Code of Conduct

Default How could you possibly wear Frapin 1697?

I've just had the chance to sample Frapin 1697, thanks to a very generous BNer!!

First of all, this is the most complex fragrance I've ever smelled in terms of how much it changes and drifts from initial application to drydown. From an initial blast (and I mean blast) of really boozy rum, which for me is almost unsniffable. 1697 is on par with Secretions Magnifique for unsniffable-ness, at least at the start.

After about an hour it becomes a nicer. Very unique blend of spices and dried fruit with a tad of vanilla to support. I think that the best bit of this fragrance is the oak-woodsy smell that I detect here. Really nicely done!

But my question is... with this scent being so realistically boozy, how could you ever wear it?

Default Re: How could you possibly wear Frapin 1697?

Its "complexity" doesn't seem to bother me a bit. I find it quite wearable, but that's just me.

Maybe it's just my skin but after 1697 settled, it just smelled like suntan lotion. I found 1270 to better suit me.
    - Expect the unexpected

yeah i think 1270 is a better (and cheaper) option as well for me.

I found the same dirtiness in it which is there in MKK - I would never wear it.

I've been looking for a decant or sample of this for a while (I don't feel like getting pillaged on the TPC for a tiny atomizer spray). They had a user selling small decants on a Japanese auction site for a pretty decent price, but when I got around to going to buy it, the listing had disappeared. If the same generous member would be willing to send another, or anyone actually, I'd be quite willing to swap, or in some way compensate them for their time/trouble. If anyone is game, or can point me in the right direction PM me.

P.S. I might not have any frags that are super interesting to swap decants with, but I can always send odd/unique/delicious Japanese (outside of the fragrance spectrum I mean) stuff too.
    Last edited by Partario; 24th August 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Its just another perfume to me. Or just another Frapin. I dont see how it is unsniffable.

for swap/sale:

Glad it tested you, Charlie. But as unsniffable as SM? Get yourself to an ENT doctor - NOW! Lol

I dont get a rum smell, I get a neat whisky/brandy smell upon application, but this dies down within 5 minutes when a lovely, fruity smell comes in. I really like it, but as someone who has had a long love affair with the odd tipple, perhaps I would...
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Its just another perfume to me. Or just another Frapin. I dont see how it is unsniffable.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Most people that buy Niche, buy it because their a collector or enjoy wearing unique scents although everyone around them may not like it. Majority of women love Designer frags, because they are strong and sometimes really synthetic, cheap to make, and smell real good. Versus majority of Niche scents are complex, natural ingredients, nice bottles, and don't project worth a damn. If you want to be noticed, go designer or cheap niche. But wear what you enjoy.
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 24th August 2011 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    After the initial 45mins (during which I started this thread) it was quite nauseating for me, in the same sharp/shrill way that Secretions Magnifique is. After that, yeah, I think it's actually quite nice and more wearable than before. Not my cup of tea but it's certainly well made.

Frapin 1697 is a gorgeous perfume. I sprayed myself liberally with it yesterday and fell in love with this scent.
    The signiture of Bertrand Duchaufor is more than obvious.

It's very wearable and very masculine. And it's not sweet.

The closest perfume is Jubiliation XXV. The main difference - Frapin 1697 does not have incense in it.

I prefer Frapin 1697 to Jubiliation XXV.
    Both - 1697 and 1270 - are cognac scents.
    I prefer 1697 to 1270 because it's less sweet and very luxurious.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 24th August 2011 at 06:47 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I'm wearing this today from a sample and I really like it. Yeah the top notes are boozy but it only lasted about 15 minutes on me. After that I get a very complex woody scent with hints of vanilla. Very nice.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Bumping this because I am re-exploring boozy scents. I am loving my PdE Ambre Russe.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

really want to sample 1697.

No love for this frags eh ?.

Scrubber. Very boozy and busy opening. Very odd smell - not approaching anything that I want to smell or smell like.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste