Code of Conduct

Default Why do people love Rive Gauche?

It smells like Barbasol Beard Buster...or heavy oaky/mossy scent. BK or M7 much nicer...

Default Re: Why do people love Rive Gauche?

I understand why many like it. The barbershop smell is a nice thing and many people have a taste that leans towards that type of scent. That is their taste. Overall though I will admit I found it very disappointing compared to what I heard. I'm not sure what it was but it was overwhelmingly strong and in my face to really enjoy it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

Cause it smells good.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It has a clean, very dry barbershop masculine aura. Plus what Joe said ^^^ ;')

It's clean, creamy, smooth, and masculine. I'm not a huge fan of star anise, but it's perfectly blended into this fragrance. Hands down one of these best designer fragrances made and for the price it's a steal.

PETRUC...sorry but I had to ask you since you advertently or inadvertently missed my last question: would you prefer Rive Gauche or Jil Sander Man Absolute to smell sensual for nighttime? LoL, sorry man but I really want your advice on JS MA since sooo many people rant about it and I need to get ALL the opinions possible before I blind purchase it! Thanks.

I tried Rive Gauche when I first got into fragrances. I can't even remember what it was like. I've recently found myself retrying lots of stuff from that period, a lot of which I overlooked. I'm thinking Rive Gauche may be right up my street and am trying to track a sample down, along with Live Jazz!

Pretty much anything that's going to be said about this fragrance http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122758.html

131 21 14 says it all.

Okay well lets make this fun: event is a formal night, formal clothes or tie and shirt, you want to smell sensual. In this case, Rive Gauche or Dior Homme Intense to wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    Okay well lets make this fun: event is a formal night, formal clothes or tie and shirt, you want to smell sensual. In this case, Rive Gauche or Dior Homme Intense to wear?
    If it's a formal event Rive Gauche goes hand in hand with a suit and tie. Dior Homme Intense would be better suited to clubbing and dates. With Rive Gauche they know your a man, and with Dior Homme Intense your telling her I like to smell like makeup and vanilla. Buy them both just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Cause it smells good.
    My problem is that it doesn't smell bad enough.

It smells great IMO.

I bought Rive Gauche blind on all the hype. Took a few sprays, put it back in the box with the shrink wrap still around it. Gave it to my brother a year later, he said a woman asked him what it was for her boyfriend. So he's happy.

It's a very versatile scent, i like to think.

It is a classic.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Kudos to YSL for bringing out a modern interpretation on the classic barbershop theme. Great fragrance and I just wish they would do a lime version of it as I think that would be great to.

Are people serious though.. Everyone knows if you do a side by side comparison that BK just smells nicer / more relaxing overall.

Dudester,better try first on your skin in order to avoid any disappointment.

Simply, because is classy and Elegant, not being boring as + - 95% of the "Sport Editions" currently available on the Market

One of the greatest scents for a guy, no doubt. I love it and it gives me an air of confidence whenever I wear it.
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Simply, because is classy and Elegant, not being boring as + - 95% of the "Sport Editions" currently available on the Market
    That's because it's from another era; nobody releases barbershop fougeres anymore. Compared to other 80s fougeres, I don't think it's that unique. But it's still well done and I do like to use it if I want to feel more mature.

bECaUse itīs a MASTERPIECE!

Because it is magnificent.

Hate it , dont want to smell like cheap shaving foam

I don't get it either. It smells very 'grocery store after shave' to me, but I get that impression from most aromatic fougeres. I guess they're just not for me...

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    One of the greatest scents for a guy, no doubt. I love it and it gives me an air of confidence whenever I wear it.
    Absolutely!

Are people serious though.. Everyone knows if you do a side by side comparison that BK just smells nicer / more relaxing overall.
    Why must we compare Rive Gauche with BK? Two very different scents for very different occasions. And who is "everyone?"

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I don't get it either. It smells very 'grocery store after shave' to me, but I get that impression from most aromatic fougeres. I guess they're just not for me...
    This. Why would someone spend money on something like Sartorial, when they can just grap Brut at the grocery store. This genre of fragrances just screams 'cologne'. Rive Gauche; ok I can see the retro appeal; the I am too cool for today's school thing...but, when I smell this on someone else, it is just bad.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    This. Why would someone spend money on something like Sartorial, when they can just grap Brut at the grocery store. This genre of fragrances just screams 'cologne'. Rive Gauche; ok I can see the retro appeal; the I am too cool for today's school thing...but, when I smell this on someone else, it is just bad.
    I bet if he was cute, you wouldn't care.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I bet if he was cute, you wouldn't care.
    Cute always trumps the fragrance...there is nothing a good shower can't fix...well almost.
    Joe, you could bathe in 1 Million and I would just grin and bear it.

...Why would someone spend money on something like Sartorial, when they can just grap Brut at the grocery store...ok I can see the retro appeal; the I am too cool for today's school thing...but, when I smell this on someone else, it is just bad.
    I agree, aromatic fougeres done in this retro style are truly redundant. This genre has been permanently cheapened. Sartorial and Rive Gauche are not going to make this genre smell expensive - in the real world, they smell kitsch. There is a reason that Rive Gauche is always heavily discounted.
    Good to read a post from you Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Good to read a post from you Barry!
    +1!

Stick around, would ya?

It is great, but not for me, a bit too "old-ish" smelling for me. I would rock it if I was 30+ and it was actually believable that I either went to a barber, or used barbersol.

Lets not forget another point, RG, is exceptionally well priced. $25 for a 4.2oz.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Sur la Plage

PETRUC...sorry but I had to ask you since you advertently or inadvertently missed my last question: would you prefer Rive Gauche or Jil Sander Man Absolute to smell sensual for nighttime? LoL, sorry man but I really want your advice on JS MA since sooo many people rant about it and I need to get ALL the opinions possible before I blind purchase it! Thanks.
    I always smell sensual, regardless of time of day or fragrance But I would say JSMA - but they are two entirely different fragrances.

That crisp, clean, linear barbershop-style soapiness

I love it because:

A) It's the most versatile scent I own
    B) The price is outstanding--less than $40 for a 4.2 oz can
    C) It's the most masculine scent I own, can't imagine a woman wearing it
    D) It lasts all day and projects perfectly--can't say that about many other scents in my wardrobe. Scents that last and project this well usually cost twice as much, if not more. In fact, aside from Egoiste, Dior Homme Intense and Allure Homme Sport, this is the only fragrance I have that I never need to reapply.
    E) When I wear it, I KNOW I smell good, can't say that about all my
    fragrances. I may love the smell of a fragrance, but not necessarily feel
    confident that other people will like it as well. Rive Gauche gives me that kind of confidence. A masterpiece.

Sur la Plage

Cute always trumps the fragrance...there is nothing a good shower can't fix...well almost.
    Joe, you could bathe in 1 Million and I would just grin and bear it.
    You definitely would be grinning.

Smells like Brut to me. I blind bought it cause it was cheap, wish I didn't, smells too old school, and I have never worn it. It doesn't smell bad, but just for someone age 65+.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Pretty much anything that's going to be said about this fragrance http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122758.html

131 21 14 says it all.
    Problem is.. this isn't always true. There are many beloved and high rated on here that I respect but are horrible on me and my wife hates. There are others that are panned that have done well on me and that work perfect for work or something. So I read reviews for notes and comparisons but never take them just to blind buy. Alot of old classics I used to love smell really overdone to me now. So you really have to take the numbers as a guide and see if it fits your own tastes and categories. JMO

Get a room guys....lol..

Good to see you Jock! I always likes your blunt assessments.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    That's because it's from another era; nobody releases barbershop fougeres anymore. Compared to other 80s fougeres, I don't think it's that unique. But it's still well done and I do like to use it if I want to feel more mature.
    It's from 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by justinp View Post
    It's from 2003.
    Exactly. When everyone's releasing aquatics and citruses in the last decade, Rive Gauche totally stood out. But if it was released in the 80s, it would probably be considered 'boring' as well.

It smells like Barbasol Beard Buster...or heavy oaky/mossy scent. BK or M7 much nicer...
    Because it's well made (and complex), smells great, performs well, and to see a fragrance of that type and quality coming out in 2003 is almost unbelievable. It's still far better than 99% of the $200-$600 niche fragrances, and I like it significantly better than Body Kouros or M7.

BTW, Rive Gauche is a women's fragrance made in 1971 by Jacques Polge and Michel Hy.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Because it's well made (and complex), smells great, performs well, and to see a fragrance of that type and quality coming out in 2003 is almost unbelievable. It's still far better than 99% of the $200-$600 niche fragrances, and I like it significantly better than Body Kouros or M7.

BTW, Rive Gauche is a women's fragrance made in 1971 by Jacques Polge and Michel Hy.
    +1.

+1.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    I love it because:

A) It's the most versatile scent I own
    B) The price is outstanding--less than $40 for a 4.2 oz can
    C) It's the most masculine scent I own, can't imagine a woman wearing it
    D) It lasts all day and projects perfectly--can't say that about many other scents in my wardrobe. Scents that last and project this well usually cost twice as much, if not more. In fact, aside from Egoiste, Dior Homme Intense and Allure Homme Sport, this is the only fragrance I have that I never need to reapply.
    E) When I wear it, I KNOW I smell good, can't say that about all my
    fragrances. I may love the smell of a fragrance, but not necessarily feel
    confident that other people will like it as well. Rive Gauche gives me that kind of confidence. A masterpiece.
    This

I've never liked Rive Gauche all that much either. But I have it. Others seem to like it a lot more on me than I do.
    Regards,
    Renato

I definitely won't say that it's better than 99% of expensive niche fragrances. Firstly, it is difficult to compare fragrances that are not from the same scent genre. However, in terms of other criteria like originality, natural-ness and boldness, I don't see Rive Gauche being very comparable with many niche scents. I wore it today just to remind myself of it, and I realized that I really like the drydown, but it does not blow me away the way Musc Kublai Khan or Sel de Vetiver did.

I was given this scent as a gift some years ago. Yes, it smells clean and very refreshing; reminded me the smell of a barbershop as a kid back in the 80īs. It smells nice but nothing out of the ordinary or great. I still donīt get the hype and rave reviews it receives.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

+2.

Simply because it smells very good, uncomplicated, clean and elegant!

I swear Joe, you look just like Tom Ford. Amazing resemblance

Never smelled it...