Code of Conduct

Default "Woody" fragrance for women

I have spent some time trying to find a good "woody" fragrance, but the only ones I like are for men e.g Chanel Egoiste.
    Does anyone know a perfume that is similar to this for women?
    Chanel's Sycomore might fit the bill - but apparently it's a bit like cigarette smoke.. I haven't tried it yet.
    Any ideas?

Default Re: "Woody" fragrance for women

My mother LOVES Platinum Egoiste (completely different from Egoiste I know, but there's some woods in there.) So, if I may piggyback on your question, is there a female fragrance close to PE as well?

Chanel Bois des Iles
    Lutens Féminité du Bois

actually, I wear some men scents for the wood, recently discovered M7 by YSL : surprising ! a little sweet and powdery wood with some oud, can be turned into feminine. After the agarwood accord top and heart, it has a non sweet amber drydown which I enjoy a lot. The current formulation is not as strong as that of a few years back.

and Wonderwood by Commes des Garçons : all sorts of woods aligned, I have only sampled once but must return (not always easy in Amsterdam for sampling). If I remember correctly opens with Sandalwood, goes on with Cedarwood, and then some Agarwood (?). Check reviews for this. It is sold as unisex I think.

Sycomore doesn't smell like cigarette smoke.

I'd suggest it and bois DES iles.

for swap/sale:

I recommend trying Ormonde Woman.

Notes list from Fragrantica:
    "Top: Cardamom, coriander and grass oil
    Heart: Black hemlock, violet and jasmine absolute
    Base: Vetiver, cedar wood, amber and sandalwood"

Kind of hard to find though. I got my sample from The Perfumed Court.

As others have suggested already, Chanel Egoiste was derived from another, older Chanel perfume marketed to women, Bois des Isles (which is more luxurious), so that's the obvious recommendation. Unfortunately, it is available only at Chanel boutiques, or online, so you have to live near a Chanel boutique (ie a big town). It is available in EdT and also, if you want to splurge, in parfum concentration.

As reminiscent suggested, another style would be Feminite de bois (which means "femininity of wood", btw), but the woods are sharper (cedars) in there. Another Serge Lutens in the style would be Bois des violette, which has a strong violet note - but it is available only in Paris.

Sycomore, which I like, is not cigarette-like at all. Nor is it woody in the sense of the perfumes above. It's primarily a vetiver (that is, fresh) enriched by incense-like woods. For similar types of incense-woods (but with little vetiver, that is, not fresh) you can also try Timbuktu by l'Artisan parfumeur.

cacio

Basenotes Member

I'm a woodsy gal and I second Bois Des Iles. You can buy it online at Chanel.com. I'm waiting to see if someone gives it to me for my birthday next week (I've hinted) and if not, I'm going to order it myself. Oh yes, it will be mine!

Off-Scenter

Ormonde Woman, without a doubt. Also Futur, Parfum Sacré, Memoir Woman, and (again) Bois des Îles, Feminité du Bois and Sycomore.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

What's wrong with a woman wearing Egoiste?

+1 to Chanel Bois des Iles.
    Also try Sonoma Scent Studio Winter Woods or Wood Violets.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 20th August 2011 at 05:08 PM.

You couldn't have better suggestions here. I fully second Bois Des Iles, Futur, Parfum Sacrè and Feminitè du Bois. Sycomore is definitely worth trying as one of the best in its genre.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I smelled She Wood on a woman a couple weeks ago. I could instantly tell that's what it was, because it smelled exactly like a feminine version of Rocky Mountain Wood. It was pretty pleasant, but also kinda unique.

I'll agree with many of the above suggestions, as a woman who likes woods in her fragrance. Bois des Iles and FdB are certainly up there in my recs. I also wear Egoiste, and certainly suggest that one too.

You might also try something like Perfumerie Generale Cadjmere, if you are looking also at niche, as a sweetish wood fragrance. It is one of my favorites, and is easily unisex due to the sweet edge. It is woody, slightly green, with a tropical slant. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Perfumerie Generale Cadjmere.
    Good call Cello. Also Bois Blond is a valid option.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Mechant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur.
    A light wodsy perfume with a hint of licorice. I dont smell the stated homey note.

for swap/sale:

Thank you everyone for your advice! This is my first time on this site - and I'm definately a follower now (although I have a lot to learn). I'm off to try Bois des Iles and Sycomore. I'll have to hunt around for the others (department store? - I know, I know, I'm a novice)...
    so much generous info, thanks...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    What's wrong with a woman wearing Egoiste?
    Yep- A good scent is a good scent.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

A Demi-Mot
    Cybèle

The dirt cheap, but extremely good quality for money Eau de Cedre Bleu by Yves Rocher- very linear, very Zen, also very contemporary, crisp and lightful blue cedar
    Again on the more affordable side, again quite expensive smelling (this time, preciously, lavishly Oriental woody): Sandalwood by Crabtree&Evelyn (the 1970 formulation being even more spectacular than the 2004 one), though marketed as male/unisex, easily wearable for ladies, as it has a very consistent warm and sensual, also very distinguished accord and it even marginally resembles Egoiste

I would like to suggest you Essence Wenge by Donna Karan .

I don't know if you have a L'Occitane store near you, but I find their fragrances offer an inspired take on woody.

Cedar Eau de Parfum, at my nearest store at least, is to be found among the female fragrances. Personally I prefer their Vetyver, which is similar but less woodsy and with a touch of vetiver. (Only a touch!) It's marketed to men, but not that different.

Also, a +1 to Sonoma Scent Studio Wood Violets - I've not sampled Winter Woods yet but it's on my list.