Code of Conduct

Default Anybody here posting from China? Had experience perfume shopping in China?

Hi, I am a regular MUAer and thought I would come to Basenotes with these questions. I recently moved to China and I would still like to keep up my fragrance habit. If there is anyone else here from China, I would love to hear from you. Does anyone know about swapping in/from China? What stores or markets sell fragrances? Any HE/niche stuff available in the big cities? All advice is welcome!
    I'd really love to get a Diptyque room spray to dispel the interesting intrinsic smell of my apartment. I also would like to find a market like Hongqiao or Xishui in Beijing where they sell rampant fakes, which could be a lot of fun to browse. I live in Tianjin, but Beijing is not far.
    Thanks so much! 多谢

Default Re: Anybody here posting from China? Had experience perfume shopping in China?

I haven't been to Beijing for a couple of years but Sephora is in Shanghai and certainly the luxury brands are very well represented in major cities so the likes of the Hermessences line and so on are there in the flagship stores and boutiques. Maybe some basenotes buddies in SHG will pipe up regarding the mail in/out thing but I know they rely on Hong Kong for some purchases - the prices are about 30% less here than the mainland.

I did some investigating into vintage perfumes in Shanghai (it was once 'The Paris of the East') and while I found a few lovely old botlles from the 30s I'm afraid the intervening years seemed to have laid waste to any hidden treasures from that era. I doubt there is anything much around older than a decade or so, from the early 90s when commerce started opening up.

Enjoy your stay there - maybe catch up in HK

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/60-Hong-Kong
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 29th August 2011 at 05:56 AM.

Default Re: Anybody here posting from China? Had experience perfume shopping in China?

Apparently can't send liquids out of PRC. That's what volley2 said.

Look into that.

for swap/sale:

Thanks for the info. Now I want to make the trek down to Shanghai - I do love antique shopping. What amazing treasures you must have found. I've never been to HK, but I definitely want to at some point while I'm here. Thanks!

I'm surprised the kanji you wrote showed up. 凄いですよ。(You'll probably only be able to pick out the first part)

Smile Re: Anybody here posting from China? Had experience perfume shopping in China?

As a silent frequent BNer based in Guangzhou, or Canton as it is usually pronounced in English or French in the past, I'm more than happy to share my own fragrance shopping experience in mainland Chinese.

Truth is in China you don't have access to niche brands, apart from some designer names. Fragrance counters in major shopping centers/ malls supply limited range of products of designer brands, and the same is true with Sophora.

Luckily there is Strawberry, the on-line shopping venue where just recently they've added L'artisan Parfumer, and that is how I've got my Timbuktu, Tea For Two, Mechant Loup, ...highly recommendable.

If you venture far to Hong Kong, you can easily locate the Dyptique room spray you want at Joyce in Harbour City, where you can also find LP, FM, Maison FK, and the Tom Ford Boutique.

There is this super collector from this BN community, Volley 2, based in Shanghai. He's got a fabulous collection of frags. Guess he can feed you with more infor.

So good luck with you frag shopping experience in China!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules A Canton View Post
    As a silent frequent BNer based in Guangzhou, or Canton as it is usually pronounced in English or French in the past, I'm more than happy to share my own fragrance shopping experience in mainland Chinese.

Truth is in China you don't have access to niche brands, apart from some designer names. Fragrance counters in major shopping centers/ malls supply limited range of products of designer brands, and the same is true with Sophora.

Luckily there is Strawberry, the on-line shopping venue where just recently they've added L'artisan Parfumer, and that is how I've got my Timbuktu, Tea For Two, Mechant Loup, ...highly recommendable.

If you venture far to Hong Kong, you can easily locate the Dyptique room spray you want at Joyce in Harbour City, where you can also find LP, FM, Maison FK, and the Tom Ford Boutique.

There is this super collector from this BN community, Volley 2, based in Shanghai. He's got a fabulous collection of frags. Guess he can feed you with more infor.

So good luck with you frag shopping experience in China!

Thanks so much for being unsilent, I really appreciate the advice. I do hope to make it to Hong Kong but I may have to find some other form of room spray for at least a few months. The fragrance situation as you described is as I expected, although I do have hope because it seems a lot of the locals in my area wear fragrance. I've smelled a lot of aquatic sporty stuff on the men, CK One and light florals on the girls, and even one 老太太 wearing a huge floriental like maybe Opium or something. 牛!

Quote Originally Posted by ccspringer View Post
    牛!
    Cow?

Smile Re: Anybody here posting from China? Had experience perfume shopping in China?

Quote Originally Posted by ccspringer View Post
    Thanks so much for being unsilent, I really appreciate the advice. I do hope to make it to Hong Kong but I may have to find some other form of room spray for at least a few months. The fragrance situation as you described is as I expected, although I do have hope because it seems a lot of the locals in my area wear fragrance. I've smelled a lot of aquatic sporty stuff on the men, CK One and light florals on the girls, and even one 老太太 wearing a huge floriental like maybe Opium or something. 牛!
    An old woman, 老太太,wearing Opium? That is indeed gutsy! 很牛! Lol! You can never tell.

Also, it just occurred to me if you can locate a L'occitaine in Tianjin, you may be lucky enough to find a room spray. A couple of years ago a friend gave me a big 300ml bottle of Marc Jacobs Grass. I used it quite often as room spray.

Hope you'll some something nice soon.

Also, compliments to your proper use of Chinese, well done! :-)

Long time reader & first timer poster.

My experience dated back to early 2000, when my ex-GF took me shopping in random "boutique" stores in Beijing carrying perfumes, mostly as an add-on to their cosmetic/beauty products. I bought YSL Jazz there along with a few other designer brands. Since then I've had better luck at coastal cities, ie., Shenzhen, and found their selections closely resemble that of a mall cart/kiosk here in the States. HK & Macao are your best bets there.
    As for niche brands, I'm aware Andy Tauer has a few local distributors based in HK and Shanghai carrying his products and perhaps some others, too.
    Mr. Reasonable(or Mr. Urbane hit the nail on the head with his insights on vintage perfumery there. I think he was able to procure a Patou PH thru a HK vendor, however.

Regards to Coconut and Co. I regret missing the last Guerlain tour but thx for the updates

Redundant
    Last edited by googl.plex1; 21st October 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Repeat