Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, August 6, 2011 *** FRESH

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011
    Green July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, August 6, 2011 *** FRESH

I always struggle with this one. But I'm game. I'll be there.

I'm playing too- probably with a seaside scent
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Basenotes Institution

Dewy violet leaf in La Perla Blue for me today -- as much as I have worn and shared this summer, I will have nothing left of 100 ml bottle by the end of August I am afraid -- once again: not an aquatic fragrance per se but with a green aquatic feel, long-lasting and very pleasant in the dryout without musk (thanks heavens!) and cedarwood and patchouli instead. Sweet and unisex, mossy and fresh, not very changing but versatile nontheless.

Planning to promote it from **** to ***** in My Wardrobe.

Basenotes Plus

I think I'm fudging it this month: my SOTD is Ted Lapidus Silk Way. While it's by no means a true fresh or aquatic scent (it's a floriental), it does have a fresh aspect from (not loud, not synthetic) fruity notes that last well into the drydown.

top notes: citruses, red peach, apple
    middle notes: ceylon cinnamon, atlas cedar, jasmine, peony
    base notes: amber, bourbon vanilla, incense, white musk

Available at several etailers for $25 or so. Smells a lot more costly than that, it's lovely and very well-made.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

l had a sample of the perfect fragrance for this month's Sniff 'n' Speak, which l posted about in the "Today l Sniffed" thread. Unfortunately l used it up a few days ago! But it's worth a mention here, as l think it's an unusual & very well done aquatic scent; Maui by MCMC Fragrances, obtained online from lndiescents.com.

l don't know how to insert quotes from other threads, so for those who didn't read it, the notes are "young ginger, star anise, frangipani, tuberose, green bamboo, salty essence". l described it as evoking drinking an ice-cold ouzo by the ocean, while a gentle breeze blows through the nearby greenery & flowers. The anise note is gorgeous & very refreshing, & when l tried it again on a hot afternoon some days later, the sillage was wonderful. l would seriously consider a full bottle of this, & recommend trying it if you're looking for a fresh & uplifting summer scent.

Then this morning l remembered l have a new sample of Tirrenico by Profumi del Forte, among a few others from this line that l haven't tried yet, from Luckyscent. l got excited about this line after reading some rave reviews in the men's forum. l didn't know which to try first,so this thread helped me make up my mind!

The notes are "marine accords, bitter Sicilian orange, bergamot, Egyptian jasmine, Philippine elemi oil, basil, oakmoss, sandalwood, white musk". The very positive reviews on Luckyscent's site compare this favourably with other aquatics such as Sel Marin, & describe it as being calone-free. l'm not overly familiar with aquatics as a genre, so can't comment on this myself.
    The opening is crisp, citrussy, sweet & yet salty, with a definite marine vibe & a hint of anise or fennel. My first reaction is "Wow, this is lovely, the sillage is just like a sea breeze!" A few minutes later, it conjures up an image of me rinsing the sea water out of my bikini in the hotel bathroom after a swim & a shower. l'm not sure how l feel about that, but this is certainly a refreshing summer scent. l'll let you all know if it changes in the drydown! Unfortunately, after a few very hot days, the temperature has cooled considerably here, so l may not be getting the best impression of this one...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Maui sounds nice, Teardrop.

I'm also wearing a beachy scent for SnS this morning...

It really does smell like a fresh, breezy, summer morning on the dunes. I lived near the beach for several years, and this is making me pine for those days. This is from a decant sent to me a long time ago by a Basenoter we don't see anymore, Taolady. Lady Tao, sending you my very best wishes and warm regards wherever you are! ♥

YSL M7 Fresh for me today. I've been missing regular M7 lately, but it's been way too hot and muggy to break it out. M7 Fresh is the best way to sneak in that great cherry cough syrup accord in summer weather. The fresh notes on top of it are of reasonably high quality, too. Not thin and shouty like so many other fresh scents. This one can be difficult to track down. Worth the effort if you love M7.

Hello everyone! I'm cross-posting - I just copied this from the sotd thread. I know you don't mind Q, but I always feel like I should explain the blatant autoplagiarism.

I'm in Dali's Laguna for S'n'S. I've yet to do a side-by-side comparison, but this has always reminded me of Dune, which explains my instant infatuation with it. To me, Laguna is a fresher, fruitier, sweeter, creamier, slightly more floral and much wetter Dune...lol! I realize that must seem like quite a stretch, but it's the fascinating truth. It's not nearly as flamboyant and fruity as the notes make it sound...it's rather calm and serene actually, and very beautiful - I just wish it lasted a bit longer.

Mark Buxton created Laguna in 1991.

Top - mandarin, grapefruit, lemon, coconut, plum, pineapple, peach, and apricot
    Middle - jasmine, rosewood, rose, galbanum, iris and lily of the valley
    Base - tonka, amber, sandalwood, cedar, vanilla, and patchouli

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I just don't have anything in my wardrobe that seems to fit the bill, so I went with AG Heure Exquise today.

back in bleu

It might be cheating a little, but I'm wearing Virgin Island Water today. The name alone makes it sound fresh and beachy and it lives up to it's name.

Top Notes: Bergamot, Lime, Mandarin, Coconut Toddy, Copra
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Hibiscus, Ylang-ylang, Ginger
    Base Notes: Tonkin Musk, White Rum, Sugar Cane

Basenotes Institution

Wearing Pleasures Bloom - fresh and ozonic 'Pleasures '
    with grapefruit hints. Clean and uplifting .
    Thanks for the suggestion Lilybelle.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Mims, I'll be sure to go sniff that one now that I recommended it, lol!! "Grapefruit", "clean" and "uplifting" all sound rather nice! It's funny, I used to hate the grapefruit note in fragrances, as it seemed to turn nasty on my skin, but now I love it. Hormones (I'm convinced)! I may even give Pamplelune another chance.

I'm continuing our aquatic theme this evening in a dab of Terra Nova's Rain fragrance oil. This is a green/floral/musk rain scent. It's not salty like my beachy scent from earlier today. UbuandIbeme sent me a little decant of it a long time ago. It is such a pleasant, clean fragrance this evening. I remember Love's Rain Scent from eons ago when I was a teen. I used to love that one. I had the sponge-tip glass tube of that fragrance. Anyone remember those?
    Last edited by lilybelle; 6th August 2011 at 11:42 PM.

I almost wore Laguna but I ended up spraying the terribly named Womanity- for the seaside-type scent. Released in 2010 and already available in discount stores, this was not a big commercial success, I'd bet- but it has a certain feel of "I'm on a boat eating figs, cheese, and caviar" that charms me.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Well, it's not aquatic but is fresh, refreshing - the Smell Bent Tokyo Mama Fizz. This smells pretty literally like lime soda, but isn't sticky. The fizz fizz is gone now and it's limey papery, sort of. It smells better than that sounds, it's nice.

I was away from the computer this weekend. Friday I wore Lolita Lempicka L Fluer de Corail, which claims to have driftwood. A light fresh scent to me with a gourmand lurking underneath. Saturday was Lilly Pulitzer Beachy, which is a salty amber on me.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everybody.

Especially after this very hot, muggy summer, a refreshing sent would be welcome. I resniffed all my samples, but did not find that longed-for arctic breeze.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.