Code of Conduct

Default Splits policy revision 11/9/2012, UPDATE 4/16/2014- PLEASE READ

Since decant sales are forbidden on Basenotes, any "bottle splits" must follow some guidelines:
    All splits MUST be arranged and paid for in ADVANCE of the purchase with the cost of the bottle posted. Any new splitter with less than 500 posts(some who have been doing splits successfully prior to the rule change may continue to do so) may not start a split and anyone with less than 50 positive feedbacks may not post more than one split at a time. Anyone with any negative feedback may not post splits. The first split a new splitter attempts may not be for more than one split. No offering of the split after the bulk purchase will be allowed and and no resale of the splits will be allowed on Basenotes, as they are then considered to be decants. "Splits" are supposed to be a way for a prospective buyer to defray his/her costs by getting a small amount for themselves at cost. They are not supposed to be a profit making endeavor. Despite this fact, it is still in the thread starter's interest to see them completed. This policy will not please everyone, but unless someone can offer a reasonable alternative I will have to enforce this as stated. The bumping rules here should be less strict as the supposed lack of a profit incentive should keep things more reasonable than the sale board threads. Just to be fair to all however, I think posts such as "I wish I could get in on this but I can't" or "What color atomizer will I get?" should be relegated to PM's. Let's see how it goes. Thanks for your cooperation.

NOTE- if you claim a spot in a split and are not able to pay within several day as required by the splitter, please give all those involved the courtesy of a timely statement to that effect. If you fail to pay without notice, you may not be permitted to participate in splits in the future. Anyone committing to the last spot in a split and then backing out may not be permitted to participate in any other splits.

REVISION 9/8/2012:
    30 ml. bottle must cost $90 | 56 or more, minimum split is 5 ml.
    50 ml. bottle must cost $125 | 78 or more, minimum split is 10 ml.
    60 ml. bottle must cost $150 | 93 or more, minimum split is 10 ml.
    75 ml. bottle must cost $165 | 103 or more, minimum split is 15 ml.
    100 ml. bottle must cost $200 | 125 or more, minimum split is 20 ml.
    125 ml. bottle must cost $225 | 140 or more, minimum split is 25 ml.
    150 ml. bottles must cost $250 | 156 or more, minimum split is 30 ml.
    200 ml. bottles must cost $275 I 163 or more, minimum split is 40 ml.
    250+ ml. bottles must cost $350 | 218 or more, minimum split is 50 ml.
    GBP values may fluctuate

Any exceptions for smaller sized extremely expensive fragrances will be considered on a case-by-case basis. One split per fragrance is allowed until the first is completed, unless the first has a geographic restriction. Then a second split in a different restricted area would be allowed. If a fragrance is truly available in a given country at a higher price than in others, that country's price will be allowed to fit under the cost rules.

NOTE 7/19/2012- Although Basenotes has no responsibility to "fix" bad deals, we can put rules into place to somewhat protect members in the marketplace. Anyone subscribing to "offsite" deals is 100% on their own.

NOTE 8/31/2012- Leaving feedback here is no less important than in any other marketplace board. Please do so.

NOTE 11/9/2012- If you are considering offering a split (or splits), please do not do so if your job or personal life is so hectic as to prevent you from fulfilling the split in a timely manner. Splitters want people to pay promptly and subscribers want splitters to ship promptly. Anyone causing problems on either side may be subject to being put on the "split list". Despite the attempt at humor I believe everyone gets the idea.

NOTE 3/26/2013- Those offering splits offsite to avoid the requirements to do so here are collecting large amounts of money with little or no scrutiny. Splitter beware!

NOTE 4/10/13- Please see minimum post rule clarification above.
    Last edited by stuigi; 3rd May 2014 at 03:35 AM. Reason: revision

Default Re: SPLITS POLICY REVISION 2/13/2012- please read

Please read revision regarding only one split thread per person.

So I'm clear, does this mean as long as there's only one thread, more than one fragrance split can be listed within?

yes

Default Re: SPLITS POLICY REVISION 3/13/2012- please read

What's the difference between a decant and a split. I mean to split a bottle you have to decant it into lower volumes?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomKillsTime View Post
    What's the difference between a decant and a split. I mean to split a bottle you have to decant it into lower volumes?
    Decant is more of a colloquialism than anything. Of course, you have to physically decant the juice in a split. But "decant" sales are more the selling of very small portions of juice, as small as a few ml's. The point of a split is for everyone to get a good sized amount of juice, as if they were to buy that amount in a store, but get it for less. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind why BN doesn't allow smaller sizes, but I know it does make it easier for us splitters to fill splits because you don't have to deal with waiting for a 250 ml bottle to fill while everyone's buying up little 5 ml portions. So at least for me, it makes my splits run much more smooth and efficiently.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

i would like to make a post for a split and can't seem to figure it out. I've gone to the faqs and read everything before posting this. Anyhelp would be gladly appreciated'
    Thank You
    Anthony

You need a post count of 500 or more before you can do that.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/229...ketplace-rules
    To post in the Sale or Swap boards you must meet at least one of the following criteria

You are a supporting member
    You have been a member for over a year
    You have made over 500 posts (members we feel are posting purely to reach this threshhold will have their post count reduced)
    Afaik, that also applies to the Splits board.

Then I better get started. Thank you for your help

And I finally ran across the rules to post in the market place, thanks for posting that up Nasenmann. It's really helpful for new people like me. Looking forward to meeting one of those options in the criteria in the future, and maybe then I'll be able to provide fellow members with affordable options towards fragrances.

Default Re: Splits policy revision 7/19/2012- PLEASE READ

revision

Please put this in bold or as a separate sticky:
    NOTE- if you claim a spot in a split and are not able to pay within several day as required by the splitter, please give all those involved the courtesy of a timely statement to that effect. If you fail to pay without notice, you may not be permitted to participate in splits in the future. Anyone committing to the last spot in a split and then backing out may not be permitted to participate in any other splits.

done

Default Re: Splits policy revision 9/9/2012- PLEASE READ

Has there been an issue with splitters absconding with funds? Otherwise, I have trouble understanding the changes to the rules. I have been purchasing splits here for a while, and have been thinking about starting a couple Malle splits of my own, and now some of the splits I was going to join and/or start will violate the rules. There is one splitter now who has a number of splits available, and who has completed severa splits successfullyl, who will now be barred from splitting because of the rule change. Are these split threads going to be taken down? And, what about the individuals who have already signed ip to join those splits? The prior rules seemed to provide adequate protection, so unless there have been actual issues I am at a loss to understand the change.

Agree with what's changed, I would only add that those who purchase splits, PLEASE leave feedback so that splitters can rightfully reach the 50 positive mark if they deserve it. I've been splitting here for over a year and have well over 50 successful transactions, but nowhere near that many feedbacks received.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

I simply do not understand the basis for the change, and it eliminated quality splits from our forum. I appear to be in the minority though. So, my questions still stands: are these rules going to be uniformly enforced? Will fitch256 be limited to one split until he has 50 positive feedback ratings? Will the splits on the board that do not comply with the new rules be removed? Will they be removed even when the splits are partially filled? When will the enforcement of these rules begin?

It would be good for all members to have answers to these questions do we can know how to deal with the new rules.

All splits offered as of today will be grandfathered in and all regular splitters will be exempt. Otherwise the new rule is in effect. As some splits involve thousands of dollars, it should not be surprising that some cautions are necessary. Splitters should indeed get the courtesy of positive feedback through the proper feedback link in their profile as opposed to posting in the split thread.

So, as I understand it the rules do not apply equally to everyone?

The new rule is not intended to stop splits midstream. It is intended to change policy going forward. Any existing splits that are not be in compliance will be watched carefully.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I don't know if anyone else has problems reconciling the 'rationale' behind the rules on 'minimum split'. It seems arbitrary at best. For example, why should the minimum split size be 50 ml for 250ml or larger flacons? Why can't we have them in 10, 20 or 30 ml too? Rules such as these inadvertently exclude BNers who may be keen to get in on a split but find it unnecessary or wasteful to get it at the relatively large volume of 50 ml. Is there any particularly good reason why the minimum size cannot be left to the split organizer to decide?

As fitch256 said "...decant" sales are more the selling of very small portions of juice, as small as a few ml's. The point of a split is for everyone to get a good sized amount of juice, as if they were to buy that amount in a store, but get it for less. "I know it does make it easier for us splitters to fill splits because you don't have to deal with waiting for a 250 ml bottle to fill while everyone's buying up little 5 ml portions. So at least for me, it makes my splits run much more smooth and efficiently." Basenotes does not allow decant sales. Allowing very small amounts to be offered could easily be construed as decant sales.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    REVISION 9/8/2012:
    30 ml. bottle must cost $90 | 56 or more, minimum split is 5 ml.
    50 ml. bottle must cost $125 | 78 or more, minimum split is 10 ml.
    60 ml. bottle must cost $150 | 93 or more, minimum split is 10 ml.
    75 ml. bottle must cost $165 | 103 or more, minimum split is 15 ml.
    Looking at the rules, I'm afraid the earlier explanation concerning decants vs splits doesn't hold water. I certainly don't see 'full bottles' in these minimum splits of 5-15 ml. I've also seen large splits in stagnant mode for months and months because there are simply fewer takers at the 50 ml volume so the argument that it is easier for splitters to fill splits doesn't sound true either. I'm not trying to be difficult here but I'm just thinking how the community could be better served if the splitters are allowed more leeway in the volumes on offer. It's not as if they stand to profit from this somewhat arduous task of splitting.

10 ml splits? Or 10 ml decants? It's just semantics. A rose by any other name...

It is not a question of profit. Decant sales are forbidden here. Perhaps we should not allow any splits as they could all be construed as decant sales. What is semantics to you is an opportunity for others to get smaller amounts of otherwise cost prohibitive fragrances.

Default Re: Splits policy revision 11/9/2012- PLEASE READ

Split rules revision

New members please read

Stuigi, Im talking with BillyD about his Guerlain Pure Parfum Extraits splits.
    50ml of that ones, even if it costs less than retail price still VERY expensive, 160usd.
    And besides few exceptions (Spiritueuse Double Vanille) almost none got filled.

Could we have lower sizes allowed, like 30ml or 25ml, to get more people in?
    50ml of extrait is too much for a lifetime!

Although it is odd that an extrait would be sold in a very large size, there are two issues here. One is that the market for extraits is much smaller than for edp's, edt's etc. The second is that allowing small amounts of large bottles to be split can more easily be construed as decanting. I do not think allowing a bottle to be split into 20 parts is a wise thing for Basenotes.

As the original splitters here have been so good at advising me of concerns and violations, I apologize for not catching the several splitters who have done so in violation of the hosting requirements stated on 11/9/12. Several people with less than 500 posts have started splits. They have now been locked and any outstanding issues must be resolved privately by PM.

Default Re: Splits policy revision 11/9/2012, UPDATE 1/20/13- PLEASE READ

I thought the 500 posts rule was negated if the person was a Basenotes Plus member? I'm sure I read that in a previous rule revision.

I have no recollection of that. Whereas the Basenotes Plus membership requirement may be enough to ensure some degree of integrity in selling/swapping/posting wants, it is a small price to pay to be allowed to collect large sums of money as splits involve. The rules were changed on 11/9/12 in an attempt to add some security by requiring more of an established membership as 500 posts does. Although not foolproof, it has added the intended benefit as some members have acknowledged joining Plus just to do splits.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

FWIW I recall the posting of the requirement that members have 500 posts to host a split, even if they are BN Plus, for the reason that stuigi has just reiterated.

How do splits work? I am considering an Atelier Fragrance split 200ml bottle will cost $232 after taxes. Whats the min amount I can split? Do I buy bottle then split or wait till its filled then buy bottle? Will be my first time so need help. Thanks.

EDIT: Also if any1 knows where to get cheaper 200ml bottles shipped to Canada, please let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by Skyline; 18th March 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Skyline- You posted in the rules thread. Your answers are all here.
    Last edited by stuigi; 18th March 2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Skyline- You posted in the rules thread. Your answers are all here.
    So to recap:
    They pay first, then I buy the bottle.
    Minimum size splits is 30ml?

The 150ml bottle must cost $250? Its not very clear. That's the reason I asked.
    Im willing to split a 200ml bottle that costs $232 after taxes.

I am sorry, but your proposed bottle does not cost enough to split.

Default Re: Splits policy revision 11/9/2012, UPDATE 3/26/13- PLEASE READ

500 post?!! how does somone new get that much?!

I think you qualify because one year has elapsed since joining bn.

for swap/sale:

Does the part of this marketplace rule in parentheses apply to persons with low post counts who want to host splits?

"You have made over 500 posts (members we feel are posting purely to reach this threshold will have their post count reduced)"

It's in hand.

Quick question , you can host a split if you have been on basenotes for longer than one year AND have lower than 500 post?

It's all in the first post here

Since decant sales are forbidden on Basenotes, any "bottle splits" must follow some guidelines:
    All splits MUST be arranged and paid for in ADVANCE of the purchase with the cost of the bottle posted.
    Any new splitter with less than 500 posts(some who have been doing splits successfully prior to the rule change may continue to do so) may not start a split and anyone with less than 50 positive feedbacks may not post more than one split at a time. Anyone with any negative feedback may not post splits. End Quote

- see post #1 for full
    details.

Do you need to have 500 posts AND 50 feedbacks at the same times or just one standard is enough? I will reach 50 soon as I have several pending transactions and was wondering if I can host a split by then.

You'd need 500 posts, topnotes.

500 posts to host splits.

Additionally, only one split permitted for members with less than 50 feedbacks.

- etc., as stated in post #1

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    You'd need 500 posts, topnotes.

500 posts to host splits.

Additionally, only one split permitted for members with less than 50 feedbacks.

- etc., as stated in post #1
    Honestly, I think that rule should be changed. "500 posts" say nothing about how trustworthy one person is. The standards should be based on feedbacks.

Default Re: Splits policy revision 11/9/2012, UPDATE 4/16/2014- PLEASE READ

I'm thinking about starting splits of my own but looks like it will not be anytime soon as I'm no where near the 500 posts yet! Anyway, I see by the rules that splitting should not be a way to make profit off of members and that is fine with me. What I am wondering is what about overhead, shipping, bottles, stickers, etc... There has to be a slight profit in order to cover those cost. Further, say I buy a 250 mL decanter from a department store for $520, minus the sales tax and cost of shipping. I split it 5 ways or 50mL each and charge each individual $125 isn't that a profit of $105 dollars? So how can the rules suggest no profit?

Responding to the last two comments:
    A person who has been around long enough to make 500 legitimate posts(please see the rule about posting nonsense just to reach 500) shows some legitimacy as to their intentions here, whereas a person who buys a bunch of items does not necessarily do so.
    Although splits should be non-profit, the membership will respond to a split accordingly. If it is felt that the splitter is asking too much they will be so informed.

So I - as a new member - have to write 500 posts to can do a split?! I hope I will manage it before the Kilin Art of Love-line disappears again )

You have to have 500 posts to offer a split, but you may respond to one at any time.