Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Fragrance: Carner Barcelona - Cuirs

From cafleuerbon.com:

The perfumed world is really becoming a small international community. In April at Esxence 2011 I met Sara Carner, founder of the perfume line Carner Barcelona. In Milan I tried her fragrances D600 and Tardes, both of which I found to be excellent. Sra. Carner was able to find perfumers, in Christophe Reynaud and Daniela Andrier respectively, who realized her fragrant vision of Barcelona and the only drawback to publicizing these outstanding fragrances was they were unavailable outside of Europe. I remember asking her if she thought they would be available in the US anytime soon and she shook her head negatively. Something changed between April and August because I was able to reacquaint myself with Sra. Carner in New York City at the Elements Showcase. As I approached her standing behind her booth I barely glanced down at the bottles because my expectation was I had already tried the whole line. It was only after our initial small talk that I glanced down and saw a third Carner Barcelona fragrance, Cuirs.

Cuirs was the single best new fragrance I hadn’t tried before at Elements Showcase. Sra. Carner enlisted perfumer Sonia Constant to create a fragrance, “redolent with nostalgia for a bygone era of artisan ateliers, where pipesmoke filled the air fusing with the scent of finely tanned leather.”

Mme Constant succeeds in creating a fragrance which seems to revel in exposing the depth of a number of strong notes in perfumery and finding a way to meld them into a celebration of intensity. Cuirs is the promised smoke and leather; it is also a panoply of exotic ingredients which stretch from nagarmotha to saffron through to amyris. So often in an olfactory stew such as Cuirs the notes often have trouble getting out of each other’s way and thus create a dissonance that is difficult to like. Mme Constant has done quite the opposite as her players all find a way to make their presence known at the right time and don’t overstay their welcome. This makes Cuirs a fragrance for those who like leather wrapped in smoke served up with a healthy dose of exoticism.

Cuirs opens with a spicy pas de deux of cumin and saffron. I know there are a number of you who are already thinking “Whoa cumin AND saffron”. Mme Constant has pulled off a neat little trick by letting the cumin be the support for the saffron and that allows the saffron to be the early leader in Cuirs and at the same time the cumin doesn’t seem to build up to a bothersome level of intensity. Part of the reason for cumin not rising to a distracting level might be the next few powerhouse notes to arrive as guaiac, sandalwood, and patchouli all add their distinctive notes to things. As in the top notes, where cumin is kept in check, the patchouli is kept in check in the heart and it allows for the interplay in Cuirs at this stage to be delightful. Now it is time for the titular accord to arise and it does so behind a herald of rich pipesmoke. The smokiness seems like it arises naturally out of the woods, in the heart; and just as I start to breathe it in, the leather accord follows closely behind. This leather accord is the smell of your favorite leather jacket that you’ve owned for a year and it has seen its share of clubland on your shoulders. This leather accord is the smell when you take that jacket out of the closet at the beginning of Autumn and the whiff of the smoke and leather of last Winter greet you like a lost friend. The final bit of Cuirs rests on a beautiful oud note. I am as weary of oud as most of you are, too, but Mme Constant again reminds me that it isn’t the note that I weary of it is the use of the note without regard for balance. In Cuirs Mme Constant’s choice of oud to ground and finish Cuirs feels just right.

Cuirs has outstanding overnight longevity and above average sillage. These set of notes could almost do nothing other than leave a memorable vapor trail.

Cuirs not only joins its predecessors in the Carner Barcelona stable of fine fragrance it is also the best of the three fragrances from Sra. Carner’s perfume house. My only hope is that some US distributor was as charmed as I am so her fragrances can find their place in the US market in time for me to give these as presents this holiday season…..or for me to receive one.

Cuirs will be available in Europe late September/early October.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Fragrance: Carner Barcelona - Cuirs

Has anyone had a chance to try this yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Has anyone had a chance to try this yet?
    I tried to order a sample the other day. They don't ship to U.S.A. Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping the girls at theperfumedcourt will acquire some.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Alfarom might have tested this lol.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/C...irs-13219.html

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    He's the one.

Post Thanks / Like

minnewyork.com has this listed as being available 11/2011 but it is still showing up as out of stock.
    There are 2 others from Carner Barcelona listed too. D600 and Tardes. D600 sounds really nice too.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/C...irs-13219.html
    Yeah, I recently tried it at Fragranze 2011 where Carner Barcelona was presenting its line for the italian territory. Overall Cuirs smells pretty nice but it's strongly derivative IMO. It's basically a saffron-leather-oud concoction with resinous undertones that adds nothing new to anyone who's already familiar with Duro, Aoud Musk and Dark Aoud.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

MiN New Yorks says it can be reserved by phone or email (sales@min.com).

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered samples from here the other day.

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/duefte...barcelona.html

Post Thanks / Like

I got my samples. Big disappointment. I can hardly even smell it, and whatever I do smell doesn't last very long. I sampled their scent Tardes and it's not too bad. Good strength and lasting power. A nice almond scent.

Received a sample. Posts #7 and #10 sum it up.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just an amazing fragrance. I've got mine from Min New York... btw, a great store in Soho.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it. It was OK, but nothing special - it's not anything I feel compelled to purchase.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I tried it. It was OK, but nothing special - it's not anything I feel compelled to purchase.
    Whats with these niche houses trying to pawn off typical no nothing designer scents on us.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Whats with these niche houses trying to pawn off typical no nothing designer scents on us.
    Yeah...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Wearing this one today. First impression: they put a lot of basenotes and forgot to add heart and proper topnotes to it. While it seems to achieve what it aims to, tobacco and leather, it seems an average interpretation of the theme. It also makes me think of a cheap agarwood oil that i once purchased on ebay a long time ago and also about an amplified vision of a smoky woody common masculine fragrance base. It's not bad, but far from exciting too.

I actually bought this. This stuff is wonderful to me. Every woman that ever smelled it fell in love. I love the Agar/Leather combo..... This, Creed's Royal Oud, and Dark Oud are my fav. And Black Afgano. I cant STAND the medicinal Oud like in Black Oud and Heely's Oud......