Code of Conduct

Default I like Miller Harris Fleur Oriental, and PG Ilang Ivohibe ... What else would I like?

I'm terrible at describing fragrances, but I'm looking for a signature scent.

I like both Miller Harris Fleur Oriental, and Parfumerie Generale Ilang Ivohibe. I have no idea what notes I enjoy in these, but to me, they come across as elegant, classy and ladylike with a hint of sensuality. I do not want anything that is overtly sugary or sweet, but rather unapologetic, mature and maybe a touch masculine. Something fitting for a powerful but graceful business woman ...

I'd really appreciate some recommendations based on the two scents listed above, and my rather vague description of what I am looking for. A starting point would be great so that I can start purchasing some samples and tuning into what I like most

Default Re: I like Miller Harris Fleur Oriental, and PG Ilang Ivohibe ... What else would I like?

Personally I enjoy Fleur Oriental and can't stand PG Ilang Ivohibe, but my recommendation will be Chanel Les Exclusifs -- Bois des Iles, Coromandel, Rue Cambon and 28, La Pausa. While you are in a boutique, try their #5 Eau Premiere.

Default Re: I like Miller Harris Fleur Oriental, and PG Ilang Ivohibe ... What else would I like?

Thankyou Twolf - I really appreciate your suggestions!

I should say that I also wanted something a little more distinct, complex and individual, than a lot of the perfumes that are readily available like Angel and J'adore. I hadn't looked at brands like Dior and Chanel, for this reason - I find people identifying my perfume (with the actual smell of it being a secondary comment) very off-putting, and it's happened a lot in the past!

I had no idea about the Les Exclusifs range though. Are they limited edition? They actually seem very fitting

Not LE but only available at the boutiques and online, not in the regular department stores. Please test before investing into a FB, samples are to be ordered through The Perfumed Court (not affiliated) if there is no boutique where you live.

Fleur de Sel by Miller Harris. A salty floral. Lovely.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

+ 1 for Les Exclusifs especially Bois des Iles. A personal favorite.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Maybe Kiss Me Tender by Parfums de Nicolaļ. Because of the heliotrope, which is what I like best about Fleur Oriental.

Thank you for all your responses I'll be looking to purchase samples for the majority of scents listed.

Lilybelle, thank you for pointing out something specific from Fleur Oriental - I don't know what heliotrope smells like, but it'll be interesting to see if that is the note I enjoy too!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinna View Post
    Thank you for all your responses I'll be looking to purchase samples for the majority of scents listed.

Lilybelle, thank you for pointing out something specific from Fleur Oriental - I don't know what heliotrope smells like, but it'll be interesting to see if that is the note I enjoy too!
    It smells sweet and almondy, some people people think it smells like play-dough, and it has a powdery aspect as well. I really like it in Fleur Oriental.

So my samples arrived - I ordered some of those recommended, as well as a few others that had come up when I searched the boards.

Unfortunately, I wasn't keen on any of the Chanel Exclusifs - they didn't seem to sit well on my skin, and were a touch too sharp. Out of BDI, Rue Cambon, Coromandel and La Pausa, the La Pausa was probably the one I preferred the most.

I also ordered Annick Goutal Heure Exquise and Hermes Faubourg and found that these were also a touch too 'mature' for my liking.

Perhaps some of the recommendations came from different interpretations of the words I had used to describe what I was looking for, but I hope that my likes and dislikes narrow it down some more! I'm not familiar with notes, but it'd be great if some of you can spot trends in my preferences ...

Perfumes I did enjoy:
    Le Labo Labdanum 18
    Le Labo Iris 39
    Frederik Malle Iris Poudre
    Miler Harris Fleur Oriental
    PG Ilang Ivohibe

Would love more recs based on these!

My apologies for recommending what does not sit right on you. 28, La Pausa is very soft and gentle on this skin, while PG 15 ivohibe is sharp in the beginning and unpleasant in the process of wear. We are all different.

While I am being afraid to recommend something else, and waiting for someone else to chime in, here are some more: L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu, Drole de Rose and Bois Farine. Try other PGs, esp. Musc Maori and Aomassai. Hermes Hiris, 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate (different from the original), Vetiver Tonka.

No, not at all! I really appreciate all suggestions - it really helps me compare things and start building a more extensive list of preferences!

I've just applied 28, La Pausa again. I wore the Exclusifs only for about an hour or so, and I should perhaps let them sit for longer. I think it's the opening and initial sniff that turns me off the most. I can't describe what I'm smelling, but I find it a little sickly, although not in a sweet sugary way. I felt the same about the rest of the line - it was the opening that urged me to wash them off before letting them fully develop!

The one thing that is interesting to me now though is the notion of having a signature scent. I really wanted to find something that I love and that those close to me will come to associate with me, but now, having found a few things I like, the difference between say Labdanum 18 and Iris 39 is so vast that it's hard to say which one I'm most drawn to!