Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Niche enthusiasts- which designer / mainstream fragrances do you love?

Which designer fragrances are still loved and used by those members who predominantly prefer / use / buy niche fragrances these days.

Personally, I have 6 designer / mainstream fragrances in my wardrobe that get as much play as any of the niche bottles and decants I own.

They are:

Dunhill Edition by Alfred Dunhill
    Eau des Baux by L'Occitane
    Encre Noire by Lalique
    Fahrenheit by Christian Dior
    Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    Terre d'Hermes by Hermes
    Yohji Homme by Yohji Yamamoto

How about you?
    Last edited by morrison74; 24th September 2011 at 09:43 AM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Niche enthusiasts- which designer / mainstream fragrances do you love?

Too many to list. Some are:

Aramis
    Tiffany for Men
    Rochas Lui
    Kouros
    Rive Gauche PH
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Habit Rouge
    Terre d'Hermes
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Niche enthusiasts- which designer / mainstream fragrances do you love?

Terre d`hermès Pure parfume
    Cartier Declaration (regular / Essence)
    Must de Cartier pour homme
    CHANEL Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Too many to list. Some are:

Aramis
    Tiffany for Men
    Rochas Lui
    Kouros
    Rive Gauche PH
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Habit Rouge
    Terre d'Hermes
    Some nice ones there- I own small decants of Tiffany for Men, Rochas Lui, Kouros, Givenchy Vetyver and Habit Rouge (EDC). All lovely fragrances in my opinion.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Terre d`hermès Pure parfume
    Cartier Declaration (regular / Essence)
    Must de Cartier pour homme
    CHANEL Egoiste.
    Very nice fragrances too! The only one I don't own a decant of is Must de Cartier pour Homme though I've been meaning to try it for ages. I liked the original (female) Must de Cartier quite a bit.

Swaps
    Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Very nice fragrances too! The only one I don't own a decant of is Must de Cartier pour Homme though I've been meaning to try it for ages. I liked the original (female) Must de Cartier quite a bit.
    It`s a "Must" try ;-) -Pure class and sophistcation in a bottle. Perfect with a stylish attire and for an evening out. One of the best orientals in my collection. A glamorous fragrance.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 27th August 2011 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s a "Must" try ;-) -Pure class and sophistcation in a bottle. Perfect with a stylish attire and for an evening out. One of the best orientals in my collection. A glamorous fragrance.

Thank you- I may be passing by a Cartier store tomorrow. I will stop in to try it if possible.

Swaps
    Wanted

There's actually not too many but there's tones I haven't tried yet.
    So far I find I regularly come back to:
    Kouros
    Tiffany For Men
    Horizon
    Armani He (generic, basic and clean for my anti-fragrance days)

Power Where You Need It

Too many to mention, let's see...

Bel Ami
    Equipage
    Givenchy Vetyver / Insensè
    Rochas Lui / Man / Macassar
    Gucci Pour Homme / Original / Envy (both Men and Women)

Many Chanels, Guerlains, Aramis, Van Clef...too many!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Just off the top of my head:

YSL Kouros
    Dior Homme/Intense
    D&G Pour Homme
    Chanel Egoiste
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Terre D'Hermes

Terre d'Hermes
    Yatagan
    Declaration
    Versace Black Jeans
    Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    There's actually not too many but there's tones I haven't tried yet.
    So far I find I regularly come back to:
    Kouros
    Tiffany For Men
    Horizon
    Armani He (generic, basic and clean for my anti-fragrance days)
    I'm yet to try Horizon (or Armani He).

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Too many to mention, let's see...

Bel Ami
    Equipage
    Givenchy Vetyver / Insensè
    Rochas Lui / Man / Macassar
    Gucci Pour Homme / Original / Envy (both Men and Women)

Many Chanels, Guerlains, Aramis, Van Clef...too many!
    I really like Hermes Equipage, Givenchy Vetyver and Rochas Lui, while Gucci Pour Homme Original is simply out of this world!

Never tried Givenchy Insensè, Rochas Macassar or Hermes Bel Ami though they do sound interesting from reviews.

I haven't tried Envy for Men for many years...

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Just off the top of my head:

YSL Kouros
    Dior Homme/Intense
    D&G Pour Homme
    Chanel Egoiste
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Terre D'Hermes
    I haven't tried Dior Homme Intense yet, but I really like the others on your list. I have decants or bottles of them all.

Swaps
    Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Terre d'Hermes
    Yatagan
    Declaration
    Versace Black Jeans
    Kouros
    Never tried Yatagan.

Versace Black jeans- I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one!

Swaps
    Wanted

I would not consider myself a niche enthusiast, I happily swing between niche and mainstream, whatever both terms mean, in fact... However, I really like most Hermes releases. There's consistency and great quality, and JC Ellena is a real artist
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I started with a preference for niche frags, probably because they are often soliflores or at any rate simpler in their composition, and often closer to the natural pungent smells of the southwest desert, which is what I was originally trying to find in a bottle.
    But as I learned more about perfume, the great top-to-bottom abstract compositions of the french tradition seemed clearly more interesting as works of art. And often funner to smell, too. But so.
    Rive Gauche pour Homme, for sure.
    Acteur by Azzaro seems to me as good as any niche rose.
    Antaeus is mindblowingly good, even if a bit shrill in its reformulation.
    My favorite lavender might be Parfums de Nicolai's Nicolai Pour Homme but a veeeery close second would certainly be Caron Pour Un Homme.
    Dior Homme is another that out-niches the niches. There are other irises that I enjoy but none that I enjoy more.
    Hermes of course has so many wonderful masculines, Bel Ami, Equipage, Rocabar and Eau d'Hermes among my faves.
    And in the interest of not going on forever, one final thing: the house of Guerlain. Dude. It's a self-contained history of the best in perfumery. If niche perfumery disappeared I'd be a bit bummed but I don't think I would be without a single olfactory sensation except maybe the immediate pungency of essential oils.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    I really like most Hermes releases. There's consistency and great quality, and JC Ellena is a real artist
    Couldn't agree more.....

Swaps
    Wanted

Oh, yeah--and Yatagan has to be on the list. As willful as daring as just about anything from Comme des Garcons.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I started with a preference for niche frags, probably because they are often soliflores or at any rate simpler in their composition, and often closer to the natural pungent smells of the southwest desert, which is what I was originally trying to find in a bottle.
    But as I learned more about perfume, the great top-to-bottom abstract compositions of the french tradition seemed clearly more interesting as works of art. And often funner to smell, too. But so.
    Rive Gauche pour Homme, for sure.
    Acteur by Azzaro seems to me as good as any niche rose.
    Antaeus is mindblowingly good, even if a bit shrill in its reformulation.
    My favorite lavender might be Parfums de Nicolai's Nicolai Pour Homme but a veeeery close second would certainly be Caron Pour Un Homme.
    Dior Homme is another that out-niches the niches. There are other irises that I enjoy but none that I enjoy more.
    Hermes of course has so many wonderful masculines, Bel Ami, Equipage, Rocabar and Eau d'Hermes among my faves.
    And in the interest of not going on forever, one final thing: the house of Guerlain. Dude. It's a self-contained history of the best in perfumery. If niche perfumery disappeared I'd be a bit bummed but I don't think I would be without a single olfactory sensation except maybe the immediate pungency of essential oils.
    My 1000th post. Yay!!

I'm yet to try Nicolai Pour Homme, Caron Pour Un Homme or Rocabar
    Acteur by Azzaro has come up on my sample radar recently.

I've tried 23 Guerlains to date. So far, I've enjoyed Shalimar Light, Jicky, Heritage, L'Instant Extreme, Vetiver and Habit Rouge. I've loved SDV, Derby, Tonka Imperiale, Arsene Lupin Dandy & Voyou, Bois d'Armenie and No.68. The others, including some classics like Mitsouko & L'Heure Bleue, I just couldn't find any love for......
    Last edited by morrison74; 27th August 2011 at 03:17 PM.

Swaps
    Wanted

You should try

L'Essence de Must de Cartier pour Homme

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDP

Dior Homme Intense

Bel Ami by Hermes

For me, too many to list. Before about 1992-1995 I find no real difference in quality and complexity between niche and designer. I've found most post-2000 mainstream releases to be a snooze, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by pirop View Post
    You should try

L'Essence de Must de Cartier pour Homme

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDP

Dior Homme Intense

Bel Ami by Hermes
    I've tried L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDP and did enjoy it. I haven't tried the other 3 yet. I will look out for samples of them for sure.

Swaps
    Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    For me, too many to list. Before about 1992-1995 I find no real difference in quality and complexity between niche and designer. I've found most post-2000 mainstream releases to be a snooze, unfortunately.
    Go on....list a few! Please?

Swaps
    Wanted

Go on....list a few! Please?
    Trying to reduce my list, I'll try to shrink it to what's currently available and commonly found at small, non-specialized stores:

Dior: Miss Dior, Poison, Dune, Eau Sauvage.
    Estee Lauder: Private Colllection, Youth Dew, White Linen.
    Chanel: No. 5, Egoiste, Eau Premier, No. 19.
    Tom Ford: Black Orchid.
    YSL: Kouros

These are what pop to mind first, there are lots of others.

As a general rule, I find more to love over on the women's side. It isn't an ingredients thing so much as a complexity thing.

I like A*men and it's flankers. Dior's Fahrenheit and I've been wearing Leather Aoud a lot!
    Chanel's Edition blanche, don't own one but soon...very soon. And lot more but this ones come into mind tight now.

Much to many to list.

Quite a few, but among by favorites:

Armani Eau pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Chanel Antaeus
    Versace l'Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Rive Gauche pour Homme by YSL
    Currently wearing: Lancetti Uomo by Lancetti

So many! I'll stick to some of my favs:

Encre Noire
    Chanel No. 19
    Eau d'Hermes
    Fahrenheit
    Shalimar

Power Where You Need It

Never tried Givenchy Insensè, Rochas Macassar or Hermes Bel Ami...
    You have to

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Grey Vetiver
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Mugler Cologne
    Burberry London
    La Nuit De L'Homme
    Egoiste
    Rochas Man Intense
    Concentree de Pamplemousse Rose
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Pure Malt
    Dior Homme Intense

Equipage, Bel Ami, A*men, M7, Bulgari Black, ..etc, these all smell more like niche scents to me. I love them all and they seem to be quite popular here as well.