Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a Perfume to rotate with Body Kouros (Fall/Winter) [College]

Hi,

I'm currently in college and I just ordered Body Kouros off Amazon.

However, I was looking for another cologne to rotate (for the classroom) with Body Kouros, just to keep it "exciting". I've been testing out a lot of perfumes for the past 1-2months and can't really find a perfume I really enjoy.

The problem is that I want a perfume that is different from Body Kouros yet it seems that I only like fragrances in its genre (Gourmand? sorry I'm new to this fragrance business ).

To help you guys give me suggestions (designer bottles only), I'll include a list of fragrances I've tested/owned (and i'll include comments). I'm really looking for something that's different enough from Body Kouros to be worth the purchase! Thank You!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liked (Already Tested)

Burberry London - definitely love the top/middle notes, but there's just something about the drydown that I don't like. I also find it too strong (not projection) of a smell and it doesn't really fit my personality. Really tried to love this one.
    John Varvatos - Absolutely love this one. However, it has poor projection and I find it too similar to Body Kouros to be worth the purchase
    Azzaro Chrome - Liked the smell.
    Dior Fahrenheit - I like its uniqueness but definitely too strong for the classroom
    D&G PH - Love the soothing smell. Although it has spotty longevity and projection on me. Definitely, one of the favorites from what I've sampled.
    Body Kouros - Love the soothing/relaxing smell.
    Diesel Fuel for Life - A bit too fruity but overall a nice smell. I prefer D&G PH though.
    Versace Dreamer - Definitely like the smell but it's a bit too strong.

It seems like I prefer smells that are calming/relaxing and that aren't too cloying or "in your face". What I'm most likely looking for is a scent that exudes comfort and that basically counter balances the stress that might come from school.
    Gourmands is probably the genre I like the most but the ones I like all smell similar to my newbie nose.

Disliked (Already Tested)

A*Men
    Rochas Man
    Gucci PH II
    Le Male - I think the lavender dissuaded me from liking this one but then again I'm new so it really could've been anything else :P
    YSL M7
    YSL Opium
    D&G Light Blue
    D&G The One

Most of these are just too strong for the purpose I'm looking to accomplish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long post and Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Default Re: Looking for a Perfume to rotate with Body Kouros (Fall/Winter) [College]

I really don't find Body Kouros subtle but rather more in your face than everything on your list except of A*Men, Le Male, Opium and Fahrenheit.

Anyway, it is not my favourite but you may like Hugo Boss - Boss no.6 (bottled)
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Default Re: Looking for a Perfume to rotate with Body Kouros (Fall/Winter) [College]

Perhaps Burberry London might agree with you.

No, I think giving you advice here is a bad idea. The reason is that you are wearing a powerful "party frag" in an inappropriate way, IMO. You want something similar but you don't like similar ones. Toned down ones that are similar, which are more appropriate for school or office work, you find too weak. Any advice I could give in this situation is no better than a "coin flip," AFAICT, so I think you should make your own decision. That way, you won't feel you were misled. I think you should do more sampling before you buy more bottles, unless they are really cheap or you are rich.

Yeah. Body Kouros is better suited for the parties and clubs, although I suppose one spray to the solar plexus won't be too much for class. Classrooms are more subtle and cleaner scent environments. People are forced to be near you and it would be impolite to let your fragrance waft around.

Test out Prada Infusion d'Homme and Bvlgari Pour homme
    Last edited by adonis; 17th August 2011 at 07:39 AM.

Bvlgari Black - made by the same perfumer, but a much better fragrance, more exotic, has some sweetness but not the bright cotton candy radiance of Body Kouros. A far more interesting fragrance that also smells better.
    Last edited by pluran; 17th August 2011 at 09:26 AM.

Chanel Bleu

Would like to hear the reactions of your classmates after you wear it to class a few times. IMHO Body Kouros makes the guy wearing it look like he's trying too hard. It's a club or date scent. You could check out Katie Puckrik's new fragrance selection app for some ideas that may appeal to you at www.fumefinder.com/m

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    No, I think giving you advice here is a bad idea. The reason is that you are wearing a powerful "party frag" in an inappropriate way, IMO. You want something similar but you don't like similar ones. Toned down ones that are similar, which are more appropriate for school or office work, you find too weak.
    I wasn't really trying to find a fragrance similar to BK that would be appropriate for school. IMO, BK is appropriate for class if applied correctly. Also, I never said I disliked similar ones, I just said that they were too similar to be worth purchasing. The only similarity I'm looking for is the soothing effect I get from BK. The list was just some sort of reference point to help with the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Any advice I could give in this situation is no better than a "coin flip," AFAICT, so I think you should make your own decision. That way, you won't feel you were misled. I think you should do more sampling before you buy more bottles, unless they are really cheap or you are rich.
    I won't feel "misled" or anything, I'm just looking for suggestions of other perfumes that might fall into the narrow category of scents I like. I mean I can definitely spend countless hours testing out all the perfumes out there and choosing the right one but that would take too much time . My sole purpose for starting this thread was simply to get a short list of perfumes I might enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Would like to hear the reactions of your classmates after you wear it to class a few times. IMHO Body Kouros makes the guy wearing it look like he's trying too hard. It's a club or date scent. You could check out Katie Puckrik's new fragrance selection app for some ideas that may appeal to you at www.fumefinder.com/m
    Wow, that's a nice website! Thanks!

+1 Boss Bottled. Creamy and soothing.

La Nuit de Lhomme

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Bvlgari Black - made by the same perfumer, but a much better fragrance, more exotic, has some sweetness but not the bright cotton candy radiance of Body Kouros. A far more interesting fragrance that also smells better.
    + 1
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense.

Lolita Lempicka (au masculine), perhaps.

chanel allure homme
    ysl l'homme
    burberry brit
    boss bottled

I would check out Burberry Brit and 212 Sexy. Both have that powdery/spicy/sweet vibe like Body Kouros. Also, if you are open to florals, give Fahrenheit 32 a try. It's nothing like original Fahrenheit, and is very soothing. (it's orange blossom that dries down to vetiver & vanilla. Kinda like a more floral and less sweet Le Male). Also, you might try Perry Ellis 360 White. It's a clone of Le Male, but isn't quite as sweet or minty.

+1 London
    Yes I'm 15, yes I'm Young, Yes i Got Money, and Yes I'm damn proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoos View Post
    I wasn't really trying to find a fragrance similar to BK that would be appropriate for school. IMO, BK is appropriate for class if applied correctly. Also, I never said I disliked similar ones, I just said that they were too similar to be worth purchasing. The only similarity I'm looking for is the soothing effect I get from BK. The list was just some sort of reference point to help with the suggestions.

I won't feel "misled" or anything, I'm just looking for suggestions of other perfumes that might fall into the narrow category of scents I like. I mean I can definitely spend countless hours testing out all the perfumes out there and choosing the right one but that would take too much time . My sole purpose for starting this thread was simply to get a short list of perfumes I might enjoy.
    My advice is to read the reviews of some of the frags mentioned here and get samples of the ones you think you might like. I have a feeling you are responding to one note in BK and will want it in any other frag that you will consider buying. That's been my experience of the last 4 years.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm definitely going to be testing out your suggestions (especially Bvlgari Black).

Allure homme sport
    Bleu de Chanel
    Dior Homme
    Pure Malt and Havane
    Avon Tomorrow men
    A&F Fierce
    AdP Colonia Essenza

Another idea is Cuba Gold. Don't discount it because it's a "super cheapo" !

+1 for Bvlgari Black. Please report back with your thoughts once you test some of these out.

A few Cartiers:

Must Pour Homme
    Essence de Must Pour Homme
    Roadster

Escada Magnetism

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    +1 for Bvlgari Black. Please report back with your thoughts once you test some of these out.
    Definitely! I'm going to test out BB and Boss Bottled today.

prada man, not a gourmand but i think u'll like it. u may also try ysl la nuit, armani diamonds, d&g the one,these should fit ur age and ur taste..
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

Just sampled Boss Bottled. Similar to Lacoste Red IMO. It seems like Boss Bottled is a weaker and creamier version of Lacoste Red.

I definitely like the smell but I don't find it special enough to be worth buying (especially because I already own Lacoste Red).
    I might purchase this later just because I find it better than Lacoste Red but for now it's not really what I'm looking for.

Sell the Body Kouros and buy Bvlgari Black and Terre d'Hermes. Not that it's a bad fragrance, but I prefer Body Kouros as a room spray. It makes an excellent room spray.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th August 2011 at 09:03 PM.

The most soothing fragrance I own is Rive Gauche pour Homme.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Tommy Bahama orig would fit that bill and could be had for twenty bucks at Marshalls or TJ Maxx...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Quote Originally Posted by Aquil View Post
    Tommy Bahama orig would fit that bill and could be had for twenty bucks at Marshalls or TJ Maxx...
    I live in Canada, so unfortunately there aren't any Marshalls or TJ Maxx...

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Yeah. Body Kouros is better suited for the parties and clubs, although I suppose one spray to the solar plexus won't be too much for class. Classrooms are more subtle and cleaner scent environments. People are forced to be near you and it would be impolite to let your fragrance waft around.

Test out Prada Infusion d'Homme and Bvlgari Pour homme
    Just tested Infusion d'Homme ---- Clean soapy smell but wow so pungent almost gave me a headache . I like the clean, soapy smooth scents but this one is just way too strong.