Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comparing two fragrances for blind buy - Burberry London and Tommy Bahama

Hello all, been trolling the forum and site for quite a while now, and finally decided to register and post for once. So I was looking at reviews and notes in both Burberry London for men and the much less known Tommy Bahama for men. I often do blind buys because I've never really smelled a scent that I didn't like (is that a gift or a curse?). I was looking at both, and it seems like they both have similar notes like black pepper and tobacco, along with some wood. I know most people probably have not heard of, much less tried, the Tommy Bahama cologne, so this question might be a bit biased, but can someone tell me there opinion on one or the other?

Thanks

Default Re: Comparing two fragrances for blind buy - Burberry London and Tommy Bahama

Welcome. I would go with Burberry London. Much better IMO.

Basenotes Member Companion Cube's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Comparing two fragrances for blind buy - Burberry London and Tommy Bahama

Burberry LONDON great fragrance... go with that one
    Yes I'm 15, yes I'm Young, Yes i Got Money, and Yes I'm damn proud of it

Welcome to Basenotes

I like the scent of both.

I find London's projection & longevity average but Tommy Bahama below average in these terms but which is to be expected as it is cologne strength. Just something to consider.

Tommy Bahama hands down.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Burberry London by 31 lengths. (Similarly, Triple Crown Winner Secretariat aka Big Red smokes the field by 31 lenghts --1973 Belmont Stakes) Possibly the greatest horse racing victory of all time.

Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

London is MUCH better in my opinion, and I own both. I would probably place London in my top 10. Around the holidays it's perfect.

London is nice but frankly a bit dull. Tommy Bahama is lovely from start to finish.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about Tommy Bahamas but I was a little bit put off by the tree-smell of Burberry London when I first applied it.

Before trying, I thought it was fresh like tree kinda smell but it really does smell like a tree.

When it dies down, the drydown is very very good but not worth the tree smell that lingers for around 2-3 hours, imo

I'm glad I tested this before because I surely would have regretted it.

Post Thanks / Like

They're noting alike really. Burberry London is a more spicy wine type fragrance whereas TB is a slightly boozy wood fragrance. Out of the two I would buy Burberry London. If your thinking about buying TB get Rocky Mountain Wood instead. It's much better in every way especially the wood note.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes

I like the scent of both.

I find London's projection & longevity average but Tommy Bahama below average in these terms but which is to be expected as it is cologne strength. Just something to consider.
    A couple of reviews pointed out that it seemed more like an EDT, and that they used Eau de Cologne as a marketing gimmick since more people are familiar with cologne. Is the TB consistently weaker?

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    They're noting alike really. Burberry London is a more spicy wine type fragrance whereas TB is a slightly boozy wood fragrance. Out of the two I would buy Burberry London. If your thinking about buying TB get Rocky Mountain Wood instead. It's much better in every way especially the wood note.
    I have heard that London is fine for all ages. Is TB and Rocky Mountain Wood both good for 16 or 17?
    Last edited by alexjustdoit; 10th August 2011 at 03:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, I find TB's bottles to be weaker than edt's generally, though london's longevity is not good either. i was turned off by the salt and pepper vibe from TB, which is why i didn't buy it. but i do know many like it and find it to be a steal at the price. you can easily find a 100ml bottle for $20 at any TJ Maxx or Marshalls.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Post Thanks / Like

yeah thats what caught my eye at first. best price i could find was actually 100ml for $18. Then I did some research and it looked even more appealing!

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, I'm the same way you are. I don't love all colognes I smell, but I certainly can't think of any that I hate. Which is unlike ALL the guys on this site. But that is simply because we are novices. It's the same way with movie critics (which I also am), except I have seen thousands upon thousands of movies... I've only smelled maybe a hundred different colognes. Anyways, Burberry London is part of my collection, and Tommy Bahama is what my roomate wears. Both smell fairly good, but are for far different occasions. Tommy Bahama smells like dinner at an olive garden, followed by a nap. It's a fairly boring but nice scent. London is one of my all time favorite scents, but there is really only a few situations where it smells appropriate on the skin (Cold snowy day, Christmas Eve, Rainy chilly spring day, or a hayride in October). It smells like Cherries, Tobacco, Black Licorice, bourbon, pine trees, and the dry down is very calming. Anyways, hope this helps with your decision.

Not sure how to respond. If you like everything, grab 100 ml of Lomani for around $7, or just use dollar store frags (some are actually not bad), because then for me the issue would just be longevity and projection ("sillage"). I have owned both of these, but I don't feel that either is very good. Instead of London, I'd get Acteur (or Cuba Red, if you only wanted to spend a few dollars). And instead of TB, I'd go for Michael for Men by Kors (not that these are very similar, but just to give you an idea of ones I think are in the same ballpark but much better, and the prices are not that far off, unlike niche).

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London...

I own both and while I think London is better, Tommy Bahama is good two and dirt cheap so you'll really be fine with either.

Post Thanks / Like

London is very nice but best suited for the fall and winter

Post Thanks / Like

Bigsly, not everybody has smelled thousands of fragrances as I'm sure you have. To a noob, most fragrances smell at least "ok". There are plenty I wouldn't want on my skin, but I don't go "eww what the *&^ is that". I hope I never have to smell such fragrances. Dollar store colognes would be fine, if they lasted more than 45 seconds. Why is it that so many smell London, and think "mmmm", and you smell it and "don't like it". These answers, we shall never know.... I still say go with the London Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomader View Post
    Bigsly, not everybody has smelled thousands of fragrances as I'm sure you have. To a noob, most fragrances smell at least "ok". There are plenty I wouldn't want on my skin, but I don't go "eww what the *&^ is that". I hope I never have to smell such fragrances. Dollar store colognes would be fine, if they lasted more than 45 seconds. Why is it that so many smell London, and think "mmmm", and you smell it and "don't like it". These answers, we shall never know.... I still say go with the London Alex.
    Good question, even if not posed with that much diplomacy. LOL. The "problem" is that there are "stages" I've been through, and there is no way to know if the OP will buy a bottle of this or that, think it's great or terrible, and just wear what he gets as gifts from now on (or buy dollar store frags), or if he will become an aficionado. I can only speak from personal experience and what other BNers have said. One thing thing I can say for sure is that I wish I knew about frags like Acteur before I acquired frags like London. At first, however, I couldn't appreciate the difference, so I'm not sure what I would have done if I had an older brother, for example, who was an expert and could explain this to me and answer all my questions. Note that I rarely recommend a frag that is particularly expensive, unlike some other BNers.

As to London in particular, there is no doubt that several of the notes don't last long (the port wine one, for instance), even with my skin chemistry (which holds frags for a very long time). Once those notes, which aren't bad at all, are gone, it is very similar to Cuba Red. Hence, I do think I have an "objective" way of evaluating it, if I had the lab equipment to demonstrate this. Since CR is selling for around $4 per 1.17 ml. and the OP can likely sample London, he can decide for himself. My final thought here is: just provide your advice and don't worry so much about the advice others supply. Give the OP some credit that he is intelligent enough to look over the information that is available here on BN and elsewhere online, and then make a decision that works for him.

Post Thanks / Like

I likely wont be getting Michael for Men anytime soon, as I have a bottle of Dirty English that I found for very cheap on eBay that I quite like. I have heard that they are quite similar.

Nomader, your description of the TB is interesting. I certainly don't like boring scents. Except for CK Eternity. Its smells simple to me, but brings back memories. I wouldn't buy it full price though.

So after looking around some more, Rocky Mountain Wood sounds very interesting, too bad its not as incredibly cheap as TB. But further looking around at the various scents mentioned in this thread and the ones I inquired about, I felt a hint of a thought that they might be similar to fragrances I already own.

Post Thanks / Like

Bigsly, I wasn't trying to be diplomatic, but I also wasn't trying to be rude. I'm not here to make friends, simply give my opinion. I just happen to think that many BNers over analyze fragrances to an incredible degree. Most average cologne wearers would prefer simpler explanations for things. You say with certainty these things about London, but I can find many other well versed connoisseurs on the internet who say apposing things. So what makes your opinions more legitimate? I for one, like you, have skin that keeps scent for hours longer than most, and have had ZERO issues with longevity on any notes found in London. London can also be found online for $24.. which is rather quite cheap in comparison to most. No two people smell things the same, or have skin that works the same with any specific cologne. Much like fashion, and art, it's entirely subjective. Just because two colognes share similar notes, does not mean they smell at all alike. Maybe to you they do, but it has not been my experience. Again, not trying to be "non-diplomatic" (?) if that's a term. I admire your help, but you seemed to be-little him with your first post, and now that I see that wasn't your intention, I'll move on.

Okay, now I understand what you were getting at. Over the years, I've seen people come and go here. Some started out by doing a huge amount of sampling, but now they are gone, apparently! Others come and go without as much fanfare. Some just ask one question and that's it. It's very hard to tell what a "newbie" will be doing a week from now let alone a year. He may not be wearing frags at all by then. And that's why it's so difficult to give advice to such people (and I was one of them not long ago). Like I said, I wish I knew that Acteur was the frag to buy, instead of all the ones with strong wood notes that I currently dislike, but there's no way to know what anyone else will think about it, and so we can only offer advice and leave it there. Note that a week or so ago I saw a 100 ml bottle of Acteur for less than $30 total on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by alexjustdoit View Post
    I likely wont be getting Michael for Men anytime soon, as I have a bottle of Dirty English that I found for very cheap on eBay that I quite like. I have heard that they are quite similar.

Nomader, your description of the TB is interesting. I certainly don't like boring scents. Except for CK Eternity. Its smells simple to me, but brings back memories. I wouldn't buy it full price though.

So after looking around some more, Rocky Mountain Wood sounds very interesting, too bad its not as incredibly cheap as TB. But further looking around at the various scents mentioned in this thread and the ones I inquired about, I felt a hint of a thought that they might be similar to fragrances I already own.
    For me, TB and Dirty English were the ones that were similar, whereas MfM is in a league of it's own. I'm not thrilled with the ingredient quality in MfM (or either of the others, for that matter), but the drydown is blended well enough so that it's not an issue (it's only an issue for me with the top notes).

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... so now I really don't know what to get. Perhaps I'm worse off than when I started? Or perhaps it is the end of a very long day, approaching 1 am, and I'm tired.

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London by far

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered Burberry London. What pushed me over the edge? Someone listed a 50 ml on ebay for $20 total, brand new listing. Glad i saw it before someone else did. All the others I found were like 28 to 30.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes! Have both but truly enjoy London!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau