Code of Conduct

Default Perfume is getting pricey!

Sorry for the rubbish title but why is everything going over the £100 mark these days. When i first got into scents i could go down to Libertys and try some new eccentric frag from the likes of comme de garcon and have change of 50 pounds. It was fun and affordable. Now everything is as expensive as Amouage or a Frederic Malle. At least they use expensive raw materials. Molecule 01, or should i say iso e for £100. What an insult.

Default Re: Perfume is getting pricey!

It's not a cheap industry and unfortunately many of the costs are passed on to the consumer.

It's only going to get worse though there are online discounters and bargains can be had for the careful minded.

It's disgusting isn't it?

As long as we will pay, why not?

Perfume is a luxury item, especially for the better products.

Get used to it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

AromiErotici

It's an expendable income item and since more people ( in general ) are wearing scent these days, we have a proliferation of releases ( good and bad ). Getting what you pay for still holds water for the most part, but there are exceptions.

Basenotes Plus

Decants are still affordable. So don't get too attached to original bottles.

Basenotes Plus

"Getting" pricey? It's always been a luxury item. My dear departed mama would be ashamed of me for spending the money I do on perfume, and I rarely pay retail.
    All hobbies are expensive, in reality.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Sur la Plage

I am just glad the price of everything else is going down.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Banned
    Blog Entries

It is soooooooooooo much less expensive than fine wine, if you break it down. One can easily drop two years' worth of perfume funds over dinner. Perfume is actually a bargain, if you think about it in those terms.

Of course, one can choose to drink cheap wine and wear bargain-bin juice. And sometimes, in the latter case, it's actually great--against all rational expectations...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yes, I'm house hunting while looking to buy a new car.

There are different levels of luxury. Perfume is at the top, along with watches and sports cars. Because less of the population focuses on these higher level luxuries, the profit margin increases.
    Visit any watch forum. It costs about 3 to 4 thousand to make a very high end watch but it sells for 30 and 40 thousand because those after this tier of luxury tend to have more disposable income than others seeking lower tier luxury items.

for swap/sale:

Im not a miser. I pay gladly for quality but molecule 01 ? How much did that cost to make.
    One of my favorite buys form years back , kyoto still costs me £45.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yup

I bought a shirt for $45 at H&M. I got about 10 wearings out of it, till it started to look old and worn out. I can buy a decant of something I like for $45 and get many more wearings out of that one decant than I did the shirt.

I get the point that prices are going up, the dollar is weak, so even food is a lot these days. I can't eat perfume, but I can smell good in my old worn out H&M shirt.

Most fragrant retailers, both stores and online, are pretty much constantly keeping the prices reasonable, seems that recession does have its advantages after all

I've always found perfume to be pricey. And actually, I think it is much more affordable now than when I was younger. Sure there will always be many brands that price things about $100 ( or Euros....etc). But you gotta know how to shop. At the same time, I don't mind paying retail for many fragrances. I'm far from rich. Not even close. But I just cut back on spending in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Most fragrant retailers, both stores and online, are pretty much constantly keeping the prices reasonable, seems that recession does have its advantages after all
    This man is knows.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Member

I buy mine online .__. there are lots of perfumes I want but there way to expensive for my price range

hmm, in holland fragrances are pretty reasonable i think? usually what u ppl consider discounted is the price we have here normally, dhi was around 70 euro's chanel's egoiste was 63 euro's, planning on ordering l'instant de guerlain extreme this week, its about 52 euros

I was referring to niche lines. Frederic Malle, for example big price hike. Commercial lines there is still bargains to be had. Bought Bvlgari Black from a pharmacy for £35 last week.

I can't believe D&G Light Blue is $89US and The One is $95. I think that's too much for those perfumes...$75 should be the max

Well, I still can't get over the fact that Les Exclusifs cost $110 for a 75ml bottle, which is ~£70, but sells for £100 in the UK! That's like 150% of the American RRP. Of course not mentioning the fact that you can actually buy them online, whereas we have to trek to the nearest department store or order by phone. Very, very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by kusum65 View Post
    I was referring to niche lines. Frederic Malle, for example big price hike. Commercial lines there is still bargains to be had. Bought Bvlgari Black from a pharmacy for £35 last week.
    It depends on the line. Miller Harris is very reasonable ( depending on where you buy and what fragrances). Il Profumo is at decent rates. Comme des Garcons as well.

Yeah, Malle is pricey. There are a few that are for sure. Its complicated.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Xqizit View Post
    hmm, in holland fragrances are pretty reasonable i think? usually what u ppl consider discounted is the price we have here normally, dhi was around 70 euro's chanel's egoiste was 63 euro's, planning on ordering l'instant de guerlain extreme this week, its about 52 euros
    You forgot to add converted 50 euro is about $350.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcndiamond View Post
    You forgot to add converted 50 euro is about $350.
    Nope. 50 EUR = 67 USD

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amoun...rom=EUR&To=USD

Or, in real money, 43 GBP