Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Invasion Barbare

Man, this stuff is sooooooo good. In fact it's perfect. 10/10.

I've been fooling around with a sample for a little over a month now. It blows me away every time I wear it.

Yep, it's pure class. I hate doing it but I give it 10/10 too! Possibly the perfect scent. It's a shame I can't afford it, haha!!

Have you tried Penhaligons Sartorial?
    Last edited by boosh; 12th August 2011 at 02:12 AM.

Default Re: Invasion Barbare

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Yep, it's pure class. I hate doing it but I give it 10/10 too! Possibly the perfect scent. It's a shame I can't afford it, haha!!

Have you tried Penhaligons Sartorial?

I've never tried it. Do they smell similar or is sartorial another one you'd give a 10? I'll have to sample it.

To my nose they are somewhat similar. Both nu-fougeres (newgeres). I'd try it out and see what you think

Still dreaming someday to own a bottle of this one.

I have not tried it either. Tiffany for Men is another must try. My list keeps getting longer and longer. Thanks a lot. lol

Invasion Barbare is a much more modern intrpretation of a fougere. I bought a decent sized sample and wore it a couple of times and can't embrace it myself. Something unfamiliar about it I can't wrap my nose around. But this is not a knock...it's a neat scent. Just not for me ( right now anyway).

I tend to think Sartorial is warmer and a bit more traditional.

I'll say this for IB. The scent from the previous days wearing was waiting in my car for me 20 hours later.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 12th August 2011 at 02:48 AM.

To me it smells very similar to fruity pebbles - that whif you get when you first open a new box. Not a bad smell, but "Invasion Barbare" is a complete misnomer. It should be called "childish candy smell." It has very strong projection/longevity though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    To me it smells very similar to fruity pebbles - that whif you get when you first open a new box. Not a bad smell, but "Invasion Barbare" is a complete misnomer. It should be called "childish candy smell." It has very strong projection/longevity though.

I don't get that at all. I can see the M7 Fresh//Fruit Loops comparison, but Fruity Pebbles or childish candy does not come to mind when I wear Invasion Barbare.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Still dreaming someday to own a bottle of this one.

I just ordered one! I can't wait till it comes in.

I figured I'd probably end up buying 5 moderately priced frags over the next several months so instead I decided to get this and just put an end to spending for a while.

In fact I hope to take that approach more often in the future.

Shame it doesn't come in a larger size.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I figured I'd probably end up buying 5 moderately priced frags over the next several months so instead I decided to get this and just put an end to spending for a while.
    I would have done the same. It's not about quantity....it's quality...
    \

I don't get that at all. I can see the M7 Fresh//Fruit Loops comparison, but Fruity Pebbles or childish candy does not come to mind when I wear Invasion Barbare.
    OK, fruit loops. But with a name like invasion barbare you expect something manly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    OK, fruit loops. But with a name like invasion barbare you expect something manly.
    I meant the comparison of m7 Fresh to fruit loops, not Invasion Barbare to M7 Fresh or fruit loops. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

I'll say this for IB. The scent from the previous days wearing was waiting in my car for me 20 hours later.

It lasts forever on clothes too.

And cats.

It lasts forever on clothes too.

And cats.
    Lol

I like Invasion Barbare too, but i disagree about it being innovative or something. I think it is a very well done high quality fougere, but i feel it's still by-the-book and formulaic. Not much originality, i've smelled this fragrance many times before, what we get here is possibly the epitome of this genre (which isn't bad at all obviously) and not a creative breakthrough, which was my hope when i first sampled it.

I also think IB is great, and wanted to share my strategy for dealing with the high cost:

MDCI has a popular samples program, and there are a lot of 10ml bottles of IB floating around. By targeting samples, I was able to build a 60ml stash of IB for less than half of the price of a bottle. Just an idea for fans who care mostly about the juice itself.

I also really like Sartorial, apparently this "nu-gére" genre is for me. The beeswax and linden of Sartorial make it warmer and earthier, but I still find plenty of time wear both scents.
    Last edited by cosmopolit; 12th August 2011 at 01:33 PM.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

One more IB thread and I'm buying it. It's not the cost that's stopping me, it's the hassle of ordering it online and worrying about it till it gets here and if it gets stopped at customs...

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    One more IB thread and I'm buying it. It's not the cost that's stopping me, it's the hassle of ordering it online and worrying about it till it gets here and if it gets stopped at customs...

LOL. I feel your pain man....I'm already anxious about it getting here safely and it's only coming in from Canada.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by cosmopolit View Post
    I also think IB is great, and wanted to share my strategy for dealing with the high cost:

MDCI has a popular samples program, and there are a lot of 10ml bottles of IB floating around. By targeting samples, I was able to build a 60ml stash of IB for less than half of the price of a bottle. Just an idea for fans who care mostly about the juice itself.
    Exactly what I'd have done myself. Whether you're wearing a fragrance from a full bottle or a decant/sample, it still smells the same. No one else has to know. That is if you're into fragrancewear, not fragrance bottle collecting.

Bump

I have just got a sample of this from lucky scent. It opens with a candy type fragrance and seems to morph on your skin with lavender and violets weaving in and out and I can tell its a very complex fragrance. After a while I find it gets warmer and woody with that candy fragrance in the background. The more I smell it the more I like it and it seems to grow on you.

What I find amazing about it is it seems alive on your skin in the way the scent keeps changing everytime you smell it.lol This may sound crazy but it seems to morph when your actually smelling it. Excellent creation. I hope my other sample which is Puredistance M matches up to this one.

10/10.

This makes it in to my top 2 (along with Poivre 23)- It's as close to perfect as I think I can expect to find.

Buy some. Love it. It's pure magic.
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Bump

I have just got a sample of this from lucky scent. It opens with a candy type fragrance and seems to morph on your skin with lavender and violets weaving in and out and I can tell its a very complex fragrance. After a while I find it gets warmer and woody with that candy fragrance in the background. The more I smell it the more I like it and it seems to grow on you.

What I find amazing about it is it seems alive on your skin in the way the scent keeps changing everytime you smell it.lol This may sound crazy but it seems to morph when your actually smelling it. Excellent creation. I hope my other sample which is Puredistance M matches up to this one.

I don't know if you noticed yet but there's also this very slight, animalic musk underneath the whole thing that really brings it together.

It's cool that you pointed out how it morphs. It really does, to the point where it never actually smells exactly the same but it's almost like it's always a different version of itself. Sometimes the vanilla is more prominent, sometimes the orange or the woods, and sometimes the musk or the candy aspect. I find it also works really well on clothes, in fact I had a sample and sprayed it on a shirt, then accidentally put the shirt on about 3 days later and couldn't get over how good it smelled. That's what finally convinced me to get it.

I have a real dilemma as my other sample was Puredistance M and I like them both but can only buy one. But which one?......Making the choice is going to do my nose and head in.lol

I really love the opening and the basenotes. Opening gives me different dried fruity aroma a la fougere style. I get a powdery, ambery, "incensy" sillage that is so addicting in the basenotes - my favorite part. Now there's something in the heart note that's making me hesitant of getting this one. Something that turns me off. Perhaps I am not a fougere loving fume head. I'll try this one again, this time with light application and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have a real dilemma as my other sample was Puredistance M and I like them both but can only buy one. But which one?......Making the choice is going to do my nose and head in.lol
    I really disliked M, which I suppose was lucky for my wallet. I think Invasion Barbare is the best perfume I have ever smelled and will definitely be looking for some at some point.

After a year of sniffing new things niche and non, this one is still the one that strikes me as the one that has the most quality. It's just amazing every single time I smell it and the compliments have rivaled Aventus. Super manly , perfect spice, and musk and a hint of dirty in there somewhere but JUST barely.

This would be THE bottle I would keep out of 65 ish if I had to drop all but 1, the price atm keeps me milking the wears but I will never regret the full bottle of this.

Nothing I have sniffed so far even comes close to imitating the combo here.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Definitely 10/10. Classy classy scent.

Hey BB, i'm thinknig of blind buying a decant of this, 10ml of it, wondering if you think its a good choice? do you still feel the same about this stuff?

I'm keen to try IB as I like Sartorial, but the off notes and synthetic musk/ambroxan base ruin it for me.

8/10 for me, I like it but I don't feel the spices are very well blended into the frag as a whole. It's almost like the spices hover over the fougere accord.

Also, I think the name Invasion Barbare could be a double entendre... Barbarian/Barber Shop. As a fougere it has a strong barber shop feel to it.

I've read so much about this stuff and people's responses to it being as close to HG as there is and it just being a must try has peeked my interest. couple questions i do have is, is this daily wear or more of formal occasions and from what i've read it appears to have good lonevity and projection..is this true?

It works for both daily wear and formal, it's just as classical as it gets.

In the past, Parfums MDCI used to offer a set of 7 or so fragrances in 10ml bottles for eur 77 or so, don't know if it's still the case. But that's obviously a great way to sample IB as well as the others.

cacio

I was hoping to like this one... But nope its pretty horrible on me! Kinda like sour milk in my fruity soap pebbles.. Made me sick had to scrub quickly. Don't see the hype.

What other scents would one have to enjoy to like IB? Not smelling it and hearing some examples of "fruity pebbles" cereal has me a bit concerned lol I am not blind buying a bottle, but have an oppurtunity to get a 10ml decant of this or 10ml of baie Rose 26 from le labo or Poirve 23...decisions decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    What other scents would one have to enjoy to like IB? Not smelling it and hearing some examples of "fruity pebbles" cereal has me a bit concerned lol I am not blind buying a bottle, but have an oppurtunity to get a 10ml decant of this or 10ml of baie Rose 26 from le labo or Poirve 23...decisions decisions...
    Barbasol with some spices and citrus. I never got the "fruity pebbles" thing from the cirtus tho.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I'm keen to try IB as I like Sartorial, but the off notes and synthetic musk/ambroxan base ruin it for me.
    I like IB's opening and heart notes, but not a fan of its drydown as well, as it gives me a little bit of Axe body spray vibe. I don't think it's worth its price tag of $4/ml, IMO.

Okay, I'm convinced! I will add this to my next sample batch.

It's still very top of the list in my entire wardrobe, this one smells as Niche as it gets to me. It smells amazing on clothing like a sweater and lasts all day no doubt even in Las Vegas heat.

Probably would be my holy grail if I didn't love so many scents.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

What other scents does this compare too? What else smells some what similiar

Dependent

The opening is intriguing but I found the vanilla fougere drydown quite tame. Undoubtedly good construction, I would definitely one tenth the price for it. At $4/ml I'll pass

Am I the only one who finds this a whee bit feminine? I don't know, I really wanted to like it (I'm a bit vain at times - I would love to have the resin bottle... what can I say?), but I just cannot get myself to buy a full bottle of this thing.

Maybe it needs more wearings, I don't know.

For a frag priced as this is, I at least would've liked my girlfriend to really love it, alas she didn't. Oh well.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Nyegaard View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this a whee bit feminine?
    No. I consider it unisex but leaning slightly masculine. The candy/vanilla thing and floral lavender are the culprits. A woman could definitely pull it off imo. I likely very manly scents and this ain't that.

I like it and don't think it's too feminine (maybe by hardcore 70ies/80ies-standards, but even then only slightly so). I don't like it enough to get over the price though.

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    I've read so much about this stuff and people's responses to it being as close to HG as there is and it just being a must try has peeked my interest. couple questions i do have is, is this daily wear or more of formal occasions and from what i've read it appears to have good lonevity and projection..is this true?

Persianprince: Coincidentally I'm wearing IB today, and yes, I still feel the same about it. In fact I like it even more then I did when I originally started wearing it. I think a 10ml decant would be a great starting place for you, as it will give you enough wears to begin to fully appreciate it. I never get sick of this scent, and I wear it a lot.

It smells nothing like fruity pebbles, don't worry about that.

It works very well as a daily scent--it's relaxed yet classy, elegant and understated. It is never harsh or intrusive. At the same time, it has excellent sillage and longevity. There's also a low key animalic musk in the drydown that adds just the right amount of sexiness to it. (Can't believe I just typed that.) It also works great in a more formal situation. In fact its versatility is one of the reasons why I can justify the hefty price tag of this one--you'll get plenty of use out of it. The only situation I would not wear it in is a casual summer, shorts and t-shirt kind of day.

Now Smell This (the website) has a very good review of it. You may want to read that.

It smells similar to Le Male and Histoires de Parfums 1725 Casanova, but of course much different also.

Persianprince: Coincidentally I'm wearing IB today, and yes, I still feel the same about it. In fact I like it even more then I did when I originally started wearing it. I think a 10ml decant would be a great starting place for you, as it will give you enough wears to begin to fully appreciate it. I never get sick of this scent, and I wear it a lot.

It smells nothing like fruity pebbles, don't worry about that.

It works very well as a daily scent--it's relaxed yet classy, elegant and understated. It is never harsh or intrusive. At the same time, it has excellent sillage and longevity. There's also a low key animalic musk in the drydown that adds just the right amount of sexiness to it. (Can't believe I just typed that.) It also works great in a more formal situation. In fact its versatility is one of the reasons why I can justify the hefty price tag of this one--you'll get plenty of use out of it. The only situation I would not wear it in is a casual summer, shorts and t-shirt kind of day.

Now Smell This (the website) has a very good review of it. You may want to read that.

It smells similar to Le Male and Histoires de Parfums 1725 Casanova, but of course much different also.
    Reading this made me feel so much better about my purchase! Thanks BB, sounds like i'm gonna love it and you basically described everything that makes a scent as close as a HG as possible. I also ordered the MFK based on your other thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nyegaard View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this a whee bit feminine?
    No, it's too clean. I like my women DIRTY

One of my favorites. I classify IB as a fougere/woody oriental hybrid (nu-gere?). Its quite complex in how it seamlessly bounces from citrus/violet to lavender to the sweet woodsy, spicy, musky drydown. I don't get the fruity pebbles vibe (maybe a hint in the top notes), but I do get a malted-milk like vibe in the mid notes. Love it.

I think these are actually fairly good reference points, especially the 1725, and it does have rather fantastic longevity, as stated by others.

That aside however, my personal feelings towards this one are similar to this:

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppedGarlic View Post
    I like Invasion Barbare too, but i disagree about it being innovative or something. I think it is a very well done high quality fougere, but i feel it's still by-the-book and formulaic. Not much originality, i've smelled this fragrance many times before, what we get here is possibly the epitome of this genre (which isn't bad at all obviously) and not a creative breakthrough, which was my hope when i first sampled it.
    I mean, I liked it, but over all I was rather underwhelmed. And although I didn't get much chance to wear it, nothing about it intrigued me enough to really want to spend more time exploring it. Like ChoppedGarlic's impression, the only thought that kept running through my head when wearing it was that I'd smelled it before. It probably had a different bottle, and a different name, but it smelled too familiar, and I didn't find it distinct enough, personally.

Just my opinion though, and it appears I'm in the minority on this one. But don't get me wrong, it did smell good, just not my style (also I never got the Fruity Pebbles vibe either).
    Last edited by Partario; 4th December 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I mean, I liked it, but over all I was rather underwhelmed. And although I didn't get much chance to wear it, nothing about it intrigued me enough to really want to spend more time exploring it. The only thought that kept running through my head when wearing it was that I'd smelled it before. It probably had a different bottle, and a different name, but it smelled too familiar, and I didn't find it distinct enough, personally.

Just my opinion though, and it appears I'm in the minority on this one. But don't get me wrong, it did smell good, just not my style (also I never got the Fruity Pebbles vibe either).
    I'd agree. The drydown is VERY similar to Versace Black Jeans, and many other fougeres.

10/10 from me. This has to be the most perfect construction I've known to be created. I will get a bottle soon. The bust adds something special to the aesthetics but at $125 extra, the bottle will suit me just fine
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I have to agree that this is really something special. I got 24mL from the sampling program, and I am GLAD I did. It is not the most unique creation ever, but it does ooze class and sophistication. It is tailored so that every note is blended so perfectly. It doesn't last super long on my skin (at least in the winter), but I am okay with that, as the few hours I get from it are so enjoyable.

I will most likely buy a bottle once my samples run out, which will probably be in a few years since I get that discount from the samples.

Also, everyone should read what BuysBlind wrote, as that is pretty much how I feel about it, and very useful to help understand the fragrance.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 10th February 2013 at 04:09 PM.

IB is one of the truly great ones currently in production. IMO, it is a masterpiece of blending components that have not always been successfully blended previously. The end result is a fragrance of class, sophistication and understated elegance. It is one I look forward to wearing at any formal event and even at my office. I think it deserves to have that respect; wearing it with jeans and a T-shirt just wouldn't seem right.

I just ordered one! I can't wait till it comes in.

In fact I hope to take that approach more often in the future.

More people should do that. Quality over quantity. Having 300 bottles sitting around doesn't score you any points.

Pure Class in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    IB is one of the truly great ones currently in production. IMO, it is a masterpiece of blending components that have not always been successfully blended previously. The end result is a fragrance of class, sophistication and understated elegance. It is one I look forward to wearing at any formal event and even at my office. I think it deserves to have that respect; wearing it with jeans and a T-shirt just wouldn't seem right.
    I agree that it would be great for a formal event or for the office, but since I am in college, pretty much everything I wear is with a tee shirt and jeans. It works surprisingly well! You should try it sometime. Having that ultra fresh, classy feeling while lounging is awesome.

I really need a bottle of this. Bust or no bust?

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    I really need a bottle of this. Bust or no bust?
    I recommend no bust. I'd like to have it too but at an additional $125, you could have another fragrance lol. Besides, it comes with a nice cap.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

A must own. A parfum that gets a rare 10/10 IMO...

Just received my sample today from lucky scent and I have to tell u, this is truly a timeless fragrance. Probably the classiest fragrance I have ever smelled. Too early to declare it a masterpiece but it has the potential to be one...I can see myself wearing this fragrance 41 years from now when I am 70 ( timeless)..as far as the overall smell I give it an initial 9-10/10 .. When I get a good vibe of the drydown I will decide if it is a 10/10.