Code of Conduct

Default A suggestion to all Basenoters

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I do apologise if this has been suggested before. I am being sincere by the way...

I do love Basenotes, lets put that up first. Wonderful place that's full of great people!!!

The site however is terrible. Slow, constant tech problems, etc.

Why don't we all put in a couple of dollars (or pounds or whatever) in a Grant's Paypal a/c so they can address some of these problems?

Wouldn't this be a great way to sort out some problems and we can all be proactive about it?

Just a thought,

Best wishes,

Koala.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: A suggestion to all Basenoters

Many of us do this already. It's called BN Plus membership. US$5/month.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Wow. And you don't really get anything for your money? I'd be quite angry about that.

C'mon Gents, This site is really, really terrible when it comes to tech problems. Surely there's more to be done here?

Lets do a poll, do something, let's just stop this from happening again and again and nothing gets done. Let's change it!!!!!

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well he is getting something for his money. Reviews posted immediately, freedom to change status below username and a pink username.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Well he is getting something for his money. Reviews posted immediately, freedom to change status below username and a pink username.
    Hey! You forgot:
    Basenotes Plus Member's Forum: Private discussion for Basenotes Plus Members, plus exclusive special offers, discounts and sample giveaways.

We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I've been giving $5 a month for the last six years.

Never really paid attention to what it got me. Just wanted the place to do good.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I've been giving $5 a month for the last six years.

Never really paid attention to what it got me. Just wanted the place to do good.
    Exactly Pluran and I say it's not doing well.

Why don't we all, instead of a few, make a payment and get this fixed?

I couldn't log in all day yesterday..so frustrating..not sure what to do except join that BN Plus thing..
    There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

Blog Entries

If it is a one-time contribution of not more than $10. each, I would be willing to help. This would create a special fund to fix things immediately.

It is not getting better, because the site is just tooooo laaaaaarge.

Start such a campaign, and tell me where to send the money, maybe via PayPal / credit card.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Banned

I already help two charity instituitions. Haitians, Angolans, Somali, Pakistani, New Orleans people are needing some light.

A status report would be nice and maybe an idea when it might be fixed as some people have pending transactions ? This is been going on for some 2 weeks or so, however I am not a paying member. I wouldnt mind joining but I believe the paying member are having the same issues the free members are. Ive owned many VBulletin forums in the past and have a professional programmer that works for me and maybe he could have a look at the problem ? We DO appreciate all you hard work Basentoes and staff !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    If it is a one-time contribution of not more than $10. each, I would be willing to help. This would create a special fund to fix things immediately.

It is not getting better, because the site is just tooooo laaaaaarge.

Start such a campaign, and tell me where to send the money, maybe via PayPal / credit card.

Beautiful! Thank you Ursula! This is the type of proactive thinking and get up off your arse approach to fixing this.

I agree. Hop on board guys. Any other constructive comments?

Please leave your sardonic humour elsewhere on this. I'm really passionate on this topic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by corgan View Post
    I already help two charity instituitions. Haitians, Angolans, Somali, Pakistani, New Orleans people are needing some light.
    Yes, so do I, my friends and several family members. How about we keep on topic to get this fixed and you wake up to yourself.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Sgrunt!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes should stay away from designer hosting and go for niche hosting instead...
    It's a bit more expensive, but well worth it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Exactly Pluran and I say it's not doing well.

Why don't we all, instead of a few, make a payment and get this fixed?
    And how will you feel if donating that money does not solve the problem? Basenotes has a revenue model, and it has a serious technical problem that it needs to solve. It will do or people will leave. Based on Grant's recent posts, I believe he understands that. He is working on outsourcing the technical aspect.

I am standing by to give $ for a membership (and then some). But I need to know that the site CAN be well run first.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Basenotes should stay away from designer hosting and go for niche hosting instead...
    LOL

I appreciate the sentiment of the OP, but a solution is in the works, and extra $ at this stage won't make it happen any quicker. Many thanks though!

This is a great community, but the backend infrastructure is terrible. vBulletin is good for a site with 300 users in 2002. I'd gladly pitch in something to help BN move to something more modern, stable, and not subject to constant exploit. A few days ago when everything was working "fine", a search on the classifieds took 241.23 seconds to complete. Time to rethink.

Just tried a search again. Lol.

Last edited by Baldini; 23rd April 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    LOL

I appreciate the sentiment of the OP, but a solution is in the works, and extra $ at this stage won't make it happen any quicker. Many thanks though!
    Good news, thanks!

One of the problems is still there, there are new replies but it doesn't show up when you refresh.
    So I guess it will be a matter of time before it crashes again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Hey! You forgot:
    Basenotes Plus Member's Forum: Private discussion for Basenotes Plus Members, plus exclusive special offers, discounts and sample giveaways.
    And don't forget storage of 1000 private messages. Very useful.

How about we all chip in and move Grant to the United States where webhosting is 10X better than in the UK. What do you prefer Grant... Coffee with Bailey's in Aspen, Colorado or Johnny Walker Blue label with a splash of tonic in "Big" Texas?
    Last edited by silentrich; 23rd April 2012 at 02:38 AM.

How about we get a stateside server ? AND the Blue Label

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    How about we all chip in and move Grant to the United States where webhosting is 10X better than in the UK. What do you prefer Grant... Coffee with Bailey's in Aspen, Colorado or Johnny Walker Blue label with a splash of tonic in "Big" Texas.
    Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    How about we all chip in and move Grant to the United States where webhosting is 10X better than in the UK. What do you prefer Grant... Coffee with Bailey's in Aspen, Colorado or Johnny Walker Blue label with a splash of tonic in "Big" Texas?
    We used to have a stateside server, didn't get any Johnny Walker with it though... (we'll be US server based again soonish I think...)

Hey! You forgot:

Yeah...PM me when you find out what those discounts and special offers are. Don't worry...I can save up to 1000 messages!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    We used to have a stateside server, didn't get any Johnny Walker with it though... (we'll be US server based again soonish I think...)
    That's fantastic! Ah man it's smooooth. You can drink as much as you want and never have a hangover in the morning

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Yes, so do I, my friends and several family members. How about we keep on topic to get this fixed and you wake up to yourself.
    So gross! Shall I agree to you to stay on topic?
    But I'll keep on the good mood. How about a third? Wake up, wake up, a third.

Quote Originally Posted by corgan View Post
    So gross! Shall I agree to you to stay on topic?
    But I'll keep on the good mood. How about a third? Wake up, wake up, a third.
    Really? Are you serious? You are saying that we should be focusing in on real charity on a fragrance enthusiast message board. Get over yourself. I am happy that you donate to these worthy causes but that doesn't give you a right to stand up on your soapbox and look down on the ones that do not disclose what if any charitable contributions they make every year to what if any institution because quite frankly this is not what this thread is about.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Tobacco Vanille
    9. Epic Man
    10.Straight to Heaven

Many of us do this already. It's called BN Plus membership. US$5/month.
    Gotta say Basenotes DOES provide a pretty safe platform for it's members to sale/trade/swap etc comparing to ebay or any other places. Although it is basically a free service but to me, i'd much prefer to spend 5 bucks here rather than some crappy movies.

I congratulate Koala on trying to get something started here. Yes there are problems and at least he is trying to get people to discuss. Any other suggestions?

Blog Entries

Part of the problem is the large site with members that are increasing by each day.

So, that problem of an unmanageable site because of many members could be shifted on to the members who are enjoying the site. Whatever other bills you have to pay, or whatever other foundations, charities you give to ... does not belong here.

The site will run best when fixed. To get the problem solved, money is needed, have no doubt about that.

I stand by the suggestion of an extra fund (freely donated to by volunteers at $10. a member) to get the ball rolling faster ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Lol, funny!

Thanks for the reply Grant! Thanks for the 'solution in the works', whatever that is! Really looking forward to it!

Thanks!.
    There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Part of the problem is the large site with members that are increasing by each day.

So, that problem of an unmanageable site because of many members could be shifted on to the members who are enjoying the site. Whatever other bills you have to pay, or whatever other foundations, charities you give to ... does not belong here.

The site will run best when fixed. To get the problem solved, money is needed, have no doubt about that.

I stand by the suggestion of an extra fund (freely donated to by volunteers at $10. a member) to get the ball rolling faster ...

I totally agree.

We all want a good outcome for this site we are so passionate about!

Nice to hear from Grant again. Very encouraging!