Code of Conduct

Default Neroli Portofino - tooth decay?

I bought this blind and I am pleased with it but it smells a lot different to what I expected having read some of the reviews on here. It is a cologne in the traditional sense as many have remarked, however NP is so sweet! After an hour or so I get a powdery sherbert sweets vibe which to be honest, I could do without. The sweetness removes the freshness and elegance of the fragrance in my opinion.

I love the blast of lemon and neroli way at the top but as is the case with most fragrances containing these notes, the moment is fleeting.

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Neroli Portofino - tooth decay?

Have you ever tried Grand Neroli by Atelier Cologne?

Nope. Should I?

You might find it less sweet or to your liking.

I will check it out, thanks hednic!

Perception of sweetness is very individual point
    have a huge sample of NP at home and IMO it is not sweet at all.

Sampled it once, and was somewhat disappointed. The issue with neroli-based colognes is longevity. In this case, it seems that the perfumer attempted to solve the longevity issue by incorporating some long-lasting synthetics. A nice idea, but to me, NP develops into something closely akin to public bathroom deodorizer. Shame, too. I really love this category of fragrance.

All that stated: that was only one in-store sampling. I should give it another try. I have a long history of loving fragrances that I didn't like upon initial sniff. NP could very well be one of those.

If nothing else, a bad full-bottle buy could work well as the world's most expensive guest bathroom air freshener.

I have only tried this one a couple of times but my guess is that this is the price you pay for the extra longevity that you wouldn't normally get with a more traditional orange flower or neroli style cologne. Once the good stuff has done it's thing the synthetics move in and take over. I have found this with one or two Tom Ford scents - they seem a bit front loaded with a sort of strained / over-extended back end. I found Neroli Portofino a bit sweet, (I also find Tobacco Vanille unwearably sweet after the first hour or so), but that's just my taste, not a criticism of the scent per se - I think it's just his style.

Sur la Plage

I find no sweetness in it whatsoever.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's sweet if neroli registers as "sweet" to you. It doesn't to me; it smells like beautiful neroli fading to soft soap.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Apollo:

if you prefer your eau de cologne less sweet (I do too) you should check Chanel's Eau de Cologne. Wonderfully fresh and zingy, while it lasts. Cheaper than the TF, too, per ml.

cacio

I tried to like Neroli Portofino (love the color of the bottles), but unfortunately on me it smells like 4711 which I loathe.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I find no sweetness in it whatsoever.
    Agree

Basenotes Institution

Not sweet to me.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Not getting sweetness. Orange-y citrus, yes. Sugary sweet, absolutely not.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

I think it's over-rated and over-priced. A one trick pony and that trick is not that well done anyway.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I just tried a sample of the new "blue bottle" version, and it most definitely has been reformulated. Gone are the original's biting, sharp citrus opening notes. The opening is now much closer to Estée Lauder's Pleasures for Women, than 4711. The dry-down seems about the same.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th August 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I just tried a sample of the new "blue bottle" version, and it most definitely has been reformulated. Gone are the original's biting, sharp citrus opening notes. The opening is now much closer to Estée Lauder's Pleasures for Women, than 4711. The dry-down seems about the same.
    That is not happy news. NP is one of my faves from the line and the top notes were heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think it's over-rated and over-priced. A one trick pony and that trick is not that well done anyway.
    I agree

I thought Neroli Portofino was O.K. until i sampled and subsequently purchased Atelier Cologne - Grand Neroli. Grand Neroli is much fresher, longer lasting with citrusy top notes that remain for hours if sprayed on your shirt. Love Grand Neroli much more that I could ever have liked Neroli Protofino.
    - Expect the unexpected

I think one should avoid blind buying perfumes.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I have the blue bottle version and it's funny that you compare the fragrance to Estee Lauder's Pleasures as NP really reminded me of a female fragrance but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

It's fascinating how some of you don't get any sweetness at all - just goes to show how our brains can perceive certain notes completely differently.