Code of Conduct

Default Shampoo and 'cones'

Okay, I'm still bemoaning the discontinuation of the shampoo that made my wavy hair fuss-free. I'm desperately trying to find something that works, and I've hit on a couple of things to replace my Jhirmack Shine Shampoo.

So far, the only thing that has worked somewhat similarly is BIOPLUS Color Care Shampoo/Conditioner by SoSilk. But I hate the smell of the conditioner. It smells like gouda cheese. Seriously. Gecckkk! (I don't like gouda. Well, okay, I had a smoked gouda once that was pretty good, but that was the exception. And I was probably really hungry.)

Husband gets to hear me complain every morning, about the latest thing I've tried that hasn't worked. He said the obvious, "Why don't you find out what's in it that works on your hair?" Duh. Well, so, I did a little research on MakeUpAlley (God! I love that site. It's like Basenotes for beauty products. Anytime I find something's been discontinued, I can find others who are equally distraught, and are looking for replacements.) So, anyway, there was a discussion about shampoo and cones. Cones? I had no idea what they were talking about. Well, apparently 'cones' refer to various silicones that can be found in hair products. There's so much talk about how "cones" are bad, etc. etc. Well, I compared the shampoos that worked, versus the ones that didn't, and the thing that separates them is. . . cones!

Cone-less: Frizzy like Cameron Diaz in "Being John Malkovich" and makes me wanna shave my head a la Britney Spears
    Cone-y: I can actually see myself being patient enough grow out to Crystal Gayle lengths.

So why are cones bad? Do you use cones?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Shampoo and 'cones'

here's one explanation of why silicones work;
    http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/2...for-your-hair/
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Thank you, knit at nite!

I also found another site with simplified pictures: Proctor & Gamble site
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Pantene has a conditioner with silicone - ultra smooth or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelMae View Post
    Pantene has a conditioner with silicone - ultra smooth or something like that.
    Thank you for your suggestion, HazelMael. I used to use my boyfriend's Pantene (he had REALLY REALLY curly hair), but for some reason, although it worked great for *his* hair, separating the curls well, and reducing frizz, it did *NOT* work on my hair. It tended to weigh my hair down, and in the end, I didn't get that shiny, wavy look that my current shampoo does. I'm not sure why the difference. I do feel that Pantene probably has a higher ratio of 'cones' than Jhirmack does.

In other news, I gave up on the BioPlus shampoo. Two days of it, and my hair was not looking so hot. Dull. I still had to put putty in my hair to get the strands to stay. And then, the ends would frizz like a broombrush. And then there was that gouda cheese smell. I just can't abide that.

SO I'm still searching.

I am thinking maybe it's the 'cones' but also proteins. In a particular ratio.

on another board I visit someone mentioned their hairdresser said never use Pantene it is bad for your hair. So of course people started well your hairdresser is trying to sell you what they sell. Then others came forward and said no my hairdresser said the same. None of said hairdressers tried to sell their products to clients.

The way I heard was cones smooth the hair, but attrach dirt so you actually wash your hair more which many think is not good for the hair. Oh and of course you use more product and buy quicker.

I used John Masters or Kevin Murphy no cones.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Kerastase does really effective smoothing serums but my hair still frizzes no matter what I use. Hence the new flat iron which really works wonders!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    The way I heard was cones smooth the hair, but attrach dirt
    That was part of the problem with the Pantene. Aside from weighing my hair down and making it look stringy, it seemed to attract dust!! I could have made a killing re-selling it on dust-mops as a kind of static-y dust cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Kerastase does really effective smoothing serums but my hair still frizzes no matter what I use. Hence the new flat iron which really works wonders!
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mimi. Yeah, I caved and bought a straightening iron for the first time in my life. It does help tame the frizz, but it's a lot more work than I care for. And it looks weird to me -- having stick-straight hair. This particular shampoo that I'm trying to replace -- it doesn't straighten my hair. It leaves it with my natural waves, but without the frizz. I actually could use the shampoo without conditioner, and it still worked well! I have tried so many shampoos in the past few months -- with and without serums/leave-in conditioners, etc. And nothing I've found is as fuss-free as this shampoo! I'm really wondering what I will do after it runs out, because I really do not miss those days of perpetual "bad hair days."

Basenotes Institution

Aiona- perhaps you can try Ojon hair products ! That stuff is pretty damned good. Really Keratase is excellent as well and worth the price. The serum I am using is called Keratase Elixir Ultime - it's their latest anti frizz stuff. You only need one pump. My hair though is a barometer of humidity . The moment the weather turns humid my hair goes' ZING' in the worst way .

I agree about the flat iron giving a really 'flat' stick straight look . On the bright side , the flat stick straight look is very chic looking and looks well groomed, polished. I bought a Remington Wet 2 Dry iron and it takes just 5 minutes to get rid of the frizz. I put a little water in my hair ,a little serum and then iron out chunks of hair at the same time. The end look is not too flat but just smooth . I think I have got the hang of it now.
    Good luck .I betcha you look very elegant and chic with your ironed hair.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    My hair though is a barometer of humidity . The moment the weather turns humid my hair goes' ZING' in the worst way .
    Yep, that's my hair, too. :S

I'll look for the Ojon when I'm in the city next!

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I used John Masters or Kevin Murphy no cones.
    I'll look into these as well! Thanks, donna255.

Be careful of Ojon, Estee Lauder bought the company two years ago. Now people are complaining they have reformulated and changed the product and they are not the same.

A good way to try Ojon is QVC.com, you have a 30 day money back guarantee.
    DONNA

Hi Aiona, I am wavy/curly and live in a humid place so definitely know about frizz! Also hair-obsessed and used to be a barber...

I find, personally, that since ditching the silicones my hair has improved considerably. My hairdresser explained this as:

Sulfate detergents strip the hair
    'Cones need sulfates to remove them.

So it's not exactly that silicones are bad for the hair, it's more that if you do not use products with heavy/sticky silicones, or mineral oils, you can move to gentler shampoos, which in general are much better for curly hair.

I use DevaCare Low-Poo
    Fake Matrix Biolage Balm from Walgreens
    Leave-in conditioner of either the DevaCare OneC or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    and Gel for styling.

So silicones yes definitely will seal up the hair and make it less frizzy, but they will generally make your hair more damaged over time because you will use stronger shampoo to remove them. Which then can make your hair more frizzy. I did not "believe" in this until I tried it, but I do have an all-new batch of hair at this point and it is way less tangly, way less frizzy, a little more curly but not too much, not troublesome. It's like it's moisturized from the inside instead of sealed up from the outside.

So in my experience taking silicones AND SULFATE shampoos out of the rotation did result in improvement. I still use sulfates in body washes, etc., not scared of 'em or anything, just don't use them in my hair often, maybe 3x a year.

I find a lot of good advice on www.naturallycurly.com too.

I don't have naturally curly hair but I have fine hair that likes to do its own thing no matter what I do to it, so for the past five years I have relied on DevaCurl No-Poo. It gets my hair looking better than anything else I have used long-term, and it is sulfate free.

No silicone hair products by Living Proof. Great stuff, a tad $ http://www.livingproof.com/no-frizz/how-to-use

Wow, I see there've been a lot of "Yays" for DevaCurl No-Poo, since I last checked this thread!

In the meantime, I just wanted to report I found something that works. And it is the most amazing thing. I had a co-worker who adopted a little girl who had REALLY REALLY curly hair. She was at her wits end trying to get her hair to look nice, and she asked someone what to do. Her friend recommended something at the local Family Dollar. So the next time I saw her with her daughter, she had the most gorgeous little ringlet curls, I'd ever seen in person!

I asked her what she used, and she said, "It's called 'Family-something'. I got it at the Dollar Store."

That was months ago. I don't usually shop there, as I mostly go to the grocery store, where I can get pretty much everything I need. But last week, I stopped by there, on my lunch break, and I found what she was talking about. It was their generic de-tangler. WOW! I've used it this past week, and. . . it's a miracle!

I checked the ingredients, and it *is* full of 'cones. But it works! And it has virtually no smell. So I can use it with pretty much everything. And best of all, it was only a buck-fifty.

I feel like I wasted so much money in the last few months (one of the shampoos I bought cost $13 for a mere 12 oz.), when I should have just followed my co-workers advice.