Code of Conduct

Default Today's surprising discovery...no 5 and Bandit have a LOT in common

I thought I lost my mind this morning when I applied Chanel no 5 parfum and then on impulse added Bandit parfum to alternate pulse points. It seemed so wrong, almost like heresy, certainly a mistake. But what I found was that these two beauties have more in common than you would think. I wrote in my SotD post that I felt like "musk ravageur holding a bouquet of hot house flowers." Yes, that was the topnotes of aldehydes. But I must add after a full day's wearing, that the bases of both parfums are surprisingly similar, like sisters, really. No 5 put down the bouquet and began to groove and harmonize with Bandit. When I checked the notes, they have so many in common. In the top and heart, there is ylang ylang, rose and jasmine. In the base, we have musk, civet, patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss and amber in common. No. 5 has vanilla and sandalwood, Bandit myrhh and leather.

I must say this was a surprising discovery and I am so glad I followed my crazy intuitive impulse today. The two scents became more and more harmonious as the day progressed, each retaining their respective identities, and creating a pleasing dialogue. My imagination was delighted thinking about the elegant, well groomed sister getting along with her skanky unconventional sibling.

Has anything taken you by surprise today about a perfume, old or new, that you didn't notice before?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Today's surprising discovery...no 5 and Bandit have a LOT in common

Not today, but generally in the past weeks and months I smell more and more family connections among the great Guerlain classics such as there is a point I can clearly smell Shalimar in the vintage Vol de Nuit, then new extraits of Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit, L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar etc... now this is much more obvious than your comparison, of course!
    I am quite sure I smell a trace of Tabac Blond in N'aimez que moi when the drydown gets enhanced by a slight smokiness over the rose - violet candy accord, which is then my favorite part.

L'Heure Bleu and Apres L'Ondee in parfum are like twins.
    DONNA

Isn't it interesting how certain scents evolve and the various components take center stage over time? It's so magical.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Sorry but IMO Bandit, which I love, is completely different on me than No. 5.
    Alas No 5 is an aldehyde powder monster that I have to scrub off. I don't get any of that from Bandit.
    But today I wore a new Paloma Picasso and it seemed to have a Y vibe????

Sorry posted twice by mistake and don't know how to delete.

I don't have No. 5 around me right now but I think the two of them would work well together.
    Last edited by pluran; 4th September 2011 at 04:55 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Are we talking about 'new' No. 5 and Bandit parfum? Or vintage?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

both of the ones I have are about 5 years old and both are parfum versions. Interestingly, I find the parfum of no. 5 "dirtier" than the edt, and the parfum of Bandit, sweeter than its edt version. This may also account for how I am experiencing the harmony between the two. In the no. 5 parfum, the aldehydes seemed pulled down or restrained by the civet and the Bandit parfum reveals its more floral side.

Interesting, I'll have to try some different versions of each. I've never been a fan of No. 5 but love Bandit