Code of Conduct

Default Byblos in black + pepper, wood, spicy (incense) scents

Hi, -
    1. Has anyone out there tried the Byblos in Black? How about the longevity?

I am a big fan of the notes mentioned above, BUT I'll find that most of these types of fragrances has a tendency to not last. Mark Jacobs Bang in particular! (Besides it's way too expensive!!!)
    I have also tried DSQUARED Rocky Mountain and find even this one a little flat on the peppery woodsy notes and not too good longevity... Zirh Ikon is good, but very very poor longevity, etc. etc. etc.
    I love Celine Fever, Visit and Quorum Silver (maybe no pepper in this one?) but have become interested to try other brands with the above mentioned notes.

2. Is there anyone that has some recommendations, preferably in the lower price-range, on scents with the notes listed above that lasts? Please share them with me

Default Re: Byblos in black + pepper, wood, spicy (incense) scents

Maybe Lalique Equus? I'm not sure how pricing goes in Norway, so Marc Jacobs might be more expensive there, but I'm honestly not familiar with anything very inexpensive that may suit the bill. It's also not super peppery- more nutmeg, but it is definitely warm, soft, and woodsy. Perhaps it may suit your needs?
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by anders View Post
    2. Is there anyone that has some recommendations, preferably in the lower price-range, on scents with the notes listed above that lasts? Please share them with me
    Gucci Pour Homme I
    French Lover
    CDG Monocle Scent Two: Lauel
    Voyage D'Hermes (no incense though)

many of the above are quite pricey, though...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Pour Homme by Prince De Galles

Thanks for the recommendations so far
    problem is, I live in Norway and when I buy from US the shipping costs alone is from $15 (15 is OK really) up to $35, so often the postage cost itself is more than I pay for the perfume;(
    anyway; I'll check out every recommendation you send me

Two questions - has anyone given this one a try yet? I see it going fairly cheaply on ebay already so I figure it's maybe mediocre at best, something along the line of say, a Davidoff Adventure (which is another one of those mildy peppery things). Next question is where are all of these cheap bottles of what looks to be original Byblos coming from? For a few years the dark blue amphora-ish bottle was rare and getting pricey. Now I see them all over the place selling for $30 to $40. Did someone buy them and restart things?

[QUOTE=anders;2265820]Hi, -

I bought this about 6 months ago from strawberrynet.com on sale (about $30 Aus I think for the large bottle). As far as sillage goes, it has an initial strong burst that smells a little bit like a version of Terre De Hermes, but with lemon substituted for the orange. It does linger for some time, but projection is pretty close to the skin. For an EDP it's a little dissapointing. Overall, I like it, but wouldn't re-purchase.

[QUOTE=Lovescully;2423185]
    Quote Originally Posted by anders View Post
    Hi, -

I bought this about 6 months ago from strawberrynet.com on sale (about $30 Aus I think for the large bottle). As far as sillage goes, it has an initial strong burst that smells a little bit like a version of Terre De Hermes, but with lemon substituted for the orange. It does linger for some time, but projection is pretty close to the skin. For an EDP it's a little dissapointing. Overall, I like it, but wouldn't re-purchase.
    Sorry, I forgot to add that in my opinion this has no similarity with Bang or DSQUARED Rocky Mountain! More emphasis on the citrus with a touch of insence, than on the wood aspects. Very little pepper actually comes through.

I think you would be very happy with Gucci Pour Homme. Not a cheapy though.

I got it for $15 for a 100ml bottle. Very reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes, except without the strong orange. The projection is okay and the longevity good. I prefer this to Terre d' Hermes. Gucci pour homme is superior IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovescully View Post
    ...As far as sillage goes, it has an initial strong burst that smells a little bit like a version of Terre De Hermes, but with lemon substituted for the orange. It does linger for some time, but projection is pretty close to the skin. For an EDP it's a little dissapointing. Overall, I like it, but wouldn't re-purchase.

I tested it today on an arm. Lovescully is spot on.

FWIW, a far better & far cheaper version of this is Yardley Citrus & Wood.

anders:

1) Byblos in Black is one of my worst blind buys ever, sickening chemical smell, very cheaply done...avoid it
    2) There is no substitute for Bang! I'm afraid, I also love the scent and there's really no good substitute for it. You can find it moderately priced online , it's still designer afterall

In addition to Gucci pour Homme (2003), check out Comme des Garcons Wonderwood, which also combines pepper with woods.

I bought it few months back. Pepper if one of my favorite notes and BiB is full of it. It tries to follow the TdH trend but is weaker in few aspects. It opens with a heavy blast of pepper mixed with some citrus notes (lemon!) and stays like that till the end. I did not notice any great deviation from the opening. The scent projects heavily for the first 30-40 minutes but after that it remains close to skin but lingers for 6-8 hours. Overall it is a forgettable scent and I won't miss it once the bottle is empty!!
    As MarquisdeSod said there is no substitute for Bang. If you love peppery scents then you must try Bang.
    Apart from Bang I love TdH and Burberry Beat.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

I find most of the Byblos fragrances pretty good regarding quality, silliage and longevity. I haven't tried Black, but their Sandalwood is good, as is their original mens.
    ......I always find Cacharel Pour Homme very peppery and spicy.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "