Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's Juniper Sling - Fragrance Review

Head Notes: Cinnamon, Orange Brandy, Angelica, Juniper Berry
    Heart Notes: Cardamom, Leather, Black Pepper, Orris Wood
    Base Notes: Brown Sugar, Black Cherry, Vetiver, Ambrox

First off I have to say I hate the name. It was originally going to be called Fitzrovia, which I think would have been more appropriate to the range.

The packaging itself is gorgeous and looks like sheer Art Deco class - I will post a photograph when I have more time.

I'd heard a long way in advance that this was going to be a gin based fragrance - and it doesn't lie with a glorious burst of juniper berry in the opening.

As you would expect from a Penhaligon's fragrance the opening is spectacular, a transcendent glorious burst that is both heady and envigorating - a whirl of spices dazzle, it really is delightful.

It swiftly moves into a really beautifully rendered leather note which I wish lasted much much longer with cardomom adding a spiced hint to the proceeding evolution.

And then... well, that's where it gets more complicated. You see, the basenotes of black cherry and brown sugar, vetiver (where?) and whatever Ambrox is, are so soft it is difficult to discern their individuality.

It all smells lovely, Olivier Cresp, the perfumer, has done a lovely job with it all. If at this point you can sense a "but" coming, you are absolutely right, there is.

And it's quite a big but (if you pardon the expression).

You see, I have been scathing in the past about fragrances like Aventus which I have long pilloried for being short-lived.

It would be inconsistent of me therefore to not level the same accusation at Juniper Sling, which in my opinion, based on a good few wearings, is the shortest lived fragrance thus far in the Penhaligon's line.

So much so, that if I could, I would seriously urge Penhaligon's to consider reformulation of Juniper Sling from Eau de Toilette to Eau de Parfum.

On my skin, which normally works well with most fragrances, Juniper Sling is gone in two hours. If anything is left it is so soft, it is barely there at all. I'm used to the soft skin scents of Endymion and Opus 1870, which, although hardly monsters in terms of sillage and longevity, will still give a soft aura for a good while after application.

Juniper Sling however, on my skin at least, just.... vanishes. I accept that there is the possibility of olfactory fatigue, but I doubt this. Nor do I think some kind of creeping anosmia is to blame.

My concern over this is further augmented by the price point which is over £100 for the 100ml bottle. For this price and from Penhaligon's I would expect an EdP, not an EdT.

I am a big, big fan of Penhaligon's as a house. Their last outing as a major release, Sartorial, was magnificent. Juniper Sling is a wonderful fragrance while it lasts, but I can only give it my partial backing. Longevity and projection of this fragance I believe to be problematic - and if I were in a position of authority at Penhaligon's I would seriously, VERY seriously, consider looking at a reformulation.

It has the potential for greatness, but I fear at the moment, it falls short of the mark.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Penhaligon's Juniper Sling - Fragrance Review

This is disappointing. I have had longevity issues with the decants i have, to the point where I didn't feel comfortable buying a full bottle. Was hoping this would be improved over time, but apparently not.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the review.

When is this officially released? Are you spraying from a sample/tester bottle or dabbing? I agree, the name sounds silly.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks for the review.

When is this officially released? Are you spraying from a sample/tester bottle or dabbing? I agree, the name sounds silly.

No, this is from the proper stuff and sprayed. The fragrance is relseased now-ish, I can't remember the precise release date.

That review was tough for me to write to be honest because everything it does it does well - except last.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Still looking forward to trying this, but a bit disappointing to read about the lack of longevity. On paper, I thought this might have been quite long-lasting...

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post
    Still looking forward to trying this, but a bit disappointing to read about the lack of longevity. On paper, I thought this might have been quite long-lasting...
    Stewart, I could have written this at least two weeks ago, I have been sitting on this fragrance that long, wanting to make sure my judgement on this was spot on. As a fragrance, I love it, but I can't get over its longevity. It hasn't any and I think at that price point, that's an issue.

My issue with Creed has always been the same, I would be a hypocrite therefore if I didn't apply the same rules to one of my most favourite houses.

I am buying it anyway!
    I am buying it anyway!
    I am buying it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I am buying it anyway!
    I am buying it anyway!
    I am buying it anyway!
    Good, I'm glad. It's a wonderfully constructed fragrance and I do actually love it... apart from the longevity and projection thing. It's a bit like going to bed with a wonderful, beautiful woman who is perfect in every way apart from her beard.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Good, I'm glad. It's a wonderfully constructed fragrance and I do actually love it... apart from the longevity and projection thing. It's a bit like going to bed with a wonderful, beautiful woman who is perfect in every way apart from her beard.

BTW, where did you procure a sample?

Well now that you painted that picture I'm definately not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    BTW, where did you procure a sample?
    Pre-release sample.

Head Notes: Cinnamon, Orange Brandy, Angelica, Juniper Berry
    Heart Notes: Cardamom, Leather, Black Pepper, Orris Wood
    Base Notes: Brown Sugar, Black Cherry, Vetiver, Ambrox

First off I have to say I hate the name. It was originally going to be called Fitzrovia, which I think would have been more appropriate to the range.

The packaging itself is gorgeous and looks like sheer Art Deco class - I will post a photograph when I have more time.

I'd heard a long way in advance that this was going to be a gin based fragrance - and it doesn't lie with a glorious burst of juniper berry in the opening.

As you would expect from a Penhaligon's fragrance the opening is spectacular, a transcendent glorious burst that is both heady and envigorating - a whirl of spices dazzle, it really is delightful.

It swiftly moves into a really beautifully rendered leather note which I wish lasted much much longer with cardomom adding a spiced hint to the proceeding evolution.

And then... well, that's where it gets more complicated. You see, the basenotes of black cherry and brown sugar, vetiver (where?) and whatever Ambrox is, are so soft it is difficult to discern their individuality.

It all smells lovely, Olivier Cresp, the perfumer, has done a lovely job with it all. If at this point you can sense a "but" coming, you are absolutely right, there is.

And it's quite a big but (if you pardon the expression).

You see, I have been scathing in the past about fragrances like Aventus which I have long pilloried for being short-lived.

It would be inconsistent of me therefore to not level the same accusation at Juniper Sling, which in my opinion, based on a good few wearings, is the shortest lived fragrance thus far in the Penhaligon's line.

So much so, that if I could, I would seriously urge Penhaligon's to consider reformulation of Juniper Sling from Eau de Toilette to Eau de Parfum.

On my skin, which normally works well with most fragrances, Juniper Sling is gone in two hours. If anything is left it is so soft, it is barely there at all. I'm used to the soft skin scents of Endymion and Opus 1870, which, although hardly monsters in terms of sillage and longevity, will still give a soft aura for a good while after application.

Juniper Sling however, on my skin at least, just.... vanishes. I accept that there is the possibility of olfactory fatigue, but I doubt this. Nor do I think some kind of creeping anosmia is to blame.

My concern over this is further augmented by the price point which is over £100 for the 100ml bottle. For this price and from Penhaligon's I would expect an EdP, not an EdT.

I am a big, big fan of Penhaligon's as a house. Their last outing as a major release, Sartorial, was magnificent. Juniper Sling is a wonderful fragrance while it lasts, but I can only give it my partial backing. Longevity and projection of this fragance I believe to be problematic - and if I were in a position of authority at Penhaligon's I would seriously, VERY seriously, consider looking at a reformulation.

It has the potential for greatness, but I fear at the moment, it falls short of the mark.
    Thanks for the informative review.

Hahaha thats a great line, i am gonna steal it.
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the short-lived comments; although it's not yet on display in my local Penhaligon's, they had some 'under the counter' and obliged me with a sample. Eau de Verveine and Blenheim Bouquet, applied to various parts of hand and forearm, were still very much in evidence late into the evening, whilst Juniper Sling had vanished after a couple of hours. A shame, because it smells lovely!
    Last edited by Hipparchos; 30th August 2011 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparchos View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with the short-lived comments; although it's not yet on display in my local Penhaligon's, they had some 'under the counter' and obliged me with a sample. Eau de Verveine and Blenheim Bouquet, applied to various parts of hand and forearm, were still very much in evidence late into the evening, whilst Juniper Sling had vanished after a couple of hours. A shame, because it smells lovely!

Eau de Verveine is a wonderful fragrance, I wear it often. It's like a more friendly version of Blenheim.

I love Juniper Sling right up until it reminds me of its Mayfly-like lifespan. It's such a shame.

I think Penhaligon's have got it wrong on this and should seriously reformulate to EdP and amp up the basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparchos View Post
    If Blenheim Bouquet outlasts it, that's trouble. I can barely get a half hour out of BB.

Thanks for the update HDS, I was looking forward to this new Pens, but it sounds short lived. I will give it a sniff when it hits Lucky Scent or Saks. But it sounds like it wears about like Endymion, which is a bit fleeting on me as well.

Sampled this quite a bit yesterday, and have been given a sample vial that I'm going to try today. Got to say that my impressions from yesterday were mainly "where are all these notes"? I could smell Juniper, a mild Pepper smell like the one in BB that smells a bit like dry tea leaves as well, and a mellow sweetened Cedar that I'm guessing is the Ambrox.

Weak crap. Really let down by this one.

When I first read about this I was furious because it sounds like a knock-off of one of my creations and given Penhaligon's profile compared with mine it was therefore inevitable that people would assume that I'd copied Juniper Sling (and the name is rubbish).

So reading these reviews it's hard to avoid schadenfreude. Being fair though I know from my own experience how difficult it is to get a gin based fragrance to last so I have some (reluctant) sympathy.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I am actually enamoured with this one in a BIG way!

Juniper sling is resolutely unisex, and masterfully-blended. I am wearing it as my SoTD today, and have applied it liberally. After a number of hours I cant help but fall for it... it manages to stay semi-transparent and inoffensive, but keeps reactivating from time to time on my skin.
    I love the contrasts between the crisp, slightly peppery opening and the napped iris / leather heart.

Ive just written a full review here (and am offering samples too).
    http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...ng-review.html

Any commentaries by the gents who've worn this on Octavian Coifan's massive thrashing of the excessive "detergent" base?
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...fragrance.html

Whether it's weak or "functional perfumery" on the drydown, 100 quid sounds too expensive, but I really must try this.
    Juniper Sling refers to a cocktail (as in Singapore Sling), but apparently that doesn't chime ?! Fitzrovia would have been nice, but perhaps sounds awkward to non-Londonphiles.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Plus

How well does it perform on fabric? That's usually my solution to short-lived fragrances...

TGL, I dont get a "detergent" vibe at all from the drydown. How odd... I wonder which brand Octavian is using ?

Diamond, I'll have to give that a try. Im sure its likely to hold the scent longer.

I just picked up a sample at the weekend, haven't actually tried it yet. Maybe tonight will be the night....

Yeah, I guess that Octavian guy uses very fancy detergent. All my detergent smells like lemon. Also, why bother to write a review if you can't even bring yourself to test on skin. I know many people repsect that blog, but he blows too much hot air for me to take what he says seriously. SOmetimes people love their own opinions too much!

I am wearing Juniper Sling now. It's very quiet on me. When I tested it in store I couldnt smell it at all, the sales assistant said I had numbed my nose on Violetta, so he gave me a sample to take home. I do like it, and can see myself going through the whole sample. I'll probably save it for summer.

I think they were right not to call it 'Fitzrovia' (expensive suburb in chelsea), Juniper Sling is a cool name and not elitist though I guess the price tag is

I wore it about a week ago.
    No detergent for me either. I definately got more than 2 hours' longevity though - maybe 4 hours or so.
    I thought it well done, if ultimately not my 'thing'.

Bombay Saphire Infusion slaughters Juniper Sling in all regards. Juniper sling is incredibly pale, light, dry, and boring. Shame as I was very exited for this one.

I was curious about this one (although the basenotes scared me some), but the discussion here has dampened my interest.

True! Pitty that it doesn't last for very long for it is so adorable "at first sight". Eau de parfum would make it I believe. They should work on the basenotes to capture all these nice compounds that appear so gently and exciting at the same time and make them longlasting.

Just been sampling this today and I am far from impressed. It smells very generic and cheap smelling. I guess it's a 'safe' type of scent, but for the price they charge for it, it should be spectacular.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

i agree that it should be a EDP..if it came out in and EDP i would buy a whole bottle of it ,but for now it is on my to buy list as a small decant
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Bombay Saphire Infusion slaughters Juniper Sling in all regards. Juniper sling is incredibly pale, light, dry, and boring. Shame as I was very exited for this one.
    I've heard about the Bombay Saphire fragrance, but never managed to track it down. Do you know where it can be bought ?
    Also, I'm wondering how Juniper Sling compares to the classic Gin Fizz from Lubin ??
    ps. thanks for taking the time to review this new fragrance !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

The Bombay Saphire fragrance is readily available on ebay, not sure how Juniper Sling compares to Gin Fizz.
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I've heard about the Bombay Saphire fragrance, but never managed to track it down. Do you know where it can be bought ?
    Also, I'm wondering how Juniper Sling compares to the classic Gin Fizz from Lubin ??

Wearing this today. It is a weaker version of Versace Man Eau Fraiche to my nose. Nice, but not FBW.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I got a bottle of it and love it, but you really have to go to town and waaaaay overspray it to get enough strength and longevity out of it. If you overspray it (10+ sprays) it seems to work well for ~5 hours nicely.
    Yep. I dabbed from a sample vial this AM, about 8 dabs, and it is a faint sucker to be sure. But, still a nice scent. Nice and upbeat. My wife really liked it before I walked out the door for work.

I love the scent, especially the late dry down. If they could bottle that up into a linear scent, they would have a sure winner.

I have found that there's a fine line between spraying too little and spraying too much with this one. My only real complaint is that when you give it a heavy spray, the pepper is just TOO much. It smells like you fell into a vat of McCormick ground pepper! It dies away, but in the meantime, it interferes with my overall enjoyment of the fragrance.

I've wondered if the best way to use this one is to compromise. Maybe a couple of sprays on the chest and then 1-2 directly on the shirt. Longevity is not my problem with Juniper Sling, but I know it is for most.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626