Code of Conduct

Default Alcohol Free Perfumes

Does anyone know any alcohol free perfumes? I have seen Chanel and Thierry Mugler make oil sprays. Are those alcohol free and long lasting?

Default Re: Alcohol Free Perfumes

The obvious answer is to buy Attars , Amouage being the best , Al Haramain and several others. The other answer is to wear body cremes , lotions and Federick Malle have many exquisite ones.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the two you mention, but it is possible to make a sprayable perfume where the alcohol is replaced by a type of silicone oil called cyclomethicone and I would guess that is what they are: in that case they will be alcohol free as that is the main point of using it. Cyclomethicone is quite widely used in cosmetics, evaporates quickly - though not as quickly as alcohol - and does not tend to dry the skin: some people prefer it for that reason.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

CB I Hate Perfume's spray fragrances:

"Q: What are the ingredients in CB Perfume?
    A: The ingredients in all CB Absolutes are: Diisoproply Adipate (extracted from Beet Juice) and Fragrance. The Ingredients in all CB Water Perfumes & CB HOME Sprays are: Distilled Water, Fragrance, PPG-26 Buteth-26, PEG-40 and Hydrogenated Castor Oil. No specially denatured alcohol is used in ANY CB Perfume."

From the FAQ page:

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/about-perfume.html

Le Petit Prince makes a very nice Alcohol Free EDT version of its main fragrance for kids I like it a lot because it's very lemmony and it also happens to last a bit longer than the regular version and it's somewhat "creamier and waxier" while remaining very clean.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I don't know the two you mention, but it is possible to make a sprayable perfume where the alcohol is replaced by a type of silicone oil called cyclomethicone and I would guess that is what they are: in that case they will be alcohol free as that is the main point of using it. Cyclomethicone is quite widely used in cosmetics, evaporates quickly - though not as quickly as alcohol - and does not tend to dry the skin: some people prefer it for that reason.
    Hello,
    can we use Cyclomethicone for Eau De Toilette spray? it can be usable only for body spray? i heard that Cyclomethicone can stain some fabrics and we should Be careful of it on certain clothes or linens. if that is the case is there any other carriers which we can use in sprayable perfume in place of alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like

burberry makes a version of "baby touch" that is alcohol free

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    CB I Hate Perfume's spray fragrances:

"Q: What are the ingredients in CB Perfume?
    A: The ingredients in all CB Absolutes are: Diisoproply Adipate (extracted from Beet Juice) and Fragrance. The Ingredients in all CB Water Perfumes & CB HOME Sprays are: Distilled Water, Fragrance, PPG-26 Buteth-26, PEG-40 and Hydrogenated Castor Oil. No specially denatured alcohol is used in ANY CB Perfume."

From the FAQ page:

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/about-perfume.html
    Bumping this thread because I'm curious about this CB I Hate Perfumes guy. He says he is selling "perfume absolutes" or at least thats what he calls his wearable fragrances. When I think of absolutes, I think of fragrance oils created by solvent extraction. I also have listened closely to many sources that say do not put absolutes directly on your skin. To me, it sounds like he is using absolute for marketing purposes, not for representing true absolutes.

Can anyone tell me what he is doing here and what Diisopropyl Adipate is? To me it seems like he is calling an oil (as opposed to alcohol) based fragrance an "absolute" and using Diisopropyl Adipate to dilute it since it doesn't seem to face the spoiling issues with natural oils like coconut, etc., instead of selling a mixture of pure fragrance oils.

Finally, does anyone have any thoughts on this guys stuff? He seems to be a bit of a diva and a friend asked me for my thoughts. I thought I'd come to basenotes before giving her a response that isn't accurate. Thanks in advance!

treeman5823

CB I Hate Perfumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Le Labo have oil-based versions of their line.

Quote Originally Posted by ksennish View Post
    Finally, does anyone have any thoughts on this guys stuff? He seems to be a bit of a diva and a friend asked me for my thoughts. I thought I'd come to basenotes before giving her a response that isn't accurate. Thanks in advance!
    I Hate Perfume is fantastic stuff. Brosius is a colorful figure for sure, but he's also making perfumes that are genuinely unlike anything else out there; he's really pushing the boundaries of what is considered "perfume." For example, Black March is one of the most amazing/surprising scents I've ever smelled: it's the exact scent you get on your hands after dipping them in a shallow forest stream, a powerfully loamy dirt / fungoid / vegetal / mineralic smell. And Burning Leaves is exactly what it sounds like: the smell of maple leaves burning in a bonfire. Not everyone's cup of tea, but if you like this kind of thing, you'll REALLY like I Hate Perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by ksennish View Post
    Bumping this thread because I'm curious about this CB I Hate Perfumes guy. He says he is selling "perfume absolutes" or at least thats what he calls his wearable fragrances. When I think of absolutes, I think of fragrance oils created by solvent extraction. I also have listened closely to many sources that say do not put absolutes directly on your skin. To me, it sounds like he is using absolute for marketing purposes, not for representing true absolutes.

Can anyone tell me what he is doing here and what Diisopropyl Adipate is? To me it seems like he is calling an oil (as opposed to alcohol) based fragrance an "absolute" and using Diisopropyl Adipate to dilute it since it doesn't seem to face the spoiling issues with natural oils like coconut, etc., instead of selling a mixture of pure fragrance oils.
    CB doesn't use alcohol in his fragrances, so water and Diisopropyl Adipate are his carriers of choice.

I have three of his "absolutes." They are not true absolutes, as in vanilla absolute, which you wouldn't want on your skin because it smells awful and might bring out at rash, etc. Rather, CB's absolutes are more concentrated versions of his water based perfumes. This marketing term is used by Dior and others as well, e.g. Fahrenheit Absolute.

I have only smelled the three I bought blind because CB doesn't do samples. From what I've smelled and read so far, CB's perfumes are much more accords than proper perfumes. He is good at capturing literal smells, but not necessarily abstract fragrances that are truly wearable.

Black March is an odd (and I would say genius) literal depiction of a rain soaked spring day. I smell it on paper on very rare occasions when I miss rural New York. But I never, ever wear it.

If your friend likes the idea of quirky or nostalgic smells, by all means visit. Never blind buy these.

Diva? From his interviews, I'd wager "yes."
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 7th May 2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Boutique has seven alcohol-free Spray Oils available: Aventus, Silver Mountain Water, Orange Spice, Millesime Imperial, Love in White and two of my favorites, Spring Flower and Acqua Fiorentina.

- - - Updated - - -

CB Black March sounds awesome. I wonder how silage is.

Quote Originally Posted by NineInchNell View Post
    CB Black March sounds awesome. I wonder how silage is.
    If I'm up to the challenge, I'll try to put some on tomorrow and drop a line here.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Well, that was easy! Black March absolute wears close to the skin, so a person would have to get rather close to you to smell it. Longevity is OK.
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 9th May 2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS