Code of Conduct

Default Creed Baie de Genievre vs Bois du Portugal

2 classical, sophisticated "gentlemans" fragrance from Creed. Baie de Genievre and Bois du Portugal. Which one do you prefer, and why? I like both but will place Baie de Genievre above BDP. Just because I think it smells more classy and elegant.

Default Re: Creed Baie de Genievre vs Bois du Portugal

Is Baie de Genievre a gentleman's fragrance? When I sniff it I sometimes class it as unisex, and sometimes think it a tad feminine. My wife is less ambivalent, she says it's plainly a feminine scent.
    Anyhow, I like it because it's loud and has presence.

Whereas BDP is a bit too subtle for my taste, but that probably is what makes it a more gentlemanly scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Is Baie de Genievre a gentleman's fragrance? When I sniff it I sometimes class it as unisex, and sometimes think it a tad feminine. My wife is less ambivalent, she says it's plainly a feminine scent.
    Anyhow, I like it because it's loud and has presence.

Whereas BDP is a bit too subtle for my taste, but that probably is what makes it a more gentlemanly scent.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Hmm.. Strange. I find Baie de Genievre to be totaly masculine, and I can`t imagine it on a woman..

I absolutely agree. Australian women must have strange taste. I can't imagine Baie de Genievre as even a unisex scent, except in the sense of the basenotes credo "every frag is unisex." It seems like something a wealthy lumberjack or hunter would wear.

I'm also perplexed by any assessment of BdG as feminine or unisex-- it's as manly as they come. On the other hand, I once met a well-polished older French lady whose perfume smelled EXACTLY like BdP--I even asked her if it was, but she said it was something classic from Chanel (I have no idea what it could have been though).

They're both good scents, but I prefer Baie de Genievre. It's a bit brash, but I like that touch of ruggedness-- as opposed to the dry refinement of Bois du Portugal. Baie de Genievre smells like an unexpected combo of cold dry gin and hot buttery coffee cake with cinnamon on top just out of the oven. I love it!

I prefer Baie de Genievre. Portugal seems a little too conventional, though it is well done. There are just so many scents in the classic gentleman's woody/oriental category that it's hard to stay enthusiastic about just one of them for long.

But Baie de Genievre is totally unique, while still being very refined and easy to wear. Once again, Indie hits that nail on the head with his description. That cool green juniper/gin accord makes for a striking juxtaposition against the warmth of the dusty cinnamon and wood notes that provide the structure of the scent.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th August 2011 at 04:58 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sur la Plage

I prefer Bois de Portugal. But they are both very good fragrances - no other classification/adjectives needed or necessary.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 19th August 2011 at 10:27 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bois du Portugal

Bdp hands down. To me they are not even in the same league.

I'm a BdG guy. Only discovered this a couple of months ago and was blown away. Love the cinnamon.

I like BdP, but fear I am slightly anosmic to the sandalwood note in it...or it just doesn't last well on me.

I consider BdG one of my masculine mature gentleman favorites. It's not for everybody, but it's very nice. It does not smell like it, but I kind of consider it a high end Old Spice kind of scent. It somehow has that kind of vibe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    2 classical, sophisticated "gentlemans" fragrance from Creed. Baie de Genievre and Bois du Portugal. Which one do you prefer, and why? I like both but will place Baie de Genievre above BDP. Just because I think it smells more classy and elegant.
    Creed Baie de Genievre is under appreciated but Bois du Portugal is better, IMO. BdP is more powerful and long lasting than BdG.

Martin

While booth are gentlemen scents, I find BdG to be more unique..
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

I`m probably in the minority, but I`m one of the few that like the opening best in BDP. It`s fantastic, but the dry down is just average.. BDG on the other hand, is classy all the way from start to finish.

I don't find motivation to wear either of these classic great scents much nowadays. It kind of a toss up in choice of the two.

Overall Bois du Portugal is much preferred over Baie de Genievre in terms of the general public preference. BdP has that classic masculine deep lavender and spice woods fougere scent perfectly created. It is perfection in a category of masculine style emulated by others - equally as good - such as Heritage, Zino and New York. I agree with those who go against the tide of popularity here and feel Baie de Genievre is the more refreshing, straight forward, with its juniper and cinnamon simplicity. BdG is less potent but is equally as masculine - I don't see how anyone could think it is feminine.

I`m probably in the minority, but I`m one of the few that like the opening best in BDP. It`s fantastic, but the dry down is just average..
    Oh I agree. BdP has one hell of a whip-crack opening. The powdery/conventional base is less interesting.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I absolutely agree. Australian women must have strange taste. I can't imagine Baie de Genievre as even a unisex scent, except in the sense of the basenotes credo "every frag is unisex." It seems like something a wealthy lumberjack or hunter would wear.
    I bought five or six sample vials of Baie de Genievre years ago for a dollar each, and honestly, I've tested them over and over and I can't detect anything much masculine in it.
    Renato

I have them both and I love and respect them equally. A couple weeks ago I put on BDG and found it beyond amazing and it took a place beside my beloved BDP. If the rumors that BDG will soon be retired are true, I'm stockin up.

Also: BDG is as masculine as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I have them both and I love and respect them equally. A couple weeks ago I put on BDG and found it beyond amazing and it took a place beside my beloved BDP. If the rumors that BDG will soon be retired are true, I'm stockin up.

Also: BDG is as masculine as they come.
    -Where do you pick up "rumors" like that? I hope it`s not true..

I prefer BdG for sure.....I do not see BdG as a unisex scent at all.....Gary

-Where do you pick up "rumors" like that? I hope it`s not true..
    Heard it from a SA at Bergdorf Goodman in NYC. Perhaps she just wanted to push a sale though. That was about a year ago. She mentioned a few others with it and none so far have been vaulted.

Heard it from a SA at Bergdorf Goodman in NYC. Perhaps she just wanted to push a sale though. That was about a year ago. She mentioned a few others with it and none so far have been vaulted.
    The Creed reps are getting very savvy about inferring and implying any older Creed you express an interest in will be or might be discontinued. I had the same experience when I bought my BdG. "only one bottle left...."

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    The Creed reps are getting very savvy about inferring and implying any older Creed you express an interest in will be or might be discontinued. I had the same experience when I bought my BdG. "only one bottle left...."
    That may be true, but I wish we'd all been given more of a chance to "scramble the jets" when Vintage Tabarome got the axe!

I do believe it is a gonner already (one of the greycaps) and existing bottles are making their way through the pipeline. My bottle, from a frontline seller, is from 2007.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    That may be true, but I wish we'd all been given more of a chance to "scramble the jets" when Vintage Tabarome got the axe!
    As I recall, the problem there was existing stock in stores was already way, way low when they revealed it was being discontinued. In addition, it was only available in falcons...no bottles. At least that was my experience out here.

I just ordered 2.5 oz of BdG from the Creed boutique website, so at least today it is still available.

I hope they're not discontinuing this one too; I already miss Green Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I do believe it is a gonner already (one of the greycaps) and existing bottles are making their way through the pipeline. My bottle, from a frontline seller, is from 2007.

Martin
    Thanks, Martin! I just played it safe and ordered an 8.4 oz flacon from ParfumsRaffy. Their prices haven't yet risen commensurate with Creed's recent hike, so at the very least, I got a bargain ($235 shipped). Like Windsor and VT, I need this stuff in my life for a long, long time.

BdP is the winner in my book, but BdG has its charms. BdP, though, all the way. So rich and substantial. BdG can be a little too screechy and loud, IMO. But I do like both.

I loved BdP immediately and was less than impressed with BdG. However, for some reason, I purchased both and I now prefer BdP by a nudge.

BDP, interesting Masculine and somewhat of refine IMO

BDP smells better, but being a younger man I find BDG a tad easier to wear.

I find BdP disgusting, and I don't use that word lightly. I don't know what it is about it; it just makes me think of body odor. Probably my least favorite cologne next to A*Man.

BdG, on the other hand, is pretty nice, and definitely masculine. Not my favorite Creed, but I like it.

And I too heard that BdG was not long for the world, but discounted it as just a rumor.

I love BdG's opening, but the drydown is a bit old-fashioned fougere boring IMO. BdP is similar (I am testing it right now on my arm) and I like the drydown better, it's smoother...