no point in petty preening. After his shave and with bits of tissue stuck to his face to stem an obviously bad shave, he still had the faint smell of shaving soap and it is this smell that rive gauche reminds me of. Rive Gauche is a fragrance for a mans man, if a mans man would wear fragrance.

- - - Updated - - -

i have Azzaro, paco robanne, rive gauche and pinaud and unlike my dad i use all 4 (not at the same) and i can shave properly too. I don't play football, he probably think's i'm a dandy and he's probably right.

- - - Updated - - -

one more thing! barbers don't actually use rive gauche in a barber shop, the whole point of the product is to capture the "essence of the left bank barbershops!" it wasn't made to be used in barbershops.
    I was a barber too.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    My personal favorite:

Antico Caruso
    Eau de Parfum
    by Profumum

The Scoop
    Inspired by the scent and atmosphere of a classic, old fashioned barbershop: white tiled floors and leather chairs; rich, creamy soaps and brisk herbal tonics; the buzz of good-natured conversation. A vibrant citrus note mingles with the subtle sweetness of almond on a warm base of wood. The result is clean, but in a comforting and luxurious way— not at all astringent or antiseptic. Antico Caruso brings to mind the good manners and relaxed pace of an earlier time, but has an ease and minimalism that keeps it wearable and modern.

Antico Caruso Notes
    Citrus, almond, sandalwood
    +1 - love this scent even though I am female !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by UKisGR8 View Post
    You nailed it. I'm a barber and I couldn't agree more. Pinaud Clubman is the choice of most barbers.

YUP. Clubman is the beginning and end of this conversation. My barber shaves the back of my neck with a straight razor and then puts on the old yellow Clubman. Love it. It is EXACTLY what I envision of barbershop scent.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

there is nothing outside your point of reference. There are barbershops outside of america you know and they have their own distinctive smells. Clubman is not the beginning and end of the conversation, it's merely an aspect of it.

- - - Updated - - -

that said, i do love pinaud

Pinaud

pashana original cologne is a very British barber shop fragrance after it settles. smells like solvent straight out the bottle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy2012 View Post
    there is nothing outside your point of reference. There are barbershops outside of america you know and they have their own distinctive smells. Clubman is not the beginning and end of the conversation, it's merely an aspect of it.

- - - Updated - - -

that said, i do love pinaud
    No offense. It's called "my opinion." Nothing more, nothing less. I like a lot of stuff that people hate here and I don't get defensive. I find Clubman quintessential barbershop vs Rive Gauche and others. Plain and simple. You are right, outside of here I don't know international barbershop though. So sorry for sounding too definitive.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

sorry for coming off as defensive. I had no intention of being "snippy" no pun intended.

The most beautiful of the genre is without a doubt

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    I actually love the clove in this one as I do not in most fragrances.

The Fearsome Trio

+

+

American Barbershop: Pinaud Clubman

British Barbershop: Pashana

I don't quite get the whole barbershop thing, to be honest. I can understand that Rive Gauche smells like shaving foam but I don't really remember a hairdresser putting any fragrance on me. Might have to ask someone to bring me an almost 2 litre bottle of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I don't quite get the whole barbershop thing, to be honest. I can understand that Rive Gauche smells like shaving foam but I don't really remember a hairdresser putting any fragrance on me. Might have to ask someone to bring me an almost 2 litre bottle of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve lol.
    Since the traditional barbershop is a thing of the past most of those born after the early 1970's won't understand the concept, guess you had to be there...

We've had this question a million times before and the answer is always the same: Tabac EDC