Code of Conduct

Default I do not believe fragrance alone could attract a man or a woman.

I can't bear these ridiculous questions like what would make me sexy or what makes you want to rip a man's clothes off? Imagine Michael Gove starts wearing Une Rose , then Cameron decides Violette Precieuse is just so him . Ladies their clothes would stay firmly in place . As for the heaving , sweating type who only wants to know what would make me rip his clothes off I dare you to strut out because nothing , nothing would make me touch a hair on your head with such attitudes. I like the man first and then hope I like what he wears and I do but then I buy it for him .

AromiErotici

Default Re: I do not believe fragrance alone could attract a man or a woman.

It certainly helps smelling good, but I have yet to run across a scent that makes my libido go berserk.

Basenotes Institution

Definitely for me , the whole persona of a man I'm attracted to, will make me positively biased towards his scent choice .
    A lot of the men's fragrances I love have been associated with amazing men I knew/ know and wore those . Tommy , Drakkar Noir , Original Polo etc.
    So for me - it's 'man first , scent second . '
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I totally agree that the man makes the scent. I am more likely to notice a guy who wears fragrance in moderation than one who doesn't smell of anything and unfortunately you cannot help but to notice the ones who reek of body odor or too much fragrance.

I think if you are close enough to smell a guy's perfume, you already like him!

Really, I've posted this before, I am not sure how men relate to how women smell, generally, but on the other side, I really just think women want men not to stink. So smelling good removes a barrier, it sure does. But no, I'd certainly not be attracted to a guy simply because he smelled good even if he smelled the best of any guy I'd ever smelled. As part of a package, yes some credit goes to scent but most of that comes from "you don't stink".

Sadly this is a fantasy which has been sold over the years by marketing. I am actually surprised some people still believe it. Sort of like the perfume version of the Tooth Fairy coming for your old teeth.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Definitely for me , the whole persona of a man I'm attracted to, will make me positively biased towards his scent choice .
    A lot of the men's fragrances I love have been associated with amazing men I knew/ know
    Yes, me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    Not necessarily. Those of us who use public transport often have no choice!

I really just think women want men not to stink. So smelling good removes a barrier, it sure does. As part of a package, yes some credit goes to scent but most of that comes from "you don't stink".
    Absolutely!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

Really, I've posted this before, I am not sure how men relate to how women smell, generally, but on the other side, I really just think women want men not to stink. So smelling good removes a barrier, it sure does. But no, I'd certainly not be attracted to a guy simply because he smelled good even if he smelled the best of any guy I'd ever smelled. As part of a package, yes some credit goes to scent but most of that comes from "you don't stink".
    Oh yeah ! Agreed!
    Especially the "you don't stink" bit ...... the man 'in view' gets credit for that ! *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Some scents do turn my head and make me want to follow the person; however, he could look like Yogi Bear - it's just the scent that attracts (patchouli in particular does this to me, dunno why). Doesn't mean I want to "drop my panties" as certain members say. I thought it was a given, sheesh, the man first not the scent. I mean in a real situation, so much more is going on that is more important than a commercial fragrance. Usually. Some scents can bring up particular emotions from our unconscious. Hopefully, we're aware of that kind of thing when it's happening.

Oh yes no body odour please !!!

It is hard to believe Donna .

Fragrance is just a bonus, I've come across many great smelling guys who I wouldn't even consider dating. A lovely scent does not mask narrow minded thinking...

In fact my boy barely wears fragrance at all - he has a small collection which has been purchased entirely by me and my fragrance-loving parents and he only wears them when prompted. But his other priceless qualities more than make up for his disinterest in fragrance - means more cupboard space for me anyway
    Last edited by Un Belle Parfum; 12th August 2011 at 02:32 AM.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

The sexiest thing about a man, for me, is his brain and his sense of humour. No amount of the best, classiest, most sophisticated perfume could make up for a lack in those two areas.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Sort of like the perfume version of the Tooth Fairy coming for your old teeth.
    LOL !!! Thanks for a good morning laugh!

I like a man to smell clean first and foremost and any good scent is then a bonus!
    I still remember the body odour/Brut smell of those 70's discos mixed with too much
    Charlie and Anais Anias!!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Sorry to weigh in so late, but beginning with the title alone, this is one of the truly most witty, sensitive, common-sense threads ever

Quote Originally Posted by memories View Post
    I can't bear these ridiculous questions like what would make me sexy or what makes you want to rip a man's clothes off? Imagine Michael Gove starts wearing Une Rose , then Cameron decides Violette Precieuse is just so him . Ladies their clothes would stay firmly in place . As for the heaving , sweating type who only wants to know what would make me rip his clothes off I dare you to strut out because nothing , nothing would make me touch a hair on your head with such attitudes. I like the man first and then hope I like what he wears and I do but then I buy it for him .
    Sadly, far too many people here and in general, many of them members of Basenotes, are under the impression that fragrance is some sort of aphrodisiac love potion. There is no such thing. Fragrance is simply an accessory to good grooming, which in itself attractive. One bathes, dresses well, is well groomed, and wears attractive accessories. This makes one approachable.

A person with an unattractive personality wearing fragrance is still an unattractive person. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Sorry to weigh in so late, but beginning with the title alone, this is one of the truly most witty, sensitive, common-sense threads ever
    Here, here to this!
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th August 2011 at 09:55 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thankfully women don't ever stink so men don't have that hurdle to jump or avoid.

Wait. On second thought...
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Thank-you very much to those who answered and especially because so many understood exactly what I meant.

Basenotes Plus

This is a great thread memories- belated welcome to Basenotes!!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

@kbe
    LOL! Yes, of course we stink sometimes! We sweat and have normal body functions. I just mean I don't know how much men care...Anytime I am worried and think I smell, DH says he cannot smell anything. I don't let him get real close and sniffing at those times though - but he'd try, he really just doesn't seem to care. Where I am a little more squeamish about stinky body smells. I have always considered this a male/female split, though it may not be. I haven't taken a scientific poll or anything. My brothers also always seemed pretty unbothered by stink.

I'm so glad you've posted this! I've been fighting the urge to HULKSMASH every single time a guy posts one of those questions for a long time now. "Ladies, how do you like Kouros?" Well, I like it fine, but it's not a miracle in a bottle, it's not gonna make me just jump into bed with you or any other guy. I often feel like pointing out: PERFUMES ARE NOT MAGIC POTIONS, MEN. I'm not going to drop my panties because you walk up to me in a cloud of Musc Ravageur! Or Kouros! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PANTY-DROPPER!

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest. *deep breaths*

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    This is a great thread memories- belated welcome to Basenotes!!
    Thank-you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post
    I'm so glad you've posted this! I've been fighting the urge to HULKSMASH every single time a guy posts one of those questions for a long time now. "Ladies, how do you like Kouros?" Well, I like it fine, but it's not a miracle in a bottle, it's not gonna make me just jump into bed with you or any other guy. I often feel like pointing out: PERFUMES ARE NOT MAGIC POTIONS, MEN. I'm not going to drop my panties because you walk up to me in a cloud of Musc Ravageur! Or Kouros! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PANTY-DROPPER!

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest. *deep breaths*
    A great reply , thank-you.

Gawd, thank you. Every time I see a thread that references "pantydropping factor" (a phrase I *hate*) or whatever, my eye twitches and I have to use quite a bit of self control not to snark. Don't get me wrong- scent is a fairly important factor in attraction for me, at least, but it's not perfumes. It's a guy's natural scent. No, not B.O., but the sort of way his skin/hair would smell after a shower? I don't know if I'm making sense...But when I hear people asking "what is the pantydropping factor of perfume x?" or "how well do women like perfume y?" all I can imagine is some high school, early college-age guy bathing himself in Axe or Lynx or whatever he thinks will get the girls to ooh and aah over him. 'Cause more is better, right? In reality it just seems like immaturity and no self-confidence...Very unattractive.

Anyway, the objectification of whatever sex the "zomg, what scent will get me laid?" is aimed towards always strikes me as a bit unpleasant, as well.

No fragrance will buy you peer approval and a love life, but the fragrance industry seems to be the last to realize this.

That is why things like Axe body sprays are so hilarious: it claims it can make angels fall from Heaven and get women to come running.

The gullible will rush out and buy this in order to get the girls to come running. Come to think of it, what of that commercial? LOL!

"No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    No fragrance will buy you peer approval and a love life...

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast."--Alexander Pope

Oh, god, those Axe/Lynx adverts are so ridiculous and offensive. I have to counter with the Specsavers parody - which illustrates our point quite nicely, I think!

I am attracted to people who share my interest in perfume!!

For any topic or interest X that might attract younger guys, there will be a subset of younger guys on the X forum endlessly asking "which X will make women want me."

Test this theorem and tell me if I'm wrong.

ETA: OK an exception would be Linux forums. As awesome as Linux is, everyone knows it doesn't attract women. Still you will find many examples where my theorem works.

ETA2: not to be all heteronormative here, in fairness gay guys are probably just less confused on the topic.
    Last edited by HazelMae; 16th August 2011 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelMae View Post
    tell me if I'm wrong.
    Oh how I wish I could, but you speak truth.

Linux is great, though. I love a geeky guy!
    Last edited by Orobas; 16th August 2011 at 01:57 AM. Reason: clarification
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Anyway, the objectification of whatever sex the "zomg, what scent will get me laid?" is aimed towards always strikes me as a bit unpleasant, as well.
    Hear, hear. I recently stumbled upon a group of heterosexual male Youtube perfume enthusiasts, real "bros", who have quite a few videos dedicated to their "panty dropper scent lineups", and their Facebook group is about a hundred times worse (there are no end to the number of nouns they will use in place of "woman"). I get the sense that their express purpose of wearing scent is so they can get laid. I get really uncomfortable when I hear that sort of thing (not to mention the way they speak about women).

I'm so glad you've posted this! I've been fighting the urge to HULKSMASH every single time a guy posts one of those questions for a long time now. "Ladies, how do you like Kouros?" Well, I like it fine, but it's not a miracle in a bottle, it's not gonna make me just jump into bed with you or any other guy.
    Ladies ladies ladies, ya'll need to learn to have a little fun with this. You know what "trolling" is? Let these guys think that a little bottle of smell will make them irresistible. At worst you'll be creating a few bar/club/pub-air fresheners. At best you'll be repairing the economy through fragrance sales.

I often feel like pointing out: PERFUMES ARE NOT MAGIC POTIONS, MEN. I'm not going to drop my panties because you walk up to me in a cloud of Musc Ravageur! Or Kouros! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PANTY-DROPPER!
    Actually, there is one fragrance that is a panty-dropper, but you can't buy it; it's a part of you. Genetic body chemistry related to your immune system, combined with diet as certain foods make your sweat more edible by the bacteria on your skin, combined with pheromones create your unique odor, whether or not you, or anyone else, can consciously smell it.

Also, good news for everyone here. Years of field research has led me to conclude that any fragrance your wear, provided the smellee finds it pleasant, will not interfere with the effects of your natural smell.

Really, I've posted this before, I am not sure how men relate to how women smell, generally, but on the other side, I really just think women want men not to stink.
    Succinctly put. Post that in the men's stickied thread.

I just love how you all must laugh yourselves silly over all the "what scents do women dig" stuff. Everytime I come into the female section, I never see any "what scents do men dig?" threads. Hmmmmm....

Truth be told, men probably feel the same as you express Robin. Scent is like the icing on the cake if you're attracted to someone. it's nice, but it ain't the cake.

That said, Angel will stop me in my tracks. I guess I have a sweet tooth.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th August 2011 at 05:02 AM.

You know, I said exactly the same thing for years (that no man was going to be turned on just because of a fragrance I happened to be wearing.) Now I think it's a little bit overly cynical of people to say that. The other day I was in a department store and I happened to come across an open tester bottle of Coco by Chanel. (Eau de Parfum, I think.) I put a little bit of it on my inner arm. Later, when I was on the bus a very handsome older man who happened to be sitting across from me really literally [I]turned his head[I] and eyed me. Mind you, I was also wearing makeup and good colors that suit me a lot that day so it was probably a combined effect of everything, but still..it's not every day that a man turns his head and looks at me "like that." Also, I have walked by men wearing cologne before and have felt pretty turned on by the smell of them, I admit it. And..it's not very classy but I admit I also like the smell of a number of the Axe body sprays lol! So, I think there actually is something to the whole concept that fragrance can sexually attract (or even repel) people. Remember too though that fragrance is largely based on body chemistry, and that one perfume may smell fantastic on a certain person, but at the same time may not work as well on you. I don't mean any offense when I say that, but depending of the Ph balance of your skin different fragrances can come out smelling very, [I]very[I] different. Therefore, some people wear certain kinds of fragrances better than others. Plus, I think your signature fragrance should reflect some actual aspect of who you are as a person, otherwise it might jut come across as weird. There is a whole psychological aspect to perfumes, as well as a physical aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsetspawn View Post
    Ladies ladies ladies, ya'll need to learn to have a little fun with this. You know what "trolling" is? Let these guys think that a little bottle of smell will make them irresistible. At worst you'll be creating a few bar/club/pub-air fresheners. At best you'll be repairing the economy through fragrance sales.

Actually, there is one fragrance that is a panty-dropper, but you can't buy it; it's a part of you. Genetic body chemistry related to your immune system, combined with diet as certain foods make your sweat more edible by the bacteria on your skin, combined with pheromones create your unique odor, whether or not you, or anyone else, can consciously smell it.

Also, good news for everyone here. Years of field research has led me to conclude that any fragrance your wear, provided the smellee finds it pleasant, will not interfere with the effects of your natural smell.
    OK, let's have a little fun.

You can wear any kind of fragrance you want to attract a woman, from Clive Christian to Axe. However, you must be extremely rich, extremely handsome, drive a custom Ferrari (not a "belly button" model), and have an enormous bank account, not to mention the wherewithal of a mule.

(Of course, I am joking. Women take extreme offence to the notion of "panty-dropping." Please don't use that term as it is offensive to many--both men and women.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsetspawn View Post
    Ladies ladies ladies, ya'll need to learn to have a little fun with this.
    Really?It wouldn't grow tiring and annoying for you if it were your gender whose intelligence was constantly being insulted?I'm with Mel_lou-HULKSMASH!I just don't waste time replying to those in need of a "panty-dropper";there are plenty of intelligent and interesting folks around BN to talk with.And no,I absolutely don't believe a scent can make any of us irresistible.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Really?It wouldn't grow tiring and annoying for you if it were your gender whose intelligence was constantly being insulted?I'm with Mel_lou-HULKSMASH!I just don't waste time replying to those in need of a "panty-dropper";there are plenty of intelligent and interesting folks around BN to talk with.And no,I absolutely don't believe a scent can make any of us irresistible.
    Absolutely! And those threads are tiring and annoying; this forum is for "the discussion of women's fragrances, and fragrances worn by women" - how do the threads we're talking about even fit into that statement of purpose? And why do these guys expect other women to facilitate their "panty-dropper" fantasies? And why do some of us indulge them? It's not cute, it's not funny - it's demeaning and offensive. It is, in fact, deeply misogynist, a word I hesitate to throw around on the internet because it invites confrontation, but if the disregard and disrespect for women shown by male heterosexual proponents of the "panty-dropper" theory isn't misogynist I don't know what is.

LadyDragonFire, I think what you're saying here is that a perfume may be a head-turner, and I take your point. I too have turned my head in response to a scent. But there's a difference between the idea that a perfume may turn heads - of course it can - and the idea that a perfume can make a woman jump into bed with a man (or woman). I may have my head turned by a man or a woman's fragrance; I may engage them in conversation as a result; I may even go for dinner with them. If, over the course of that dinner, I discover the man or woman in question isn't somebody I like, well, frankly a good perfume isn't going to cut it. Not even if it's Kouros.

Absolutely! And those threads are tiring and annoying; this forum is for "the discussion of women's fragrances, and fragrances worn by women" - how do the threads we're talking about even fit into that statement of purpose? And why do these guys expect other women to facilitate their "panty-dropper" fantasies? And why do some of us indulge them? It's not cute, it's not funny - it's demeaning and offensive. It is, in fact, deeply misogynist, a word I hesitate to throw around on the internet because it invites confrontation, but if the disregard and disrespect for women shown by male heterosexual proponents of the "panty-dropper" theory isn't misogynist I don't know what is.

LadyDragonFire, I think what you're saying here is that a perfume may be a head-turner, and I take your point. I too have turned my head in response to a scent. But there's a difference between the idea that a perfume may turn heads - of course it can - and the idea that a perfume can make a woman jump into bed with a man (or woman). I may have my head turned by a man or a woman's fragrance; I may engage them in conversation as a result; I may even go for dinner with them. If, over the course of that dinner, I discover the man or woman in question isn't somebody I like, well, frankly a good perfume isn't going to cut it. Not even if it's Kouros.
    Well said! A fine fragrance is like good grooming and dressing well. Even the best Kiton suit on a man will not allow a man to bed a woman if he is a total jerk, yet then again, she may only be after his money.

Blog Entries

Yes!!! l agree with every single word of this, well said!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

LadyDragonFire, I think what you're saying here is that a perfume may be a head-turner, and I take your point. I too have turned my head in response to a scent. But there's a difference between the idea that a perfume may turn heads - of course it can - and the idea that a perfume can make a woman jump into bed with a man (or woman). I may have my head turned by a man or a woman's fragrance; I may engage them in conversation as a result; I may even go for dinner with them. If, over the course of that dinner, I discover the man or woman in question isn't somebody I like, well, frankly a good perfume isn't going to cut it. Not even if it's Kouros.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying, and of course you're right. If a guy walks by me and he's wearing a fragrance that I find sexy I will turn my head and take notice, but I've never dropped my panties just because of a fragrance. And yes, that concept is kind of insulting an demeaning toward women.

I may have my head turned by a man or a woman's fragrance; I may engage them in conversation as a result; I may even go for dinner with them. If, over the course of that dinner, I discover the man or woman in question isn't somebody I like, well, frankly a good perfume isn't going to cut it. Not even if it's Kouros.
    I think here in lies what most of the guys are going for though. The fragrance itself can be an active initiator.

I believe that potentially one of the main problems for guys in this arena is the signature mistake that most men make when believing that women will respond to something the exact same way a man would. I can't speak for all men, and even for men on this board, but I can say for myself, that in the past fragrance has drastically helped shape my initial opinion of many girls and women. There have been many times when people who are completely unattractive in general will show themselves in an entirely different light to me, SOLELY based on the fact that they smell nice.

Just a few months back I remember being out to eat, and during the course of the meal, one of the girls from behind the counter walked past me and I caught a quick blast of her perfume's sillage, and then once again when she walked back. When I took a good look at her I started wondering how I had missed seeing such an attractive girl in such a small restaurant, until it dawned on me that I hadn't. She had been standing directly in front of me my entire time there. I had seen her since the moment I had come in. She had been standing within eyesight since I sat down. I just hadn't cared. Not that she was unattractive. But initially there was nothing about her appearance that was attention grabbing, UNTIL I smelled her as she walked by.

Then everything changed.

This has happened so many times to me personally, I can't even keep count. Now, mind you I still of course use discernment and realize that if I can separate the two in my mind, and that I'm only attracted to the girls because of the way they smell. But the fact remains that I still find them attractive, even if I won't act out on my feelings because I know it's the most shallow of attractions. BUT the attraction is there. I think that's what most guys think will happen.

Now like I said, this could be more of a guy thing, as even some of the other guy posts allude more to effects of what a good woman's fragrance will do to them. As StylinLA said, "Angel will stop me in my tracks". I know and sympathize with this feeling 100%. It's possible that it's maybe a guy thing, and since we know it, we project it onto women and think that they must react the same way. I really don't know. But as mel_lou initially said, she just might have her head turned by a fragrance, which by her own conclusion could lead to a dinner date, and DEPENDING on what the person is like could go beyond that. So I don't think it's 100% fair to say, "It doesn't effect our attraction in the slightest."

Heavenly scents might not overrule good judgement, (i.e. they're still uninteresting, no sense of humor, out of shape, unappealing to the eye, etc. etc.) but from my own experience I can't say that they have ZERO effect on my perception of a person. Many times they've forced an attraction that would have not existed otherwise. And like I said, it doesn't go beyond that for me if they're unattractive without smelling the way they do, but if the person also has other qualities that are attractive to me, smelling nice is more than just icing on the cake.

Now this is all just purely opinion. Maybe only guys think this way. Maybe only I think this way. But even reading though the posts, I would have a slight inkling that I'm not the only one. I'm always ready to be 100% wrong however.
    Last edited by Partario; 17th August 2011 at 06:44 AM.

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:04 AM.

No fragrance will buy you peer approval and a love life, but the fragrance industry seems to be the last to realize this.
    Ditto

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Now like I said, this could be more of a guy thing, as even some of the other guy posts allude more to effects of what a good woman's fragrance will do to them. As StylinLA said, "Angel will stop me in my tracks".

I seriously wish you'd said a different fragrance. Thierry Mugler's Angel makes me feel nauseous. I don't understand why it's one of the most popular fragrances ever made. (Maybe because it stops people dead in their tracks? LOL) Sorry, I don't mean any offense to anyone who really likes that fragrance, it's just that I can't wear it. Oh well, I can wear Coco by Chanel apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    Now like I said, this could be more of a guy thing, as even some of the other guy posts allude more to effects of what a good woman's fragrance will do to them. As StylinLA said, "Angel will stop me in my tracks".

I seriously wish you'd said a different fragrance. Thierry Mugler's Angel makes me feel nauseous. I don't understand why it's one of the most popular fragrances ever made. (Maybe because it stops people dead in their tracks? LOL) Sorry, I don't mean any offense to anyone who really likes that fragrance, it's just that I can't wear it. Oh well, I can wear Coco by Chanel apparently.
    ahhh, yeah...I debated posting that. Worried about lowering opinions of me. I suppose it's kind of the " AdG" for some women. While many women like it, I can see that it probably annoys a lot women too (just like guys with A*Men). But in keeping with tone of this thread, please be clear, the scent gets my attention, but it doesn't attract me to anyone I'm not attracted too with or without Angel. But I enjoy the cotton candy vibe, and will always find the source when I detect it. Sort of freaks me out.Like I said, I have a sweet tooth.

Frankly, I enjoy women who get the balance right, whatever the scent. Meaning you wear a scent well suited to you at jusssssst the right dose to reach out a teeny bit and then recede and then come back again. The woman who drove me craziest in this way wore Passion, which I don't think is a highly regarded scent here. (sorry, I'm kind of new dabbling in this section of the forum, and other than Shalimar, L'huere Bleu, Mitsouko and of course, Angel, don't know many women's scents). Passion worked on her and was always coming and going and coming and going. I recognize Angel and I like it, but many scents catch my attention. I just don't know the names. Many of you are masters of that, and my goal is to wear my scents the same and drive all of you nuts.

I recently noticed a woman I work with was wearing Angel- I am not attracted to her. It did not make her more attractive to me. But I found it interesting that she wore it. When I commented on it and knew it was Angel, it kind of freaked her out. Amusing being a Baseenoter at times.

My ex wife loved Calyx which always smelled like Raid to me.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

This thread deserves a sticky. But I can tell you it won't be noticed nor read by the target audience who's heads are probably too far up their own end.

I have to agree with Partario. The right scent has the potential to enhance a person's innate attractiveness, or at least draw one's attention. And like StylinLA I do get my head turned by certain fragrances, notably Gucci Rush & Chanel Coco Mademoiselle.

I beg to differ. The industry knows this very well but continues to market it otherwise anyway as market research shows that there are enough gullible boys around to support a slew of fragrance releases. Nowhere is this more evident than in the number of threads asking about the distastefully coined term 'panty-dropper'. The search for the improbable & the unattainable by this socially clueless segment will continue to drive sales for years to come.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 19th August 2011 at 08:03 AM.

Basenotes Plus

by........ Gucci Rush??? Et tu, Diamondflame?
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    by........ Gucci Rush??? Et tu, Diamondflame?
    LOL. Rush oddly reminds me of a fragrance a mystery girl wore to a lecture I attended as an undergrad many years ago. You could probably guess by now that I couldn't pay any attention to whatever was taught that day...

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    This thread deserves a sticky. But I can tell you it won't be noticed nor read by the target audience who's heads are probably too far up their own end.

I have to agree with Partario. The right scent has the potential to enhance a person's innate attractiveness, or at least draw one's attention. And like StylinLA I do get my head turned by certain fragrances, notably Gucci Rush & Chanel Coco Mademoiselle.

I beg to differ. The industry knows this very well but continues to market it otherwise anyway as market research shows that there are enough gullible boys around to support a slew of fragrance releases. Nowhere is this more evident than in the number of threads asking about the distastefully coined term 'panty-dropper'. The search for the improbable & the unattainable by this socially clueless segment will continue to drive sales for years to come.
    I have to agree with Diamond that the industry still uses the "seduction" sell to promote products: half-naked men and women, close-ups of kisses, etc.

I met my DH, fell in love and married him and he never wore fragrance. In fact, he still waits for "special times" to wear the scents I bought him, and I still douse him with scent of my own.

Fragrance is only a part of what might make a person attractive.

And Suga, the industry knows the deceitful advertising, but preys upon the gullible.

Having a sticky won't work. How many new posts do we see on "what chicks will like" posted here from time to time?

My answer to that? Axe. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    ahhh, yeah...I debated posting that. Worried about lowering opinions of me. I suppose it's kind of the " AdG" for some women. While many women like it, I can see that it probably annoys a lot women too (just like guys with A*Men). But in keeping with tone of this thread, please be clear, the scent gets my attention, but it doesn't attract me to anyone I'm not attracted too with or without Angel. But I enjoy the cotton candy vibe, and will always find the source when I detect it. Sort of freaks me out.Like I said, I have a sweet tooth.

Frankly, I enjoy women who get the balance right, whatever the scent. Meaning you wear a scent well suited to you at jusssssst the right dose to reach out a teeny bit and then recede and then come back again. The woman who drove me craziest in this way wore Passion, which I don't think is a highly regarded scent here. (sorry, I'm kind of new dabbling in this section of the forum, and other than Shalimar, L'huere Bleu, Mitsouko and of course, Angel, don't know many women's scents). Passion worked on her and was always coming and going and coming and going. I recognize Angel and I like it, but many scents catch my attention. I just don't know the names. Many of you are masters of that, and my goal is to wear my scents the same and drive all of you nuts.

I recently noticed a woman I work with was wearing Angel- I am not attracted to her. It did not make her more attractive to me. But I found it interesting that she wore it. When I commented on it and knew it was Angel, it kind of freaked her out. Amusing being a Baseenoter at times.

My ex wife loved Calyx which always smelled like Raid to me.
    That's okay. I probably shouldn't be so harsh about Angel. Taste in fragrance is a really personal thing. Today I just tried My Insolence by Guerlain and I think it's a really nice, pretty scent. However, I read some reviews of it on here and I found out that a number of people really dislike it. One person called it a "headache." I also found out that a lot of people really hate Red Door by Elizabeth Arden and I've always loved that perfume. Being on this forum sort of almost makes me feel like I'm being really contrary to popular opinion LOL!
    That's too bad that your ex liked a fragrance that you couldn't stand, BTW, that kind of sucks. My ex actually didn't like the same fragrances that I like either. I bought him Paradise by Alfred Sung one year for Christmas just because Iloved the way it smelled. I probably should have bought it for myself because he never wore it. Oh well *sigh* lol

Lol! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Axe advert "slightly" inspired by a particular scene for the film "Monty Python's the meaning of life" (WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!) where a young man condemned to death was able to choose how exactly he was to be executed and he chose... to be chased until total exhaustion by a crowd of alluring, gorgeous, nubile young ladies? Or is it just a personal impression?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Can a fragrance itself cause initial attraction? Sure it can, just as other attention grabbing additions such as 'the right' clothing or certain grooming can do.

But from that initial moment of attention deeper and longer lasting attraction likely relies on other than just fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Lol! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Axe advert "slightly" inspired by a particular scene for the film "Monty Python's the meaning of life" (WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!) where a young man condemned to death was able to choose how exactly he was to be executed and he chose... to be chased until total exhaustion by a crowd of alluring, gorgeous, nubile young ladies? Or is it just a personal impression?
    LOL! Ken, I recall this absurd bit of humour!

I also remember the line "walking perfume shop." Also a classic Monty Python line.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I have to agree with Partario. The right scent has the potential to enhance a person's innate attractiveness, or at least draw one's attention.
    Yup.

I think I may have mentioned this story here a while back, but there was a time long ago when I worked at a bakery with a bunch of other women. We were just idling behind the counter when a man walked in, wearing the most amazing scent. All of us, to a woman, stopped and stared at him. He was not particularly attractive, as I recall. And he was more than a little frightened by our sudden, intense, no doubt predatory interest. One of us -- may have been me -- asked him what scent he was wearing. He blurted out something and fled. Of course I have no memory of what he said, even 5 minutes afterward, and neither did anyone else. But we talked about him for a long time.

That said, anyone who actually believes the hooey about panty-dropping fed to them by the fragrance marketing industry would also believe that models and celebs actually look like that in real life.

This thread should be included in the best of Basenotes.

Lovely & wise thread.

Cheers!

There was this book 'Perfume' where the scent of young women drive the man to murder. Probably not in reality, but good book still