Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Carlos Santana..

This literally smelled like cardboard, and literally like nothing, I am serious. I got this from Tuccini and it looked very new and the bottle is like pristine smooth and everything so I doubt its a fake. It just smells like nothing! Complete genericism. Sorry am I missing something?

Default Re: Carlos Santana..

In fact, this is the WORST fragrance that I've smelled in the WORLD. I am very angry of this blind buy...so much praise for it here on BN, when I received it and sprayed it it literally smells like just regular old-fashioned musk, hardly has any projection, and smells no cinnamon or vanilla candy at ALL. What went wrong? I am so infuriated

I agree.... I bought it because of the high praise on here and it’s absolute garbage. Thankfully it was inexpensive.

did you get EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    did you get EDC?
    I did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    I did.
    I got the same one in the mail today and could hardly smell anything after three sprays on one arm. I smelled a hint of vanilla but it's clearly not a powerhouse in terms of notes , or longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    This literally smelled like cardboard, and literally like nothing...
    Sounds like you had olfactory fatigue or you are used to frags like Rochas Man. I found the drydown to be generic and lacking in dynamism, but pleasant. I will give it at least one more chance before dismissing it as a waste of time, though.

I got mine in the mail today as well. I literally was extremely, extremely pissed when I smelled this. It seriously smells worse than a drugstore scent..in fact, Stetson drugstore cologne is 100x better easily than this. There is no distinctive quality or vanilla/cinnamon in this. I hate it! I only paid a small amount for it too but still...it is total trash.

I think the issue is that people are misguided in ascertaining what smells good. How in the hell could this absolute generic fragrance smell nice or cinnamon-like? I smelled nothing..nothing...again I tried again and to no avail. This is horrible! An affront to all fragrances and my money. I can only rely on a few people now to suggest what's good for a blind buy.

I think the issue is that people are misguided in ascertaining what smells good. How in the hell could this absolute generic fragrance smell nice or cinnamon-like? I smelled nothing..nothing...again I tried again and to no avail. This is horrible! An affront to all fragrances and my money. I can only rely on a few people now to suggest what's good for a blind buy.
    This is what happens when you make purchases based on other peoples opinions. It didn't work for Horizon, and now it hasn't worked here. I can only hope you've learned your lesson and won't do this again for more expensive fragrances like DHI, L'Instant Extreme, etc. You can't rely on anyone but yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    This is what happens when you make purchases based on other peoples opinions. It didn't work for Horizon, and now it hasn't worked here. I can only hope you've learned your lesson and won't do this again for more expensive fragrances like DHI, L'Instant Extreme, etc. You can't rely on anyone but yourself.
    Hhahaha.. Good point but given how cheap a 100mL bottle is price, it might be cheaper to actually buy it than get a sample.

It's a blind buy, no force on earth can predict how you're going to react to it no matter who suggests you buy it. I always thought that was the point of the exercise. You know, that whole surprise thing? Oh, and sounds like you just got an old bottle. The one I have doesn't exactly reek of cinnamon but it's definitely in there strong enough to remind me that I don't really like my smellies to smell like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    Hhahaha.. Good point but given how cheap a 100mL bottle is price, it might be cheaper to actually buy it than get a sample.
    True... I just don't want him to start a similar thread 6 months from now for Tobacco Vanile or Aventus.

I won't as I hear JSMA is an amazing fragrance that replaces TV. So can't wait for that. But, granted, santana SUCKS!!

AromiErotici

This must be "people" who like Santana I presume?

Just hit my ankle with one spray, so that I can check it out every now and then. Strong lavender at first that dissipates quickly, though it's still clearly present several minutes later. I'm not getting much spice now, but rather the lavender along with a fruity quality and a faint wood note. I'll post back if and when it changes or weakens considerably.

^Who cares about it. Jettison it completely. I am now excited for JSMA. Now THIS, I have a feeling won't be a put-down. But others better help.

AromiErotici

Send it to me slick. I'll wear it.

I tried it again. It's not terrible but it's not great. I definitely smell lavender and vanilla. Not bad for twenty bucks. However, I did have to spray three times on my arm.

JSMA?

This is...??

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

This literally smelled like cardboard, and literally like nothing, I am serious.
    Not a good one at all IMO.

As a proponent of the blind buy my advice is 1) to pay more attention to what is said in the negative reviews 2) learn whose tastes yours match up with and whose suggestions you can rely on and 3) check robes08's reviews on youtube--he has a lot of experience but maintains modern standards and a balanced approach to niche and designer.

So when you think back on Horizon and Carlos Santana try to remember who recommended it to you and what genre each perfume falls into (type, decade, price, perfumier, etc.). In the future, ignore or take with a grain of salt that person's suggestions, and be leery of fragrances with similar attributes.

Also, fragrantica is very good in that if you look up one fragrance, it will give you a list of other fragrances that people who like that fragrance also like.....so it gives you an overall idea of the type of taste to whom that frag might appeal...for example, if you look up Horizon, you'll see that people who like Horizon also like Quorom, Eau Sauvage and Drakkar Noir, etc....if those aren't frags that appeal to you, then chances are Horizon won't either, and you may want to sample first in that case.

Blind buying well is a skill whose payoff is risk, anticipation, surprise, and satisfaction. As you begin to approach high priced perfumes, its thrills (and agonies) increase tenfold. However, it is a skill that must be honed through various techniques and methods of research. It can not be pursued haphazardly or willy nilly.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    JSMA?

This is...??
    Someone give the good news for this acronym

(Btw Blind Buy, thank you for the lengthy advice - I'll be sure to check more negative reviews and such in diligence)

The lavender seems to be making a comeback. It' simple though not bad, but the lavender note may be too strong for my tastes, at least at this point.

Is it Jil Sander Man Absolute? The same one you pitted against Dior Homme Intense?

Now it seems to be evening out, or else I'm just getting used to the lavender. I may be getting a bit more of the wood note as well.

The Dudester saga continues.....

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    True... I just don't want him to start a similar thread 6 months from now for Tobacco Vanile or Aventus.
    God Almighty, I hope not. That is way too much money... . KMF, do your best to guide young scholar into Fahrenheit Absolute territory. The early/mid nighties stuff will not work for him, that I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Just hit my ankle with one spray, so that I can check it out every now and then...
    You and your ankle spraying.....

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    JSMA?

This is...??
    Jil Sander Man Absolute. Yes, you got it. And yes, it will be a blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The lavender seems to be making a comeback. It' simple though not bad, but the lavender note may be too strong for my tastes, at least at this point.
    Wowzers, lavender is like Kryptonite to you. Thank goodness for cheap vodka
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I am wondering if Carlos Santana is discontinued and people are getting bad bottles. My bottle of appauling as well, and I could say probably one of the worst fragrances I have tried. It just smelled like alcohol.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

AromiErotici

Not mine folks. Mine smells pretty damn good and if it didn't, I'd be sure to say something about it. Citrus, lavender, a vague apple note, a little cedar and musk.

Reading this thread made me spritz. It's g2g and lasts about 3 hours on my skin. Love it for the price and it's an economical work frag for sure.