Code of Conduct

Default Replacement Scent for Kingdom

I'm desperately looking for a replacement for my beloved Kingdom by Alexander McQueen. I bought two bottles when I heard rumours that it was discontinued and have less than a third of one bottle remaining.

I love the uber bright opening, the cumin, and the dark sultry (ok maybe 'dirty') flowers in the end - can anyone suggest any scents that have a similar feel?

Any and all suggestions welcome!
    - LILY

Default Re: Replacement Scent for Kingdom

I also enjoy Kingdom, but I have yet to experience another floral/cumin/armpit monster.

Cherish what you have.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes, I've been trying to be economical with what's left, the fact the you only need one or two sprays to get a big impact and 6+ hours of scent certainly helps!
    - LILY

Maybe you would like Rose Poivree or Voleur de Roses? I love Kingdom too but I don't wear it very often.

Hmm,

Well, of course you won't find another fragrance to smell quite like Kingdom.

If it was me, I'd start here:

SAMSARA Guerlain
    TAM DAO Diptyque
    DINNER BY BOBO By Bobo
    MIDNIGHT POISON Dior

Hillaire

Well, if it's that massive blast of curry-like cumin you really dig, you should totally try out Parfum d'Empire Aziyade or Theo Fennel Scent.

But you may be happy to learn there is, in fact, a Kingdom clone out there -- I think it is actually BETTER -- though it's not cheaper ...than the high-priced Kingdom bottles on ebay. It is Bois 1920 Sandalo et The.

Basenotes Plus

Rose 31 by Le Labo comes closest with the rose/cumin mix of Kingdom but it replaces the warm creamy sandalwood with a dry, harsh cedar. It would be worth trying to see if you like it.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

It's hard to think of anything very similar but it might be worth checking out the following because of their use of spices:

Rose 31
    Pure Distance M
    Muscs Koublai Khan
    perhaps even Arabie at a stretch.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Rose 31 popped up a lot so I will definitely start with that one. Even if the price means they won't replace Kingdom in general circulation, sampling some of the other scents mentioned may help me figure out what it is about Kingdom which enchants me so.
    - LILY

Thanks so much for these. Many of the other suggestions were just as expensive as the remaining bottles of Kingdom so while I will certainly sample them, I probably won't end up with any full bottles or daily scents. I am embarrassed by how many of the Poisons I currently own, but shockingly never once even tried Midnight - that'll be first on the list!
    - LILY

I have also hoarded three bottles of Kingdom... TDC Rose Poivree comes the closest to it, though it does not have that "just getting out of a warm bed"/"after sex heat" smell to it. Rochas Femme (especially the new version) is also heavy on the cumin and has a sultry feel to it - it's worth a sniff. You could also give Boudouir a try and eventually Tabu. These lack the cumin overload of Kingdom but do have its sultriness.

Fragrancex still has Kingdom. It is not cheap but maybe cheaper than on e-bay? They have the 50 ml for 82 EUR and the 30 ml bottle for 72 EUR.

This thread reminds me how much I enjoy Kingdom, but have neglecting it...I'd best show it some love.
    Though not a replacement, your question made me think of Le Baiser du Dragon. Why? Maybe it has a similar quality of "bite" to it. Serge Lutens Fleur d'Oranger carries a bit of that too.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache