Code of Conduct

Default After Shave Balms

Do the AS Balms that come with frag gift sets or boxed sets have generally the same perfume concentration as the EDT?

Also is it a good idea to use the balm and EDT together?

Default Re: After Shave Balms

Quote Originally Posted by Kyliefan001 View Post
    Do the AS Balms that come with frag gift sets or boxed sets have generally the same perfume concentration as the EDT?

Also is it a good idea to use the balm and EDT together?
    If you search the Articles at the main site, you will come across the Aftershave Balm Endurance tests I did about a decade ago.

Generally speaking, the concentrations vary wildly from nearly non existant to somewhere apoaching extremely good strength. Joop Homme aftershave balm was the clear winner. Drakkar Noir was the weakest from memory.
    But the concentration in any balm or splash has to be less than that in the EDT, or you will most likely have a very red, raw, stinging face.

I wear them together. Basically because unless you buy some weird combination like 200ml of aftershave balm with a 50ml EDT bottle, I'd generally finish the balm before I had finished the EDT. Then I'd have to make up my own balm in the manner I described in the article.
    Regards,
    Renato

If you use a balm, search an alcohol free.

A good option is Moisture balm Clarins
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone tried the Terre d`hermès after shave balm? I`ve been searching for it a long time, but it seems difficult to find. Someone know where I can buy it on-line?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    But the concentration in any balm or splash has to be less than that in the EDT, or you will most likely have a very red, raw, stinging face.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Someone tried the Terre d`hermès after shave balm? I`ve been searching for it a long time, but it seems difficult to find. Someone know where I can buy it on-line?
    The Hermes online store seems to have it in stock, as does Newegg and Amazon.com. Do most of these places not ship to Norway?

I don't get great longevity from any fragranced after shave balm, so I usually only use them in conjunction with the matching edt or as a stand alone just before bed. They aren't great shakes at moisturizing either, so I much prefer to use actual facial creams and serums and just let my colognes handle the scenting portion of my grooming.

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    The Hermes online store seems to have it in stock, as does Newegg and Amazon.com. Do most of these places not ship to Norway?
    Hermes Online doesn`t ship to my country. There is a Hermès boutique in Oslo, but they doesn`t carry the after shave balm. The price on Amazon is very expencive..

-someone tried KOUROS aftershave?

-how ou rate it?

-is it alcool free?

thanks

Hermes Online doesn`t ship to my country. There is a Hermès boutique in Oslo, but they doesn`t carry the after shave balm. The price on Amazon is very expencive..
    I see it for $65 USD. What price range were you hoping to get? There are also a few sellers on eBay who say they do international shipping...

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I see it for $65 USD. What price range were you hoping to get? There are also a few sellers on eBay who say they do international shipping...
    If you click on the 65 USD bottle, a picture of the regular (not balm) after shave comes up in the second step.. Very suspicious. The other one I find was 125 USD.

If you click on the 65 USD bottle, a picture of the regular (not balm) after shave comes up in the second step.. Very suspicious. The other one I find was 125 USD.
    Ah, so the balm and the lotion are different.

There is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Terre-DHerme...#ht_500wt_1202

Banned

I can recommend the L'instant de Guerlain a/s for use with the EDT. Increases longevity, projection and adds more depth to the fragrance.

Blog Entries

I have it. I bought it at Saks. It's quite excellent, both in smell and skin-soothing properties. The odor is lighter than the EDT but more tenacious, and just different enough to be interesting. I use the deodorant, too, when I wear TdH. The entire ensemble is sillage city, all day long.

I bought it at Saks here in the States. It wasn't cheap, but I feel that it was a good buy. Really great bottle and dispensing mechanism.

I dont like balms, they very oily, wich bothers my face. I much prefer the regular liquid aftershaves.

Hardly any similar concentration, besides an unscented after shave balm offers much more freedom in terms of putting on any scent

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I have it. I bought it at Saks. It's quite excellent, both in smell and skin-soothing properties. The odor is lighter than the EDT but more tenacious, and just different enough to be interesting. I use the deodorant, too, when I wear TdH. The entire ensemble is sillage city, all day long.

I bought it at Saks here in the States. It wasn't cheap, but I feel that it was a good buy. Really great bottle and dispensing mechanism.
    -Do you think it will work well together with the Terre d`hermes pure perfume ? Or are they too different to "mix" ?

I have a vintage Antaeus balm that's stronger than the edt. Great longevity and sillage
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

L'Occitane after shave balms are IMO very nice.
    I like the L'Occitane and Eau des Baux balms, coupled with the EDT's.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

This is the best performing and smelling after shave balm I have ever used. I got mine as a gift. I'm not sure where it can be purchased on-line, sorry.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    This is the best performing and smelling after shave balm I have ever used. I got mine as a gift. I'm not sure where it can be purchased on-line, sorry.
    I love Terre d`hermes, and I use the pure parfume version regulary. Do you think it`s ok to use the pure parfume and the after shave balm together, or is the differences so big that it will be "crash" ?

Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    -someone tried KOUROS aftershave?

-how ou rate it?

-is it alcool free?

thanks

up!

I love Terre d`hermes, and I use the pure parfume version regulary. Do you think it`s ok to use the pure parfume and the after shave balm together, or is the differences so big that it will be "crash" ?
    Hmmm, interesting question. I think you would be able to use them both together, though I've only ever used the edt with the balm. Unfortunately, I no longer have the pure parfum version to try it out for you.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Has anyone tried or have the M7 aftershave balm? If so how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Has anyone tried or have the M7 aftershave balm? If so how do you like it?

looks like nobody buys YSL aftershaves.

Most luxurious aftershave balm I ever tried was an Aqua di Parma one.
    Closely followed by Tiffany for Men.

Best value ones used to be the Calvin klein ones where they had the big 200ml tube going for the same price as everyone else's 100ml tube. I don't know if that's still the case.

Strangest aftershave balm was L'Occitane's Cade - it smelled so good I wanted to buy the EDT, but the shopkeepers in Italy kept telling me it didn't exist - and it didn't.

Favourite aftershave balm is still Rexona for Men - no scent and no wet look. It's hard to find now, but I still have 8 tubes in reserve.

Aftershave gels are weird. I've only tried three - 212 Men and it stung a bit, Malazia Uomo and it stung a bit, and Lattitude Longitude - it stung like hell.
    Renato

Basenotes Institution

2 Man After Shave Gel by Comme des Garcons is fantastic. It's the consistency of hair gel, but smoother and the smell compliments the EdT very nicely.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

The Bvlgari Man aftershave balm is excellent. Wonderful texture and smell that lasts all day, although is significantly quieter than the EdT (as it should be). I don't tend to use it as an aftershave though so much though, I tend to use a drop on each arm and use it as a scented lotion. The scent is close to the EdT although softer and less dry/woody/sharp, which again, I think makes perfect sense given its intended use on the face. The woodiness present in the EdT might be a bit much when it's that close to your nose, so I'm glad they toned it down.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I tend to buy coordinated aftershave balm. My vote for Eau de Rochas pour Homme, really good on the skin and not too strong. The thing is that you don't really want your face to be scented... it gives headache on the long run, and when someone kisses you it tastes bitter or so i've been told!
    I tried Hypnose Homme as well, like it too, although it has got a slightly deeper scent, very short lived, but quite intense. Love it.
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)