Code of Conduct

Default Hercule Poirot and Geo F Trumper

On a recent episode of Agatha Christie's Poirot, the great private detective Hercule Poirot visited the original Geo F Trumper store in London. After talking to my Trumper, Poirot purchased a large splash bottle of fragrance. I have no idea which fragrance he purchased. My guess is something like Little Grey Cells edc. For you Poirot fans out there, which Geo F Trumper fragrance do you think he wore? By the way, apparently Poirot didn't pay his bill as Mr. Trumper called Hastings to ask why Poirot was late with his payment.

Default Re: Hercule Poirot and Geo F Trumper

I believe the episode is called "How Does Your Garden Grow?" Although no particular fragrance is mentioned, Hastings and Japp mistake Poirot's scent for a woman's perfume so that steers us away from the stronger, typical masculine choices. We also must consider what was available at that time (1930s). Some quick research points towards two suspects: Eau de Quinine (described in reviews as floral, powdery and sweet) introduced in 1898, or Eau de Portugal (an orange blossom take-off on the classic eau de cologne), perhaps catching Poirot's eye upon its introduction in 1938. Of course, it may have been a now discontinued fragrance. But given these two, and knowing how much Poirot wanted to be seen as a proper Englishman, I would vote for Eau de Quinine.

In any case, I would encourage everyone to try the generous sampler pack Trumper sends out essentially for the price of postage. It includes 7 cologne samples, 6 shaving cream samples and 2 skin lotion samples. If you visit the website, scroll down under "Product Type" and click on "Brochure".

My bet goes on Eucris (1912) because it sounds very striking and spicy (notes include lily of the valley, jasmine, cumin, coriander...) and in the episode no one could fail to notice Poirot's cologne.

"An eau de toilette with panache, the striking fragrance of Eucris sweeps the gentleman into the realms of utter sophistication and pleasure. The warm, sensual beauty of sandalwood, musk and moss is enhanced by a heart of rich, honey-like jasmine and exquisite muguet. Rousing, peppery top notes of cumin and coriander radiate with the fullness of plump blackcurrants."
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Based on the color of the label and box, it is either Curzon or Wellington.

My guess would be Curzon also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Although Curzon is one of the least likely to be mistaken for a woman's perfume, IMO.

Good point--aggressively masculine it has more in common with Z-14 than with other British toiletries of its time. Curzon is my favorite from Trumpers, as it happens!