Code of Conduct
    Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Default Pheromones: Don't believe the hype - a Slate article

http://www.slate.com/id/2301911/pagenum/all

A few highlights:

"No scientific study has ever proven conclusively that mammals have pheromones."

"The women tended to choose T-shirts from men whose immune systems were most different from their own, suggesting that humans have an innate smell-based system to avoid mating with siblings."

"Most of the evidence nowadays suggests that the way we react to aromas is learned."
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Default Re: Pheromones: Don't believe the hype - a Slate article

Thanks for sharing! In fact, science does largely confirm something I suspected quite for a while (namely, that pheromone-based products, even if not pheromones by themselves, are either totally ineffectual or, at least, vastly overrated)

Good article!

To be honest, I find it hard to believe that pheremones don't exist. It just makes perfect sense. I think most people's perception of what a pheromone is is drastically incorrect. The average person thinks these molecules are purely for attraction, probably because that is how they are commercially marketed - "sex magnets".

A pheromone is "a chemical substance produced and released into the environment by an animal, affecting the behavior or physiology of others of its species".

Of course it can be applied to attraction, but it could also be applied to any other behaviour/physiological changes. I'm guessing they can also have the quality of warning other animals to stay away etc.

It seems stupid to doubt their existence, and I'm sure I've read they are scientifically proven to be real - just not "as advertised" on those "magically get the girl" websites.

Very interesting and informative.

They exist but it's like Jedi mind tricks in Star Wars; they only work on the weak minded. Seriously, the higher up the SPECIES intelligence scale, the less effect they generally have.

If you have $100 to spend, compare the 1% "edge" that a pheromone might get you versus a 15% "edge" that nicer clothes, whiter teeth, or a gym membership to get rid of that adipose tissue hanging over your belt, might get you.

I spent ($30...?) on something called Lure (for him), a nice generic vanilla scent with some pheromone added. Ironically, it wasn't as a lure that I use it, but as a (non-scientific) experiment with the woman I shag sometimes. MAYBE it has contributed to a longer embrace or cuddle, but that's about all I can imagine. It was cheap and I throw it on to take her "out" to the grocery store or post office. It actually has great longevity and blends well...but it's a casual fragrance. GIT, arguably, has affected her greater than Lure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    It actually has great longevity and blends well...but it's a casual fragrance. GIT, arguably, has affected her greater than Lure.

If GIT has affected her, GIT is almost a pheromone by definition (if only you naturally produced it)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    They exist but it's like Jedi mind tricks in Star Wars; they only work on the weak minded. Seriously, the higher up the SPECIES intelligence scale, the less effect they generally have.
    What is the scientific basis for this contentious statement?

http://www.pheromonetalk.com/
    http://pherotruth.com/

not huge communities but it seems like there might actually be something there. I'll admit, it's tempting...

Get thee gone, spambot!

Anyway, I'm not sure I buy the Slate article.

http://www.hhmi.org/research/investigators/dulac.html

Hormones in urine are widely known to be effective. People use doe estrus to lure bucks to hunting stands, animals display Flehmen's reaction to scent, and have Jacobson's organs.

I don't think bottled junk will win you a mate. Even if it does cause an initial spark of attraction, fleeting interest does not a successful human coupling make. As for appreciation of scent being learned...There are some smells that I adore that my parents both loathed growing up. For instance, the smell of marigolds, various incenses, etc.

Regarding the sheep, lavender is one of several different estrogen mimics. That could also have an influence on the ewes' response. I'm not dismissing the article as bunk or anything like that, but I am a bit skeptical.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]