Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which Vanilla Fragrance do you like better?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spiritueuse Double Vanille - Guerlain

38 80.85%
  • Un Bois Vanille - Serge Lutens

9 19.15%

Default Which vanilla do you prefer: Guerlain - Spirtueuse Double Vanille or Serge Lutens - Un Bois Vanille?

Which of the two vanilla fragrances do you like better?
    I Prefer Spiritueuse Double Vanille over Un Bois Vanille.

Default Re: Which vanilla do you prefer: Guerlain - Spirtueuse Double Vanille or Serge Lutens - Un Bois Vani

I voted for SDV. I love both these houses. Unfortunately, there's something in Un Bois Vanille that just doesn't appeal to me.

Default Re: Which vanilla do you prefer: Guerlain - Spirtueuse Double Vanille or Serge Lutens - Un Bois Vani

SDV by far! UBV is cloying on my skin.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille

SDV....Serge Lutens Vanilla requires you to be in precisely the right mood. SDV is more versatile.

Guerlain Vanille. I find Serge Vanille's too simple and predictable.

None of them,

Mona di Orio - Vanille - Les nombres D'or, beautiful, spiced, and with a final touch of Rum

Or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille - Gourmad, rich and sexy

Well if I could secure a bottle of THAT with 'all Ms. Mona's love', then my SDV answer may change.nudgenudge

I'm not a personal fan of the Lutens, but Guerlain's is AWFUL, so I picked UBV.

Sur la Plage

If I had to choose, then it would be Un Bois Vanille - mainly because I found SDV to be quite a major disappointment.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I voted for SDV. I love both these houses. Unfortunately, there's something in Un Bois Vanille that just doesn't appeal to me.
    I don't enjoy the wood notes in Un Bois Vanille, it really drags down the fragrance IMO.

Basenotes Institution

For me, the Guerlain is better.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I prefer SDV's booziness.

Neither appeal to me, I'm sorry to say.

I'd say SDV is smoother and more restraint, while UBV is a sweet vanilla powerhouse. For this reason, I looooove UBV to sniff, but to wear, I prefer SDV.

The Lutens is the friendliest of the two, I have a bottle and dig it out occasionally. SDV is a bit heavy and relentless for me, I'm afraid, a problem I also have with the Tom Ford TV once the tobacco opening has dispersed. When it comes to vanilla I prefer Shalimar Ode a la Vanille & Vanille Galante, they both have a lightness to them - this also might be partly because they don't rely on synthetic vanillin.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 18th August 2011 at 04:43 PM.

of the two SDV. Lartisan's Vanille smells much better than UbV.

Two heavy hitters, neither are my choice for vanilla fragrances and IMHO would probably work better as candles. I like and own Havana Vanille by L'Artisan as well as Jacques Cavallier's excellent Vanille Noire for Yves Rocher. Their vanilla notes are much more transparent, which prevents them from becoming cloying.

Montale vanille absolut is better then both! Reminds me of winter and Xmas time.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    Montale vanille absolut is better then both! Reminds me of winter and Xmas time.
    Too bad Montale is not sold in the US, i really want to try their vanilla fragrances.

Vanille absolut is just a desserty plain vanilla. Boise vanilla is like Tom ford Arabian wood. Like a vanilla woody weird citrus. Very Arabian smelling. Not much vanilla except to smooth out the citrus and wood combo. The chype vanilla is a sweet floral wood fruity.
    You are in Cali. Luckyscent has montale.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    Vanille absolut is just a desserty plain vanilla. Boise vanilla is like Tom ford Arabian wood. Like a vanilla woody weird citrus. Very Arabian smelling. Not much vanilla except to smooth out the citrus and wood combo. The chype vanilla is a sweet floral wood fruity.
    You are in Cali. Luckyscent has montale.

I agree with this completely, chypre vanille compares better to un bois vanille....just as SDV compares favorably to Vanille Absolut....the latter just smells like a cookie.

I still favor Tobacco Vanille, as my choice for Best Vanilla scent.
    Photo shoot fresh, looking like wealth
    Iím bout to call the paparazzi on myself!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    None of them,

Mona di Orio - Vanille - Les nombres D'or, beautiful, spiced, and with a final touch of Rum

Or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille - Gourmad, rich and sexy

Dude!!! I just blind bought A Taste of Heaven on the strength that your top 10 is 2 bottles off from mind....lol
    too funny thanks for the unintended recommendation!!
    Photo shoot fresh, looking like wealth
    Iím bout to call the paparazzi on myself!!!

SDV, no contest.

SDV but only on my GF
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Too bad Montale is not sold in the US, i really want to try their vanilla fragrances.
    What? Did this happens since yesterday?

Montale was never sold in retails in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Montale was never sold in retails in the US.
    Ahh. Retail. I gotcha.

I love them both but SDV wins by a small margin. I wonder if I'm biased because I paid so much more for SDV....

from an overall enjoyement level - SDV
    which I would be more likely to buy (although not that likely to be honest) Serge Lutens

While I do like SDV, I think it's ridiciculously overpriced

I like SDV way more than Un Bois Vanille, but both get a thumbs up. I just think SDV is the definitive vanilla scent.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Must go for Serge Lutens as I get a distinct mint smell in sdv.....weird.....but my nose does not like mint in fragrance that I have on my body......strangely I do not see mint listed in sdv, but cannot argue with my nose as it wins every time..!!

Banned

Of the two mentioned, Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain.