Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro Acteur's Rose

This rose is phenomenal, why is this fragrance not talked about more on basenotes? It has one of the most natural smelling rose's that i've ever smelled comparable if not better to most niche roses. It has amazing longevity and pretty good sillage. On my skin the scent is pretty linear however it is not a scent that you want to have evolving to begin with, I primarily get a ton of the beautiful natural rose with woodsy cedar and musk notes creeping in the background bolstered with hints of mace and cardamom. The rose is accompanied by a jasmine note that does give it a somewhat fresh accord which might be the apple note talked about in other reviews. Acteur really is quite beautiful having the juxtaposition of rose with the spicy wood notes, and the scent is really formal and sophisticated. In my opinion this fragrance definitely deserves a wider audience, this scent deserves to be right up there with other masterpieces such as zino and egoiste; it is an absolutely stunning fragrance. For the price you can get this at, you have nothing to lose.
    Last edited by Slushiex3; 13th August 2011 at 08:42 AM.

Default Re: Azzaro Acteur's Rose

You are absolutely right. It is a wonderful scent.

I remember wanting to get this after reading Perfaddict's review where he states the quality of the rose used was as good as the rose in Lyric Man. I purchased blind and was so glad I did. I have two large bottles at home and I love them! Perfaddict was right on the money.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I have wondered why this gem isn't discussed more often here. One of the best designer fragrances around, and one that surpasses many niche fragrances, in my opinion.

One of the more masculine rose I know that conquered me at the first sniff. Sillage is quite good and fix is excellent. I don't have anything that could negatively mention about this fragrance.

I got it from a swap and im waiting to arrive.
    Cant wait, i will love it, thought.

There are some comparisons with Azzaro Pour Homme?

Is Acteur still in production?
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I do share the enthusiasm for Acteur, but probably only for the first half an hour or so. On my skin,the impressive early accords quickly recede, and I am left with a fairly uninteresting whisper of amber and musk. Had it performed better on my skin, I would have put it up there with my beloved Iquitos. That said, it is nice to see Acteur given some thread time.
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 13th August 2011 at 03:38 PM.

I like it as well.
    Green tinted bright topped geranium / rose and fairly old-school musk.
    Not much sweetness to it. It could be a lot dirtier IMO, but it's still great.

Oh, no Daniel, there are no comparisons, at all, between acteur and Azzaro ph apart from the musk note. Acteur is a musky and velvety dark rose while Azzaro ph is a bright woody fougere.

Morrison, it is still in production and is an underrated and cheap cologne.

Thanks for the explanation.

I think it get discontinued and now back to production, cause there are various old threads asking about this discontinued Azzaro, hunting for a bottle, etc

This is one of my favorites...

I'm really mixed on this one.

I don't find Acteur linear, actually, the opposite. I also find the top notes really "prickly". I also wish the rose would stick around longer for me. Perhaps another sampling is in order.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I find the opening too strong and prefer the drydown, where the nice wood note comes to the fore. This is why I like to dab it on rather than spray it. Also, it has a "boozy" quality to me, especially at first, which I'm not a big fan of, but this is very high quality stuff for the current prices. It's really laughable, to me, that people are paying a lot more for "chemical soup" frags.

Certainly smells interesting and peculiar. Reminds me of something (sweets? ) but can't quite remember. Lovely stuff so far.

I received and liked a lot.

Remember me Tom Ford Arabian Wood. SOmeone has this resemblance too?

I like it too, but it's not a rose frag, it just has a little bit of rose in it.. not quite enough, but I like Lyric Man which is too rosy for many guys. The mace/nutmeg note throws me off a little... it's a bit overdone IMO but the drydown is a little better, except for the fact that the rose also exits eventually as well. I can't argue that it's a good value, I got it for under $30 shipped, but not sure it's going to find a place in my rotation too often.

I think this is a great fragrance too. I bought it blind and have never regretted the decision. Has great evolution and longevity. A great fragrance which can be bought at silly prices if a) you can find it and b) if you are lucky.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlebooth View Post
    I do share the enthusiasm for Acteur, but probably only for the first half an hour or so. On my skin,the impressive early accords quickly recede, and I am left with a fairly uninteresting whisper of amber and musk. Had it performed better on my skin, I would have put it up there with my beloved Iquitos. That said, it is nice to see Acteur given some thread time.
    I have exactly the same experience as described above! Also after 3/4 hrs, the scent is almost gone. Horrible longevity on my skin.
    The first hour is very good though!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Is Acteur still in production?
    Yes, I bought mine several months ago from an online retailer based in the UK.

Basenotes Plus

Vintage formulation is outstanding - superb and unlike any other scent. I have written a lot in forum threads, reviews and even done a poll (comparing it to Zino, although I adore both scents in their Original formulation, but they are so different in notes, structure and vibe). Current Acteur is not nearly as good as Vintage formulation...search it out!

A lot has been covered here and elsewhere. It is my Scent of the Day - while burning a nice Rose incense stick in the other room. An Autumn Friday here in Northern California that cannot smell any better...

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Acteur and Zino are both on my radar. I've already smelled Acteur and like it a lot. I have a decant of both on the way. I'll likely end up purchasing both since they can be had for $30 each!

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Vintage formulation is outstanding

ericrico
    What the gentleman said...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I'm really mixed on this one.

I don't find Acteur linear, actually, the opposite. I also find the top notes really "prickly". I also wish the rose would stick around longer for me. Perhaps another sampling is in order.
    I agree on this description. In fact I have had this in my collection for many years, (hardly ever wear it) and........wait for it, shame on me ~ I never detected any rose in this fragrance !!!! I will have to dig out my bottle and try this again.....I love rose.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found my bottle. Now I get the rose. I think I didn' t before because there's a very dominant ginger note that, (to my nose) drownds the rose. I think it is this strong ginger note that Surfacing and I find "prickly". I love ginger in fragrances, but in this fragrance it is a bit ott.
    Still it is fantastic......thanks for the thread. Now I will start wearing it, (also found a deo stick !!).
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Basenotes Plus

Hello david -

Glad you found the bottle and the beautiful rose in Acteur! It is, as I've put it before, a deep dark red rose (burgundy) with darkness on the tips of the petals...a couple days past its prime of being a "fresh bloom". The slightly wilted rose has lost a few petals - on the table, falling into the bowl of fresh and dried fruit (which creates the slightly boozy accord).

The "prickly" ginger note you and Surfacing are finding is actually the Mace. Mace oil has the scent of freshly grated nutmeg - and it definitely will give the accord of being "prickly". It, to my nose, fits beautifully as a rich, earthy and slightly sharp spice. It is joined at the end of the top notes (moving into the heart) with the cardamom - brilliant used here.

The spices are wonderful together and segue into the wonderful rose that has shed a few petals and the key balancing notes of sharp carnation and a green jasmine, still on the vine. Radiating through the fragrance at this point are the warm amber, wonderful oakmoss (only in Vintage!), a slightly dirty but very natural musk and a nice plush leather.

That is how the scent's composition reveals itself to me, in short. I am in a full-wearing right now and have been for several hours. I left out some other notes, but wanted to cover the "prickly" accord and how Mace is the actual true note, I believe, that you and Surfacing are finding.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I agree on this description. In fact I have had this in my collection for many years, (hardly ever wear it) and........wait for it, shame on me ~ I never detected any rose in this fragrance !!!! I will have to dig out my bottle and try this again.....I love rose.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found my bottle. Now I get the rose. I think I didn' t before because there's a very dominant ginger note that, (to my nose) drownds the rose. I think it is this strong ginger note that Surfacing and I find "prickly". I love ginger in fragrances, but in this fragrance it is a bit ott.
    Still it is fantastic......thanks for the thread. Now I will start wearing it, (also found a deo stick !!).
    - - - Updated - - -

I would like to share this...it is something I wrote in a thread back in June about Vintage Acteur:

Original Acteur is superb. An absolutely amazing, deep, warm and sensual fragrance with Oakmoss, rich leather, musk and a key note of earthy patchouli with a not-so-clean vetiver in the base. The rose, as put eloquently, is a soliflore...but to add to that - this rose is slightly wilted. A rose that is sitting open, on its last couple of days (not fresh-cut) with a few petals that have fallen off into the fruit bowl on the table. The fruit blends nicely - not overpowering. This stays floral throughout - but yes, animalic, leathery and a key note that I find more pronounced in the base than some as well...amber. Along with the oakmoss (although it is not oakmoss-laden in scent) - it works as a wonderful fixative and extends this scent's life incredibly in original/vintage formulation.

The bottom line - it is one of the absolutely most beautiful rose scents ever created in Vintage formulation and, quite possibly the best ever from the house of Azzaro (I, personally, find it as brilliant as Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme - of which I have Original Vintage bottles in pristine condition).

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 6th October 2014 at 08:08 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

I've been thinking about blind buying Actuer XD Anyone here wanna talk me out of it or into it?

Don't do it MichaelAngelo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I've been thinking about blind buying Actuer XD Anyone here wanna talk me out of it or into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    If you can get it at a good price, then I say do it. Full retail ? I am not sure then. Judging by your tastes, I think you will like it, but not be "wowed" by it. It somewhat reminds me of Krizia Moods Uomo as well.

I actually did a SotD today as well. It went pretty well, but it is not an easy scent to wear. It seems to be getting better with each sampling, however, and that is a good sign. Overall I like it, but there are alot of fragrances I like. This one is ahead of many of them just because it is interesting.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    If you can get it at a good price, then I say do it. Full retail ? I am not sure then. Judging by your tastes, I think you will like it, but not be "wowed" by it. It somewhat reminds me of Krizia Moods Uomo as well.

I actually did a SotD today as well. It went pretty well, but it is not an easy scent to wear. It seems to be getting better with each sampling, however, and that is a good sign. Overall I like it, but there are alot of fragrances I like. This one is ahead of many of them just because it is interesting.
    Thanks for your constructive response! It might be better I try before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hello david -

Glad you found the bottle and the beautiful rose in Acteur! It is, as I've put it before, a deep dark red rose (burgundy) with darkness on the tips of the petals...a couple days past its prime of being a "fresh bloom". The slightly wilted rose has lost a few petals - on the table, falling into the bowl of fresh and dried fruit (which creates the slightly boozy accord).

The "prickly" ginger note you and Surfacing are finding is actually the Mace. Mace oil has the scent of freshly grated nutmeg - and it definitely will give the accord of being "prickly". It, to my nose, fits beautifully as a rich, earthy and slightly sharp spice. It is joined at the end of the top notes (moving into the heart) with the cardamom - brilliant used here.

The spices are wonderful together and segue into the wonderful rose that has shed a few petals and the key balancing note of sharp carnation. Radiating through the fragrance at this point are the warm amber, wonderful oakmoss (only in Vintage!), a slightly dirty but very natural musk and a nice plush leather.

That is how the scent's composition reveals itself to me, in short. I am in a full-wearing right now and have been for several hours. I left out some other notes, but wanted to cover the "prickly" accord and how Mace is the actual true note, I believe, that you and Surfacing are finding.

Cheers.

ericrico

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to share this...it is something I wrote in a thread back in June about Vintage Acteur:

Original Acteur is superb. An absolutely amazing, deep, warm and sensual fragrance with Oakmoss, rich leather, musk and a key note of earthy patchouli with a not-so-clean vetiver in the base. The rose, as put eloquently, is a soliflore...but to add to that - this rose is slightly wilted. A rose that is sitting open, on its last couple of days (not fresh-cut) with a few petals that have fallen off into the fruit bowl on the table. The fruit blends nicely - not overpowering. This stays floral throughout - but yes, animalic, leathery and a key note that I find more pronounced in the base than some as well...amber. Along with the oakmoss (although it is not oakmoss-laden in scent) - it works as a wonderful fixative and extends this scent's life incredibly in original/vintage formulation.

The bottom line - it is one of the absolutely most beautiful rose scents ever created in Vintage formulation and, quite possibly the best ever from the house of Azzaro (I, personally, find it as brilliant as Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme - of which I have Original Vintage bottles in pristine condition).

Cheers,

ericrico
    Thanks once again ericrico for such attention to detail ! I always enjoy your posts and threads.
    It's funny, there are fragrances that I admire and respect, (were they to be discontinued ~ would be sorely missed by me) yet I never ever wear them ! I have to say that Zino is another one of those fragrances. Insensé, Yatagan, Egoisté are some others. They all contain something in their composition that I find very interesting, but also very unwearable.
    I have been searching for years for beautiful natural rose fragrance, (mens or womens). Upon retrying Acteur I still have not found it. The closest I have come is Iquitos and Villoressi Donna.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Got interested of Azzaro Acteur a few days ago, as i saw at Perfumemaster.org it has a 68% similarity to Macassar.
    Whether it's true or not, the scent itself sounds interesting. Ordered a sample of it, that's yet to arrive.
    http://www.perfumemaster.org/Rochas/...Similar-scents
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Any information from anyone on how to identify a vintage bottle of Acteur?

Basenotes Plus

You're very welcome, david!

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, indeed, there are those fragrances that are unique and wonderful...yet, they sit in our collection and don't get used. It is the simple truth. However, we MUST have them.

I wear Zino Davidoff rather frequently and Acteur less - but adore both. It is because of Zino's more macho presence. I wear Acteur as a comfort scent or when I am in more formal attire. The depth of the notes and the rose soliflore present themselves as masculine, but not in a casual way. Serious juice. Glad you retried Acteur - at least now you know, and it might even get more wear.

Iquitos is rather incredible. A rose blooming in a lush garden surrounded by a rain forest. It truly has an outstanding composition that puts the rose front and center, but with tropical jungle aromas entering throughout. One of THE most unique and rich scents I have ever smelled. Lucky to have it. I have not tried Villoresi Donna, but of course the house has an incredible reputation.

I find rose scents to be difficult (except for the woody spicy Zino, ironically its "dirty rose" is for me...very natural on my skin). There is a natural affinity there for me. Others, I have to think about and the occasion & attire must be right.

Our search, it seems, in this passion is never-ending and our tastes change - so there really is no true 'ending'.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks once again ericrico for such attention to detail ! I always enjoy your posts and threads.
    It's funny, there are fragrances that I admire and respect, (were they to be discontinued ~ would be sorely missed by me) yet I never ever wear them ! I have to say that Zino is another one of those fragrances. Insensé, Yatagan, Egoisté are some others. They all contain something in their composition that I find very interesting, but also very unwearable.
    I have been searching for years for beautiful natural rose fragrance, (mens or womens). Upon retrying Acteur I still have not found it. The closest I have come is Iquitos and Villoressi Donna.
    - - - Updated - - -

Hello onethinline -

A couple of simple ways - first, off the font on the box is similar to Times New Roman. On the box and bottle, "90% vol." is printed in between "3.4 FL. OZ." on the left and "100 ml" on the right. Current formulation has different print on the box and no "90% vol." on either the box or bottle.

Also, although I recommend application of Acteur by spray (not splash) for note separation - buying a Splash bottle is a pretty safe course.

Here is a seller I purchased Vintage Splash bottles from (at a very fair price)...notice the details I mention:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTEUR-LORIS-AZZARO-COLOGNE-FOR-MEN-3-4-OZ-SPLASH-NIB-/250707140766?pt=fragrance&hash=item3a5f4f609e

Here is a seller with a Vintage Spray bottle - non-stock photo - reputable and they even list it as http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTEUR-by-Loris-Azzaro-for-Men-3-4-oz-Eau-De-Toilette-Spray-VINTAGE-/251173935216?pt=fragrance&hash=item3a7b221870

I hope this helps...if you or anyone is interested in trying Acteur in its Original and "true" form - Vintage.

Please note that I am not associated with either seller in any way.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Any information from anyone on how to identify a vintage bottle of Acteur?

Good scent and considering that I might be able to get it online cheap as chips, all the reasons for me to consider woning it are there.

Thank you for the tips, ericrico!

Does Acteur have any similarity to Ungaro III as a rose scent ? What about the at PerfumeMaster.org mentioned similarity with Macassar? Is there any? Thanks.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)