Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe

Default L'Heure Bleue makes it all right

L'Heure Bleue is, for me, a uniquely restoring fragrance. I almost used the word "therapeutic" but that is really too clinical. LHB restores me the way music restores me, or a walk in the woods. It is quiet and meditative. It has a violet quality that is effaced and subtle. Of all the fragrances I have - spraying it on the mink I inherited from Mom notwithstanding - really this is one I wear for myself alone, almost never to a social occasion. It has timeless qualities, being both old and ageless, and being able to make time stand still. I had a rough week, and LHB, with a good white wine and some Brahms all made it all better.

Now, what to wear tomorrow as I face a rather wild class of fourth graders (I substitute teach). . . Green? Cheery? I'm picking from among these:
    •Ralph Hot - spicy, fun, extroverted, young
    •Weil de Weil - green and bracing
    •Rive Gauche - nothing else need be said
    •Carlos Santana - spicy yet crisp
    •Guerlain Champs Elysées - never mind Luca Turin - it's lovely in springtime!
    •Coach Legacy - melony, going to floral, ends better than it starts

I was going to mention Après L'Ondée, but it, like LHB is a private experience.

I'm in Cleveland, and it's rained more days than not lately.

Wish me luck.

Default Re: L'Heure Bleue makes it all right

I think I'd go with Weil de Weil.... it's so lovely, and you will most definitely need 'bracing'! Good luck tomorrow!

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    I think I'd go with Weil de Weil.... it's so lovely, and you will most definitely need 'bracing'! Good luck tomorrow!
    Righto! In fact I'm about to go to bed and will put on a little now, a little more in the morning.

Hmmm, I am getting to the classroom early to put a pencil and paper at each desk - this to eliminate some of the time lost to students coming in unprepared. Maybe I should spray their paper with LHB! Imagine that!

queen of the universe

ps - Weil is such an underappreciated house. They produced my all-time fave, Mollie Parnis.

I can not suggest what fragrance to wear, but simply wanted to say what a lovely atmospheric picture you are creating when wearing LHB all for yourself! I can even smell the LHB...

Blog Entries

l wholeheartedly agree with you about L'Heure Bleue being a beautifully quiet & meditative experience. lt's on my wishlist for being exactly that.
    l am not familiar with the others you listed, but go with whatever makes you feel calm & in control. l wish you luck, do report back!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

queen of the universe

Weil de Weil - breakfast of champions, and , yes I just sprayed a sheaf of notebook paper with LHB - that and Mozart should calm the beasties - ahem, students - down.

Will report back

Your experience with LHB seems to parallel that of my mother.

I purchased the EdP version for her as a wedding anniversary present last summer, in the hope that she might spray without the inclination to jealously guard every last drop, as I know she would with the parfum.

Over Easter, I saw her bottle was nearly 3/4 finished, yet I cannot recall even once having perceived this on her since I gave it to her. I am reluctant to press her on this, as I, too, suspect this falls into the category of what one might call "private pleasures". I agree that Apres l'Ondee is another one in that vein.

May you survive the gauntlet no worse for the wear.

queen of the universe

They pwned me. But I smelled good.

Blog Entries

This is such a sweet thread! There is something very private and protective about l'heure bleue...maybe there's a bit of fairy dust in there.

Blog Entries

L'Heure Bleue is a uniquely beautiful fragrance without doubt.

Basenotes Institution

Lovely thread. I could talk about this scent all day. Yet, the devil is in the details with this one. It really cannot be described in words, this scent has to be felt.

I miss my vintage EDC, which I wore more than the vintage PdT I own - I do not wear it much in the hot weather here. One of these days I hope to have the EdC back in my wardrobe so I can wear it more.

It, like many classic Guerlains, make me very satisfied and comfortable.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

queen of the universe

Interesting how LHB appears to be de facto unisex, as do other Guerlains. I think that it's because of its "private" aspect that it belongs to whoever wears it, man or woman. It is solace and solitude. Thanks to all who shared their "scentiments." My training is in music and I find fragrance as absorbing as music in its invitation to explore and understand a s well as the ineffable abstraction of experience - one into sound, the other into smell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    This is such a sweet thread! There is something very private and protective about l'heure bleue...maybe there's a bit of fairy dust in there.
    Yes!! l'd like to think so too
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Bump.

Just thought I'd bring the recent 'Perfume Pen Pals' column from Katie P to your attention:

http://www.katiepuckriksmells.com/20...ure-bleue.html
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 26th July 2011 at 09:25 AM.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Bump.

Just thought I'd bring the recent 'Perfume Pen Pals' column from Katie P to your attention:

http://www.katiepuckriksmells.com/20...ure-bleue.html
    I get such a kick out of KP. Have to love anyone who can descrube Kouros thusly:
    "With Kouros, perfumer Pierre Bourdon created a remarkable tug of war between good hygiene and bad behavior. "
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Just discovering this thread thanks to Dr Rudi's bump. Taking this opportunity to speak a belated, "Welcome, jujy54!"
    Regarding L'Heure Bleue -- it was only this summer that I finally "got it" -- that I finally not only felt the attraction but also sensed the private nature as you so well describe. While the hour of the day may be "blue," the mood certainly isn't, it's spiritually comforting.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.