Code of Conduct

Default Weird, funny or just plain rude? An Armani Code Sport sample story...

So, the following little narrative will probably be quite pointless and more than a little boring but I thought some of you guys/girls might find it funny (being that no-one I actually know in real life would give a toss!)

I was paying bills this afternoon when I happened to walk past a chemist (drugstore) that had a blackboard out front proclaiming that they had the new Armani Code Sport and to come in and try.

Not that I'm a huge fan of Code or anything but being curious to try I hotfooted it inside while noticing the window display featured Sport bottles, some advertising boards and 10 - 12 carded samples artfully arranged.

I was approached by a young sales bird:

Me: "Hi, I was wondering if I could try the Armani Code Sport please? Or even better, would you happen to have a sample I could take to try, I noticed a few in your window?"
    Sales Bird: "Um...I'll have to check...I won't be a moment."

She returns after a short while.

Sales Bird: "Actually we don't have any at the moment."
    Me: "Oh, what about the ones in the window...?
    Sales Bird: "Um...sorry they're actually part of the window display..."
    Me: "Oh, ok, thanks anyway!"

So what do you guys think? Long, pointless story or just plain bad customer service?

Default Re: Weird, funny or just plain rude? An Armani Code Sport sample story...

The generic, and undoubtedly poor customer service that you come to expect from the mass market manufacturers.

It is the niche houses that offer better customer service, particularly regarding samples. You could argue that this is due to the fact that they earn far higher margins per unit of output, but they simply adhere to their clientele that are unquestionably more knowledgeable and selective when it comes to new product launches.

I'd guesstimate that a significant number of purchases of Diesel, Armani, Boss are blind buys by girlfriends / family / friends for birthdays and commercial occasions like fathers day.

The likes of Amouage, Creed, Guerlain deal with a different type of customer, that is often more knowledgeable than the sales assistants.

I'm a complete novice compared to the majority of members on this forum, but when I tried to speak to a sales assistant on Creed's batch numbers, neither he, or the departmental manager had the slightest idea what I was talking about.

Default Re: Weird, funny or just plain rude? An Armani Code Sport sample story...

Being in sales myself, I generally try to look at it from both view points. I get from the story that it was a low level employee who does not feel she has the authority to remove anything from the display and most likely genuinely did not have any more samples available. She probably wasn't able to, or had the foresight to, ask for a manager's approval to remove anything from the display. I would say in all it isn't great customer service, however, I would chalk it up to little sales experience more than anything else.

Basenotes Plus

OK, maybe they are out of samples. But surely a tester bottle is available?? How else would a prospective customer try the new fragrance?

Hi Tyler-durden, I'm hearing you on the customer service standards re. niche vs. mainstream when dealing direct, but at store level, well, here in Australia anyway the few niche stores we have are not much better!
    And I'm all for rewarding good customer service. For example, I emailed Divine to beg for a sample of L'Homme Sage which they happily sent me free of charge and liking the scent, I ended up buying three bottles from them (2 of them were L'Homme De Couer for some close relatives.)

In contrast, the niche stores here sell their products for more than double the price, don't have samples and you get the distinct feeling their catering to the sort of customer who is more interested in prestige than a genuine love of fragrance.

You'd think with more people going online to purchase these days, the stores would step up their customer service and try to be more competative price wise.

The funny thing is slvrbckgorilla, she actually did ask a manager/senior member! That's were she went when she "went to check." I left this out of my original post so as not to make it too long. Sorry for the incomplete story telling!

Hey Diamondflame, another thing I left out, when she returned to tell me there were no samples available, she handed me a scent card with the scent sprayed on it. I didn't even get to see the bottle! (I know, big loss).
    It was not as bad as I thought it might have been BTW. Wouldn't buy it but didn't think it was horrible either.

I'm reminded of a store counter I was once at where real testers were mixed with fatices. Cue comedy of me trying to lift up a bottle only to find it glued to the counter!

It was all very odd. The Chanel No. 5 EdP was real but the parfum and EdT were fakes!

Advertisement > good customer service....Advertisement > everything really.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
    The funny thing is slvrbckgorilla, she actually did ask a manager/senior member! That's were she went when she "went to check." I left this out of my original post so as not to make it too long. Sorry for the incomplete story telling!
    Then yes, it is poor customer service in my opinion, moreso on the part of the manager. I mean the salesperson should've just done it, what harm could taking one free sample from a display cause? But, for a manager to be given the question and still say no? Poor form. Sounds like a case of the "not paid enough to care" syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    Then yes, it is poor customer service in my opinion, moreso on the part of the manager. I mean the salesperson should've just done it, what harm could taking one free sample from a display cause? But, for a manager to be given the question and still say no? Poor form. Sounds like a case of the "not paid enough to care" syndrome.
    From what I've seen it retail quite a bit - even if they were paid more, they still wouldn't care.
    That's like to cart pulling the horse.

TBH I would not bother to rush to smell this, I had and I did not like it one bit. horrid.

This is the problem you run into with brands like Armani, Gaultier, and other extremely popular mass market labels. They know that the vast majority of purchases come from the aforementioned girlfriend/friend/birthday gift category where sampling is not necessary to make the sale, so they don't put any form of priority on letting customers sample beyond a worthless sniff on a card. They know that most will just buy it because of the brand name, so when an actual fragrance enthusiast comes in to make a purchase, and knows buying off a card sniff is a stupid idea, they don't offer any service beyond that.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

It doesn't surprise me. I have seen this type of behavior a lot in retail establishments.

Basenotes Plus

Yup, some SAs are just killing time (& customers). I remember feeling particularly disgusted with one SA at a local discounter who refused to let me sample a Diorissimo. After some browbeating she reluctantly sprayed it on her finger tip & dabbed this finger on my arm! I was appalled to say the least & gave both her & her manager a piece of my mind. He could only look on helplessly. But I appreciated his position, cheap labor in the retail sector is pretty hard to come by. That was the first & the last time I went to that shop.

I dislike any company who won't make me a small sample decant to take home. I don't like Jo Malone counters for this reason. All they offer are sprays from bottles and on mouillettes.

I would say not having testers on hand is really poor business.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Lol Sugandaraja!

Yes, and it also sounds like a case of "too stingy with to care!"slvrbckgorilla.

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    They know that the vast majority of purchases come from the aforementioned girlfriend/friend/birthday gift category where sampling is not necessary to make the sale, so they don't put any form of priority on letting customers sample beyond a worthless sniff on a card. They know that most will just buy it because of the brand name, so when an actual fragrance enthusiast comes in to make a purchase, and knows buying off a card sniff is a stupid idea, they don't offer any service beyond that.
    I'm hearing ya on this!

Ok, Diamondflame, your story wins! That is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard an SA do.

I was once told by a sales rep that if I bought a bottle of the fragrance I would get a sample. Because the fragrance reps took all the sample to make these little bags that contained a bottle of the fragrance and a sample vile.

Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I dislike any company who won't make me a small sample decant to take home. I don't like Jo Malone counters for this reason. All they offer are sprays from bottles and on mouillettes.

I would say not having testers on hand is really poor business.
    Have you experienced this in multiple locations? I had great service from the Jo Malone counter located inside one of the department stores in the Vegas Fashion Show Mall (I believe it was Saks, but can't really recall.) Not only was the SA very knowledgeable and engaged, but he was more than willing to provide samples, even going so far as to fill small decants of scents they have didn't "factory made" vials of.
    Last edited by Tappio; 2nd August 2011 at 06:38 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think it was good customer service - she failed to let you test Armani Code Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I think it was good customer service - she failed to let you test Armani Code Sport.
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yup, some SAs are just killing time (& customers). I remember feeling particularly disgusted with one SA at a local discounter who refused to let me sample a Diorissimo. After some browbeating she reluctantly sprayed it on her finger tip & dabbed this finger on my arm! I was appalled to say the least & gave both her & her manager a piece of my mind. He could only look on helplessly. But I appreciated his position, cheap labor in the retail sector is pretty hard to come by. That was the first & the last time I went to that shop.
    What the...