Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HELP! i need to know this perfume

Please help. I have a photo of a bottle of perfume I simply have to know the name of. MY friend has this perfume but doesnt know where she got it. It is a beautiful smell with a coconut top note with hints of vanilla and lilac I think. We have taken bottle into shops and chemists to no avail. I have been on a mission buying some awful perfumes I wont name here in an attempt to mimic the scent but they are not a patch on this wonderful perfume, it lingers on your clothes and skin for ages also, I will not be content until I find this perfume, can any one help and how do I upload photo, the bottle is small and ovalish and there is a little fairy holding a wand on the font imprinted in the glass, it is a pale lilac colour.
    thanks
    sheila
    next day...uploaded photo, please see below...
    Last edited by she; 3rd August 2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added photo

Default Re: HELP! i need to know this perfume

Sheila - you really need to post a picture of the bottle.

In the meantime try this search function: http://www.fragrantica.com/colors/#FF33CC

If this is it, its paris hilton fairy dust.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, unfortunately this is not the perfume but am impressed how you tracked down another one with fairy and wand! I have tried inserting image from my documents but not sure how to, the link asks for a URL which I dont have, I can only upload from my documents.[IMG]http:///Users/mini/Desktop/]. I doubt this will work but please be patient until I find out how to do this, this perfume is so nice the world needs to know the name of it!! P.s any tips on how to upload image would be great.
    thankyou
    she....,.pps, have already tried the fragrantica colours website also
    Last edited by she; 3rd August 2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add a bit

@ Sheila,

Thankfully (for you) none of us can access your desktop.

You'll need to upload your picture to an image hosting site such as Photobucket: http://photobucket.com/ and then you can post the image here (via the link to Photobucket)

Is it fairytales by Lulu Guinness?

My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Secret Wish Magic Romance?

Sultane Fairy Rose?

Fairy Wish?
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 3rd August 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    @ Sheila,

Thankfully (for you) none of us can access your desktop.

You'll need to upload your picture to an image hosting site such as Photobucket: http://photobucket.com/ and then you can post the image here (via the link to Photobucket)
    Ok thanks for that, just a thought but could I upload from facebook or hotmail?? Oh and thank you very much for taking the time to find all these fairy related bottles of perfume which unfortunately do not fit the bill. I appreciate it. Will endeavour to upload photo now.
    she

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/shehug/
    ok above is what I have managed to get , is this right?
    thanks she

Quote Originally Posted by Un Belle Parfum View Post
    Is it fairytales by Lulu Guinness?

No it's not this but thank you so much.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Here's the picture She's been trying to post:

Hmmm. I've searched under fairy, Tinkerbelle, and pixie to little avail.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Has it any writing on the bottom of the bottle? Such as Made in
    DONNA

Oh great it worked! ehmm I am not sure about that but I will ask my friend in work tomorrow to take bottle in so we can read it again. Maybe somebody out there recognises it...time will tell...
    thanks so much
    she

Thank you for searching, can't believe photo came up, not a great photo at that. I guess the only way of finding out is if someone recognises it, but it is the most lush delicate coconutty fragrance that I have ever smelt. I will tell a few tales now, I went onto a perfume forum on coconut perfumes in order to find out some information and in my quest to replace this perfume I bought firstly noix de coco by yves rocher, this is coconutty allright but lasts for little to no time and you need loads of it, not a patch on this one, I then bought victoria's secret coconut passion as it was also recommended as lovely and cococnutty, again this was such a disappointment, it is sickly sweet and cheap smelling, and very vague, you have to squash you nose right into your wrist to smell it!! Both these perfumes were rated highly as best coconut perfumes on said forum. I am not wasting any more money but am going to try my best to find out about this one.
    ps sorry if my posts are all over the place but I'm new to this kind of forum thing.
    thanks
    she

Not an expert in fairies, but the bottle -- the sprayer mechanism in particular -- looks like it might be targeted at kids. Something by Air-Val, perhaps?

I agree: what does it say on the bottom?

I will upload photo of info on bottom as soon as I get my friend to bring bottle to work..again!...think she's getting fed up with me by now. I am very doubtful that this is a kids perfume as it is way too sophisticated and just too nice.
    thanks for your input
    she

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/shehug/
    Above is the link for further photo's of mysterious bottle of perfume. I sure hope someone somewhere recognises this.
    thanks
    she

Sorry but its really impossible to read the bottom from the photo

Can you write exactly what it says?
    DONNA

Hello everyone,

The perfume you are searching for is called Reverie,and it is from Gloria Vanderbilt.

Hope this helps

Full marks to Poppy Patchouly.

Thank you poppy patchouly and welcome to Basenotes. Please post often, we need knowledgeable and helpful people like you.

Basenotes Plus

terrific work poppy patchouli...a new member helping another new member is the spirit of Basenotes.

well now sheila has me all curious about this Vanderbilt scent so here's what I found. The scent, but no other info. is listed in BN database:

Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Reverie was launched in 1999. Reverie was created by Christine Nagel and Francis Kurkdjian. Top notes are bergamot, mandarin orange, peach and pineapple; middle notes are iris, jasmine, cinnamon and orchid; base notes are sandalwood, virginia cedar, tonka bean and vanille.

Nosed by Nagel and FK ??? sounds very charming
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Yah!!!!! Give that lady a prize!!!! I hope she comes back soon and reads the answer.
    DONNA

Hello everyone,

Thanks for a super-warm welcome,and I am glad I could help you with this one.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Wow -- here I assumed the scent was from some lesser-famed source(s) than Nagel and Kurkdjian! I'm staggered.

What a surprising thread. Heaps and tons of thanks to She and Poppy Patchouly!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

What a great thread! Nice ending lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Wow -- here I assumed the scent was from some lesser-famed source(s) than Nagel and Kurkdjian! I'm staggered.

+1!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Sheila- where are you???
    A Scent Rescuer

Wah! I wish I hadn't read this thread, because now I want a bottle! Reverie gets lots of good reviews on Fragrantica. Interesting that neither of the BN or Fragrantica note pyramids include coconut, tho.

I was so intrigued by the sound of this perfume (coconut!... although as msveronica9 says, coconut is not listed as one of its notes) that I decided to hunt it down. There was no sign of it in any of my usual online shops, so I had a look on Ebay and there was a bottle up for BIN. So I bought it. I'm really looking forward to receiving this one. I shall report back when it arrives.
    Swimming in scented seas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Sheila- where are you???
    Yes, we are all waiting for your reaction!

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
    I was so intrigued by the sound of this perfume (coconut!... although as msveronica9 says, coconut is not listed as one of its notes) that I decided to hunt it down. There was no sign of it in any of my usual online shops, so I had a look on Ebay and there was a bottle up for BIN. So I bought it. I'm really looking forward to receiving this one. I shall report back when it arrives.
    l look forward to hearing your impressions Jellyfish. l too am intrigued, being a coconut lover myself!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

+ another 1!
    Exciting thread!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Yes, we are all waiting for your reaction!
    Waiting ... waiting ...

Hi there

My Ebay Reverie arrived at my desk this morning, so of course I had to try it right away (sorry I had to scrub you off first, No. 23).

It's a creamy, creamy floral (iris, orchid and jasmine), very pretty, with a sandalwood, tonka bean and vanilla base. Fruit is there; although I don't get the pineapple listed. There's something velvety about it too... perhaps that's the peach? There's a hint of spices, although I wouldn't have identified the spice as cinnamon (but perhaps that's just my unrefined nose.) No coconut! On my skin it did not seem to project very far, however its staying power was great. I'd describe it as gently tenacious. I'm just going to reapply now before I leave the office although I don't really need to.

Thanks for bringing this perfume to our attention, Sheila.
    Swimming in scented seas

Thanks for the report. From your words, it sounds like Reverie might be close to Ellen Tracy (just Ellen Tracy, not Linda Allard edition) or Borghese Il Basio, depending on where the accents are. Have you tried these two?

In general, I think our people underestimate the alluring power of peach as a note, putting a big fat cross on peachy fragrances for being too fruity. Peach, however, is versatile, easily blends with many other notes and gives fragrances that sweet and luminous quality many great noses of the past knew about.
    Last edited by Twolf; 11th August 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the description, Jellyfish.

Peach smells good to me. Nukapai was working on a peach scent before she got pregnant. Hope she develops both of these projects successfully.

Q., climb out from under your rock, about time! N. did it last year and sent samples out to a few BNers last August (not me though). The fragrance has been completed and people mention it once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
    It's a creamy, creamy floral (iris, orchid and jasmine), very pretty, with a sandalwood, tonka bean and vanilla base. Fruit is there; although I don't get the pineapple listed. There's something velvety about it too... perhaps that's the peach? There's a hint of spices, although I wouldn't have identified the spice as cinnamon (but perhaps that's just my unrefined nose.) No coconut!
    What a puzzle! I noticed that there was a flanker called 'Reverie Pure' which came in an identical-looking bottle. While I couldn't find any information about notes for Reverie Pure, one of the Fragrantica reviewers compared it to another frag called B.U. Wild by Sarantis (again, no listed notes), of which another reviewer wrote: "I can smell coconut in this..."

Just a thought.

Oh well done Poppy , I am impressed .

Quote Originally Posted by poppy patchouly View Post
    Hello everyone,

The perfume you are searching for is called Reverie,and it is from Gloria Vanderbilt.

Hope this helps
    So sorry for not replying sooner I have been on holidays for a week
    poppy patchouli..i love you, I don't tell people that too often mind! being irish and all but I could kiss you. I am so over whelmed by all the interest this has evoked and really hope I turn some people on to this perfume, Isn't the internet fantastic! I hope I can find some one selling this perfume now, I will be sorted for life, you are all great helpful people and I am soooo grateful for all your help and input...yehaaa!...result!..I could almost cry..xxx

and no coconut anywhere...amazing!!

OMG! please don't let that have been the last one on the planet!

There is still some on ebay.
    I am so happy you found your long lost treasure!
    I have a similar longing, but unfortunately mine was apparently too obscure for anyone to know.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by she View Post
    OMG! please don't let that have been the last one on the planet!
    She's back!!!! Hooray I saw several listings in the $35 USD on e bay. You should be able to get it, no problem.
    A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by poppy patchouly View Post
    Hello everyone,

Hope this helps
    So sorry for not replying sooner I have been on holidays for a week
    poppy patchouli..i love you, I don't tell people that too often mind! being irish and all but I could kiss you. I am so over whelmed by all the interest this has evoked and really hope I turn some people on to this perfume, Isn't the internet fantastic! I hope I can find some one selling this perfume now, I will be sorted for life, you are all great helpful people and I am soooo grateful for all your help and input...yehaaa!...result!..I could almost cry..xxx

Blog Entries

At last!!! lt's wonderful to share your joy Sheila, l do hope the perfume gods smile on you & you find a bottle of this!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I have a similar longing, but unfortunately mine was apparently too obscure for anyone to know.
    Was poppy patchouli around at the time of your search???
    A Scent Rescuer

I am in total commiseration on that one, I am going straight onto ebay now to order. soo excited!!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post

Was poppy patchouli around at the time of your search???
    Probably not! But I actually know the name of my perfume and there is simply no trace of it anywhere. It was probably a local brand that went out of business quickly. It was called Harallan (or Haralan?) and it was made in UK, about 15 years ago. Hey, maybe she knows it?

Quote Originally Posted by she View Post
    I am in total commiseration on that one, I am going straight onto ebay now to order. soo excited!!
    When you get it, please let us know if it as good as you remember it.

SORTED!..just ordered a 15ml bottle on amazon for £7 incl popstage (£2), I am also watching 2 bottles on ebay stating around £5. Can't take any chances, got to stock up! My friend in work will be so amazed when I tell her I finally tracked it down, I have visions of me provocatively squirting my wrists and waving them around as if to say.."i have it too now" will give my daughter the other nasty ones I acquired in the process, although I can't really knock noix de coco (yves rocher) as it is just pure coconut and lovely for that reason but it just doesn't have the power to do anything other than sit there and smell of coconut, where as reverie takes your nose on a gorgeous tantalizing journey. If any one is familiar with the smell of gorse bushes when in bloom they will love this also although I know that not everyone can smell gorse whatever the elusive quality is but when you get it, it's amazing!....bye for now...

Basenotes Plus

BN gang, she is infectious with her enthusiasm, isn't she??? LOVE IT!!
    A Scent Rescuer

I will of course let you all know how this smells when i get it. waiting...waiting...

Blog Entries

BN gang, she is infectious with her enthusiasm, isn't she??? LOVE IT!!
    Yes indeed, a "gorgeous tantalizing journey" sounds perfect!

And the smell of gorse bushes is very evocative to me, having grown up in the New Forest, where it grows everywhere. Now l am even more intrigued by this perfume!

just received my little brown parcel off amazon. Eagerly opened the paper with glee as I pulled out a little bottle of gloria vanderbelt reverie...PURE!...not my thing atall, has none of the sweetness or coconut, very abrasive on the nose, like detergent!! In my enthusiasm to order it i didn't notice the word pure after reverie, so the wait goes on until the ebay auction ends in 5 days!!...just thought i'd share that.
    bye

Hallo She,
    are you in Europe ? if so I can send you my brand new bottlle 50 ml of Reverie.
    I was tempted when I saw it locally, after reading your search for it. It IS nice and warm, and I believe the blend of pineapple and vanilla /tonka gives the coconutty smell. It is a fruity floriental, the far drydown is a bit heavy for me. But mostly I have another scent a little similar (Olivier Strelli) so if it is too hard for you to get I dont mind sending it off. Just write me a PM if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Laureline View Post
    Hallo She,
    are you in Europe ? if so I can send you my brand new bottlle 50 ml of Reverie.
    I was tempted when I saw it locally, after reading your search for it. It IS nice and warm, and I believe the blend of pineapple and vanilla /tonka gives the coconutty smell. It is a fruity floriental, the far drydown is a bit heavy for me. But mostly I have another scent a little similar (Olivier Strelli) so if it is too hard for you to get I dont mind sending it off. Just write me a PM if you like.
    Hi laureline, that is so nice of you to offer, I may well have to take you up on that, depending on how my ebay bids go, how much do they cost in your town?, at the moment I am watching 2 bottles which may or may not go up quite high, I also have to try and get rid of the 'pure' version which I don't like atall My friend in work needs another bottle also anyway so if you let me know how much I can get back to you on that. Once again thanks for your kind offer oh and yes I am in europe, I,m in northern ireland.
    thanks
    sheila

Following your recommendation I too ordered a bottle of Reverie from e-bay.
    The package came very quickly, from Malta, and is indeed very nice and comfortable
    to wear. It starts off like pineapple custard and stays quite close to the skin.
    I personally prefer scents with a bit more personality, but it is inoffensive and
    a good one to wear at work near children.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Hi Sheila
    I bought the 50 ml for 10 euros. Then there would be the cost of sending +- 5 euros ?
    If needed I can go back to the shop and buy more, although I have no idea how many they have in stock.
    Last edited by Laureline; 19th August 2011 at 10:26 AM.

Oh that is brilliant. I will definately take one bottle off you and I will know in exactly 2 days and 23 hours if I need another one( ebay auction pending). As I am in northern ireland and we use sterling I have asked a colleague to take his euro cheque book to work so he can write me a cheque in euro. He will have it for me on monday.
    I can't thank you enough and am so glad you didn't like the reverie!..lol
    Will be in touch soon and many thanks again.
    sheila