Code of Conduct

Default Sweaty note in Rose 31

I have been wearing rose 31 alot lately and I absolutely love it....
    But there is something in it that smells like an old man's musty, dried-sweat chunky christmas sweater? That and crayons. For those if you with discerning noses, what note(s) are responsible for this? Or am I alone in this perception?
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

Default Re: Sweaty note in Rose 31

cumin? plus the musk?

Though I have to say I don't get those associations at all with this wonderful fragrance, it has to be the cumin that you are referring to.

A very sharp cumin that ruins the scent for me. Gucci Eau de Parfum has lots of cumin too, but they tempered it by making it creamier.

Blog Entries

Crayons...I've heard that about musk before I think, plus there's oud in there...I just bought a bottle yesterday. It is a bit sweaty!

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I like that note, it's kind of the same one in Greyland from Montale but stronger and sharper. Reminds me more of food for some reason than sweat or B.O. but I could see that some people would be offended.

My little daughter thinks any ouds or cumin ones are STINKY haha. She's 4 she'll learn !
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

I absolutely despise the note of cumin in most fragrances. But somehow they really pulled off a winner in Rose 31. I think it is pretty much the perfect amount to keep this fragrance a little edgy and masculine. Rose 31 is nearly a signature scent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaybans View Post
    cumin
    Yup.

I don't get the cumin very much.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I don't get the cumin very much.
    Not me either.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaybans View Post
    cumin
    Yup

The cumin note comes out more on different skin types. I've tried this side by side with my girlfriend. On her the rose lifts beautifully, on me, the cumin and dark spiciness comes out more. It's all good though, a great fragrance.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

People will think I'm insane saying this but maybe it is the ROSE. On my skin roses turn to the smell of dried sweat. I have the smell of dried sweat every time I wear fragrances that focus on rose such as Sa Majeste la Rose or Tea Rose

I don't get much of the sweaty cumin note in Rose 31 myself, but it's there. Le Labo likes a bit 'o nasty in many of their scents.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I don't get much of the sweaty cumin note in Rose 31 myself, but it's there. Le Labo likes a bit 'o nasty in many of their scents.
    I completely agree, each scent that I have bought seems to have a bit o nasty in it. That "fresh" idea is maybe why I am drawn to this house so much lately.
    I don't get a ton of cumin in rose 31, but u can definitely see how the combination of the two is at work with the musty sweat smell I get from it....oddly I think that's why I like it!
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."