Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan Parfumeur MON NUMERO Collection - Initial Impressions?

Greetings. I was just wondering if there were any initial impressions out there to be shared regarding these new releases from the nose of Bertrand Duchaufour.

If so, PLEASE POST! :-)

Generally having liked everything by Duchaufour for this house, I did a blind buy of two in the initial launch: Numbers 6 and 10, based entirely on initial reports of the notes that sounded intriguing. (I don't live anywhere near a boutique, and the full range will only be sold through the online boutique, so sampling wasn't going to happen.) Not sure if this was wise, and note that my initial impressions are highly... well... INITIAL.

I wanted to be blown away by what I imagined to be a "higher end / exclusive ingredients" line for the house, but so far, it's a LIKE - not LOVE - experience.

#10 is an easy-to-wear incense, though not as noteworthy in my opinion as some of his other work. The opening does not deliver the ooooohhhh ahhhhhhhh factor synonymous with Duchaufour. My first impression is soap - not perfumey scented soap... but raw soap itself. Waxy, so when the leather and spice hits I'm transported to a Yankee Candle store. Not a bad thing. I like fragrant shops. For those who like a smoother incense, it is certainly creamier (ala Vanille Absolument) and more leathery than other, more RAW approaches. #10 becomes a solid comfort scent with time, and I preferred the base to the opening. In typical L'Artisan dilution, it does not scream. Leans toward the masculine IMHO.

#6 sounded beautiful when someone described it as wet, green - rain forest. It is, indeed, wet and beautiful, but far more floral than I expected. Sweet... more white and yellow than green in my eyes... tuberose? Liquid-smooth and really summery on initial application, but with some spices emerging with time. I think I prefer this of the two, though it probably tilts more toward the feminine... at least in the top notes. EDIT: Longevity is great on #6. Twelve hours into the two sprays to the arm... and this one is still chugging (while the other arm, sprayed with #10 disappeared in half that time). In the drydown, #6 has surrendered its overtly floral character. Really liking this one now.

Have any others been tried? Or comments on the two above?
    Last edited by FumeHood; 3rd August 2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Default Re: L'Artisan Parfumeur MON NUMERO Collection - Initial Impressions?

Waiting with anticipation for this entire series to become available in my area. Thanks for sharing.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Came across these yesterday at L'Artisan's London shop.

No.10, an EDP smells like it will be a winner. It is an oriental leather with what i suspect is lots of labdanum in the ambery base. It has a slightly bitter feel that makes it lean to the masculine side of the unisex scale. I like this very much. Samples are available in the shop, but bottles yet to be stocked.

No. 9 is an EDC, and IMO will be well received by lovers of traditional cologne. It has a green yet lemony twist to it, then i found out shiso leaf is a main ingredient.

There's some info in L'Artisan's website.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

My impressions of Mon Numero 10: smells like Avignon got drunk and had a one night stand with Coca-cola. After a while Avignon slopes off quietly with a hangover leaving Coca-cola spreadeagled on the bed whiffing slightly of last nights ameretto shots. Quite enjoyable but don't love it.

Quote Originally Posted by verycharlie View Post
    My impressions of Mon Numero 10: smells like Avignon got drunk and had a one night stand with Coca-cola. After a while Avignon slopes off quietly with a hangover leaving Coca-cola spreadeagled on the bed whiffing slightly of last nights ameretto shots. Quite enjoyable but don't love it.
    Yes! The coca-cola, slightly carbonated, is a good description. I am totally feeling that accord.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

I just smelled #10 at Barney's Chicago, and agree with the reviews so far. My initial impression was a pale spicy, slightly sweet but dry masculine gourmand. With more attention, one gets a sort of light waxy and soapy incense (as others were saying), likely sustained with a number of woody ambers, in Duchafour's style. In fact, I get many similarities with his recent Sartorial. Relative to that, it's a more of a light, soapy oriental rather than a synthetic non-aromatic fougere.

Not screaming, but kind of uninspiring. It will likely appeal to those who tend to like sweet masculine gourmands or fresh woody ambers, but want something more elegant and quiet. And, as said, it will appeal to those who like Sartorial but want a little bit less of the chemical steamed-clothes note.

cacio

100% accurate description, verycharlie!

Quote Originally Posted by verycharlie View Post

100% accurate, verycharlie. If only Avignon hadn't gotten drunk and left so quickly.

Just sampled #6 and will report back soon...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have tried Mon Numero 8 a couple of times at Lane Crawford here (it's the 'Hong Kong Exclusive').

I can't make any really succinct comparisons as iris is not a note I know well, but it struck me as very elegant and dressed for an evening somewhere refined, but with a beautiful underlying warmth to it. It's approachable even while occupying a quite rarefied atmosphere.

Armani's La Femme Bleue, on the other hand, while not a million miles away from Mon Numero 8 in intent, is another matter altogether. If L'Artisan is a coolly glamorous 'okay, try me if you dare', then the Armani is positively 'don't even think about it' in it's serene untouchable beauty. Both evoke haute couture clad movie stars from another era - I'm speechless in front of these, really

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Just sampled #6 and will report back soon...

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I've smelled all of them and whilst pleasant, don't tempt me enough to buy.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I've sampled # 10 but haven't purchased it yet from Barneys. My initial impression was very good. I have already added #1, #6, #8, and #9 to my collection. Satisfied with all of them.

I sampled all of them when they were being sold for $10,000 2 or 3 years ago and found them overpriced and ludicrous. Fast forward to a public 2011 release, I smelt them again and found them quite nice and FB worthy LOOOL!

One is them really reminded me of Iris Pallida but creamier and softer; more floral than rooty iris. Sorta like Mythique but without the suede-ish note.
    Another one was an extremely dominant pear fragrance but soon dried down into a non-descript musky drydown.
    The 2 I really liked were number 10 (which reminded me of a cross between L'eau du Navigateur and Al Oudh) and another I believe number 6 (which was sort of like Fleur de Liane but with a fantastic pink-pepper opening and a more moist and disturbing).

The Dubai exclusive, number 8 I think, is a boring cologne. Sorry Hedonist :P

Alfarom - so what did you think of #6? Not spraying it much these days (as I´m currently in the middle of the severe cold spell making international news) But I look forward to returning to its green MOISTURE in the Spring.

Since the last post, I dove into Mon Numero #3 - An oddly CREAMY-citrus-vetiver. That description makes it sound bad. It´s not. Just confusing. Despite the ad-copy that makes it sound "light and energizing" like a gin cocktail - I find it instead to be lush, with something strangely milky and lotion-like about it. It gives the impression of having spread a high end body lotion over my arms. Having little experience with the IRIS note, I wonder if this is lending to the creaminess (making #3 the one that SENT above referenced as a softer and less rooty Iris Pallida)

Marketed as a man´s vetiver, it is certainly floral and creamy enough to be unisex. (And some may find its spirited cocktail-like opening quite feminine, thought once this wears off - the citrus and cream turn more tart and dry, in a good way.) This one, for me, smells nothing like Duchaufour in the opening, but then smells ALL Douchafor in the heart and base. I keep thinking that it is an odd combo of notes, but nevertheless feel like it is impeccably blended so the sum of the parts is beautiful and sophisticated, especially as it approaches the spicier, Dzongka-like dry base of dry woods (ceder?) and vetiver. I don´t get much Lavender, though listed as a primary note, unless Lavender can be creamy. It has nothing of the bracing barbershop notes in Lavender-bombs like Azzaro pour Homme or Gris Clair.

Need to wear it a few more times, and maybe in warmer climes... it´s too freaking cold outside for this to lift much off of the skin. Still... I am liking it.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 1st February 2012 at 05:45 AM.

The only one I'm still missing from the collection is # 7

Thoughts, hednic? Favorites? I feel like nobody is talking about these. (or perhaps nobody is buying them... and instead of the initial concept of bespoke single owners... we're now up to about 10-20 people per bottle? :-)

And as for number 7... it is still listed as coming in autumn... as in LAST AUTUMN. Not sure what happened with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    Alfarom - so what did you think of #6?
    I'm sorry but I've to say that it didn't really impress me. A green fruity-floral that's way too far from matching my teste I found it uninspired and kinda unnecessary...sorry.

I smelt No. 10 at Barneys one weekend and had to take it home. One of my favorites next to Tea for Two, or course.
    - Expect the unexpected

I found it uninspired and kinda unnecessary...sorry.
    No need to apologize; I didn't create the scent. LOL.

I suppose it could be deemed unnecessary, though it does fill a unique void in my collection. Green Floral, yes, though I don't get as much of the FRUITY vibe from the listed Lychee ( Fruity = Wet for me, as I sense little sweetness that is not either floral or leafy) A nice transition over time to something more spicy, and longevity that impresses for the L'Artisan line.

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    ...and longevity that impresses for the L'Artisan line.
    that's true!!!

HORRIBLE!!! Raid insect repelent, a chemical mess I wanted to rip off my skin. not good.