Code of Conduct

Default Matching perfume to personality: A first-timer's question

Dear Basenotes Community

I am a college student very recently introduced to the world of cologne. I visit this site now very regularly and I thought you good folks could help me out with choosing cologne. I previously owned a bottle of CK be, which I enjoyed, but was disappointed by its lasting power even when I put it on clothing. I also felt it was time to move past the simple freshness feel it had to it. I recently tried out gaultier 2, which I enjoyed at first but later couldn't endure the onslaught of sweet. I also checked out Hugo by Hugo Boss and Diesel Only the Brave, and I found the shower-fresh smell envigorating but really lacking a bite I was looking for. I find myself seeking a scent that leaves a memorable but not overpowering impression, and a more 'masculine' touch that seemed lacking in the above buys. Ones remaining on my list were Lacoste Elegance and the third Man by Caron. Including these last two, what do you find has a more masculine and suggestive tone, an attention-drawing signature? Keep in mind I am very young and somewhat shy so I fear it may come on too strong with my peers, and on the other hand I have dry skin and live in very dry, mountainous weather so strength and longevity will certainly get tested. It's a balance question and I need to nail it!

Many Thanks! Subsequent questions will be much shorter

Default Re: Matching perfume to personality: A first-timer's question

Hi there!

This is a difficult question because, to a large extent, it can only be answered by you. Speaking for myself, I started (as you have) by considering the scents that I've enjoyed in the past, and then asked myself why I liked them. Then I tried to do a lot of reading on here about the "notes" that they contained. Pretty soon, I was ordering samples of certain ones from theperfumedcourt.com (which can be expensive...maybe too much so, given your age).

In any case, after doing a lot of smelling, you begin to get a feel for WHAT YOU WANT FRAGRANCE TO SAY ABOUT YOU. WHAT IMPRESSION YOU ARE TRYING TO LEAVE. In my case, I want to be a little provacative. I always tend toward the "stench" of Musc Ravageur or Muscs Koublai Khan. Even though I am a rather traditional, bow-tie wearing guy, my alter ego is a sexual beast who is confident and comfortable in every situation. Rather, this is what I WANT to be, and thus, to a great extent, who I am.

I have tried virtually all of the Bvlgari scents. Every one of them smells so damn good! But for me, that's the problem. I want fragrance to say about me what I dare not say about myself: that...deep down...I am interesting, daring, sexy, and off-beat.

So....I say all that to say, the whole thing is a major journey in self-discovery where fragrance is concerned. Good luck!

Last edited by lionheart; 2nd September 2011 at 06:23 AM.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Basenotes Plus

Welcome ammanuel81

I echo lionhearts advice to sample as much as possible. I also suggest you disclose the country you are in, at least, in your member profile and add in what you have sampled in your wardrobe. It helps other members to make suggestions.

if you are concerned about your scent being too strong for your peers, try spraying under your shiirt to keep the sillage down. You will be able to enjoy it but the whole room will not smell you.

Above all, have fun here and certainly keep posting your impressions as you go along....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

thank you both for these great responses. I move back and forth from Ethiopia to the States but I still live in Ethiopia. In any case I really appreciate that perspective that perfume can infuse daring into one's self-expression. Thanks a lot!

I'd go with Third Man by Caron

Sample, sample, sample....

Sample everything and wear what you like.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ammanuel81 View Post
    thank you both for these great responses. I move back and forth from Ethiopia to the States but I still live in Ethiopia. In any case I really appreciate that perspective that perfume can infuse daring into one's self-expression. Thanks a lot!
    When you are in Boston- you must frequently visit the Copley Square shopping mall that has Neiman Marcus, (where the sales people are nice and generous with samples), Barney's, and Saks and try everything. And I mean everything
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

Luca Turin (q.v.) once said that a man should not wear a fragrance that has had more experience than he has. By "experience" I think he meant a fragrance that is complex, sophisticated and challenging to the nose. Therefore, younger men should seek out fragrances that are not these things. Which still leaves a thousand or so to choose from! But at least it narrows down the field in an area that is deemed important.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Maybe try some of Kiehl's Pour Homme oil. They also make a scented lotion that goes with it. It's very masculine, but polite, and tends to last a good long while. Because longevity may be an issue between the climate and having dry skin, I would definitely suggest an oil-based perfume or a good-quality eau de parfum.

Might Amouage be an option?

Try

1 Million
    Tous Man Sport
    Some hugo boss frags

hello, folks!

Me again, with a little more experience under my belt. I really took the advice about complex fragrances to heart, and there is a large range of scents out there! My evening perfume choices are now bvlgari homme soir and gucci pour homme II. I love both and people have especially taken to the former, I think the light tea scent really matched well with me. More tricky has been picking cologne for daytime wear, because I still wanted a distinctive touch and to smell fresh. I really enjoyed Lacoste Red, it carried an incredible heat to it, like a smouldering honey-like sweetness. I frankly can't see myself carrying that scent though, didn't feel right. I find that citrus and sweet woody notes really do the trick though, so I am looking for a great fresh feel and an interesting flavor to the perfume. On my short-list right now are Lacoste Essential and Guerlain Homme L'eau. I figure with these simple touches, a nice sophisticated cologne like Third Man would become a very good centerpiece I can use at any time or day and in all occasions. Any suggestions?

Cartier Declaration -it was designed by Jean-Claude Ellena and is a nice tea/cardamom/pepper/citrus scent.JCE also did the Bulgari eau Verte (which was Bulgari's first foray intofragrance I believe-and it seems to have set the tone for the house to some extent).Also try some of the Hermes line .
    Fragrance Omnivore

I think Bvlgari Man would make a great daytime pairing to Bvlgari PH Soir - it's an interesting balance of fresh, woody, gourmand (a wonderful honey note) and most of all, it is refined (much like Soir, and all Bvlgari scents, in that regard).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

so it's more or less come down to a choice among the following - Bvlgari Man vs Caron Third Man, and Eau des Baux vs A*Men : the last one may be a weird match-up but I want a powerful gourmand for going out, clubbing the likes, eau des baux sounds (and smells) like a winner, but I can't helping fearing it is a little too mature... I have some aversion to smelling like a much older man

You won't smell like an older man, whatever you choose - I'm not convinced fragrances have an age any more than I'm convinced they have a gender - but it is important that you feel comfortable with what you are wearing.

More years ago than I care to count my mother advised me to 'dress for the job you want, not the job you have' (not original on her part but sound advice just the same) and I think the same may be applied to scent: I think that's what you're doing in fact.

Finally a specific suggestion: Terre d'Hermes another Jean Claude Ellena creation and one of the masterpieces of the perfumery world in many people's opinion. Smells good on almost anyone and speaks of sophistication in a muted voice.

Oh and welcome to Basenotes!
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.