Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    Default After Shave Balms

    Do the AS Balms that come with frag gift sets or boxed sets have generally the same perfume concentration as the EDT?

    Also is it a good idea to use the balm and EDT together?

  2. #2

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyliefan001 View Post
    Do the AS Balms that come with frag gift sets or boxed sets have generally the same perfume concentration as the EDT?

    Also is it a good idea to use the balm and EDT together?
    If you search the Articles at the main site, you will come across the Aftershave Balm Endurance tests I did about a decade ago.

    Generally speaking, the concentrations vary wildly from nearly non existant to somewhere apoaching extremely good strength. Joop Homme aftershave balm was the clear winner. Drakkar Noir was the weakest from memory.
    But the concentration in any balm or splash has to be less than that in the EDT, or you will most likely have a very red, raw, stinging face.

    I wear them together. Basically because unless you buy some weird combination like 200ml of aftershave balm with a 50ml EDT bottle, I'd generally finish the balm before I had finished the EDT. Then I'd have to make up my own balm in the manner I described in the article.
    Regards,
    Renato

  3. #3

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    If you use a balm, search an alcohol free.

    A good option is Moisture balm Clarins
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

    William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

    Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  4. #4

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Someone tried the Terre d`hermès after shave balm? I`ve been searching for it a long time, but it seems difficult to find. Someone know where I can buy it on-line?

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    84,285

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    But the concentration in any balm or splash has to be less than that in the EDT, or you will most likely have a very red, raw, stinging face.
    Exactly.

  6. #6

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Someone tried the Terre d`hermès after shave balm? I`ve been searching for it a long time, but it seems difficult to find. Someone know where I can buy it on-line?
    The Hermes online store seems to have it in stock, as does Newegg and Amazon.com. Do most of these places not ship to Norway?

  7. #7

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    I don't get great longevity from any fragranced after shave balm, so I usually only use them in conjunction with the matching edt or as a stand alone just before bed. They aren't great shakes at moisturizing either, so I much prefer to use actual facial creams and serums and just let my colognes handle the scenting portion of my grooming.

  8. #8

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    The Hermes online store seems to have it in stock, as does Newegg and Amazon.com. Do most of these places not ship to Norway?
    Hermes Online doesn`t ship to my country. There is a Hermès boutique in Oslo, but they doesn`t carry the after shave balm. The price on Amazon is very expencive..

  9. #9

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    -someone tried KOUROS aftershave?

    -how ou rate it?

    -is it alcool free?





    thanks

  10. #10

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Hermes Online doesn`t ship to my country. There is a Hermès boutique in Oslo, but they doesn`t carry the after shave balm. The price on Amazon is very expencive..
    I see it for $65 USD. What price range were you hoping to get? There are also a few sellers on eBay who say they do international shipping...

  11. #11

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I see it for $65 USD. What price range were you hoping to get? There are also a few sellers on eBay who say they do international shipping...
    If you click on the 65 USD bottle, a picture of the regular (not balm) after shave comes up in the second step.. Very suspicious. The other one I find was 125 USD.

  12. #12

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    If you click on the 65 USD bottle, a picture of the regular (not balm) after shave comes up in the second step.. Very suspicious. The other one I find was 125 USD.
    Ah, so the balm and the lotion are different.

    There is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Terre-DHerme...#ht_500wt_1202

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    I can recommend the L'instant de Guerlain a/s for use with the EDT. Increases longevity, projection and adds more depth to the fragrance.

  14. #14
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Someone tried the Terre d`hermès after shave balm? I`ve been searching for it a long time, but it seems difficult to find. Someone know where I can buy it on-line?
    I have it. I bought it at Saks. It's quite excellent, both in smell and skin-soothing properties. The odor is lighter than the EDT but more tenacious, and just different enough to be interesting. I use the deodorant, too, when I wear TdH. The entire ensemble is sillage city, all day long.



    I bought it at Saks here in the States. It wasn't cheap, but I feel that it was a good buy. Really great bottle and dispensing mechanism.
    * * * *

  15. #15

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    I dont like balms, they very oily, wich bothers my face. I much prefer the regular liquid aftershaves.

  16. #16

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Hardly any similar concentration, besides an unscented after shave balm offers much more freedom in terms of putting on any scent

  17. #17

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I have it. I bought it at Saks. It's quite excellent, both in smell and skin-soothing properties. The odor is lighter than the EDT but more tenacious, and just different enough to be interesting. I use the deodorant, too, when I wear TdH. The entire ensemble is sillage city, all day long.



    I bought it at Saks here in the States. It wasn't cheap, but I feel that it was a good buy. Really great bottle and dispensing mechanism.
    -Do you think it will work well together with the Terre d`hermes pure perfume ? Or are they too different to "mix" ?

  18. #18

    Default

    I have a vintage Antaeus balm that's stronger than the edt. Great longevity and sillage
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

  19. #19

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    L'Occitane after shave balms are IMO very nice.
    I like the L'Occitane and Eau des Baux balms, coupled with the EDT's.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

  20. #20
    Dependent morrison74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    2,160

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Someone tried the Terre d`hermès after shave balm? I`ve been searching for it a long time, but it seems difficult to find. Someone know where I can buy it on-line?
    This is the best performing and smelling after shave balm I have ever used. I got mine as a gift. I'm not sure where it can be purchased on-line, sorry.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

    Wanted



  21. #21

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    This is the best performing and smelling after shave balm I have ever used. I got mine as a gift. I'm not sure where it can be purchased on-line, sorry.
    I love Terre d`hermes, and I use the pure parfume version regulary. Do you think it`s ok to use the pure parfume and the after shave balm together, or is the differences so big that it will be "crash" ?

  22. #22

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    -someone tried KOUROS aftershave?

    -how ou rate it?

    -is it alcool free?





    thanks

    up!

  23. #23
    Dependent morrison74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    2,160

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I love Terre d`hermes, and I use the pure parfume version regulary. Do you think it`s ok to use the pure parfume and the after shave balm together, or is the differences so big that it will be "crash" ?
    Hmmm, interesting question. I think you would be able to use them both together, though I've only ever used the edt with the balm. Unfortunately, I no longer have the pure parfum version to try it out for you.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

    Wanted



  24. #24

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Has anyone tried or have the M7 aftershave balm? If so how do you like it?

  25. #25

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Has anyone tried or have the M7 aftershave balm? If so how do you like it?

    looks like nobody buys YSL aftershaves.

  26. #26

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    Most luxurious aftershave balm I ever tried was an Aqua di Parma one.
    Closely followed by Tiffany for Men.

    Best value ones used to be the Calvin klein ones where they had the big 200ml tube going for the same price as everyone else's 100ml tube. I don't know if that's still the case.

    Strangest aftershave balm was L'Occitane's Cade - it smelled so good I wanted to buy the EDT, but the shopkeepers in Italy kept telling me it didn't exist - and it didn't.

    Favourite aftershave balm is still Rexona for Men - no scent and no wet look. It's hard to find now, but I still have 8 tubes in reserve.

    Aftershave gels are weird. I've only tried three - 212 Men and it stung a bit, Malazia Uomo and it stung a bit, and Lattitude Longitude - it stung like hell.
    Renato

  27. #27
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,228

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    2 Man After Shave Gel by Comme des Garcons is fantastic. It's the consistency of hair gel, but smoother and the smell compliments the EdT very nicely.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  28. #28

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    The Bvlgari Man aftershave balm is excellent. Wonderful texture and smell that lasts all day, although is significantly quieter than the EdT (as it should be). I don't tend to use it as an aftershave though so much though, I tend to use a drop on each arm and use it as a scented lotion. The scent is close to the EdT although softer and less dry/woody/sharp, which again, I think makes perfect sense given its intended use on the face. The woodiness present in the EdT might be a bit much when it's that close to your nose, so I'm glad they toned it down.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  29. #29

    Default Re: After Shave Balms

    I tend to buy coordinated aftershave balm. My vote for Eau de Rochas pour Homme, really good on the skin and not too strong. The thing is that you don't really want your face to be scented... it gives headache on the long run, and when someone kisses you it tastes bitter or so i've been told!
    I tried Hypnose Homme as well, like it too, although it has got a slightly deeper scent, very short lived, but quite intense. Love it.
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Similar Threads

  1. Should I even bother with scented aftershave balms?
    By Jay D in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31st May 2010, 05:47 PM
  2. Shelf life of balms, moisturisers etc in fragrance's giftsets?
    By Smoth_007 in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24th February 2010, 10:50 AM
  3. Aftershave Balms, can they be used as hand lotions?
    By Redcomet in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6th November 2006, 09:55 PM
  4. Aftershave Balms
    By ChrisW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18th May 2006, 05:23 AM
  5. Aftershave Balms
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000