Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I do not believe fragrance alone could attract a man or a woman.

I can't bear these ridiculous questions like what would make me sexy or what makes you want to rip a man's clothes off? Imagine Michael Gove starts wearing Une Rose , then Cameron decides Violette Precieuse is just so him . Ladies their clothes would stay firmly in place . As for the heaving , sweating type who only wants to know what would make me rip his clothes off I dare you to strut out because nothing , nothing would make me touch a hair on your head with such attitudes. I like the man first and then hope I like what he wears and I do but then I buy it for him .

AromiErotici

Default Re: I do not believe fragrance alone could attract a man or a woman.

It certainly helps smelling good, but I have yet to run across a scent that makes my libido go berserk.

Basenotes Institution

Definitely for me , the whole persona of a man I'm attracted to, will make me positively biased towards his scent choice .
    A lot of the men's fragrances I love have been associated with amazing men I knew/ know and wore those . Tommy , Drakkar Noir , Original Polo etc.
    So for me - it's 'man first , scent second . '
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I totally agree that the man makes the scent. I am more likely to notice a guy who wears fragrance in moderation than one who doesn't smell of anything and unfortunately you cannot help but to notice the ones who reek of body odor or too much fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Naturelle by Yves Rocher

I think if you are close enough to smell a guy's perfume, you already like him!

Really, I've posted this before, I am not sure how men relate to how women smell, generally, but on the other side, I really just think women want men not to stink. So smelling good removes a barrier, it sure does. But no, I'd certainly not be attracted to a guy simply because he smelled good even if he smelled the best of any guy I'd ever smelled. As part of a package, yes some credit goes to scent but most of that comes from "you don't stink".

Sadly this is a fantasy which has been sold over the years by marketing. I am actually surprised some people still believe it. Sort of like the perfume version of the Tooth Fairy coming for your old teeth.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Definitely for me , the whole persona of a man I'm attracted to, will make me positively biased towards his scent choice .
    A lot of the men's fragrances I love have been associated with amazing men I knew/ know
    Yes, me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    Not necessarily. Those of us who use public transport often have no choice!

I really just think women want men not to stink. So smelling good removes a barrier, it sure does. As part of a package, yes some credit goes to scent but most of that comes from "you don't stink".
    Absolutely!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Basenotes Institution

Really, I've posted this before, I am not sure how men relate to how women smell, generally, but on the other side, I really just think women want men not to stink. So smelling good removes a barrier, it sure does. But no, I'd certainly not be attracted to a guy simply because he smelled good even if he smelled the best of any guy I'd ever smelled. As part of a package, yes some credit goes to scent but most of that comes from "you don't stink".
    Oh yeah ! Agreed!
    Especially the "you don't stink" bit ...... the man 'in view' gets credit for that ! *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Some scents do turn my head and make me want to follow the person; however, he could look like Yogi Bear - it's just the scent that attracts (patchouli in particular does this to me, dunno why). Doesn't mean I want to "drop my panties" as certain members say. I thought it was a given, sheesh, the man first not the scent. I mean in a real situation, so much more is going on that is more important than a commercial fragrance. Usually. Some scents can bring up particular emotions from our unconscious. Hopefully, we're aware of that kind of thing when it's happening.

Oh yes no body odour please !!!

It is hard to believe Donna .

Blog Entries

Fragrance is just a bonus, I've come across many great smelling guys who I wouldn't even consider dating. A lovely scent does not mask narrow minded thinking...

In fact my boy barely wears fragrance at all - he has a small collection which has been purchased entirely by me and my fragrance-loving parents and he only wears them when prompted. But his other priceless qualities more than make up for his disinterest in fragrance - means more cupboard space for me anyway
    Last edited by Un Belle Parfum; 12th August 2011 at 02:32 AM.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Blog Entries

The sexiest thing about a man, for me, is his brain and his sense of humour. No amount of the best, classiest, most sophisticated perfume could make up for a lack in those two areas.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Sort of like the perfume version of the Tooth Fairy coming for your old teeth.
    LOL !!! Thanks for a good morning laugh!

I like a man to smell clean first and foremost and any good scent is then a bonus!
    I still remember the body odour/Brut smell of those 70's discos mixed with too much
    Charlie and Anais Anias!!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Sorry to weigh in so late, but beginning with the title alone, this is one of the truly most witty, sensitive, common-sense threads ever
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

Quote Originally Posted by memories View Post
    I can't bear these ridiculous questions like what would make me sexy or what makes you want to rip a man's clothes off? Imagine Michael Gove starts wearing Une Rose , then Cameron decides Violette Precieuse is just so him . Ladies their clothes would stay firmly in place . As for the heaving , sweating type who only wants to know what would make me rip his clothes off I dare you to strut out because nothing , nothing would make me touch a hair on your head with such attitudes. I like the man first and then hope I like what he wears and I do but then I buy it for him .
    Sadly, far too many people here and in general, many of them members of Basenotes, are under the impression that fragrance is some sort of aphrodisiac love potion. There is no such thing. Fragrance is simply an accessory to good grooming, which in itself attractive. One bathes, dresses well, is well groomed, and wears attractive accessories. This makes one approachable.

A person with an unattractive personality wearing fragrance is still an unattractive person. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Sorry to weigh in so late, but beginning with the title alone, this is one of the truly most witty, sensitive, common-sense threads ever
    Here, here to this!
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th August 2011 at 09:55 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Thankfully women don't ever stink so men don't have that hurdle to jump or avoid.

Wait. On second thought...
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Thank-you very much to those who answered and especially because so many understood exactly what I meant.

This is a great thread memories- belated welcome to Basenotes!!
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

@kbe
    LOL! Yes, of course we stink sometimes! We sweat and have normal body functions. I just mean I don't know how much men care...Anytime I am worried and think I smell, DH says he cannot smell anything. I don't let him get real close and sniffing at those times though - but he'd try, he really just doesn't seem to care. Where I am a little more squeamish about stinky body smells. I have always considered this a male/female split, though it may not be. I haven't taken a scientific poll or anything. My brothers also always seemed pretty unbothered by stink.

I'm so glad you've posted this! I've been fighting the urge to HULKSMASH every single time a guy posts one of those questions for a long time now. "Ladies, how do you like Kouros?" Well, I like it fine, but it's not a miracle in a bottle, it's not gonna make me just jump into bed with you or any other guy. I often feel like pointing out: PERFUMES ARE NOT MAGIC POTIONS, MEN. I'm not going to drop my panties because you walk up to me in a cloud of Musc Ravageur! Or Kouros! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PANTY-DROPPER!

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest. *deep breaths*

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    This is a great thread memories- belated welcome to Basenotes!!
    Thank-you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post
    I'm so glad you've posted this! I've been fighting the urge to HULKSMASH every single time a guy posts one of those questions for a long time now. "Ladies, how do you like Kouros?" Well, I like it fine, but it's not a miracle in a bottle, it's not gonna make me just jump into bed with you or any other guy. I often feel like pointing out: PERFUMES ARE NOT MAGIC POTIONS, MEN. I'm not going to drop my panties because you walk up to me in a cloud of Musc Ravageur! Or Kouros! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PANTY-DROPPER!

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest. *deep breaths*
    A great reply , thank-you.

Gawd, thank you. Every time I see a thread that references "pantydropping factor" (a phrase I *hate*) or whatever, my eye twitches and I have to use quite a bit of self control not to snark. Don't get me wrong- scent is a fairly important factor in attraction for me, at least, but it's not perfumes. It's a guy's natural scent. No, not B.O., but the sort of way his skin/hair would smell after a shower? I don't know if I'm making sense...But when I hear people asking "what is the pantydropping factor of perfume x?" or "how well do women like perfume y?" all I can imagine is some high school, early college-age guy bathing himself in Axe or Lynx or whatever he thinks will get the girls to ooh and aah over him. 'Cause more is better, right? In reality it just seems like immaturity and no self-confidence...Very unattractive.

Anyway, the objectification of whatever sex the "zomg, what scent will get me laid?" is aimed towards always strikes me as a bit unpleasant, as well.

No fragrance will buy you peer approval and a love life, but the fragrance industry seems to be the last to realize this.

That is why things like Axe body sprays are so hilarious: it claims it can make angels fall from Heaven and get women to come running.

The gullible will rush out and buy this in order to get the girls to come running. Come to think of it, what of that commercial? LOL!

"No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    No fragrance will buy you peer approval and a love life...

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast."--Alexander Pope
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Oh, god, those Axe/Lynx adverts are so ridiculous and offensive. I have to counter with the Specsavers parody - which illustrates our point quite nicely, I think!