Code of Conduct

Default Newbie struggling to find something perfect!

Hi there!
    I've been ordering samples galore recently, trying to find something that will draw me in.
    I've found things I thought I'd love and have ended up hating.
    My wardrobe is hardly even begun yet so sorry you can't look there for reference.
    To give you an idea of my type, I've been wearing Vivienne Westwood Boudoir for a couple years now, whilst throwing in some warm comforting scents such as Kenzo Amour in between.
    I'm a sucker for violet and powder (Guerlain Insolence style) and recently got a sample of Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre D'orange which yes, I love! But it's nowhere near as animalic as I had hoped.
    I love the warm sweat scents such as McQueen's Kingdom. I feel like I've out worn my Boudoir, and having not much luck hunting for what would be the perfect fragrance for me, I've came to you guys for some inspiration.
    I'd love a warm, dirty musk/leather, heavy with a powdery comforting floral on top, if that happened to be a violet, that would be icing on the cake! Warm violet though I'm not sure exists in a non earthy way. As cliche as I'm sure it sounds, I've been eager to try Serge Luten's MKK, however, I'm worried I'll just be disappointed?
    Anyway! I'm extremely amateur in my descriptive vocabulary for fragrance so, anything recommended would be highly appreciated!
    Hope to speak to more of you soon.

Default Re: Newbie struggling to find something perfect!

Some of these are kind of hard to find, but I'm reading your post and Parfum d'Empires Cuir Ottoman keeps coming to mind, as well as Amouage Ubar with its heavy animal side. ( Actually I'm pretty sure what you want existed in the form of Ava Luxe Midnight Violet, but all I can say is that if you ever find it, get it, and I'll happily refund you if you don't like it. )

Other things worth checking out are the Amouage Golds ( not violety, but powdery-animalic as all get out, especially the women's ) and Jubilation 25 ( slightly violet-y, still pretty animalic ). Vintage discontinued fragrances like Lanvin's My Sin and Paco Rabanne's La Nuit ( not La Nuit L'Homme ) are powdery animalic monsters, fantastic, and bolder than just about anything outside of Amouage these days.

They all sound wonderful, I'll be sure to check them out. I haven't really looked into Amouage that heavily, I had heard lots about them being "incese-y" which I think put me off.
    To be honest, I used to think I loved incense fragrances and went in search of the perfect one. I tried CdG's Avignon and decided I hated it's harshness and how it never evolved with the skin it just sat on top of it, but recently sampled Etat Libre D'orange's Rien with a bit more luck, still not something I would buy a full bottle of but the animalic incense side I found interesting. I'll definietly have a look into everything you suggested now.
    Thank you!

Lancome Cuir is your ticket.

Oud Cuir D'Arabie

Thanks guys I'll be ordering some of these samples
    As for the Lancome Cuir - at just over 20£ a bottle might as well order a whole bottle! However, the citrus /beech tar aspect means I think I may need to test it before hand.
    As for the Montale, I had briefly looked into the range before so glad you've pointed out one in particular to sample. Don't read much about much florals on top of the dirty leather, but I'd love to try it just for that note and see what I think.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Try Montale's Musk to Musk. Warm floral & animalic musk. No leather though.

Or Dior Leather Oud. Dirty leather but no floral. LOL. Who says 'perfection' is easy to find?

You got some great suggestions here (I fully second Cuir Ottoman and Cuir De Lancome even if I don't get much "dirtyness" out of either) and I'll add...

Une Fleur De Cassie (a rich dirty floral composition with animalic undertones)
    Ungaro II (definitely dirty/animalic with a warm and embracing powdery drydown)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Welcome forfreddie! You had me at "i hate Avignon" LOL No offense to its fans, meant

I also think Cuir de Lancome is more smooth than dirty.

Sample Bandit too
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

maybe Habanita?