Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default The 'sweet' sandalwoods

I have been quietly exploring many different sandalwood fragrances for the past year - prompted by my acquisition of some 'real' Mysore sandalwood oil (Montale) and I'm having a lot of fun figuring out which ones appeal to me and which ones don't.

One thing that has surprised me is that I am recently drawn toward the sweeter ones - which normally are harder to wear here in South Florida but perhaps because it's sandalwood it seems to balance out the sweetness nicely.

Ones that I have sampled and like are:

Egoiste and Egoiste Concentree by Chanel - the Concentree is just the bomb, isn't it? This one comes right up to the line of comfortableness for me, if I over apply just one too many sprays it gets gross, but if I restrain myself and go light I am rewarded with that wonderful candied, rosewood, fruity sandalwood. Oh and one more thing: I smell very little rose in Egoiste - I keep waiting for my nose to 'get' the rose note but it's lost in amongst all of the other accords.

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens - I hated this when I first tried it (fenugreek!?...ugh!) but more recently I wore it on a very hot afternoon (from a tester) in Georgetown DC and then went off to get a massage and I swear the smell of this fragrance wafting all around me during the massage was magical. I quickly bought a large decant of this and every time I wear it now I experience something new. There is a creaminess to the sandalwood that is intensified in this one, that sort of reminds me of eating a spoonful of plain yogurt, mixed with a modulated syrupy sweetness as if you've drizzled agave nectar into your yogurt before you swallow it. Meditative and foody. Of course if this description grosses you out then most likely the scent will also - which judged by the BN reviews, you won't be alone.

Santalum by Profumum - one drop is all you really need of this one. It's VERY sweet and VERY cinnamon prominent and then the sandalwood comes whooshing in. Not for the faint of heart or for those looking for something easy on the wallet either. And yes, as has been mentioned here on BN before, the vintage (brown juice) is much stronger, deeper and sweeter than the current (light brown juice) stuff on the shelves now. Still, both are bomb-diggity good. Oh and if you over apply this one it smells slightly synthetic. So don't.

Sandalwood by Geo F. Trumper - I used to own a large decant of this many years ago (it was a gift from old BN member supermarky - remember him?) and I remember at the time thinking, 'this is sandalwood!?' because it is so darn sweet. Many people equate this with Egoiste, but in fact the Trumpers has it's own vibe: a virtual pinwheel of sweet, fruity accord swirling along with a wonderfully woody, barbershop base of sandalwood. And, no, it (confusingly) does NOT smell like the Sandalwood Shaving Cream by Geo F. Trumper, but if you shave with the one & then layer with the EdT the combination is fantastic.

Santal 33 by Le Labo - coconut sandalwood! Seriously. This stuff rocks, it's like a tropical fiesta sandalwood. Very gourmand, but nicely done. I only have to put a tiny amount on and it lasts incredibly long. It sticks to fabric like glue, I have gotten a big nose full of this when I'm doing laundry, from a t-shirt I wore more than a week before. I have a large decant bottle en route and I cannot wait until Fall comes to rock this more and more. I think this one would also work great in a nightclub, it has that same sweet/dark/radiant vibe that I sense from Costume National Homme, Black Orchid, etc. Just more sandalwood-y.

Ones that I have sampled and DO NOT like are:

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens - OMG how I hate this stuff. It is the classic example of an over-the-top Serge Lutens fragrance, done wrongly. The juice color, that deep syrupy red, reminds me of acid that runs off a leaky car battery. This should be swallowed, a spoonful at a time, when you are trying to suppress your cough - not sprayed on skin. Blech.

Santal Noble by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - I have come to the conclusion that coffee mixed in with sandalwood just turns my stomach. And yes, I tried vintage juice also. Just no, no, no, no, no.

One that I am on the fence about:

Samsara By Guerlain (vintage EdP or parfum) - I'm afraid of the jasmine, it sort of explodes out of the bottle before it goes into a heavenly sandalwood base (very Mysore sandalwood prominent). Will I wear this if I buy a bottle? I'm not sure.

What other 'sweet' sandalwood fragrances do you like/hate/recommend/etc?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: The 'sweet' sandalwoods

By the way- hoping not to get too off-topic here- am I the only one who noticed a certain "burnt matchstick-sweetness" and/or "burnt sugar-sweetness" in Creed's Original Santal?

I seriously recommend you to try Chergui in its bell jar version. I have sandalwood oil from Mysore (bought by a friend two years ago), which to my mind smells like the real stuff I remember from my teenage days when I continously had this as an essential oil. Last time I had this on my skin I kept thinking for at least an hour 'which fragrance this reminded me of'... until it stroke me... it clearly is Chergui in the bell jar. It is rich in sandalwood oil of the real kind and therefore was reformulated when it joined the Export range IMHO. Do try it!

Off-Scenter

You need to try Praline de Santal. ;-)

Where do you stand on Bois des Iles, Mike? Sounds like a fit to me.

I find Egoiste a bit too much, and I'm not big on Santal Blanc so I suspect we at different ends of the spectrum. I like Santal Noble a lot altho I tend towards simpler stuff. You know Reflection Man is quite sweet (at least that's one facet of it) and sandalwood plays a part in the base - I like it a lot but I've never thought of it as a sandalwood scent . . . might be worth a look if you haven't already.

Not sure if it is sweet enough for you, Mike, but I would be curious to know what you think of AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo's Chillum, tobacco and ginger + sandalwood. It has the tastiest sandalwood I have come across.

(BTW, Mysore is a wonderful city to visit! Go!)
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    By the way- hoping not to get too off-topic here- am I the only one who noticed a certain "burnt matchstick-sweetness" and/or "burnt sugar-sweetness" in Creed's Original Santal?
    I don't get that Ken. No sweetness. I sort of hate it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I seriously recommend you to try Chergui in its bell jar version. I have sandalwood oil from Mysore (bought by a friend two years ago), which to my mind smells like the real stuff I remember from my teenage days when I continously had this as an essential oil. Last time I had this on my skin I kept thinking for at least an hour 'which fragrance this reminded me of'... until it stroke me... it clearly is Chergui in the bell jar. It is rich in sandalwood oil of the real kind and therefore was reformulated when it joined the Export range IMHO. Do try it!
    Well that's news to me, I will definitely do my best to seek out some vintage bell jar juice, although that sounds extremely difficult to source. My 'new' Chergui (from a small decant) is wonderful but I don't go anywhere near it in Summer...it's just TOO much. I find that when I sweat wearing Chergui, the combination makes me a bit light-headed and sort of claustrophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    You need to try Praline de Santal. ;-)
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Where do you stand on Bois des Iles, Mike? Sounds like a fit to me.

I find Egoiste a bit too much, and I'm not big on Santal Blanc so I suspect we at different ends of the spectrum. I like Santal Noble a lot altho I tend towards simpler stuff. You know Reflection Man is quite sweet (at least that's one facet of it) and sandalwood plays a part in the base - I like it a lot but I've never thought of it as a sandalwood scent . . . might be worth a look if you haven't already.
    I like Bois des Iles but I don't think it's 'sweet'. Those aldehydes buzzing all around, the crispness and the floral lift...love all of that. Just doesn't really smell sweet IMO.
    I have a sample of Reflection Man that Joe gave me so I will put that aside & give it my full concentration to see if I 'get' the sandalwood.

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Mike, l love your description of Santal 33; "coconut sandalwood" sounds right up my street! (And l luuurve Black Orchid )

l can't add any suggestions, but l will be watching this thread with interest to see what folks come up with. Samsara is a huge favourite of mine, in fact l'm a little obsessed with it at the moment. Just this week l've acquired bottles of the vintage EDT & EDP, & will be sitting down to compare them soon. l've been spraying my sheets with the modern EDP for a while now, & that sweet, comforting sandalwood drydown is just divine to wake up to!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

My favorite sandalwood is Montale's Santal de Mysore from its confidential collection.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmopolit View Post
    Chillum, tobacco and ginger + sandalwood. It has the tastiest sandalwood I have come across.
    Wow. Yet another one of D. Dubrana's to go on the list His Santalum Album EDT is a lovely reference Mysore but I haven't tried much else where he has used sandalwood in a composition. Thanks for mentioning this.

A few suggestions (sweetness included)

Arpege Pour Homme
    Tricorn by Caswell Massey (sandalwood/amber)
    Biehl Parfumkunstwerke EO01 (a spicy oriental with a strong sandalwood base)
    Bois 1920 Sandalo e The

Caswell Massey also makes another sandalwood based conposition wich I think is simply called "sandalwood". If memory serves me well It's a fresher take on the main theme (something between Guccy Envy for Men and Floris Santal but I may be wrong)
    Last edited by alfarom; 25th August 2011 at 05:00 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Have you ever tried Laura Tonatto's Sandalo per Teti? Sweet sandalwood with orange and a bit of mint on top. Absolutely gorgeous.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Mike, l love your description of Santal 33; "coconut sandalwood" sounds right up my street! (And l luuurve Black Orchid )

l can't add any suggestions, but l will be watching this thread with interest to see what folks come up with. Samsara is a huge favourite of mine, in fact l'm a little obsessed with it at the moment. Just this week l've acquired bottles of the vintage EDT & EDP, & will be sitting down to compare them soon. l've been spraying my sheets with the modern EDP for a while now, & that sweet, comforting sandalwood drydown is just divine to wake up to!
    Yeah, the Le Labo has that same thick sweetness of the TF...and honestly I think sweet coconut scents can sometimes be sort of gross (like Datura Noir by Serge Lutens or Kai), but in Santal 33 it works. As far as Samsara, I am very tempted by the vintage EdP and parfum but what I should probably do is get a sample of the parfum before I go splurging for a whole bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My favorite sandalwood is Montale's Santal de Mysore from its confidential collection.
    Oh hednic, I know, isn't it great. Once my tiny sample is gone I will miss it. Still, I didn't mention it above because it doesn't fall along my current sweet trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmopolit View Post
    Not sure if it is sweet enough for you, Mike, but I would be curious to know what you think of AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo's Chillum, tobacco and ginger + sandalwood. It has the tastiest sandalwood I have come across.

(BTW, Mysore is a wonderful city to visit! Go!)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Wow. Yet another one of D. Dubrana's to go on the list His Santalum Album EDT is a lovely reference Mysore but I haven't tried much else where he has used sandalwood in a composition. Thanks for mentioning this.
    Thank you cosmopolit, I have been considering getting a small vial of the mysore oil he sells so maybe I'll grab a sample of the Chillum too (love the name!..what does it mean?). Still it doesn't sound very sweet. Is it?
    I would LOVE to visit Mysore. One day, one day. I am in awe of the hustle and bustle of that part of the Middle East and IMO some of the men are just jaw droppingly handsome.

-- Jack Kerouac

I personally can't stand Original Santal. I don't get any sandalwood out of it at all, just a sweet mush that disappears in a half hour. It's probably just a skin chemistry issue, though.

One you may want to give a try is Santal Blush by Tom Ford. Neiman Marcus has it in stock- you mentioned Georgetown- try the one at Tyson's Galleria and ask for Nahzi. She took great care of me last time I was up there. Santal Blush is kind of a floral/fruit bomb right out of the gate but soon settles down to a boozy, luxurious Australian sandalwood that I think you may appreciate. It's definitely one to test on the back of your hand in case it ends up as a scrubber for you. Any more than a single spritz is, IMHO, enough to choke a horse.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

nice reviews Mike!

just don't agree with the santal de mysore and Santal Noble reviews (but you already knew it was coming ... Santal de Mysore has a lovely drydown which smells extremely rich in sandalwood. Santal Noble is crude sandalwood bark with sandalwood soapiness.

but, to me, nothing comes close to Villoresi's Epic release - Sandalo. in my mind, that's how sandalwood smells.

Blog Entries

To answer your question Mike, a "chillum" is a type of hashish-smoking pipe. (Aah, my misspent youth! )
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

To answer your question Mike, a "chillum" is a type of hashish-smoking pipe. (Aah, my misspent youth! )

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Chillin' with a chillum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Chillin' with a chillum.
    Not exactly my style LOL

Mike, nice thread. I've never smelled the Egoiste Concentree (hard to find) but I've been getting into Egoiste lately and it's nice.

I can't remember if you tried Creed Santal Imperial or not... It's not super sweet, but has a smokey tonka bean accord around the edges that makes it feel very soft and comfy. The topnotes are very exalting and uplifting-- it's one of those scents where I just can't find the seams of the notes. Very unisex and natural smelling. I suppose it has a lightness to it, but I like it quite a bit.

Hah. I was wondering if that's what the name was referring to, but didn't want to out myself.

+1 Creed Santal Imperial
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

for a good, pure sandalwood sweetness try Creed Bois de Santal
    Keiko Mecheri Bois de Santal is a sweet, floral sandalwood
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Great thread!

Mike, I'm sure you've tried Floris Santal, which is often compared to Gucci Envy (with more of a sandalwood element). I remember it being pretty classy, but the way Floris has been acting lately, I wouldn't be surprised if it was crappily reformulated.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The new Tom Ford Santal Blush is a sweet creamy sandalwood.

Basenotes Institution

A few suggestions (sweetness included)

Arpege Pour Homme
    Tricorn by Caswell Massey (sandalwood/amber)
    Biehl Parfumkunstwerke EO01 (a spicy oriental with a strong sandalwood base)
    Bois 1920 Sandalo e The

Caswell Massey also makes another sandalwood based conposition wich I think is simply called "sandalwood". If memory serves me well It's a fresher take on the main theme (something between Guccy Envy for Men and Floris Santal but I may be wrong)
    Well, I was gifted a bottle of Arpege Pour Homme and I hated it. So I don't imagine I'll do a 180 on that one. I didn't think Tricorn was that sweet when I wore it, does anyone else think it is?
    I would love to try the Biehl, thanks.
    Sandalo e The is sweet, I agree, but it's also very aldehydic to my nose...almost unbearably so. The fizziness disrupts the sandalwood IMO and made it hard to wear/enjoy.

Have you ever tried Laura Tonatto's Sandalo per Teti? Sweet sandalwood with orange and a bit of mint on top. Absolutely gorgeous.
    Have not. Added to the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I personally can't stand Original Santal. I don't get any sandalwood out of it at all, just a sweet mush that disappears in a half hour. It's probably just a skin chemistry issue, though.

One you may want to give a try is Santal Blush by Tom Ford. Neiman Marcus has it in stock- you mentioned Georgetown- try the one at Tyson's Galleria and ask for Nahzi. She took great care of me last time I was up there. Santal Blush is kind of a floral/fruit bomb right out of the gate but soon settles down to a boozy, luxurious Australian sandalwood that I think you may appreciate. It's definitely one to test on the back of your hand in case it ends up as a scrubber for you. Any more than a single spritz is, IMHO, enough to choke a horse.
    I am excited to try Santal Blush, I was wondering if it was sweet. I was vacationing in Georgetown - I live in Miami so I'm still on the lookout here for this new Tom Ford. Not sure if my local Saks has it yet - the Saks in Bal Harbour sort of sucks. Is the scent very musk prominent Orobas?

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    nice reviews Mike!

just don't agree with the santal de mysore and Santal Noble reviews (but you already knew it was coming ... Santal de Mysore has a lovely drydown which smells extremely rich in sandalwood. Santal Noble is crude sandalwood bark with sandalwood soapiness.

but, to me, nothing comes close to Villoresi's Epic release - Sandalo. in my mind, that's how sandalwood smells.
    Thanks jenson. Maybe one-of-these-days the Santal de Mysore will click with me...I mean I really tried to like it and I tested it several times - each time it was just awful. Really vile.

There are a ton of GREAT sandalwood scents that I am getting to know, in fact Joe gifted a sample of the Villoresi that I haven't smelled yet. I'm waiting for a special occasion. But, as I've come to learn, the most 'vivid' and 'realistic' sandalwood scents are usually not the sweet ones. So I guess I've come to realize that I love sandalwood when it smells true-to-life, natural and linear and I also like it when it's blended, sweetened, gustatory, etc.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th August 2011 at 08:51 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

You know me Mike, I would recommend Xerjoff Richwood.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks jenson. Maybe one-of-these-days the Santal de Mysore will click with me...I mean I really tried to like it and I tested it several times - each time it was just awful. Really vile.
    note, i said drydown i could imagine how top to mid notes may not go well with many. spice overload...

with regards to your preferences for "true-to-life, natural and linear" sandalwood, i would presume Sandalo wont disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23;
    I didn't think Tricorn was that sweet when I wore it, does anyone else think it is?
    Tricorn didn't strike me as sweet either. It is one of my guilty pleasures, love its old school, gentleman vibe.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th August 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Great writeup mp23 and ofcourse you are entitled to your opinion.

A couple of notes: Santal de Mysore does have a decent sandalwood note, its just that the spices and sweetness can be overwhelming at times and consequently it feels unbalanced. Santal Noble does have an odd wood + coffee combo...it smells like parched diuretic wood, and its sandalwood smells a lot like cedar/cedar-chest to me.
    -

Most of the Sandalwoods people have reccomended are Australian , not Mysore( the sweet one and the highest quality) . The only true Mysore sandalwood smelling surprisingly is WONDERWOOD it is probably the best quality mysore sandalwood you will find , SERIOUSLY. I have a Mysore sandalwood figurine , from the 80s , they smell VIRTUALLY the same. Montale's santal is a knock off of Lutens Santal de Mysore, it has that curry smell in it.

I find Luten's Santal de Mysore terrible , it smells more like a kofta curry rather than Mysore Sandalwood.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks. (giggle)

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Mike, nice thread. I've never smelled the Egoiste Concentree (hard to find) but I've been getting into Egoiste lately and it's nice.

I can't remember if you tried Creed Santal Imperial or not... It's not super sweet, but has a smokey tonka bean accord around the edges that makes it feel very soft and comfy. The topnotes are very exalting and uplifting-- it's one of those scents where I just can't find the seams of the notes. Very unisex and natural smelling. I suppose it has a lightness to it, but I like it quite a bit.
    Oh Indie, you gotta try Egoiste Concentree when you can. It's so smooth and wonderful.
    No I have not smelled Santal Imperial. Adding it to the list. I wouldn't have guessed that it was sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    for a good, pure sandalwood sweetness try Creed Bois de Santal
    Keiko Mecheri Bois de Santal is a sweet, floral sandalwood
    I have tried Bois de Santal and I liked it, but I don't remember it being sweet. The Keiko Mecheri I will add to my list, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Great thread!

Mike, I'm sure you've tried Floris Santal, which is often compared to Gucci Envy (with more of a sandalwood element). I remember it being pretty classy, but the way Floris has been acting lately, I wouldn't be surprised if it was crappily reformulated.
    No, I haven't tried Floris Santal. From everything that I've researched here on BN, the discontinued Floris Sandalwood is better than the Santal. I haven't smelled either nor did I know they're sweet.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    The new Tom Ford Santal Blush is a sweet creamy sandalwood.
    Ah so you agree with Orobas, good. I will be sampling this soon. Is it musk prominent to you heperd?

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I've been eyeing that one, but gosh the Xerjoff's are just so pricey. Is it very sweet cairo?

Tricorn didn't strike me as sweet either. It is one of my guilty pleasures, love its old school, gentleman vibe.
    Yeah I think I smelled it when I was at your place Kevin. I like it. Very conservative, I agree, which sometimes just feels right. But sort of nothing like these sweet creamy sandalwoods that I'm getting into more these days.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    note, i said drydown i could imagine how top to mid notes may not go well with many. spice overload...

with regards to your preferences for "true-to-life, natural and linear" sandalwood, i would presume Sandalo wont disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Great writeup mp23 and ofcourse you are entitled to your opinion.

A couple of notes: Santal de Mysore does have a decent sandalwood note, its just that the spices and sweetness can be overwhelming at times and consequently it feels unbalanced...
    Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I find Luten's Santal de Mysore terrible , it smells more like a kofta curry rather than Mysore Sandalwood.
    Well, the Santal de Mysore top notes linger and run right into the base notes, and I suppose there must be some very special sandalwood way, way down in the drydown that has drawn so many people to enjoy the scent, but for me those sweet, cherry-cough-syrup top notes just overstay their welcome and taint the basenotes.

And mind you I like cumin and I like curry and it is NOT the spices that is the problem for me. I love SL and how he uses spices. Bring it!

But with SdM it's more so the way the sweetness peaks and flows over and above everything else. Like when you put too much sugar in our coffee and it tastes soooooo sweet you have to pour it out and get a fresh cup. Unpalatable sweetness. A love it or hate it, it seems.

-- Jack Kerouac

Well, I was gifted a bottle of Arpege Pour Homme and I hated it. So I don't imagine I'll do a 180 on that one. I didn't think Tricorn was that sweet when I wore it, does anyone else think it is?
    I would love to try the Biehl, thanks.
    Sandalo e The is sweet, I agree, but it's also very aldehydic to my nose...almost unbearably so. The fizziness disrupts the sandalwood IMO and made it hard to wear/enjoy.
    I don't like Arpege pour Homme either, I think it's just ok but tastes are sometimes different so I just throwed it in as it seemed, somehow, to fit the bill. Tricorn is not "that" sweet, I agree, but as you didn't like Santal Noble for its coffee note I thought that it could have made a good alternative because of their similar old school vibe.

Biehl is definitely sweet. If you'll have the chance to test it I'd really would like to know what you think about it as Biehl doesn't get much attention around here.

Agree on Sandalo e The (see my review), but I don't always suggest fragrances I personally like.

Egoiste is regal!

Ahhh...Kevin beat me to it. Gorgeous indeed!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Most of the Sandalwoods people have reccomended are Australian , not Mysore( the sweet one and the highest quality) . The only true Mysore sandalwood smelling surprisingly is WONDERWOOD it is probably the best quality mysore sandalwood you will find , SERIOUSLY. I have a Mysore sandalwood figurine , from the 80s , they smell VIRTUALLY the same. Montale's santal is a knock off of Lutens Santal de Mysore, it has that curry smell in it.
    Clarification: Are you suggesting I try Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons and that you think it actually has Mysore sandalwood in it? Or rather that it replicates the smell of Mysore sandalwood?

The reason I ask is I tested Wonderwood again for the 2nd time a week ago and I really doused my arm with it and I loved it. I felt too that it was giving me a sort of sandalwood vibe and I meant to come home to BN and research the scent to see if I was the only one who got this (honestly, like zztopp mentioned above, my nose sometimes interprets cedar as sandalwood and vice versa). But the CdG is mildly sweet, it's much more straight up woody, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    Ahhh...Kevin beat me to it. Gorgeous indeed!
    A sample of the Sandalo per Teti is on it's way to me. I see cinnamon in the list of notes. Yay!!!

...Biehl is definitely sweet. If you'll have the chance to test it I'd really would like to know what you think about it as Biehl doesn't get much attention around here...
    I will alfarom. However looking at the pyramid of notes for EO01, I dont' see sandalwood. I do see cedar.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Egoiste is regal!
    I know it really is special. I sprayed on some Bois des Iles last night, from my dwindling decant, and while it and Egoiste share the same bone structure, the Egoiste is so much more satisfying for a sandalwood fan like me. I really want to get some Egoiste Shower Gel soon.

-- Jack Kerouac

I have Le Labo Santal 33 and it is good, but I have to be "in the mood" to wear it. I adore Santal Noble by MPG, so we differ on this one. The only other Sandalwood I own is Tam Dao by Diptyque and I have it in my top ten. You need to try Tam Dao, it is almost pure Sandalwood with some cedar mixed in. I really enjoy it very much. It is lighter and close to the skin and has been described as meditative.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Sound Scents

No, I haven't tried Floris Santal. From everything that I've researched here on BN, the discontinued Floris Sandalwood is better than the Santal. I haven't smelled either nor did I know they're sweet.
    I own both the regular Floris Sandalwood and the Eau de Santal. I strongly prefer Santal. That said, the regular Sandalwood is a much more "pure" sweet sandalwood fragrance. Santal has a sandalwood component, but it really is not a straight sandalwood, IMO. It is on the sweet creamy side, but not overly so (having a nice black peppery zing component to spice things up a bit).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Santal has a sandalwood component, but it really is not a straight sandalwood, IMO. It is on the sweet creamy side, but not overly so (having a nice black peppery zing component to spice things up a bit).
    That is a good description. Just wanted to add that I can't think of any "straight" sandalwood fragrances that are also notably sweet. If the note is pure, in my experience it might be waxy, woody, creamy or dusty, but never exactly "sweet."

Floris Sandalwood is definitely one of my favorites. It's squarely in the waxy, extremely pure sandalwood category, but is not sweet. Santal is more of a composition. It isn't sweet like Trumper Sandalwood or Egoiste, but it has the qualities of a softened oriental.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Taylor of Old Bond Street's Sandalwood. TOBS' answer to Geo F Trumpers' rendition. Sweet, creamy sandalwood, made prettier with a light rose. Victorian Egoiste.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

What about Sandalo per Tetti by Laura Tonatto? I keep hearing this is a creamy sandalwood with tea.

I will alfarom. However looking at the pyramid of notes for EO01, I dont' see sandalwood. I do see cedar.
    Here's the official pyramid of notes taken from the Biehl's brochure (wich, surprisingly, this time happens to be the same reported on fragrantica LOL )

head: fresh, fruity chords. Tangerine, blood orange, cardamom, nutmeg, apricot, coconut.

heart: subtle floweriness of rose wood, pimento, iris, orchid, lily of the valley.

base: perfectly harmonized with balsamic, woody, and ambery tones. Styrax, vanilla, cinnamon, tonka bean, cedar wood, vetiver, patchouli, sandal wood, ambergris, musk.

IMO it has a remarkable sandalwood-driven drydown but, maybe, I'm wrong.
    Last edited by alfarom; 26th August 2011 at 06:10 PM.

^^^^ that looks gourmandish as a whole , this is not the smell of 'sweet sandalwood' , which is basically "Mysore sandalwood"

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    ...The only other Sandalwood I own is Tam Dao by Diptyque and I have it in my top ten. You need to try Tam Dao, it is almost pure Sandalwood with some cedar mixed in. I really enjoy it very much. It is lighter and close to the skin and has been described as meditative.
    I have tried Tam Dao - I wrote a thread about it many years ago. I think it is very cedar prominent and walks that thin line between smelling good & smelling cheap and headache inducing. It is IMO not sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I own both the regular Floris Sandalwood and the Eau de Santal. I strongly prefer Santal. That said, the regular Sandalwood is a much more "pure" sweet sandalwood fragrance. Santal has a sandalwood component, but it really is not a straight sandalwood, IMO. It is on the sweet creamy side, but not overly so (having a nice black peppery zing component to spice things up a bit).
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    That is a good description. Just wanted to add that I can't think of any "straight" sandalwood fragrances that are also notably sweet. If the note is pure, in my experience it might be waxy, woody, creamy or dusty, but never exactly "sweet."

Floris Sandalwood is definitely one of my favorites. It's squarely in the waxy, extremely pure sandalwood category, but is not sweet. Santal is more of a composition. It isn't sweet like Trumper Sandalwood or Egoiste, but it has the qualities of a softened oriental.
    Thanks guys - that's good to know. I will smell the Santal if I ever see it but from your descriptions I think I would prefer the Santal for a non-sweet sandalwood fix. If I can ever find some, I have **never** seen it for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Taylor of Old Bond Street's Sandalwood. TOBS' answer to Geo F Trumpers' rendition. Sweet, creamy sandalwood, made prettier with a light rose. Victorian Egoiste.
    Added to the list - thanks!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th August 2011 at 08:27 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

I am wearing Santal Blush right now and I find it to be in a similar vein as Santal de Mysore: a sweetened Australian sandalwood, trying to be Mysore sandalwood. It isn't as syrupy and dense as the Lutens, and it doesn't have that cherry note. But I do get a hint of coconut.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    +1

This is a slam dunk of a fragrance and probably what you are looking for. Rich, sweet, high quality sandalwood.

Ridic pricey of course and may smell a bit on the feminine side. Decants are available at Crystal Flacon however.

Mr. Mike (and all, of course)

I enjoyed your comments in the OP and am open to learn a little from maybe a differennt perspective. Have you tried Maison Francis Kurkdjian's APLS? If so, how'd you compare/contrast that with what you found in SL Santal de Mysore, both overall and in the sandalwood note?

thx

Caswell-Massey also makes another sandalwood based conposition wich I think is simply called "sandalwood".
    This is a very good, very simple, very sweet sandalwood fragrance tinged with a bit of vanilla. Much sweeter than the rather smoky, nearly phenolic (and IMO very good) Tricorn.

I'll third the recommendation of Floris Santal, especially if you like Trumper, with which it shares some characteristics IMO.

The discontinued Dupont Signature PH also overlaps with these two (and Envy IMO) with its use of vanilla and some fruity notes to complement the sandalwood. It is more synthetic and has some incense going on. Cheap as chips when it was in production, but a bit hard to come by now.

Best,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

I will absolutely recommend you to try Egoiste shower-gel. It`s the best quality shower-gel I have tried. It`s very economical in use, and gives a wonderful smell on the skin. Egoiste shower-gel + 2 sprays of the EDT is a "killer" combination! You will smell delicious the whole day.

Blog Entries

A really nice oddball sandalwood - proudly labeled as Aussie because it's native-communal-gathered - is Quiksilver. It's something like a designer version of Creed's Santal Imperial, but where faint aquatic is substituted for the Creed's citrus topnotes, and which of course lasts well into the base. Some kind of supporting notes are used to make the sandalwood creamier, while keeping the prominence possible with the Australian stuff. Were it not so linear and simple, I could rave - but among cheaper designer offerings it's fairly standout. The longevity is spectacular. I'm a bit careful about wearing it, because the bathroom retains the odor forever. Kind of like Nautica Voyage in that respect. I think it's recently discontinued, but still available at discounters. Sandalwood junkies may be pleased by it.

Is it sweet? Just the right amount, IMO, which is barely. Less than Egoiste, but enough that the sandalwood is super smooth.

I recently rediscovered, among my papers and things, an old Indian, sandalwood, hand-carved paper-clip. Much of the smell was lost from what I remember, but what was left was damn good.

Etro sandalo is worth mentioning particularly as it has a burnt caramel smell but my favourite is d.r. Harris after shave splash. It's sweet, dry, very potent for an aftershave, and is ridiculously inexpensive. Although I don't know how well its distributed across the u.s., maybe Cambridge chemists has it?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

What a great thread!

Any thoughts on Guerlain Heritage? Definitely on the sweeter side imo.

Quote Originally Posted by rivers View Post
    Etro sandalo is worth mentioning particularly as it has a burnt caramel smell but my favourite is d.r. Harris after shave splash. It's sweet, dry, very potent for an aftershave, and is ridiculously inexpensive. Although I don't know how well its distributed across the u.s., maybe Cambridge chemists has it?
    I have used D.R. Harris sandalwood aftershave splash as an edt; folks on shaving forae have suggested this. Works well. Similar to TOBS sandalwood but deeper and without the rose.

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing Santal Blush right now and I find it to be in a similar vein as Santal de Mysore: a sweetened Australian sandalwood, trying to be Mysore sandalwood. It isn't as syrupy and dense as the Lutens, and it doesn't have that cherry note. But I do get a hint of coconut.
    Oh good, it sounds lovely. I can't wait to smell it. The coconut note (in the Le Labo) contributes to the creamy sandalwood effect, nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppedGarlic View Post
    +1

This is a slam dunk of a fragrance and probably what you are looking for. Rich, sweet, high quality sandalwood.

Ridic pricey of course and may smell a bit on the feminine side. Decants are available at Crystal Flacon however.
    ChoppedGarlic, is Richwood particularly sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Mr. Mike (and all, of course)

I enjoyed your comments in the OP and am open to learn a little from maybe a differennt perspective. Have you tried Maison Francis Kurkdjian's APLS? If so, how'd you compare/contrast that with what you found in SL Santal de Mysore, both overall and in the sandalwood note?

thx
    Well, yes, I have sampled Absolue Pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian and I thought it was nice and animalic but the scent (even the non-Absolue) is jut chock full of benzoin and this is what my nose becomes overwhelmed by. I think I am hypernosmic to benzoin because whenever I smell it, it's ALL I smell. And it's very powdery and not in a nice way...more chokingly so. So, the sandalwood in APLS is sort of lost on me, I can't even remember smelling it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    This is a very good, very simple, very sweet sandalwood fragrance tinged with a bit of vanilla. Much sweeter than the rather smoky, nearly phenolic (and IMO very good) Tricorn.

I'll third the recommendation of Floris Santal, especially if you like Trumper, with which it shares some characteristics IMO.

The discontinued Dupont Signature PH also overlaps with these two (and Envy IMO) with its use of vanilla and some fruity notes to complement the sandalwood. It is more synthetic and has some incense going on. Cheap as chips when it was in production, but a bit hard to come by now.

Best,
    T
    I liked the C&M Sandalwood that I sampled about a year ago, but I didn't think it was that sweet. Very barbershop-y from what I remember. For this vibe I rely on my vintage Crabtree & Evelyne Extract of Mysore Sandalwood EdT.
    I will definitely try to smell Santal by Floris after having started this thread - I didn't realize it had so many fans.
    Is the Dupont fragrance you're talking about this one:http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121479.html

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, yes, that's the Dupont I'm referring to. Worth sampling if it can be found. I sold off my bottle for $15 a couple years back and regret it now. I may have overstated the sweetness of the C-M Sandalwood, but it is certainly sweeter than Tricorn. Barbershoppy in a way, though, you're right.

Best,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I will absolutely recommend you to try Egoiste shower-gel. It`s the best quality shower-gel I have tried. It`s very economical in use, and gives a wonderful smell on the skin. Egoiste shower-gel + 2 sprays of the EDT is a "killer" combination! You will smell delicious the whole day.
    Oh good, glad to hear from someone who's a fan. I will keep an eye out for it on the 'net.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    A really nice oddball sandalwood - proudly labeled as Aussie because it's native-communal-gathered - is Quiksilver. It's something like a designer version of Creed's Santal Imperial, but where faint aquatic is substituted for the Creed's citrus topnotes, and which of course lasts well into the base. Some kind of supporting notes are used to make the sandalwood creamier, while keeping the prominence possible with the Australian stuff. Were it not so linear and simple, I could rave - but among cheaper designer offerings it's fairly standout. The longevity is spectacular. I'm a bit careful about wearing it, because the bathroom retains the odor forever. Kind of like Nautica Voyage in that respect. I think it's recently discontinued, but still available at discounters. Sandalwood junkies may be pleased by it.

Is it sweet? Just the right amount, IMO, which is barely. Less than Egoiste, but enough that the sandalwood is super smooth.

I recently rediscovered, among my papers and things, an old Indian, sandalwood, hand-carved paper-clip. Much of the smell was lost from what I remember, but what was left was damn good.
    This is why I love BN so much because I would never in a million years sample Quiksilver, and yet now I can't wait to sample it Red. Thanks!
    I'd love to smell something handmade out of real sandalwood, but alas I never have.

Quote Originally Posted by rivers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john parker View Post
    I have used D.R. Harris sandalwood aftershave splash as an edt; folks on shaving forae have suggested this. Works well. Similar to TOBS sandalwood but deeper and without the rose.

Added to my list. I have seen some of the DR Harris line at New London Pharmacy, in NY (where I go every single time I'm in NY)...so maybe they have it. I'm assuming you're talking about this one: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/asse...AS-DRH-SAN.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    What a great thread!

Any thoughts on Guerlain Heritage? Definitely on the sweeter side imo.
    Funny you ask. I love Heritage. For the past year I have been basking in the glory of my vintage bottle of the Eau de Parfum (that I bought from scentemental). About a year or so ago, I wore it and for the 1st time I really 'got' the sandalwood in the dry down. But, IMO, it's blended in amongst the Guerlinade & all of the other wonderful oriental notes that I hesitate to call it a sandalwood-prominent drydown. Unlike Samsara, which is just ALL sandalwood in the drydown. I also smell sandalwood in the drydown on Shalimar (vintage of course)...but I wouldn't call Shalimar a 'sweet sandalwood' by any means.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th August 2011 at 12:10 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Hey mike. Another sandalwood I recently purchased is the new Tom Ford Santal Blush which is a wonderful sweet sandalwood scent with a great mix of spices thrown in. Really a smooth, sweet blonde type sandalwood scent that I am really loving.

Masala spices from India, Cinnamon Bark Oil Sri Lanka ORPUR™, Cumin Seed Oil, Fenugrec Absolute and Carrot Seed Oil, are enriched by a floral blend of Jasmine Absolute, Rose Absolute and Ylang Madagascar. An infusion of richly textured Sandalwood captives, Australian Sandalwood, Benzoin, Agarbois™ and Skin Musks,

AromiErotici

Too bad the original dark & oily Profumum Santalum is no longer available. If I had know a few years ago it would be replaced with the light rendition, I would have paid the $240 for a bottle.