Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First date picks

Tentatively I have a date with an older woman ( shes 29 I am 25) coming up and she approached me first. I have laid out 3 options so far that I am looking to use. Tell me your opinions.

to play it safe: green irish tweed

to be bold: tobacco vanille or musc ravaguer, perhaps angel men

Default Re: First date picks

Safe

i'd play it safe also.

in case you two don't click

GIT--definitely. Bring out those heavy hitters on the subsequent dates.
    What I've been wearing far too much of lately:

-Amouage Lyric Man
    -Guerlain Gourmand Coquin
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

Go safe. Clean and light is the key.
    I would go with Mugler Cologne, or his rich brother, Original Vetiver

i got orig vetiver too, good choices guys.

First date I would go safe, but a bit off the beaten path. Looking at your collection I would actually reach for MI over GIT. Sure, GIT is considered a classic around here, but to anyone who isn't that savvy on fragrances, it just might come off as Cool Water, not that it's a problem, but MI may keep her guessing a bit more. Clean but unique. Just my opinion.

GIT.

Tobacco Vanille is for earners!
    Current infatuations:

1. M7
    2. Encre Noire
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. A*Men
    5. Chergui

I'm sorry I had to laugh at "older woman" applied to a 29-year-old.

David, you can work anyof those. Only the A*Men is a risky because some people just don't like it.

Go Safe my friend. Don't pull out the big guns just yet! Go classy and refined then get your 'dirt' on later!!!!!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sillypants View Post
    Tobacco Vanille is for earners!
    I will agree with this. In a first date scenario TV screams, "I'M TRYING REALLY HARD TO IMPRESS YOU!" but not in the sort of way that's any form of appealing. Save it for later. It's better to be alluring than brash on the first date.

I'd say give a powerful and bold first impression, and start with the bolder scents you listed, preferably Tobacco Vanille. Starting off bold and giving your best fragrance forward in my view trumps the idea of starting light or regular, as you probably won't be remembered much.

I'd go with GIT or OV. If you still like her after a few dates, then you can step up to the heavy stuff. The weather should be cooler by then as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    I'd say give a powerful and bold first impression, and start with the bolder scents you listed, preferably Tobacco Vanille. Starting off bold and giving your best fragrance forward in my view trumps the idea of starting light or regular, as you probably won't be remembered much.

GIT or not your list is DHI, another good one.

GIT for sure.

Lol, 29 is "older" Better put on some Habit Rouge for your date with grandma......

Might be too common but what about La Nuit ?

Perhaps if you did an extremely light application of TV, it might work. As in something like one spray, maybe one more under your shirt. It's such a great scent that it's worth wearing, but it can be so overpowering.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

GIT or OV, lightly. You can never go wrong with too little and it's easy to mess things up with too much.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    GIT or OV, lightly. You can never go wrong with too little and it's easy to mess things up with too much.
    Agree, just a light application... smelling clean and fresh is the best idea for a 1st date but a heavy application can be a real turn off.

GIT without any hesitation. It doesn't smell like Cool Water, it's clean, classy and refined - but not too imposing. It's absolutely perfect for this situation.

Actually it's perfect for most situations. You just can't go wrong with this one.

None of them ar scents for hugging. I would go freshly showered, clean, hair washed.

I will go with Millésime Impérial, as she for sure must had sniffed GIT already on another guy (if not at least Davidoff Cool water, for sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    I will go with Millésime Impérial, as she for sure must had sniffed GIT already on another guy (if not at least Davidoff Cool water, for sure)
    Yup.

A few suggestions:

1. Aventus - CREED
    2. New Haarlem - Bond No. 9
    3. Pure Malt - Thierry Mugler
    4. La Nuit De L'Homme - Yves Saint Laurent
    5. Dior Homme Intense - Dior
    6. Chergui - Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    A few suggestions:

1. Aventus - CREED
    2. New Haarlem - Bond No. 9
    3. Pure Malt - Thierry Mugler
    4. La Nuit De L'Homme - Yves Saint Laurent
    5. Dior Homme Intense - Dior
    6. Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Sh*t I didn't read your entire post.

I would play it safe with GIT. However I do recommend from my list Aventus as a substitution for GIT.

Anyone saying to pick MI over GIT due to the latter's similarity to Cool Water I think has to consider the similarity of the former to Unforgiveable, given how popular that was several years ago. What type of venue is this first date going to be in? That more than anything might dictate whether to play it safe or go in more risky business style, but all of your options would work and if not, surely this elderly woman can appreciate the divine pleasure of Platinum Egoiste

I would just play it safe and go for Musc Koublai Khan. I mean it might be a bit generic but might as well choose a people pleaser!
    But in all seriousness, just go for the GIT; forget the Cool Water comparisons, you're gonna smell classy and even if she does mistake it for Cool water she'll probably think to herself "hmm I've never had Cool Water smell that good on a guy before" and that'll leave its own impression.

GIT if you want to date with her.
    Musc Ravageur if you want to have a sex with her.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Thierry Mugler Pure Energy

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Nothing 'interesting'. Nothing weird. Maybe nothing. Think bland.

Bvlgari Soir
    Gendarme
    GIT

If things go well then on future dates you can whip out the sophicasted fragrances like DHI, L"instant etc...

Rochas Man
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Let her know you are a REAL MAN AND WEAR Aramis or Kouros.lol

Tobacco Vanilla carefully applied.

Wow. Whats with all this "play it safe" crap? Be bold! Run with Tobacco Vanille. Order a scotch on the rocks. Open doors for her, take charge.

Go safe. From your wardrobe i'd go with either Chanel PE or D&G Light Blue depending on what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Let her know you are a REAL MAN AND WEAR Aramis or Kouros.lol
    Or Mazzolari Lui. If anything else that will cement your status as the only real man in the room.

I'm sorry, but I say be risky. I don't think it can be overstated that with many people, there is an inner beast waiting to come out. Think about all the "nice girls" who like "bad boys, tattoos, motorcycles," etc. I know I'm exaggerating, but if you put on a more risky frag, but apply lightly, it might just create an intrigue in this woman, and as a result she might keep coming back for more. Hope this helps.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Banned

Choose whatever you feel confident wearing. It will be your personality, body language and conversation that will grab and hold her interest. I very much doubt that she'll want a second date based soley on your choice of fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ahep2007 View Post
    Choose whatever you feel confident wearing. It will be your personality, body language and conversation that will grab and hold her interest. I very much doubt that she'll want a second date based soley on your choice of fragrance.
    +1 A well-considered answer.

Don't over-analyse it, dude. If she likes you, she'll find something nice to say about your choice of cologne. If she doesn't, you could be wearing a $10000 fragrance befitting a sultan and she'll still find something negative to say about it. Right now, I'm smelling more of a jittery vibe...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    +1 A well-considered answer.

Don't over-analyse it, dude. If she likes you, she'll find something nice to say about your choice of cologne. If she doesn't, you could be wearing a $10000 fragrance befitting a sultan and she'll still find something negative to say about it. Right now, I'm smelling more of a jittery vibe...
    Well said. Though I do think you can pick the wrong fragrance, and really give off a "I severely lack confidence and am making up with it with a loud fragrance" sort of vibe. All boils down to personality either way though.

i would say be safe and go with GIT, but i did notice that you have VIW on your list. imo, i would 2 sprays of VIW. no more

Every man has fragrances which women simply respond to more than the others. For me, I have been complimented most on SMW, so that would be something that I strongly consider (for myself). I have some others (i.e. Versace man Fraiche, Fierce, Canali, etc.) but you basically want to go with something that you already know works well on you, because women have already told you it works well on you.

Fragrance isn't even that important in your situation, unless you over-spray, in which case it may ruin your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    I'm sorry, but I say be risky. I don't think it can be overstated that with many people, there is an inner beast waiting to come out. Think about all the "nice girls" who like "bad boys, tattoos, motorcycles," etc. I know I'm exaggerating, but if you put on a more risky frag, but apply lightly, it might just create an intrigue in this woman, and as a result she might keep coming back for more. Hope this helps.

How about instead of playing it bold or safe, play it "confident " ? and choose the scent from your wardrobe that makes you feel that way .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

the "GIT will smell like Cool Water" comments are always so funny to me. It's similar for about 4 minutes, so if you're going on a 4 minute date where you will be applying GIT at the table, you're screwed!

Otherwise, GIT has no resemblance to Cool Water. Go with your gut bro, and I have a feeling your gut says GIT. I've had several girls at work this week alone that just hover around me to get a whiff of it.

Agree with all the comments about personality and being confidant.

Practically speaking, I would focus more on what you'll be doing on the date and less on the fact that it's a first date. She already approached you, so she's interested - not sure why there is a focus on being safe at all.

Is this a daytime date or night time? Are you having a picnic, going to a museum, catching a movie, getting drinks, hitting a club or concert at night? These things, to me, matter more than the fact it's a first date. Adjust your options accordingly.

Just wear what you feel confidant and comfortable wearing, taking into consideration what you'll be doing or where you'll be going with her.

Please, no GIT.
    Don't do it!!! WARNING!!!

A light application of Musc Ravageur, imo.
    I would say something like 2 sprays on the chest.
    If the sprayer emits a lot of juice, go for 1.

The vanilla with that dirty edge will tingle her senses.
    If lightly applied.

No, I cannot be held responsible for pregnancies.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    How about instead of playing it bold or safe, play it "confident " ? and choose the scent from your wardrobe that makes you feel that way .
    This +100. Wear what YOU like. Fragrance choice is all about self expression. Go with what makes you feel good

Well, NOT A*men. I'd like to say wear what you like, but some frags can be repulsive to others and IMO A*men is one of them.
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

Plenty of women do not like MR, it is a very divisive frag. There was a MKK vs MR thread in the female forum that pointed this out pretty clearly. She may love MR though, who knows?... but GIT is far safer IMO.

A*Men ---> worst choice of them all

In case you decided to go bold...

And if you want to play safe go with GIT.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    None of them ar scents for hugging. I would go freshly showered, clean, hair washed.
    1+

I love fragrances but not on first dates...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    1+

Hmm... I thought fragrances were part of "giving a first impression" alongside with the personality and behavior of the user...
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    1+

I didn't realize some people would prefer no scent on a first date. What is it about a first date that makes no scent best, does it have to do with smelling someone's natural self?

I like MI from your wardrobe for this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm sorry I had to laugh at "older woman" applied to a 29-year-old.

David, you can work anyof those. Only the A*Men is a risky because some people just don't like it.
    "Older woman" at 29? LOL?
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Twentieth Date Picks - Just make sure you wear clean socks and you're good to go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I didn't realize some people would prefer no scent on a first date. What is it about a first date that makes no scent best, does it have to do with smelling someone's natural self?
    I think it takes some of the pressure off, if the guy/girl show up a little less formal. A first date is basically just to say hello, and make some friendly small talk.

Clean and well dressed *always*... but not trying so hard. Also, remember, some people HATE fragrance and don't get them.
    I think first dates are really best if keep short and casual, like a coffee or a drink or whatever, with the second date being more of a dress-to-impress formal *date*.

Just my opinion.

Or, alternatively, wear the same fragrance you were wearing when she approached you?
    Last edited by Fleurine; 3rd September 2011 at 06:41 AM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.