Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one is the best?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chergui

57 58.16%
  • Back To Black

41 41.84%

Default By Killian Back To Black vs Chergui?

Today I received my Back To Black samples from Luckyscent - it's a wonderful fragrance which reminds a little of Chergui (have only tried the wax sample). Both fragrances got notes of pipe tobacco, hay and honey. On the "fruity" side Chergui has cherry and Back To Black has raspberry. The tobacco note in Back To Black is better than the one in Chergui (but then again, I have only tried the wax sample). If you were to get only one of them, which one would you get, and why?

Default Re: By Killian Back To Black vs Chergui?

Chergui is spicy and Back To Black is sweet. I own Chergui and also sampled BTB, and I didn't like it (BTB) at all. Nothing smells like Chergui. Get Chergui!

The big question (for me) is - which one has got the best pipe tobacco note? I love pipe tobacco and have been looking for something like BTB for a long time. As I have not sampled Chergui in liquid form I really can't tell what it's like compared to BTB.

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    The big question (for me) is - which one has got the best pipe tobacco note? I love pipe tobacco and have been looking for something like BTB for a long time. As I have not sampled Chergui in liquid form I really can't tell what it's like compared to BTB.
    Then why don't you get Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla instead? It has all the tobacco notes that you can handle.

I would sooner put BtB up against Fumerie Turque than Chergui......

just my .02

I don't get no fruity notes in Chergui -- to my nose, it's the honeyed the florals and to a lesser extent the tobacco in Back to Black that strikes a chord relative to Chergui. Also, I find Back to Black to be more complex and multifaceted than Chergui, it's the first By Killian scent to wow me, after all.

That being said, I voted for Chergui -- can't go wrong with it

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Never tried Chergui. I have order a sample of BTB. Can`t wait!!

I own a 75ml bottle of Chergui and itīs nice, but itīs way overrated on this board and to be honest itīs way better suited for ladies. It has a nice green, figgy (hay?) opening and whatīs left is a sweet syrup drydown that gets anoying at one point.
    I wear it from time to time, but I have to be in the mood for it. I wore it to work one time and that was a big mistake,it felt way to feminine and didnīt feel right on me. I loved my BtB sample though, itīs also sweet but I like it way better.
    Last edited by eric; 5th October 2009 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I own a 75ml bottle of Chergui and itīs nice, but itīs way overrated on this board and to be honest itīs way better suited for ladies. It has a nice green, figgy (hay?) opening and whatīs left is a sweet syrup drydown that gets anoying at one point.
    I wear it from time to time, but I have to be in the mood for it. I wore it to work one time and that was a big mistake,it felt way to feminine and didnīt feel right on me. I loved my BtB sample though, itīs also sweet but I like it way better.
    That`s intesting to hear!

Yeah like Funraiser I too find Back to Black to be more like Fumerie Turque than Chergui (minus the powder). That said, I'd try to get a small sample of Chergui just to make sure. You know how subjective smell is. Ive never tried a SL wax sample so Im not sure how close to the scent they are.

Chergui didnt do anything for me but I fell in love with Back to Black. Also for me the tobacco note in BTB is way nicer than the one in Tobacco Vanille.

Basenotes Institution

I voted for Chergui because it is so unique and I love it more than Back To Black .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Brutal I can't vote as I haven't gotten my Back to Black sample so only have tried Chergui damn!

How can you guys be saying that BtB is sweet and then compare it to Fumerie Turque? I haven't tried BtB yet, but FT isn't sweet to my nose at all. Smoky, yes. Sweet, no.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I vote Cheurgui

The honeyed tobacco is what makes them ( BTB & FT) similar to my nose. Although in FT it's tobacco smoke and no vanilla. Chergui for me was more about leather honey and spices.

My sample of Back To Black should be here any day now.. anything compared to Chergui will instantly pique my curiosity

Well just out of curiosity I checked my mail and apparently my samples have been sitting in the mailbox all day!

Anyway, just sprayed on some of the Back to Black sample... I definitely get the Chergui comparison, but Back to Black is sweeter and more feminine to my nose. Back to Black is really, really good and it will be interesting to see how it wears on, but I definitely prefer Chergui.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Well just out of curiosity I checked my mail and apparently my samples have been sitting in the mailbox all day!

Anyway, just sprayed on some of the Back to Black sample... I definitely get the Chergui comparison, but Back to Black is sweeter and more feminine to my nose. Back to Black is really, really good and it will be interesting to see how it wears on, but I definitely prefer Chergui.
    Please let us know your findings .

My vote = Back to Black over Chergui.

Flouris is correct that it's fairly femme but the drydown is so damn good I may consider it for myself anyway.

The only trouble I have with BtoB is that cigarette ash note about midway thru.

I much prefer Chergui. Back to Blacks smelled to me like hair powder from the 1950s
    Sales thread here

Today I received my Back To Black samples from Luckyscent - it's a wonderful fragrance which reminds a little of Chergui (have only tried the wax sample). Both fragrances got notes of pipe tobacco, hay and honey. On the "fruity" side Chergui has cherry and Back To Black has raspberry. The tobacco note in Back To Black is better than the one in Chergui (but then again, I have only tried the wax sample). If you were to get only one of them, which one would you get, and why?
    Go and get Chergui sprayed on you/ a card if you can. The wax samples are lovely, but they're pretty much just the dry down of each SL fragrance. Some of the wax samples are really good representations of the scent (like Sarassins) and others are much softer and sweeter (like La Myrrh and Chergui) and others are completely different (like Bois de Violette).

After Back to Black dried down it just kept going sweeter and sweeter and sweeter. Woke up this morning and it was almost like a weird, fruity sugarcane. :< It starts off incredibly, however.

I have seen bootles of Chergui with both green and red-brown juice in it. Why is it so? Today i order (blind) a bootle of chergui. I`m full of expectation! Hope i will not be dissapointed..
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 7th October 2009 at 07:02 PM.

After Back to Black dried down it just kept going sweeter and sweeter and sweeter. Woke up this morning and it was almost like a weird, fruity sugarcane. :< It starts off incredibly, however.
    Just a quick revision. The last couple of nights I've worn Back to Black and I've realized I absolutely need a bottle of this stuff (slightly disappointing due to the price point!) -- just another reminder to myself that one sampling is never enough to accurately make an opinion.

The last couple of nights I've worn it, it has turned to this perfect "dark purple" tobacco scent. The sweetness (actually, my least favorite part of the scent) loses enough of its edge in the first hour and the tobacco just grows and grows and grows, a big plus in my book.

Just a quick revision. The last couple of nights I've worn Back to Black and I've realized I absolutely need a bottle of this stuff (slightly disappointing due to the price point!) -- just another reminder to myself that one sampling is never enough to accurately make an opinion.

The last couple of nights I've worn it, it has turned to this perfect "dark purple" tobacco scent. The sweetness (actually, my least favorite part of the scent) loses enough of its edge in the first hour and the tobacco just grows and grows and grows, a big plus in my book.
    Do you like it better than Straight to Heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Do you like it better than Straight to Heaven?
    Unfortunately the only two Kilian's I've tried are Back to Black and Cruel Intentions (I really like this one too but the duration and sillage are virtually nonexistent).

Sampling the rest of this line is definitely in the near future!

Unfortunately the only two Kilian's I've tried are Back to Black and Cruel Intentions (I really like this one too but the duration and sillage are virtually nonexistent).

Sampling the rest of this line is definitely in the near future!
    Ok. I have order samples of Straight to heaven, Back to black, Cruel Intentions, and a full bottle of Chergui.. Can hardly wait!

Chergui is unbelievable, definitely my favorite thing to wear! You made some very good picks

Chergui is unbelievable, definitely my favorite thing to wear! You made some very good picks
    Thank you. I`m glad to hear!

today, my 3 samples of By Killian arrived.. Cruel Itentions: I can`t imagine a man vearig this one. To me, it smells like a womens perfume. Not even unisex. Straight to heaven: Of the 3 samples i`ve tried, i think this one is the best, but it reminds me of something else.. It`s like a mixture of L`Artisan Fou d`Absinthe, Jil Sander Man, and Armani Attitude. Very nice, but definitvely not worth the money. Back to Black: Absolutly unisex. In the dry down, i can find some similarities with Jaipur Homme. (strange, somebody hasn`t mention that before). Conclusion: Straight to Heaven: I will not buy it, because i already got Fou d`Absinthe in my collection, which IMO is a better and more original and unique fragrance. Cruel Intentions: Out of the question! It`s nothing for me. Back to Black: I will not buy it because of the Jaipur similarities. I do already got Jaipur, and i do not need another scent in the same league.
    -I am now waiting for my bottle of Chergui which is a blind buy! (stupid thing to do, i know). I hope it is different than the Back to Black, if not, it may have been waste of money..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    today, my 3 samples of By Killian arrived.. Cruel Itentions: I can`t imagine a man vearig this one. To me, it smells like a womens perfume. Not even unisex. Straight to heaven: Of the 3 samples i`ve tried, i think this one is the best, but it reminds me of something else.. It`s like a mixture of L`Artisan Fou d`Absinthe, Jil Sander Man, and Armani Attitude. Very nice, but definitvely not worth the money. Back to Black: Absolutly unisex. In the dry down, i can find some similarities with Jaipur Homme. (strange, somebody hasn`t mention that before). Conclusion: Straight to Heaven: I will not buy it, because i already got Fou d`Absinthe in my collection, which IMO is a better and more original and unique fragrance. Cruel Intentions: Out of the question! It`s nothing for me. Back to Black: I will not buy it because of the Jaipur similarities. I do already got Jaipur, and i do not need another scent in the same league.
    -I am now waiting for my bottle of Chergui which is a blind buy! (stupid thing to do, i know). I hope it is different than the Back to Black, if not, it may have been waste of money..
    If you don't like the Chergui, send a private message to me. Maybe we can trade .

If you don't like the Chergui, send a private message to me. Maybe we can trade .
    ok. we`ll see! First i have to try it..

I've been loving Back to Black so much lately.. If my enthusiasm persists I'll likely splurge on a bottle of the stuff this weekend.

My question, does anyone know why By Kilian fragrances are so expensive? Do they come in some sort of extravagant packaging? I heard something about a black box with a key?

Lastly, am I blind or are there no reviews (not even an entry) for Back to Black in the basenotes fragrance database? Just how new is this stuff?

I've been loving Back to Black so much lately.. If my enthusiasm persists I'll likely splurge on a bottle of the stuff this weekend.

My question, does anyone know why By Kilian fragrances are so expensive? Do they come in some sort of extravagant packaging? I heard something about a black box with a key?

Lastly, am I blind or are there no reviews (not even an entry) for Back to Black in the basenotes fragrance database? Just how new is this stuff?
    Yes It`s a very exlusive box. Black with a very elegant finish. Inside, the fragrance is lying on a soft "bed" of silky velvet. Of the price you pay, i think half of it goes to the box!

The packaging of the regular 50ml bottle is expensive, but when you own a bottle the refills at the By KIlian counter are about 89 euro .
    Thereīs also a 30ml travel bottle ,that is about 95 euro. The refills (4x 7.5ml)are 45 euro. I recently ordered Black to Black in the travel edition size.

IMO it is a bit too much honey-notes in Back to Black for my taste (makes it a bit too sweet). Is it more or less honey in Chergui? Are Back to Black sweeter than Chergui?

Chergui. I didn't like BTB as much as STH

Good luck with the 50/50 vote. But if it's pipe tobacco notes your interested in I'm +1 on the Tom Ford TV.

I finally got around to trying Back to Black and I found it to be a rather typical, fruity wood. A cross between Mauboussin Femme and J del Pozo's In Black with a little tobacco thrown in. I can't understand By Killian's: pedestrian, banality for big bucks approach. Julliette may have to buy some extra bullets for her gun and do us all a favor
    PS: Chergui is real genius IMO.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th October 2009 at 06:35 AM.

I have read that Back to Black is dedicated to Amy Winehouse. If that`s true, it`s leaning towards the female market?

I've seen some blogs make mention of this but I've never seen anything officially from Kilian regarding this so it may very well be a thing of lore - but it'd be kinda cool if it was based on her (I know few people would share my sentiment).

Regardless, BTB is more femme than Chergui but could easily be pulled off by most guys. I've been wearing it a ton lately and find it completely gender neutral.

I will vote for Chergui (on me). I would consider Chergui to be the brother and B2B the sister. Both somehow fall into the same family. I like B2B on my wrist, when I am in my room, on my own, reading a book, or being on the internet, as i like the sweet aroma of honey and the smell of that nice tobacco airing past my nose each time my hand moves.
    Chergui is a work of art. Its not a combination of notes; its a completed music in a bottle.

I prefer Chergui, but I don't really find them all that similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I prefer Chergui, but I don't really find them all that similar.
    my thoughts exactly

Basenotes Plus

I don't think this is about fragrance similarities than it is about preferences. I like both of them well enough. But I love the feel/opulence in Back to Black more.

I seriously love them both but B2B will always be my big love

I'd have to say that Chergui and Back to Black have their similarities when it comes to the tobacco notes. But they are quite different -- Chergui is an incense, spices and moist-hot-drying hay fragrance with a slight amount of honey. Almost like the fresh hay is baking in the hot sun so it can dry.

Back to Black has a tobacco that reminds me of snuff, and a heck of a LOT more honey. Snuff is that sniffable tobacco crap. Back to Black is a lot sweeter to my nose, while Chergui has an interesting and surprising transparency to it. I love that about Chergui!

I'd say I love them both, but will probably wear Back to Black more often. There is just something profound about it that just feels excessive and expensive. (by excessive, I mean, the wearer is so rich, they own everything is excess) i don't know how this personification came about, but it just did. :P

Cubby
    http://fragrancetalk.com

Chergui

I need to try Chergui, will have to put it on the list to sample. BtB is one of my favorites.

Back to Black

Chergui all day, every day...

For me it is Back to Black. I find it superior to Chergui as it works to my tastes. I think the tobacco is sexier and the effect is smokier and more to my liking. Chergui is nice though I'd prefer B2B anyday.
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have sampled both and own a bottle of Chergui. Chergui has been more of an attention getter with great longevity. While BTB is a great scent I prefer it on a woman. Chergui is one of my current faves, I really don't think you can go wrong with it.

Both are good. I liked the complexity of BTB. That doesn't mean chergui isn't complex, it is. But BtB is a bit more IMO.
    Unused vintage Route du Vetiver (90ml) for sale/swap

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Both are good. I liked the complexity of BTB. That doesn't mean chergui isn't complex, it is. But BtB is a bit more IMO.
    Yes - I agree - the complexities are different. BTB has a sort of sustained complexity that changes only very slowly and smoothly. Chergui made a few more startling transitions when I smelled it - I couldn't deal with them, and there were phases that I simply didn't enjoy. BTB is mostly enjoyable for me overall.

Chergui.

Back to Back is another copy of Tobacco Vanille.