Code of Conduct

Default Anyone else worried about their fragrances being damaged by summer heat during shipping?

I recently purchased a bottle of Versace L'Homme direct from Amazon that was shipping from NY to my apt in LA and obviously due to shipping regulations, the package had to be sent via ground transport only. When I went to sign the package from the UPS deliveryman at my door, I was surprised at how hot the box felt. I quickly opened the package and the cologne box itself felt equally hot as well despite a considerable amount of paper padding around it (more than just warm).

Considering that I received this around 5pm and this box had probably been sitting in the non air conditioned portion of the UPS truck in 90+ degree weather of LA all day, I wasn't sure if this had caused any damage to the fragrance. Then I began to consider if this was pretty much the high heat conditions it had experienced during the 5 day ground transport from NY to LA and wonder why this is why reviewers often think they have gotten a fake due to the lack of longevity of a fragrance when in fact a legit product could've just been damaged in shipping by the high heat of summer. I'm wearing it now and it seems okay thus far, but anyone else have thoughts on this receiving packages in the mail during the summer?

Default Re: Anyone else worried about their fragrances being damaged by summer heat during shipping?

I live in Phoenix where its been around 110-115 and yeah I've been getting some hot fragrances in the mail. I haven't noticed any problems with the fragrances though. It does worry me but so far no problems.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Default Re: Anyone else worried about their fragrances being damaged by summer heat during shipping?

It's sunlight that's worse than heat.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I would consider it a problem if the bottle sits in a 90 + heat/humidity all summer.

I think you're fine .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    It's sunlight that's worse than heat.
    Good to know, didn't realize that was the case, always thought extreme temperatures were as bad as sunlight. I've always stored all of my fragrances in their original boxes and to my nose none of them have gone bad, even with some of them having been purchased when I was in high school (~2001)

I have never had problems with scents arriving in the thick of summer thankfully.

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

i've never worried about this either. I think mainstream fragrances are pretty stableAnyway, there's not a thing you can do about it so no point worrying about it. Well i guess you could only order fragrances in winter but that would be pretty boring

Blog Entries

If you take a look around ups, fedex, usps and dhl facilities all have massive warehouses (indoors) where packages are kept and sorted.
    I live near the airport and near the fedex/ups jet docking areas and all their containers do not seem to spend much time out in the sun before being sorted and trucked out.

When you think about it, how long do any of the packages really spend much time in one area? They're either in a truck, aircraft or warehouse/backroom before you pick them up and not the sun.

I can understand the concern, but upon reading the Phoenix guys thread, realized he's dealing with wayyy more heat than we ever get in LA and hasn't had any probelms. Welcome to Basenotes fellow Angeleno Sidney.

Banned

No, they would need to be subjected to intense and prolonged heat (and light) for it to have any detrimental effect.

Summer heat? Not a problem - I live in the UK. =D

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Summer heat? Not a problem - I live in the UK. =D
    Ditto coastal Northern California! My frags have been shivering in the summer fog.

In the reverse form of the initial question, how about extreme cold?

Where I live in Japan, though they've found a way to make everything else under the sun more convenient than can be imagined, they're still baffled by the concepts of "central heating" and "insulation". So when I'm not around my room can well reach freezing point to any liquids. I've seen on the boards that "too cold" can actually be bad for the juice as well, and with winter coming up in a few months I was just curious, as I'm heading back to visit Southern California for about 2 weeks this December and have been wondering how my collection will fare at around 0 Celsius.

Yes, a little. And how they've been stored by the seller, esp if they live somewhere that sounds hot.

Thanks for the responses, looks like I will have to take this paranoia and apply it to some other aspect of fragrances

Just because you're p . . . oh well you know the rest of it anyway . . .
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Nah!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Even if you buy something from a retail store, how do you think the frags got there. They were shipped in a hot delivery truck.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrydown View Post
    I don't think it's anything to worry about. Even if you buy something from a retail store, how do you think the frags got there. They were shipped in a hot delivery truck.
    The SA at Sephora assured me that they use cutting edge teleportation for their delivery services, and I refuse to believe any SA at this fine establishment would ever embellish facts to sell a product.