Code of Conduct

Default a "gothic" (and hopefully non-oud, non-incence, not too dear) rose?

Hey guys, was curious about if there were any scents taht fit the above description. Something with a prominent masculine rose that didn't rely on oud or incence and that comes off as dark and "gothic" (not in the modern mascara and pale skin goth, but in the gothic architecture sense)
    Hope that's not too confusing lol

Default Re: a "gothic" (and hopefully non-oud, non-incence, not too dear) rose?

Domenico Caraceni 1913

Rose 31

No.88 by Czeck & Speake - 50% rose - 30% geranium - 20% sandalwood.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

A.maze by People of the Labyrinths

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

'Baroque' styled rose?

Try Ungaro Diva.

Ungaro II - heavy on the rose notes, but nowhere near as heavy on the incense notes as Ungaro III

AromiErotici

Ungaro I.

No 88 is the one to try.
    L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses is another option.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I think L'Artisan Voleur de Roses is more gothic in the sense you state than No. 88, though both are fine rose scents.

No. 88 is soapy and quite fresh on me, while VdR reminds me of an unkempt rose garden behind an abandoned gothic chruch on a rainy, cool day.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

+1 for Voleur de Roses, it has a very sweet rose/plum and dark dirty patchouli. I haven't sampled 88 yet but its on the list...

Rosissimo by Parfums des Rosine

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Ungaro I.
    +1.

C&S No.88 is Goth with gym work-out abs.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Rose d'Homme by Rosine.

Another is Citizen Queen by Juliette Has A Gun: a rose leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'll second Van Cleef's and Arpels pour Homme. I mean, if that is not goth, really what is ? I think it was their intent as well. Check out the website. Over 30 years later they still hold this one in high regard.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Rose d'Homme by Rosine.

This .

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    No 88 is the one to try.
    L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses is another option.
    Absolutely. These were the two which immediately sprang to mind. I don't think Rose 31 is gothic, nor for that matter the Domenico Caracini.

I have all three of the Ungaros and of the three, III is the most gothic, but No.88 and Voleur de Roses would be more appropriate to the OP's question.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Midnight Poison

DC 1913 smells of fine fabric. ..

le labo - rose 31
    TDC - rose poivree
    TF - noir de noir

Rose de Nuit (Serge Lutens)

Iquitos
    Griff

Salvador Dali Pour Homme (the original) has geranium which smells a bit like rose. It's certainly dark and gothic. Or perhaps the grand daddy: Davidoff Zino.
    The Bark Bites Back.

No.88

As far as not too dear $$ and not gothic or incensed give a try to Fresh Cannabis Rose (Sephora or Fresh stores) or Diptyque L' Ombre Dans L' Eau (black currant leaves and bulgarian rose) - more green leaves than rose, but is rose enough for me.

Ungaro III

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Midnight Poison
    ^This and this:

Sur la Plage

L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Rossy De Palma but you'd have to ignore the feminine marketing (dark sensual fairytale type stuff about pagan protection) and maybe a touch of incense that might put you off. but the smell is nice and definitely identifiable as prominently rose

Ungaro I, II or III and V&A pour Homme
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 6th August 2011 at 03:07 AM.

Moods Uomo (by Krizia) is rose and patchouli dominant.

Portrait of a Lady by F. Malle
    Evenstar

No. 88 is probably the "one" for you.

Voleur de Roses and Caraceni 1913 also worth a sniff.

I love vc&a Pour Homme, but I don't get any rose out of it, and dont see it listed in the notes. Kind of gothic perhaps.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th August 2011 at 02:30 AM.

Only two come to mind as both ''smelling akin to gothic architecture'' and ''reasonable price":

L'Artisan - Voleur de Roses: damp, earthy patchouli rose.

Sonoma Scent Studio - Vintage Rose: green, woody, winey rose.

If one includes ''Victorian Gothic'' I'd add:

Czech & Speake - No. 88: sandalwoody, geranium, soapy-rose.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 6th August 2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Correcting a fragrance name.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I love vc&a Pour Homme, but I don't get any rose out of it, and dont see it listed in the notes. Kind of gothic perhaps.
    huh, I get a ton of rose out of VCA, and their website lists it as one of the main heart notes.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm not trying to make a "me too" comment, as I know the last poster disagreed with you as well.

Rose is definetly in Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme. Is it not in the pyramid on Basenotes ? Because it should be. I know it is listed on a couple of other sites, as well as the VC&A website ( which even has a cool picture of a rose on the page that promotes this fragrance). Rose is a big reason why I like this fragrance so much.

Also, Scentemental lists Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme as one of the better mens rose fragrances ( if not just one of the better mens fragrances overall).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    This one. I first thought it's just heavy, formal, luxurious mature stuff, suitable for ceremonies, and so on. But then I started to always wear it exactly when in melancholic mood. And, strange enough, it's not its huge complexity and darkness of notes that makes it gothic for me; it's the transparency of an old fine soap that lingers on its surface when the carnival of dark flowery, leathery players has already settled down.

Malle - Une Rose is (on me) a dark, strange rose. The "truffle" accord makes it slightly musty in a wonderful old book repository sort of way.
    Last edited by blueyezz; 6th August 2011 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    huh, I get a ton of rose out of VCA, and their website lists it as one of the main heart notes.
    Well, if there's rose in it, there's rose in it. The notes profile I saw didn't list it, and I don't sense it much. But it is dark and dramatic for sure. Wore it this week.