Code of Conduct

Default Desperately Seeking Spring Fever Replacement

Hi all - I hope it's not gauche to join and immediately post about my special issue, but I'm pretty sure this hasn't been covered in past posts yet.

I have been - scratch that, had been - wearing Origins Spring Fever since I was 15. Luckily I got some warning that they were going to discontinue it and bought several large bottles, but I'm down to my last few drops and I have to say that I'm having a really hard time accepting that I'm never going to be able to find that fragrance again. I feel like I won't ever smell like myself again! I know, that's over the top, but anyway, I'm having some severe separation anxiety.

Can anyone suggest something that might be a good substitute? I am not as experienced in fragrance vocabulary as some of you, but I would describe what I liked about Spring Fever as: clean, citrusy, light, natural, and not-floral.

Based on some back posts I did try Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, and I do like it a lot and will probably get some, but I'm interested in getting some more leads on scents in this family. It also seems like I might want to try Banana Republic Classic and Clinique Happy, and perhaps some of the Guerlain Acqua Allegorias - am I on the right track?

Anyway, I'd be abjectly grateful for your recommendations. Thanks for fielding a newbie question!

Default Re: Desperately Seeking Spring Fever Replacement

The Guerlain AAs are definitely a good idea (I don't know the BR scent or Happy), esp. Mandarine-basilic, Pamplemousse and Herba Fresca. From Hermes you could also try Eau d'Orange Verte. You could also test Dior Escale a Pondichery.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with Spring Fever, but having looked up reviews and notes, it seems you've done the math correctly to focus on Guerlain's AAs. Citrusy, zesty, herbal green, with artemesia and linden? Sounds nice.

As these things go, you probably won't quite be able to scratch your itch with exactness, but you'll like encounter new pleasures, and so the journey becomes the pleasure. Hope you enjoy it.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Thanks to both of your responses. You hit the nail on the head about which of the Guerlain AA's are up my alley. I like all 3 you suggested but I am leaning towards the mandarin-basilic. And bonsai, excellent suggestion re: Escale de Pondicherry! It is not as "citrusy" as I thought I was looking for, but it's really light and lovely. If you have any other suggestions, let me know, as I think I like your taste!

Ok, I give it another try, but these will be in the more expensive category since I'm out of ideas in the drugstore range:

The Different Company - Bergamote (a very nice bergamot scent)
    Parfumerie Generale - Harmatan Noir (in case you enjoyed the black tea side of Escale a Pondichery. Even more black tea and some smokiness)
    Annick Goutal - Mandragore (another nice scent with bergamot)
    Frederic Malle - Cologne Bigarade (a classical cologne with bitter orange, albeit it smells more like lemon to my nose)

Eau de Guerlain and Eau de Rochas are also citrus-based and receive a lot of love but I am not really familiar with them.

Good luck!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Frederica, welcome to Basenotes!

I agree with the Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune suggestion, very nice citrus. Also, with the Escale a Pondichery and Escale a Portofino by Dior and the Eau de Guerlain suggestion, I really like all of them. 2 not mentioned that are terrific are Eau de Cartier and Eau de Chanel. I was really surprised by the Eau de Cartier and would highly suggest you try it, I think it's longer lasting than the 2 Diors or the Pamplelune. I would suggest getting decants so you can try them, unless you have access to a store that sells them so you can try them. The Perfumed Court or Posh Peasant offer decants of all the above fragrances. Annick Goutal Eau de Hadrien and Fresh Citron de Vigne are 2 other possibilities. I hope you can find one that you like.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 1st September 2011 at 03:54 PM.

I have been able to try out a number of fragrances so far with samples prepared by Nordstrom associates; I really appreciate that service as I don't feel that smelling it once on a card is sufficient to figure out if I love it on myself. But I also live in Portland (OR), and I just found out about The Perfume House. I am pretty excited about it, and I plan to fling myself on their expert advice this weekend. I am imagining they can do decants, and in any case if they're as good as their reputation, I may find myself willing to buy on the spot.

But in any case, based on advice I found on Basenotes, I'm wearing Un Jardin sur le Nil today, and I *love* it! So already, I'm grateful for the help.

I too am a sad and disappointed Spring Fever fan. It's the only fragrance I have ever loved. I have 2/3 of a bottle of the perfume and 1/3 of a jar of the Body Souffle left. I am nursing it! My search for a replacement took me to L'Occitane en Provence after I tried one of their shower gels at a hotel once. They have a Verbena line that is similar to Spring Fever. It lacks some of the grassy notes that Spring Fever had but has the citrus notes and a nice light fragrance. The Verbena line also does NOT have musk which is something that I don't like about most other fragrances. The one I thought was closest to Spring Fever was the Citrus Verbena Summer one but they are all quite nice - though still missing something that Spring Fever had. Check them out if you have a store in your area and let me know what you think.

Let's keep the pressure up on Origins to reinstate Spring Fever though. There is an iPetitions thread on it that you can add your comments to. Let's hope against the big money machine of L'Oreal.

Thanks all for your ongoing input. 604 Jen, let's collaborate on this effort...I strongly encourage you to check out Un Jardin Sur La Nil if you haven't already. And I also like the verbena direction, even though it's not exactly the same as Spring Fever. I've been trying out Jo Malone Verbenas of Provence. At first I found it too simple, but it's actually grown on me quite a lot (could be body chemistry, though). However, your tip about Citrus Verbena Summer sounds delightful and I'll try to track it down.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The L'Occitane limited edition from 2010 was called Verbena Summer Secret (this is not the same as the Citrus Verbena Summer.) It had notes of green apple and basil, and mint.

My daughter is quite fond of it-- I made her a large decant from my bottle.

Hi Frederica,
    I will seek out Un Jardin Sur La Nil. I live in Canada and high end stuff is not as readily available here but I think I know a store that might have it. I get over the border once or twice a year, so will keep looking if not. I tried something today by Lollia called Believe or Cabbage Rose and Limone. It had similar high notes in the bottle to Spring Fever and I thought I was on to something but the dry down was way sweeter and more floral - still not it. I had the name of the parent company for Origins in my first post wrong. It's not L'Oreal but Estee Lauder - ooops. In any case, I fired off an email to Estee Lauder today and brought their attention to the iPetitions site. This has become a renewed obsession for me since I found this online community of other disappointed fans!
    Thanks and take care.

Hi 604 Jen - I saw Un Jardin Sur La Nil in the duty-free store of the Vancouver Int'l Airport, so you could always schedule a trip just to get access?

I checked out l'Occitaine and didn't find Citrus Verbena quite right for me, but I did love the round, citrusy notes of their normal Verbena. However, it hardly even lasts 2 hours, so I'm still searching for a more permanent replacement. I just got a tip to check out Thymes Naia, and I see they have it on Amazon.com (don't know about Amazon.ca), so I'll check it out and report back.

Thanks, Frederica. I am in Vancouver! I found Un Jardin Sur La Nil at Holt Renfrew (the highest end department store in Canada!) just today. I put some tester on and bought a gift set with a large bottle, a small travel bottle and a trial size body lotion. They have a 14 day return policy so it was no risk. I liked it initially but since wearing it around all day I find it definitely has a musky drydown. As I said before, I can't stand musk and will detect any hint of it if it is there. Sorry to say, it's going back. I will see if Holts has Thymes Naia but like you, the search goes on for a permanent replacement. I agree that the L'Occitaine has no staying power but at least, for me, smelling nothing is better than smelling musk! In any case, glad you tried it. At the store, they recommended layering it with the shower gel, body lotion and EDT. I was like "why don't you just make the fragrance stronger?". Oh, yeah, gotta sell more product...btw, got the stock form letter back from Estee Lauder regarding my complaint! Not sure if it is worth pursuing. I think I saw Jo Malone at Holts so I'll check out that Verbenas of Provence. Thanks for all your leads.
    Take care, Jen

Sorry, Jen - I must not be as sensitive to musk as you or I would have warned you.

I almost liked Thymes Naia, and it was definitely in the same family, but for me it lacked the citrus freshness, and there was a slight chemical/floral edge that turned me off.

Thanks, Frederica.

I saw on their website that the Thymes fragrances have musk and based on your review, I think I'll stay away. Interestingly, I was at my local Origins counter today (I harass the poor sales staff about Spring Fever every time I am there - and they reiterated "no word of it being brought back"). I happened to try the Gloomaway body spray based on a review I read on the Origins website that the Gloomaway Body Souffle was an acceptable substitute for Spring Fever. As it dried down, I actually did get a few hints of some of the old notes from Spring Fever! It was no way near as complex and was a bit sweeter than Spring Fever but not in a floral-sweet way, more of a citrus-sweet. This is definitely the closest thing I have ever found! I had tried it once before and didn't get this hit but today I did so I think I'm going to get some. It is a fairly weak fragrance and would need frequent refreshing but it is sold in a large bottle.

Finally got to the Perfume House. It was fantastic - after smelling what was left of my Spring Fever (which I saved for just this occasion), they brought me ten or so that were clearly in the same family. It was hard to weed things out, but in the end the following four were the ones that spoke to me most, and I am trying samples of them over the next few weeks:

Miller Harris - Citron Citron
    L'Artisan - Thé Pour un Été
    Lanvin - Éclat d'Arpège
    Caron - Eaux de Caron Pure

None is identical to what I liked about SF, but they all capture something of the citrus/fresh/clean combination, at least for me. Jen, some of them list musk as a minor note, so naturally you will want to check it out for yourself.

Interestingly, I didn't love Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien, as I had expected to based on reviews. It was citrusy, certainly, but a little bit sweet and simple for my tastes.

The woman who was helping me used a term for one of them (unfortunately, I forget which) that was new to me - she described it as a "marine fragrance - very clean and fresh." I might explore this direction in the future.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interestingly, I didn't love Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien, as I had expected to based on reviews. It was citrusy, certainly, but a little bit sweet and simple for my tastes.
    Small wonder; Eau d'Hadrien was reformulated during the past couple of years and many of the reviews are for the earlier version. I find the new version boring.

Just a note, for those of you playing along (primarily Jen, I think) - I didn't end up caring for any of those four I got at the Perfume House. I'm going to try a citrus sampler from The Perfumed Court, and I'll report back.
    Last edited by Frederica; 12th June 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks, Frederica. It's a really frustrating search isn't it? I had a soap from Miller Harris called Fleur de Matin from a hotel once which was pretty close to Spring Fever. Unfortunately, I see Miller Harris has discontinued this particular scent from their line as well! It was a similarly citrusy, grassy, not too-floral, fresh-smelling scent. That brand is not available to test anywhere in my area but if I had access to their line, I would be interested in seeing what their scents are like. Based on that one scent, there might be hope there. I thought it was interesting that you didn't like the Citron Citron one though as that was the one I would have been most interested in trying. Good luck with the next set. Hope your next post reports back success!
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are the notes available for the Spring Fever?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Sisley Eau de Campagne? Fresh, grassy citrus with a green tomato stem note. Lovely stuff

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI, there is a seller with 6 available .5 oz bottles of Spring Fever on eBay.
    Jessica spies a fairy: "You smell awesome, what are you?"

--True Blood

Hi Kumquat, there is an old profile in the Basenotes directory here, but I'm not sure I agree. I'm not schooled in perfume vocabulary, but I'd call it citrusy, grassy, not floral, perhaps some verbena. Maybe some apple. No musk, no heavy florals, and the citrus is light but not fruity - my criticism of some of the Guerlain AAs or Jo Malones, for example.

Thanks for the suggestion re: Sisley Eau de Campagne - I'll check it out. Where can Sisley house be found? Is it mainstream enough to be in major department stores?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I take it you're in the States so can't really advise. In the UK it's in middle brow dept stores like House of Fraser. It is uber fresh and zingy.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122421.html

I also thought that Clinique Wrappings might be up your alley. Another herbal none floral fresh green. Available in the States prior to Christmas. Really lovely stuff with a cult following
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210740.html Please don't let the list of florals stop you trying this. It really isn't floral at all but a fresh herbal scent
    Last edited by Alityke; 13th June 2012 at 07:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm pasting it in here for easy reference;
    Notes: Artemesia, Apple, Marigold and Linden Blossom, Mandarin, Cypress and Watermelon.

You may like to try DeRae-Debut
    Debut Notes
    Bergamot, lime, green leaves, ylang-ylang, lily of the valley, linden blossom, vetiver, sandalwood and musk

Here is another description:
    With conquering top notes of artemisia, apple, marigold and linden, this Origins women's perfume releases fresh and sweet accords of floral rush. The heart of this Origins eau de toilette is composed of tangy mandarin, lush cypress and sparkling watermelon which tickle your senses with their fruity splash. The Origins Spring Fever completes its aura with base notes of sandalwood, amber and vanilla that cling to your skin for long lasting effect. And, most important to me, not a hint of musk!
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You might like Chanel no19, just for fun, try Beige, if you can find a sample. I think it may appeal to you.

Frederica - if you live near an Anthropologie, see if you can try the "A Rather Novel Collection Fragrance". The one called Hamarikyu Gardens is actually along the lines of Spring Fever and quite nice. It's not as complex as Spring Fever and a doesn't have SF's high notes but it's nice. It's got a bit of musk in it, I think, but if you don't use too much of the fragrance, it's pretty subtle. I have the stick version but I believe they also make a perfume. Here's a link to their online store and the product: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/093501.jsp
    Jen

You are all marvelous - I've located decant/sample sources for Clinique Wrappings, Eau de Campagne, and DelRae Debut. We have an Anthropologie shop in town so I'll stop by soon - hopefully they'll have it in stock. Will report back!

Bonsai, if you're still tracking this thread, did you mean Eau de Rochas (women), or Eau de Rochas pour Homme?

Hi

I have been reading this with interest as I have just last week found a fragrance in the UK whcih to me is extremely similar to Spring Fever. I too was a big fan and was very sad that they stopped making it.

I happened upon this fragrance totally by chance last week and was bowled over by how much it reminded me of Spring Fever. I live in the seaside city of Brighton and they have a small independent fragrance shop called Pecksniffs, which is I think is one of the last independent UK fragrance house. The fragrance is a 'mood' fragrance and comes in a body cologne, body lotion, body wash and candle. It is called 'Alive'.

Here is a link to the product:http://www.pecksniffs.com/mood-thera...e-body-cologne

You can see from the link the it is made up of rosemary, bay, orange, grapefruit and mandarin (sorry don't know the proper technical terms!)

From what I remember spring fever to smell like, I think it is is extremely similar! They do ship to Europe and US it says on their website, which is a bit pricey, but the cologne is only £15 which I think is a bargain.

Hope this is useful!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A thoughtful first post, dollyo! Welcome to Basenotes!

Thank you!

On a whim I stopped into L'Occitaine again, and was quite pleased with their new Eau Universelle - bergamot + citrus seems to be the real sweet spot for me. I liked it so much I picked it up, even though I'm sure it will last about two hours like their verbena fragrance. But hey, I might be willing to carry a small spray vial in my purse...anybody got a recommendation for a vial that won't spill in my purse?

Also, dollyo, I've learned that it's too risky to buy a whole size of something without trying it first. I don't suppose I could offer to trade you a sample of the Pecksniff's Alive for a sample of something you have a hard time getting your hands on?

A couple of updates: I really love the Annick Goutal Mandragore - thank you bonsai for the tip. I just finished my sample and am buying a full size soon.

Also, I finally got to Anthropologie to check out Hamarikyu Gardens per 604 Jen's recommendation. She's right - I do like it! Not surprising given the notes they describe: "green tea-inspired, featuring sweetened lemon and bergamot zest, verbena and the softest amber." They seemed to be on their way out - very few left, tucked away in the corner, and the staff didn't know what I was talking about. It seems like Anthropologies mostly does one-time runs of all their products, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't continue to offer it. It was a very subtle scent, and it fades fast, so it's not perfect. But I grabbed two just as a fun addition to the growing bergamot/verbena/citrus library of scents I seem to be amassing.

Has anyone tried Mandragore Pourpre? The description intrigues me: "Aromatic, cyprus, spicy (bergamot, mint, star anis, rosemary from Spain, geranium, black pepper, patchouli leaf, myrtle from Morocco, incense, heliotrope)."

- - - Updated - - -

Looking for a place to buy Mandragore, I found this listing from ThePerfumeSpot on Amazon. 3.4 oz EDT for less than half of what I've seen it listed elsewhere. Should I be concerned it's counterfeit or otherwise not legit?
    Last edited by Frederica; 11th August 2012 at 06:49 AM.

Red face Re: Desperately Seeking Spring Fever Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by dollyo View Post
    Hi

I have been reading this with interest as I have just last week found a fragrance in the UK whcih to me is extremely similar to Spring Fever. I too was a big fan and was very sad that they stopped making it.

I happened upon this fragrance totally by chance last week and was bowled over by how much it reminded me of Spring Fever. I live in the seaside city of Brighton and they have a small independent fragrance shop called Pecksniffs, which is I think is one of the last independent UK fragrance house. The fragrance is a 'mood' fragrance and comes in a body cologne, body lotion, body wash and candle. It is called 'Alive'.

Here is a link to the product:http://www.pecksniffs.com/mood-thera...e-body-cologne

Hi, I was googling to find Spring Fever replacement and came across to this thread. After I read your post, I ordered Pecisniffs' Alive cologne and body lotion and I really like it! It's quite similar to Spring Fever! The only down point is the scent fades away quite fast, but I prefer light cologne to heavy perfume and the price is reasonable, so it's acceptable. Thank you for sharing the information!

The super good news is that Spring Fever is coming back as one of this winter's holiday products, but they'll said it will be only roll-on bottle and quite limited! Really wish they would sell in full-sized bottle...

I found this thread while I was googling to find Spring Fever; I have been buying it from Ebay for a few years, I have 3 bottles left, but no one is selling it recently on Ebay. I find that because these bottles are very old stock the scent is not as crisp as I remember it from my years of wearing what I bought at the Origins store. But it's similar. I will be trying some of the above suggestions, I started by ordering from scent matchers , have not received it yet.

I can't believe Origins is not considering bringing it back permanently since people love it so much; I have tried the Ginger scent from Origins, I like it but do not love it.

thanks for all the good suggestions above, I can't wait to sample some of them.

Finally I just bought my new Spring Fever at an Origins counter at a Macys! Its back in a roll on form, and its wonderful! For all of us who have been waiting, its truly a Christmas present early! So go searching, it may not be for long, but its back for now in a very small roll on...but it smells WONDERFUL!

Smile Re: Desperately Seeking Spring Fever Replacement

I am so glad to hear that the Spring Fever roll on is out !! what good news !!
    thanks for the heads up !!
    I'm definitely going to go stock up ; although I must say roll on was never my
    favourite thing to use.

Not mine either but I am so deliriously happy to have a fresh application of Spring Fever I will take what they give us! :-) I confess to turning my wrist up to breathe in that fragance several times today! I was very surprised at the difference between the new current stock and the quality of the very last of my sad spray bottle...definitely has lost its punch over the time I have been waiting! But doing the happy dance tonite!

Indeed, I will take what I can get, I predict I will be rolling this on my wrists a lot !!! I am going to the mall sunday so definitely will head to the Origins counter; I noticed on the Macy's website that the roll on was sold as a set of 3 scents, Spring Fever being one of them, did they sell the SF roll on separately, how many did you get ?
    thanks in advance, Michele

They are selling the set of the Ginger, Gloomaway and Spring Fever, but i really only like the Spring Fever but you can get the SpringFever separate from the set. I bought 4 roll ons from that store. BTW they are very small! My plan is to buy a few from several places so as not to be a selfish person and take too many so nobody else can get them....I am just afraid they may not continue them so I want to have a stash over the next couple of months I plan to build one! :-)

thanks for your response; I'll try to be nice also and not take everything they have in Boca !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Boca Town Center's Origins store did not have the roll ons in stock yet !!

I am so sorry to hear that....have you found it yet?

What about Hermes' Eau des Merveilles? You might like that as well. Salty/citrus/woody.

I'm back in Canada now and will return to Florida next week, I'll keep looking for the roll-ons, Macy's only has the trio on their website. When I was in Florida, I received the 3 bottles of the original Spring Fever I had found on EBay months ago, it's a delight to have the spray, like I said it's old stock and is slightly different than the fresh ones, but it's still very nice and familiar.
    Ebay has not had any Spring Fever offerings in months, I keep hoping it will resurface again. thanks Twitchly, I'll sample the hermes and see if I like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Good news, the Spring Fever roll on is now on the Macy's website, individual, not part of the trio of other scents. I ordered 6 !!

- - - Updated - - -

Good news, the Spring Fever roll on is now on the Macy's website, individual, not part of the trio of other scents. I ordered 6 !!

I received Scentmatchers version of Spring Fever and I'm not in love with it, it lacks the crispness of SF, I can't quite identify what I dislike about it. It was worth a try I guess.

Stand-alone roll ons no longer available on the Macy's, Dillard's, or Origins websites. I was waiting to go in person, and now I may have missed out entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by Frederica View Post
    Stand-alone roll ons no longer available on the Macy's, Dillard's, or Origins websites. I was waiting to go in person, and now I may have missed out entirely...
    Go to an ORigins store they have them in stock.......

I bought quite a few of the rollerballs but as I said above , I'm not a fan of using those, I can't seem to get enough scent on me. I opened the roller balls and poured them in a small atomizer I had, it smells just like the original spray version. It makes it expensive since I'm wasting the roller ball container but it's such a treat to spritz myself fully with SF.