Code of Conduct

Default I am looking for some really good lavender perfume.

Hi everyone! I'm relatively new to the basenotes forum so you probably don't recognize me. I'm from Southern Ontario, Canada, I'm a writer, I love perfume and I look forward to posting here more often in the future
    At the moment, I am looking for some good perfumes that have lavender as one of the main (dominant) notes. It doesn't matter too much to me whether they are EDC, EDT or EDP or if they are feminine or unisex. I was just wondering if there are any highly recommended good quality lavender fragrances? I'm sort of new to the world of perfume so I'm not really that familiar with a lot of fragrances and exactly what notes they all contain. Thanks.

Default Re: I am looking for some really good lavender perfume.

Parfums d'Orsay Arome 3
    Parfums d'Nicolai Haute Provence
    L'Occitane OAC Lavender edt
    Guerlain Jicky
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair
    Serge Lutens Encen et Lavande(unfortunately only available in Europe)
    Caron Pour Un Homme
    Guerlain AA Lavande Velours(this is discontinued but you can still find it on ebay)
    DONNA

Caldey Island Lavender. Absolutely!

Basenotes Plus

+1 for the Caldey Island Lavendar.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by lil mo View Post
    Caldey Island Lavender. Absolutely!
    This one is the ultimate lavender fragrance - and very inexpensive.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

another vote for Caldey Island Lavender and Jicky

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes, LadyDragonFire.
    All of the fine fragrances mentioned would suit your lavender needs very well.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Jicky
    A Taste of Heaven
    Liquid Crystal...once upon a time you could get cheap refills of this on luckyscent, but I think that ship has sailed.
    Biehl Parfumkuntswerke PC02--not very well known, but my favorite comfort lavender scent.

Gris clair is my vote

Caldey Island Lavender is better than Gris Clair?

Adding a vote for:
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours
    Guerlain Jicky - the EdT more than the parfum for lavender
    Pour Un Homme de Caron

And welcome!

Nasomatto Nuda, if you can stomach the price. It's like lavender concentrate.

Blog Entries

Caldey Island Lavender is musky, just be aware. I bought a bottle but resold it soon afterward; the musk did not suit either my husband or me.

I recently tried a D.S. & Durga lavender and neroli mix called Petitgrain Sur Fleur at Anthropologie-- I liked it, but wished it lasted longer.

Hermès Hermessence Brin de Réglisse is a lavender and licorice mix that is also rather fleeting but very pleasant while it lasts.

You called? I have had a serious lavender craving over the past weeks.
    I would definitely try Caron's Pour Un Homme, which is fantastic, smooth and nothing 'manly' by definition. In fact, many guys, who seem to follow the idea of boosting their manlihood through their perfume choices, actually complain about it being too feminine. I would get a bigger splash bottle and use it lavishly to render the fragrance smooth (instead of spraying). It wears Eau de Cologne style for me, so more is needed. It is refreshing and soothing, comforting and beguiling mixed with the vanilla. There is a extrait de parfum version as well, which I have on the way (blind bought), so I can't comment. It is called L'Impact Pour Un Homme from Caron.
    With regard to Jicky, I have to say that I have given up on it. The EdT does not last at all and the EdP formula has been constantly thinned and diluted (I have three vintages). It has become short-lived and low sillage to the point that it is pointless in my opinion. I always felt that the extrait of it was nice, but nothing terribly exciting and not worth the big cash, although I have never smelled an older vintage like pre-2000. I would look into Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur instead. Still, the current EdT is very nice with a civet blast. A very smooth and exquisite blend in its drydown! Enough women here seem to wear this and enjoy it.
    For more gourmandy lavender I would suggest a sample of Serge Lutens' Fourreau Noir. It is, unfortunately, one of those Europe exclusives, but there are ways to get it I heard or Serge Lutens might re-consider their policy soon, according to their own announcement. I prefer this over A Taste of Heaven, which is very nice too, but I always find its drydown too generic and disappointing. I definitely would sample the Fourreau Noir, which is my favorite gourmandy lavender.

Basenotes Plus

Antiheros by Etat Libre d'Orange is an excellent lavender.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Fourrea noir by Serge Lutens. Tonka and Lavender. The tonka and lavender remain prominent from first spray to when it fades away many many hours later.
    But you'll need access to the Paris boutique or get a decant from the perfumed court.

for swap/sale:

I adore Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Caramelised lavender KiKi by Vero Kern

Basenotes Institution

+5 for Gris Clair !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by my horses View Post
    Caramelised lavender KiKi by Vero Kern
    Big second for Kiki!

Basenotes Institution

Oh yes - Kiki is very good. Also Andy Tauer's Reverie Au Jardin is wonderful .

Thank you very much to everyone for all your wonderful recommendations! I haven't tried any of them yet, but I do have an account on the perfumed court so I look forward to ordering a bunch of new samples soon. I'll let you all know what I think as soon as I try them.

You may like to sample Yardley's Lavender as it's very cheap ( UK ). I wouldn't recommend Bronnley's Lavender though as another lady has described it as a good insect repellent!

I like the "lavender tea" from CB i hate perfume. It's an oil and I have a little 2 ml spray from the Posh pheasant.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Serge Lutens Gris Clair
    Penhaligon's Lavandula
    Caron pour un homme de Caron
    Guerlain Jicky
    Creed Royal Scottish Lavender
    Jo Malone Amber&Lavender

My wife vetoed Gris Clair because it is smoky. (But I liked it!) The one we could both agree on is Crabtree and Evelyn Lavender Water. Very nice, a little bit herbal. Tried Caldey Island; like C&E just as well.

Thumb's up for By Killian A Taste of Heaven. Also, the new Chanel Exclusifs Jersey, which is supposed to be out in the next few months, is apparently going to be lavender-based.

I would like to find the truest lavender interpretation, just lavender - like crushed dried lavender flowers in fingers. For woman. Is there something like this?

Because of my sampling for sniff and speak today, I MUST add Penhaligon's Endymion. Lavender is a star in this smooth, elegant composition. Perhaps more on the manly side, but women can pull this off, imo.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    I would like to find the truest lavender interpretation, just lavender - like crushed dried lavender flowers in fingers. For woman. Is there something like this?
    I can't think of an actual bottled fragrance to recommend unfortunately, but I will recommend a bath soak from The Body Shop. They have a powder bath soak that smells an awful lot like natural lavender. I think it's part of their aromatherapy line.

I love lavender too. If you got some ambergris, Lucas Turin says to spray it over your perfume and the perfume last longer. he used lavender as an example.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Blog Entries

Apparently L'Occitane has a new Lavender line but I have not smelled it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Caldey Island Lavender is musky, just be aware. I bought a bottle but resold it soon afterward; the musk did not suit either my husband or me.
    Yes, I find the big musk puts me off too. The name of the musk is exaltolide and it is there in large quantity. I think some people are amnosic to its large molecules so those lucky ones may just smell the extension effect is has on the lavender - I don't know. For me, it smells very strong.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Yes, I find the big musk puts me off too. The name of the musk is exaltolide and it is there in large quantity. I think some people are amnosic to its large molecules so those lucky ones may just smell the extension effect is has on the lavender - I don't know. For me, it smells very strong.
    Well, I already ordered small samples of Jicky by Guerlain, Caron Pour Un Homme, Kiki and Caldey Island Lavender and they have all already been shipped and I'm just waiting for them now. So..I will just have to wait and see what I like and what I don't. I definitely want to try both of the Serge Lutens recommendations here because I think that Serge Lutens in kind of a genious when it comes to perfumes. (Mind you I'm only basing this assessment on the one fragrance of his that I've tried which is Feminite du Bois) I also want to try Kilian's A taste of Heaven now since it has at least a couple of recommendations. I'll probably get around to trying all of these eventually, but I didn't want to pay a huge amount for samples all at once lol! Thank you again for all your recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuster Cluck View Post
    Nasomatto Nuda, if you can stomach the price. It's like lavender concentrate.
    Why did I think of Lavender when recommending this??? Disregard my first post...Nuda is all jasmine, not lavender.

Lavanda Tonica by Acqua DI Parma is fantastic!!!
    Gary

Why did I think of Lavender when recommending this??? Disregard my first post...Nuda is all jasmine, not lavender.
    That's okay. I also looked up Biehl Parfumkuntswerke PC02 (recommended by Chaplain) and apparently it's a spicy oriental fragrance and doesn't have lavender notes either (I think.) It still looked like it might be really nice though. I might see if I can get a sample and try it too. Also, I like jasmine too so I might still try your recommendation. No worries.

There is gurlain's Eau du Coq too. A lavender edc. Very nice...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Antiheros for me, wore it during my job interview day. It's the perfect lavender for me.

PS I got the job too
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Oh my gosh! I just tried my sample of Jicky by Guerlain (EDT.) I love this fragrance! @Alicka61: Jicky actually comes out smelling an awful lot like natural lavender on me. I would seriously consider buying a bottle of this. I still have to try my other samples of course but I know that I love this one! The only downside is I suspect it won't have great longevity on me, but I'll wait and see!

Lian, congratulations!

LadyDragonFire: I find Jicky has good longevity on me, in particular the EdT. I hope it works for you - such a wonderful fragrance with a healthy dose of lavender.

Okay, so far I have tried Jicky, Caron Pour Un Homme, Kiki by Vero Profumo and Caldey Island Lavender. I love the way Jicky smells on me when I first put it on, but I've discovered that when it dries down it seems to turn on me. I think I may have problems with the leather note. I'm not too sure though because I've worn other perfumes with a leather note that I think are fine. Something in Jicky doesn't quite work with my chemistry though, and I can smell the same thing in Shalimar a little bit (but it's not as strong.) That is why I think it might be the leather note (or one of the animalic notes anyway.) It's a shame because I love the natural lavender smell of Jicky. Caron Pour Un Homme comes out smelling like cinnamon rolls or other sweet desserts on me which is okay but not what I was looking for. Caldey Island Lavender is actually too musky on me. (Again..problems with an animalic note..whoops.) Out of the four of them Kiki is the winner. I love the lavender-citron smell and the longevity is amazing on me. I could still smell it clearly on my arm the next day. It's a strong, heavy fragrance so I'd have to be in the mood to wear it, but I like it a lot. Hopefully I'll get around to trying some of these others at some point.

Interesting..I don't get any leather out of Jicky...sometimes I don't even get any anmalistic vibe..no civet or whatsoever..

Kiki is still on my ·"to try list", and while we're in Switzerland: please do try out Tauers' Rêverie au Jardin,can't stop recommending it!
    +1 on the Penhaligons Lavandula, very fresh and pleasing and By Kilians A taste of heaven is very Caron-Pour un homme,but more sexy..

From all this list, the female and unisex fragrance suggestions are perfect beyond any comment. Amongst the male scents:

An additional vote for Caron Pour Un Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    I have only found that true scent of real crushed lavender in essential oils sold at health food stores and places that sell real essence oils. I'm not crazy about lavender used in fragrance compositions or fougère type fragrances. I like the way they smell on others, but I get tired of them on my own skin (except Jicky, which is different of course, and Yardley's lavender cologne, which has citrus, too, and I just have a nostalgic fondness for it). When I want the scent of simple, pure lavender I use a lavender essential oil that I bought at Whole Foods. I add a couple of drops to hair conditioner, or I'll sprinkle a couple of drops on a warm face cloth to inhale. Very therapeutic! And uplifting. And smells like a summer day in heaven.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I have only found that true scent of real crushed lavender in essential oils sold at health food stores and places that sell real essence oils.....
    I have to agree with this. I have a bottle of lavender essential oil (Lavandula augustifolia a.k.a. Highland lavender) which smells exactly like the flowers. Fantastic stuff, that.

It's this brand:
    http://www.oshadhi.co.uk/ecom-catshow/lavender.html

Basenotes Institution

Ajne 's De Lavande is straight up beautiful organic and natural lavender . They'll also add the scent to body lotion and oil if requested.
    www.ajne.com

All of L'occitane's lavenders, past and present, are good imo. One of them has to work for you, or you probably don't like lavender.

Also, a local drugstore favorite here, Rebul Lavanda is a very nice, green and warm straight up clean lavender.
    It has somewhat an old dandy, auntie associations to it, but it's still excellent in its huge bottle as a morning refresher.

Basenotes Institution

Oh yes +1 for A Taste of Heaven By Kilian . This is a really good lavender .

I personally believe that Pour un Homme is the real deal... I had lavender in bloom next to my sun bed this summer. I was intoxicated by the smell in the heat... the caramelized lavender-vanilla drydown of Pour un Homme is it!

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    Antiheros by Etat Libre d'Orange is an excellent lavender.
    KABLAMO. I couldn't agree more! I read your lavender round up on your blog, too, so I know you're on your schnizzle. http://thecandyperfumeboy.com/2012/0...e-to-lavender/

My favorite lavender is Antiheros. It takes everything you ever thought about lavender and stands it on its head. Also try Kiki by Vero Profumo in the EDP (Vero Kern's trademark passionfruit with lavender is like Seville lavender absolute) and Caron Pour Un Homme. That's my top 3 lavenders.
    Last edited by nosyneighbor; 9th April 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    "A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man." Cyrano de Bergerac

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Guerlain Jicky
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplain View Post
    A Taste of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by noelia View Post
    Jo Malone Amber&Lavender
    These with a strong preference for A Taste of Heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Penhaligon's Endymion. Lavender is a star in this smooth, elegant composition. Perhaps more on the manly side, but women can pull this off, imo.
    Yes, this can easily be worn by women.
    My thought exactly when reading through the thread. I get a strong tuberose from Nuda, too.

Last year had a crush on lavender ))here are my faves: DK Essence Lavender is nice herbal citrus lavender. I also enjoy Gris Claire and Pour un homme. Playful lavender is in Mona di orio Chamarre, but hard to find.

Will now try taste of heaven and antiheros.

Lavender Palm is also nice but too sharp and masculine for me.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

I am relatively new too so I can only recommend what I know but Czeck & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge is a beautiful lavender with mint.

I am surprised that you have not gotten to my #1 for the lavendar scent! That is: Lavande by Annick Goutal. It's the best. I do think eau de Caron Homme is #2.