Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Histoires de Parfums: PETROLEUM, ROSAM, AMBRAREM

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Edit...fums-2461.html

HdP is launching a Vegetable, Animal, Mineral themed trio.

AMBRAREM's amber accord might be interesting, especially if the top notes really are green pepper as the ad copy says. ROSAM sounds forgettable: rose, oud; been there, done that. But, PETROLEUM sounds really exciting - I'm one of those folks who think gasoline smells just great, and I'd absolutely love to smell a faithful recreation.

Your thoughts? Anyone sampled these?

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums: PETROLEUM, ROSAM, AMBRAREM

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Ooooh! Ambrarem and Petroleum sound divine... I hope they don't price them out of my market :S
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

I dunno about petroleum, but I would like to try Ambareum for sure. Rosa and oud really has been done way too many times already, I don't see what HDP can do to make this combo stand out from so many other frags.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    PETROLEUM sounds really exciting - I'm one of those folks who think gasoline smells just great, and I'd absolutely love to smell a faithful recreation.
    Count me in!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by anotherlemontree View Post
    Ooooh! Ambrarem and Petroleum sound divine... I hope they don't price them out of my market :S
    Me too! Though, the half-bottle size looks cute; I just hope it's not too overpriced.

Basenotes Institution

Oooh, very nice. Petroleum sounds the most interesting. Ghislain's glasses are intriguing too.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Ghislain's glasses are intriguing too.
    I know! I can't decide if they're very large or if he's very small.

Basenotes Institution

It's the black rims ! The glasses are like saucers .
    Sorry - off topic.
    If those are half bottles - we'd have to get two to make them into one whole bottle !
    The half bottles are cute but also a liitle odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    If those are half bottles - we'd have to get two to make them into one whole bottle !
    Maybe if more of the line is made in those bottles there will be an option to glue two together! All one's favorite HdP goodness in one place.

Basenotes Institution

Now there's an idea Suga !

Petroleum sounds very interesting. If it's anything like the smell of the vapour fumes that used to drift across from the runway on the winter air from the old DC3s and Friendships just before take-off at Wellington Airport in the late 60s (my eternal 'scent of travel to faraway places' olfactory memory) then I'm in for a gallon or so. If not I won't take it personally - I like HdP, they seem to do the "time and place" thing quite nicely

I look forward to trying all of these but in particular the Petroleum sounds intriguing. I think the smell of tar, and gasoline type products could be used much more in fragrances. I really love how this petroleum scent is used to offset tuberose in Crimenelle and Santa Maria Novella has used a petroleum opening for a medicinal nutmeg scent in Marsciella to great affect. Also SMN's Nostalgia has the petroleum and well oiled steel scent going pretty well. What else has a petroleum scent - any others out there?

Onda EDP hints at petrol fumes that have leaked thru and been absorbed into the suede backseat of an already quite old 1960s Austin (don't ask) and yes, it's great. But that's just me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I look forward to trying all of these but in particular the Petroleum sounds intriguing. I think the smell of tar, and gasoline type products could be used much more in fragrances. I really love how this petroleum scent is used to offset tuberose in Crimenelle and Santa Maria Novella has used a petroleum opening for a medicinal nutmeg scent in Marsciella to great affect. Also SMN's Nostalgia has the petroleum and well oiled steel scent going pretty well. What else has a petroleum scent - any others out there?
    CdG Garage - I love that one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

CdG Tea Leaves also has some tar/gasoline note (the tea of the name is definitely an undrinkable Lapsang Souchong).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Count me in!
    me 2, this way we can smell gas all day and not go brain dead

I am interested in trying all of these.

Petroleum...hmmm...

1. Three bottles -- I wonder if these represent "Regular", "Mid-Grade" and "High-Octane"?
    2. Does wearing one mean that you'll get picked up by a Mercedes?
    3. I knew the price at the pump was climbing, but I never thought I'd see the day when I'd think of it as fine-fragrance.
    4. Surprised that Exxon didn't think of this one first!
    5. Vegetable, animal, mineral...oh, I get it, we're playing 20 Questions!
    6. If I were ever in a pinch, I'd pour this in the tank. It'd be the most expensive 2 blocks I'd ever driven.

Sorry...I honestly do understand using different materials in the making of fragrance, and this is certainly a creative notion. I just don't know that I'd genuinely want to walk into the office smelling like I just doused myself in petrol, or that I shouldn't join my colleagues in the smoker's area for fear one would think lighting a match too close would set them ablaze. I would like to sample the outcome if for nothing else than to see their interpretation into a fragrance. it's intriguing, to say the least.
    Last edited by suburbanites; 22nd August 2011 at 04:21 PM.

Exclamation Re: Histoires de Parfums: PETROLEUM, ROSAM, AMBRAREM

I smelled them at Elements recently-
    And they were all wonderful.
    Especially the Ambrarem and Petroleum.

Petroleum is actually rather sweet, and has a great, weird cucumber-y nuance !

And as regards Gerald : His glasses are big, and so is he ;-0

These should have been out for several months now. Anyone else tried them?

Dependent

No discussion of petroleum accords would be complete without the classic Dior Fahrenheit, ugly bottle notwithstanding. Its honeysuckle is too sweet for me but you can't deny the originality and appeal of violet leaf + motor oil.

Not out in Dubai yet

Dying to try petroleum. Cacio, carry on. Nothing to comment about LOOOOOL.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    No discussion of petroleum accords would be complete without the classic Dior Fahrenheit, ugly bottle notwithstanding. Its honeysuckle is too sweet for me but you can't deny the originality and appeal of violet leaf + motor oil.
    Try Nostalgia.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Not out in Dubai yet

Dying to try petroleum.
    Been looking for these Stateside but haven't seen them yet.

I spoke to the Histoires De Perfumes representative for the italian territory and said it was supposed to be launched late november...but I still can't see it anywhere...

anyway I tried it...here's the review I made for Aromi's blog....

Petroleum is pretty bizarre indeed being entirely built and conceived on juxtapositions. Resinous and intense but at the same time fresh and "ozonic", deep and obscure but surrounded by aldehydic notes, dark and animalic yet "clear" and somehow light. All the elements are handled in an almost "unseen" way. The oud/rose combo is nowhere similimar or somehow close to all of the previous interpretations of the accord, they're amphasized in their woody freshness avoiding the burnt-sugar and medicinal effect. Rose is detectable but masterfully blended with the rest. Deepness is provided by a consistent dose of resinous notes while civet juxtaposed to aldehydes and ozonic hints gives birth to a destabilizing and pleasantly dissonant accord during the musky/ambery drydown. The base. This is the real point of strenght of Petroleum.

Wearable? I don't know yet I will have to test it a few more times before coming with my (very personal) final virdict but, so far, Petroleum is a true candidate to become one of the most interesting and intriguing compositions of this fall. Original without being too odd.
    Last edited by alfarom; 30th November 2011 at 01:15 PM.

That's a fab review, thanks alfarom. Is there any fragrances that are similar in smell or feel that you can think of?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Try Nostalgia.
    Thanks but I can't stand leather (birch tar) which it sounds like that is made of. Appreciate the tip though. (Fahrenheit doesn't have that type of leather thank goodness! I even started a thread asking if anyone knew of a frag that is Fahrenheit without the sweet florals, but the only recommendation that sounded plausible was Missoni Olympios. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/286...he-Honeysuckle)

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    That's a fab review, thanks alfarom. Is there any fragrances that are similar in smell or feel that you can think of?
    There surely will be some but right now I honestly can't think of any. But if you expect a gasoline note as the one in Nostalgia or Fahrenheit, then froget it. Petroleum is much more mineral/animalic...

BTW, I just had an email from HDP Italy and they said the Editions Rare (Petroleum, Rosam, Ambrarem) are now in stores over here...

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Thanks but I can't stand leather (birch tar) which it sounds like that is made of. Appreciate the tip though. (Fahrenheit doesn't have that type of leather thank goodness! I even started a thread asking if anyone knew of a frag that is Fahrenheit without the sweet florals, but the only recommendation that sounded plausible was Missoni Olympios. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/286...he-Honeysuckle)
    Thats why I said try Nostalgia. There's no birch tar.
    It very much resembles Fahrenheit.

for swap/sale:

Now available at Henri Bendel in NYC as of yesterday.

Just bought myself a full bottle of Petroleum in Rome.

Review it quick!!!!!!

wear it in the most splendid of healths.

for swap/sale:

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Ooh plz review soon
    Anyone know if these will be available online?

Have you had a chance to give this a full wearing yet?

Yes hednic and I confirm everything I've written in post #26. I treid both a lighter application and a more consistent one and in both cases the fragrance had a nice projection but it never became overwhelming or claustrophobic. It has a remarkable presence but, fortunately, is not overpowering as I expected. Bold but well balanced.

Lately I've noticed a mineral quality that adds even more complexity. Surely a winner for me and among the best releases of the year but I believe this is going to be a polarizing fragrance because of its ozonic undertones which, together with aldehydes, create a bizarre juxtaposition with the rest. Paradoxically there's no challenging power coming from the supposed petrol note (which is definitely more mineral/natural smelling than the gasoline-like accord of, let's say, Fahrenheit, Nostalgia or even Knize Ten). The ozonic aspect, instead, adds a slightly weird and destabilizing nuance that may result off-putting to someone. IMO it perfectly blends with the rest adding a compelling, sort of off-centre, aspect.

Funny observation: I got a lot of positive comments the two times I wore Petroleum. Nothing that really matters to me but I found them funny as they were completely unexpected.

I spoke to the Histoires De Perfumes representative for the italian territory and said it was supposed to be launched late november...but I still can't see it anywhere...

anyway I tried it...here's the review I made for Aromi's blog....

Petroleum is pretty bizarre indeed being entirely built and conceived on juxtapositions. Resinous and intense but at the same time fresh and "ozonic", deep and obscure but surrounded by aldehydic notes, dark and animalic yet "clear" and somehow light. All the elements are handled in an almost "unseen" way. The oud/rose combo is nowhere similimar or somehow close to all of the previous interpretations of the accord, they're amphasized in their woody freshness avoiding the burnt-sugar and medicinal effect. Rose is detectable but masterfully blended with the rest. Deepness is provided by a consistent dose of resinous notes while civet juxtaposed to aldehydes and ozonic hints gives birth to a destabilizing and pleasantly dissonant accord during the musky/ambery drydown. The base. This is the real point of strenght of Petroleum.

Wearable? I don't know yet I will have to test it a few more times before coming with my (very personal) final virdict but, so far, Petroleum is a true candidate to become one of the most interesting and intriguing compositions of this fall. Original without being too odd.
    I don't have alot to add to alfarom's review. The juxtapositions makes Petroleum just plain fun to wear. The quality of ingredients are superb. There's so much going on it takes a few wearings to get a handle on it. Longevity is awesome with an excellent sillage. Gérald Ghislain is at the top of his game. The man is a "nose" extraordinaire. So happy I bought a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    The juxtapositions makes Petroleum just plain fun to wear. The quality of ingredients are superb. There's so much going on it takes a few wearings to get a handle on it. Longevity is awesome with an excellent sillage. Gérald Ghislain is at the top of his game. The man is a "nose" extraordinaire. So happy I bought a bottle.
    Strong endorsement. I might just have to rethink not buying this.

Glad you liked it Thebeck!

Sur la Plage

These are now available at Aedes: https://aedes.com/Edition-Rare--Ptroleum_p_1327.html
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bah I want international delivery!

For that price, I'd rather dump gasoline on me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Bah I want international delivery!
    How about Beautyhabit? http://www.beautyhabit.com/histoires...are.html#10391

petruccijc

update: BH want $150 for delivery!
    Last edited by laph; 1st January 2012 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I'm glad that Aedes finally added HdB to their line-up.

Sur la Plage

Any reviews/comments on Ambrarem or Rosam?

I found Ambrarem to smell a bit like shoe polish. Not a big fan of these three, yet.

all 3 are $8.75 for 1 ML @ theperfumedcourt...better be darn good stuff

I just got samples of all three at Aedes today. Rosam reminds me a lot of Tauer's Une Rose Chyprée. A bit softer perhaps.A little aldehydic for my taste.

I'm actually fidning Ambrarem to be the most intriguing. I normally find amber scents kind of boring, but this one has an animalic backbone and--is that an ashtray I smell? It's blended nicely, and continues to interest me. Only drawback so far is, after one hour, the really angular notes are fading.

Petroleum I am finding to be nothing at all like gasoline/motor oil. The whole thing is structured around a synthetic oud that, unfortunately to me, has an overly sweet molasses and burnt rubber smell. The juxtapositions however are fascinating. I have never smelled a marine oud perfume before, and I have to give it some credit for this amazing contrast.

Never sampled them, but seriously considering to do so

I've been testing Petroleum for the first time this evening. It's excellent.

To put it short, it is fresh leathery oud. A bit like Demeter's Thunderstorm was mixed with Montale's Oud Cuir d'Arabie, although I admit this is very flimsy description. I will learn more of it in the next few days.

But I can say it's definitely the best and most interesting take on oud in the last couple of years, along with Leather Oud by Dior.
    Petroleum is unique because of the ozone/oud combination, it's absolutely wearable, quite much fun, and not that abstract, strange or challenging as one may think. Actually it's amazingly comfortable and familiar.

Like it or not, the slight connection to actual petroleum is completely engaged to that chemichal vibe of synthetic oud.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    I've been testing Petroleum for the first time this evening. It's excellent.
    Glad you liked it PM To me this is surely among the best fragrances of 2011...if you're interested, here's my thread.

So is Ambrarem already one of the best ambers out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Don't know if it is one of the best, but recently tried it and it smells real nice.

Personally I find it to be one of the best iteration of the oud/amber combo, but when it comes to straight forward ambers I stuck with the more classic Ambre Precieux or Ambra Mediterranea. That being said Ambrarem is surely outstanding...

So blue amber, ambre 114, ambre precieux, ambre russe, amber absolute, l'ombre fauvre, ambra mediterranea > ambrarem?

So blue amber, ambre 114, ambre precieux, ambre russe, amber absolute, l'ombre fauvre, ambra mediterranea > ambrarem?
    You forgot Ambre Sultan LOL You know, amber is a very crowded territory and I'm definitely a freak for straight forward amber centered compositions...

Don't try to do this with top-quality vetivers unless you want to end up having an headache while naming the countless options...

OK put it this way, if I was going to order a half dozen or so samples of the best amber fragrances, would you pick ambrarem as one?

OK put it this way, if I was going to order a half dozen or so samples of the best amber fragrances, would you pick ambrarem as one?
    I would add Histoire's Ambre 114 to your sample pack. You might also want to sample Armani Privé's Ambre Soie. Ambrarem is a more than just an amber.