Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a Lime based fragrance any suggestions?

I've tried Azure Lime several times and was disappointed by it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a few Lime-Based or straight Lime fragrances.

Default Re: Looking for a Lime based fragrance any suggestions?

Hi, Admittedly, I am VERY elementary when it comes to testing fragrances. However, When I tested Antiheroes by Etat Libre d'Orange, the most prominent "notes" I noticed were "key lime pie and pine sap." I did not put it on my wishlist because I'm not a fan of citrus, but I love most of ELdO, and maybe Antiheroes is worth a try for you?

Hope this helps.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

I'll let others chime in, but honestly N. CAL, lime scents are horrifically short lived. There is great lime note in the open of VIW, that made me seek a lime scent. I picked Trumpers Lime. Fantastic! for about 20 minutes.

I've seen many a thread here and in other forms crash and burn as people seek a good lime scent. Azure Lime is generally thought to be one of the longer lasting ones.

I've recently sampled Anglia Perfumery (Crown) Imperial Lime / Spiced Limes. I liked them both, the latter being quite old school and I'd think appropriate for more formal occasions as well as informal just the same.

Though I am new here on Basenotes, I would suggest "guerlain Homme Intense" (not the "fresh" version or the EDT version! they're awful!) it's a cool twist on the infamous "mojito" accord. Hope this will be helpful

Bond No 9 Nouveau Bowery or Central Park

Aromatic Lime

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Jo Malone Lime, Basil & Mandarin. My husband loves this.

I also like, for myself, Bronnley Lime & Bergamot eau fraiche (but it wears like an edt.) It's cheap-- $17 at smallflower.com for 100 ml spray. This is less complex than the Malone and lasts about 4 hours while the Malone lasts twice that.

live jazz and Hanae Mori are very limey

Frapin- L'humaniste.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Stardust for Men. Mexican (Key) Lime dominates. A bit different and less citrusy than most other lime frags.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Sound Scents

For a straight lime, I recommend Trumpers Extract of West Indian Limes. The best pure lime scent I have smelled. The only problem is it is a very brief experience as you get the blast of lime and then it is gone within the hour.

The Spiced Limes recommendation I also concur with. I own the original Crown Perfumery version, but assuming it is the same, it is a nice classy Lime scent that smells just like its name and that has excellent longevity (8+ hours on my skin).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Take a look at Guerlain Imperiale as it features lime and lime blossom.

I get a lot of lime from creed VIW acutally.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrydown View Post
    I get a lot of lime from creed VIW acutally.
    Interesting

I forgot to mention that i like the opening for azure lime. I want to find a fragrance that has that exact same opening but lasting a lot longer. Azure Lime opening lasts no more than 20-30 min.

It's not straight up lime but it is easily detectable behind the coconut.

For long lasting great limes these are great
    Nouveau Bowery - a better longer lasting version of Jo Malones Lime, Basil and Mandarin
    Virgin Island Water - lime, light coconut and rum
    Central Park - very green and citrus and lime
    L'Humaniste - lime, gin and Tonic with juniper berries. Long lasting
    Selection Verte - plenty of lime, light mint and citrus
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Nouveau Bowery and Central Park by Bond No.9
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Jo Malone Lime, Basil & Mandarin.
    This. And I'll add

Calè Assolo (lime, artemisia and green apple on a strong woody/musky base)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Extract of Limes by Penhaligons

Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Limes

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Stardust for Men. Mexican (Key) Lime dominates. A bit different and less citrusy than most other lime frags.
    +1. This one has fallen off the BN-radar but it shouldn't have. It's really quite a good scent!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

Jo Malone Sweet Lime and Cedar
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Squeeze lime oils in a vial. Add some perfumer alcohol. Enjoy.

C O Bigelow Lemon and Lime 1818

While not exactly lime-dominant, my current favorite fragrance with a lime note is Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns. I also like the lime and peppermint combo in the opening of Czeck & Speake's Cuba.

Among the classic English houses, if you're willing to accept something less natural-smelling than the Trumpers, try the Truefitt and Hill. It lasts a lot longer, and may even be the longest-lasting "pure lime" scent I've tried. It gets a bit creamier and sweeter at the end, almost like it's turning into Stewart's Lime Soda, but I figure that beats the ones that disappear altogether.

What is the longevity and how long is the projection/scent cloud for Jo Malones Lime, Basil and Mandarin?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    For long lasting great limes these are great
    Nouveau Bowery - a better longer lasting version of Jo Malones Lime, Basil and Mandarin
    Virgin Island Water - lime, light coconut and rum
    Central Park - very green and citrus and lime
    L'Humaniste - lime, gin and Tonic with juniper berries. Long lasting
    Selection Verte - plenty of lime, light mint and citrus

Of course the limiest of all are Truefitt & Hill and Trumper's West Indian Limes. These are pure, nearly natural lime concoctions. Very short lived, more like body tonics really.

I'm not sure I would call C&S Cuba a lime based frag. It certainly has lime its mojit-esque accord, but Cuba's really about tobacco, civet, and aromatic woods.

Bond's Coney Island is an interesting take on lime with vanilla and chocolate. Longevity on me is the best I've ever gotten out of a lime fragrance, at least 6-8 hours.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    What is the longevity and how long is the projection/scent cloud for Jo Malones Lime, Basil and Mandarin?
    My husband says at least 5-6 hours, maybe a bit longer, but remember the basil note will be the longest lasting of the three. On me it lasted 10 hours.

Trumers Extract of Limes Cologne - This has the pink label. The colgone version is stronger than the regular splash and is the purest dry lime fragrance I've ever had. I splash it on and it lasts a couple hours but comes back with perspiration. This also layers well with almost any other aquatic scent to give them a natural but piercing dry lime top note.

Guerlain Homme L' Eau is the best lime based fragrance I've tried. Refreshing stuff.

From Etro : Benetroessere Resort

lime, magnolia, light woody base.

I second the recommendation in favour of Crabtree & Evelyn's West Indian Lime.

Creed Selection Verte is also very good.

My husband says at least 5-6 hours, maybe a bit longer, but remember the basil note will be the longest lasting of the three. On me it lasted 10 hours.
    Ill definitely give it a try next time i'm at Neiman Marcus. How long does the lime note last?

How about Montale Aoud Lime?

I know there isn't much in the way of lime in there - technically speaking, it isnt listed as a note, but I perceive a lot of lime in it - but maybe the lack of real lime is why it lasts for quite a while. I should note that, after an hour or so, some rose appears, which alternates with the lime. The lime and rose take it in turns to shine, but one of them is always there.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Ill definitely give it a try next time i'm at Neiman Marcus. How long does the lime note last?
    I already had different fragrance on today when I read this, but grabbed my husband's sample and sprayed once on my upper arm to sniff as I ran my errands. The lime note lasted about 2.5 hours, although by the end it was a skin scent. However, I usually find that top notes last longer when the fragrance is sprayed on the chest under one's clothing or even on the clothes themselves.

Do test it yourself when the opportunity arises; it's a very pleasant and invigorating scent.

VIW (Creed) I really tune into the lime...not always in a good way.

2.5 hours is still short for longevity but i will give it a try. Do you recall getting moderate projection?

I already had different fragrance on today when I read this, but grabbed my husband's sample and sprayed once on my upper arm to sniff as I ran my errands. The lime note lasted about 2.5 hours, although by the end it was a skin scent. However, I usually find that top notes last longer when the fragrance is sprayed on the chest under one's clothing or even on the clothes themselves.

Do test it yourself when the opportunity arises; it's a very pleasant and invigorating scent.

From the perspective of a maker of perfumes, the thing about lime is it's obviously a citrus, which means it's going to be short-lived. But unlike lemon or mandarin it's not easy to find anything else that smells similar but lasts longer to boost the longevity with. Even a strict natural perfumer can use Litsea cubeba or olibanum to boost lemon and petitgrain will keep orange or mandarin going a bit longer and that's without resorting to any of the array of orangy aroma chemicals that can last for ages. Lime, not so much.

On the other hand I rather like it for exactly that reason - a bit like cherry blossom - it is all the more beautiful for being fleeting. And if I may be permitted a tiny bit of self promotion, it takes centre-stage in my most popular cologne: Gin & Lime.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Aoud lime....lasting power is fantastic!

Floris no 5 - Limes
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    Aoud lime....lasting power is fantastic!
    What's the longevity and projection?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

2.5 hours is still short for longevity but i will give it a try. Do you recall getting moderate projection?
    I'm at the mall right now and have sprayed myself with JM Lime, Basil & Mandarin to check it gain. Yes, I would say this is one of the Malones that has decent (moderate) projection.

Montale Aoud Lime

I sampled Nouveau Bowery today, and i like it!

Guerlain Homme EDT is excellent.

I sampled Jo Malone Lime, Basil, Mandarin. The initial impression was ok, i'm going to wear it on my skin today and see what it has to offer.

NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Diesel Green Masculine is a decent cheapie with lots of lime (although it's a very synthetic, sweet lime candy type note that's mixed with vanilla). It's been discontinued for awhile, but is still readily available online.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Nouveau Bowery and Central Park by Bond No.9
    Gary
    These two for sure.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

All great suggestions so far. I'll add in: Contradiction by Calvin Klein. Solid lime note in the middle of that one.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee. Sharp lime with a big hit of warm smoky vetiver. The 'Terre on lime' description I've heard from others on here is spot on.

Virgin Island Water is delicious with a lot of lime in the opening (you must like coconut also)
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

The Trumpers and the Floris I like a lot, Truefitt's is nice, Selection Verte I absolutely absolutely adore, but Azure Lime disappointed me too.

- - - Updated - - -

The Trumpers and the Floris I like a lot, Truefitt's is nice, Selection Verte I absolutely absolutely adore, but Azure Lime disappointed me too.

Caswell-Massey Lime is an excellent lime and herbal fragrance. It's pretty simple but very refreshing and natural smelling. It's been discontinued, but you can still get it on their website if you put "lime" in their search engine. If you just click on categories, it will never come up. It's also now half-price until they run out of it. I can't imagine that anybody who is pointedly looking for it would not find it a steal at the $17.99 (I think) they're currently asking for it.

Bluff Lubin
    I Love New York for Fathers Bond No 9
    Citron Miller Harris

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Of course the limiest of all are Truefitt & Hill and Trumper's West Indian Limes. These are pure, nearly natural lime concoctions. Very short lived, more like body tonics really.
    I love both TRUEFITT & Trumpers, but the trumpets literally has no heart or base. TRUEFITT is a much more complete scent, and hangs on with a floral/citric/mildly-clovey drydown.

If you like cool water, GIT, chez bond, Garrigue, etc....and also want lots of lime....Stardust is great. VIW is excellent lime with florals woods sugar and coconut. Selection Verte gives off a great Mojito type accord, better than the very discreet Mojito in Guerlain homme.

Banned
    Blog Entries

mugler cologne and some of the cheap bay rums.