Code of Conduct

Default I heard 'real musk' is out of this world... Has anyone smelled it?

Hi All,

I've been fantasizing about real musk, many have said it is out of this world.

I've always been a fan of musk. I got a bottle of musk from Turkey 15 years (which I believe is synthetic) that got me hooked, and I still have it to this day.

I also got a bottle of Egyptian Musk by Sukran:
    http://www.aromaticattars.com/index....roducts_id=146
    And loved it. Always go back for more.

So, has anyone smelled the real thing? And, is there anything like it in the synthetics world? Or close to it? I'm so curious!

Best,
    Mohammad

Default Re: I heard 'real musk' is out of this world... Has anyone smelled it?

Many years ago I smelled antelope musk in Africa. It was an incredibly pungent smell

I have smelled musk from a musk pod and it is really pungent as Hednic says. I have also had this oil that had real musk and civet as well as other natural components and one little dab of it on your little finger was enough for you to stink to high heaven. Natural ingredients is not always better than synthetic for wearable fragrances.

I have one right now but its a small sample like 6 Ml so it is now lost somewhere in my house
    Ill search for it
    It smells good but not wearable in my opinion

I have smelled the real musc tonkin at the osmotheque(with the fur etc... in a jar) it's sexual but not as dirty as civet. I have also smelled real civet and it's horrific in comparison (strong smell of urine).
    The perfumeur told me it's still legal to use real musc tonkin in perfume today, it's just recommandations from the IFRA so everyone use synthetic thing because if never someone go in justice for a skin problem they will probably loose. Too bad because it's impossible to restitute the same feeling with synthetic. Even if you don't clearly smell the musc note it's the little detail who make the classic perfume "complete".

I do not know if I have tried real musk yet. Being from the middle east, I've been to countless perfumes stores who claim they sell real deer musk, ranging in prices from $10 to hundreds. However in general, they all had a sweet dirty smell, but nowhere as nasty as civet. The best one I have tried was by Ajmal, a limited edition exclusive to Paris Gallery in Dubai. It was incredible but I can not tell for sure if it's real or not...At over $500, if I remember correctly, I could not afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    I have smelled the real musc tonkin at the osmotheque(with the fur etc... in a jar) it's sexual but not as dirty as civet. I have also smelled real civet and it's horrific in comparison (strong smell of urine).
    The perfumeur told me it's still legal to use real musc tonkin in perfume today, it's just recommandations from the IFRA so everyone use synthetic thing because if never someone go in justice for a skin problem they will probably loose. Too bad because it's impossible to restitute the same feeling with synthetic. Even if you don't clearly smell the musc note it's the little detail who make the classic perfume "complete".
    There may be many good and not-so-good reasons for the fact that real musk is not used by most perfumers, but IFRA is not one of them. IFRA issue Standards which restrict or prohibit the use of materials based on evidence that they may cause skin sensitisation, irritation or other health issues. They make no comment on the use of natural or synthetic materials beyond that. There are no health concerns in respect of the major animal perfume ingredients nor with most of their synthetic substitutes. IFRA does not restrict or prohibit them.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 04:58 AM.

Its nothing like civet , It smells really better
    Civet smell makes me puke

There may be many good and not-so-good reasons for the fact that real musk is not used by most perfumers, but IFRA is not one of them. IFRA issue Standards which restrict or prohibit the use of materials based on evidence that they may cause skin sensitisation, irritation or other health issues. They make no comment on the use of natural or synthetic materials beyond that. There are no health concerns in respect of the major animal perfume ingredients nor with most of their synthetic substitutes. IFRA does not restrict or prohibit them.
    Maybe not IFRA but another organism (i don't know wich one the perfumer refered, whatever) which are making recommandations to not use natural material. If an holywood star has a red spot on the nose cased by an allergy after having vaporised a perfume, if the perfumeur didn't follow the recommandations he will be guilty. Btw it's just what this guy told me at the osmotheque : )

Quote Originally Posted by Asaskian View Post

Aromatic nitro musks (esp. Musk xylene) are dangerous i.e. carcinogenic and since 80s has been practically banned.
    That's correct: musk xylene is listed in line 72 of the Prohibitions Stds sheet of the spreadsheet file I linked to . . .
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Maybe not IFRA but another organism (i don't know wich one the perfumer refered, whatever) which are making recommandations to not use natural material. If an holywood star has a red spot on the nose cased by an allergy after having vaporised a perfume, if the perfumeur didn't follow the recommandations he will be guilty. Btw it's just what this guy told me at the osmotheque : )
    Perfumery is fortunate in having a voluntary regulation mechanism and one, international, body to coordinate it - IFRA - there are laws in individual countries which may be relevant, but there are no other international guidelines. 'this guy' was probably referring to the nitro-musks not the natural product. There are many other natural products that are restricted by IFRA, but natural musk deer extract is not one of them. Check the spreadsheet for yourself. . .
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

I didn't say it was restricted, that's exactly the inverse lol
    The guy told the same as you (and was a former perfumeur at Chanel and a professional in perfume industry, not a student lol) it's just recommandations (not obligations or restrictions).And we are talking about real musc tonkin and other animals materials...

I didn't say it was restricted, that's exactly the inverse lol
    The guy told the same as you (and was a former perfumeur at Chanel and a professional in perfume industry, not a student lol) it's just recommandations (not obligations or restrictions).And we are talking about real musc tonkin and other animals materials...
    It isn't restricted, prohibited nor are there any recommendations against its use produced by IFRA: look for yourself. There are good ethical arguments against it's use certainly, but don't blame IFRA or any other regulatory body for this - it simply isn't so.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

On the subject of civet;

It was of my understanding that civet (or civet analogues) included in fragrances are not for the actual purpose of having a distinguinshable civet note, just adding depth or separation to other notes, what with actual civet smelling awful and what not

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    There are good ethical arguments against it's use certainly, but don't blame IFRA or any other regulatory body for this - it simply isn't so.
    When talking about the trade in natural products, IFRA is not the only international regulatory body that applies.

Specifically, CITES lists all musk deer species in Appendix I and II of the convention, and in Resolution Conf. 11.7, urges all parties "working with musk consumers to develop alternatives for raw musk in order to reduce demand for natural musk, while encouraging the development of safe and effective techniques for collecting musk from live musk deer" (resolution). So far, only 175 individual countries are signatories to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, (chronologic list) but the remainder probably do not constitute much of a market for legitimate trade.

Wow, I'll be sure to wander around in the souks of Dubai looking for musk whenever I'm there. I generally love musk and musk smellig perfumes, which somewhat evolved into a fantasy of smelling the real thing...

I'm also keen on looking up that Special edition from Ajmal...

Thanks all.