Code of Conduct

Default Just curious...?

How long did it take you to go from building a collection to needing to purge/reconsider your collection (sell off some, or limit your purchases/backup bottles, etc.?)

What phase are you in right now and why? Buying up hordes, holding steady, or cleaning house?

Default Re: Just curious...?

Right now I'm building my collection! I started sniffing and ordering samples and decants in late May, and until this month I didn't have any bottles, just many samples and a few decants. Then... I started buying bottles, and I bought more in two weeks than I expected to buy by the end of 2011! I tell myself “Oh but I just have to get *these few bottles* to have a decent collection, then I'll slow down!” Although I know very well it's just denial...

I can't bear to let most things go completely. I like to keep a little of everything for reference. But with everything coming in such huge bottles things get out of control easily. I would say 2 years between starting and thinking 'better slow down'.

It's too much effort to purge. What I would really prefer is someone local to split or decant with. I don't have any friends interested in fragrance unfortunately. With all the problems shipping to/from Canada it is a huge hassle. Plus, aside from a small core of my collection it is mostly cheapies and designer stuff so nobody would want to anyway.

It is probably lucky in some ways that I live in Canada, the postage is so outrageous to get things shipped here that I can never really buy much. Even strawberry net said they got the package returned to them twice so I can't even order from there!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hmm, how long...well, I started very long ago, but most of the fragrances in my wardrobe were bought within the past 7 years. And I did a bit of selling of unwanted bottles this year.

I'm mostly in a holding pattern now-- enjoying what I already own-- but I do have my eye on a few upcoming releases to smell and maybe buy if they seem right for me, and I may sell a few more, so it's not 100% holding steady.

Good question.

I am at the stage where I carefully select what to add to my collection. Exactly one year ago I had my usual closet of approx 4 to 6 perfumes that I would use up then replenish. Since then I have added about 100 perfumes.

I have about 10 regrets. i.e perfumes that are not seeing usage because I feel differently towards them now than I did at purchase. I would have gotten Sycomore instead of Encre Noire for example and no Creeds and maybe 1 bottle of 250ml Purple Patchouli instead of the 2 I have right now. Same goes for Tuscan Leather.

for swap/sale:

I have only been in and still am, in the collecting stage: 1164 to date, large, 99.9% full bottles.

Blog Entries

Having been a lover of fragrance all my life, l only ever had 4-5 bottles on the go at any one time, until l discovered basenotes back in 2008. My collection slowly built up to around 20 bottles, but soon after becoming a member last year, that number more than doubled. l have one or two that l regret buying, & have thought about getting rid of them, but l probably won't get around to it for a while yet. l have a few that are close to being used up, so l don't feel bad about buying more, but for most of this year l've only bought an average of one bottle per month, & have been enjoying what l have. l'm now on another sampling kick though, so there may well be a few more additions soon, finances permitting! l usually buy the smallest sizes available, because l want to be able to use them up, & l know there will always be new loves to replace them!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

2 years, from 1 to 110. Now, I look at about 20 - 30 of them and know that I don't love them. I'm just starting to purge, but that will be a slow process as I need to really evaluate those that may go a bit more.

I'll still buy, but it has drastically slowed down. I actually am getting a kick out of sampling, and very often find that scratches the itch fairly well. But if I come across something that I love, no LOVE, then I would probably buy it.

Blog Entries

Still stuck on samples and decants. I only own one bottle and it is a used one from eBay. I simply cannot afford to buy whole bottles. Times are tough. But, I do enjoy my samples until they run out then...I try and find a 10 ml or 20 ml decant.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez